PDA

View Full Version : What Vitamins/Suppliments do you take and why?

PrncsNYC
02-17-2004, 01:13 PM
I am interested in finding out what people use and why...what are the benefits of things other than a multi?

tia!

JKATHERINE
02-17-2004, 01:19 PM
I only take my prenatals....

nanajoanie
02-17-2004, 02:21 PM
I take 1 Centrum multi vitamin plus minerals faithfully everyday. I'm a puny veggie eater so this is how I get my goodies.

PrncsNYC
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
nana, which minerals do you take? I'm a vegetarian who hates veggies! lol

Dolly<3
02-17-2004, 02:44 PM
LOL I hate veggies too and I was a vegan for 4 years. :p I dunno how I did it.

I take Greens+ http://greensplus.com/

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Do NOT laugh....I'm 29 years old and take 2 Flintstones everyday....knock on wood, I've haven't been seriously sick. It also helps me out alot since I'm underweight. And it's not from lack of eating either!!!

BigLyd1
02-17-2004, 06:41 PM
I actually had a nutritionist recommend the children's chewable vitamins because they're digested a lot easier.

nanajoanie
02-17-2004, 06:46 PM
PrncsNYC - The Centrum vitamins plus minerals are all in the same huge tablet. I think there are 11 minerals in there. The writing is so small I can't read it anymore, not even with bifocals. I do know it has iron, zinc, naicin, anti-oxidants plus others. Read the label at the drug store or wherever you buy that kid of product. It's the only brand I've taken in about 15 years and I am RARELY ever sick, no flu, colds, tummy aches, headaches, etc. All I have is sinus drips.

Countrymom
02-18-2004, 06:37 AM
I take a multivitamin, multimineral supplement (Centrum). And a calcium supplement. The extra calcium is because I am petite and I am trying to prevent myself getting osteoporosis.

Suz*e*
02-18-2004, 06:48 AM
B-12, bee pollen, or royal jelly all for energy I need to exercise and meet my New Years Resolutions "weight-loss".
Just started, BUT ...So far, it is a miracle for my otherwise intolerable low energy levels!

ShelleyG
02-18-2004, 07:38 AM
does coffee count?

DBackFan
02-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Multi
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
L-Carnitine

I am on Atkins and these all help :)

schsa
02-18-2004, 09:29 AM
I take a multi vitamin and I use Vitamin E on my skin. So far so good.

dixiechicken
02-18-2004, 10:21 AM
I take the GNC Women's Multi Vitamin with Iron, Don Quai (it helps with PMS, cramps and mood swings), Green Tea Extract (energy and weight loss), Acidophilus (found in yogurt, active cultures, help fight infections and keeps me stable), Zinc and Echinachea (immune system helpers)

Hope this helps

evrita
02-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Let me see I take apples Oranges Clemintines celery carrots Raisins grapes... LOL I cant take Vitimans they make me ill after my surgery they had me take Iron ICK to get my blood supply back

PrncsNYC
02-18-2004, 02:35 PM
thanks everyone, this is what I was looking for! Keep it going please!

DivineMsDi
02-18-2004, 05:06 PM
I take iron every night because I was anemic. I will be getting a new blood test soon so I will find out if it helped. I tried to take a daily vitamin but they all seem to upset my stomach, no matter if I take them with food or not.

cadwellm
02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
The FDA regulations are the absolute minimum amount a person needs to get by. Most people need more. Normally a multivitamin is minimum amounts. And you get what you pay for. The cheaper vitamins are harder to dissolve and absorb. Purchase the more expensive ones and you won't be wasting your money.

When shopping for vitamins be careful what you buy. Do this simple test to see if the pill/capsule can even be readily dissolved by your body: put the pill/capsule in a glass, add a 1/4 cup of white vinegar. If after 30 minutes it hasn't dissolved then your body won't be able to dissolve it either and don't buy the product.

Some of the vitamins that you need more of are D, A, calcium and the B vitamins.

D is easily absorbed from dairy. A from 20-30 minutes a day in the sun. Calcium from green leafy vegies are more absorbable than that found in dairy and don't ever use calcium carbonate (egg shells) as your body doesn't like to absorb that. B vitamins pills are a must s as most foods don't have enough because they are grown in soils that have been severely depleted in nutrients. That's why a selenium vitamin is also a good idea as a person doesn't get enough from food anymore either and that helps to regulate hormones.

justme23
02-19-2004, 08:05 AM
We only take Centrum multis. We asked our physician when we had our physicals about what all vitamins and minerals we should be taking. She said just to take one multi a day and not to try and pick and choose what else to add. The multis ARE the bare minimum but they are intended to suppliment what you take in from what you eat every day. She said it is far worse to OVER do it than to UNDER do it and not to get crazy about it. So we don't. We take our multi and we're done w/ it.

rhyann
02-19-2004, 11:56 AM
i get all of my vitamins from gnc. i take:

gnc multi vitamin (the one with like 63 things in it)
amino acids complex (in a blue bottle) (have had a lot more energy since starting these about 2 months ago)
vitamin b complex
and calcium with magneseum (before bed. supposed to help sleep better)

Natasha
02-19-2004, 01:41 PM
I take Olay packets: I got one energy and another beauty nutrients and I take energy one day and beauty n. another day and so on. Also I take additional calcium and C.