PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Albom: I Want To Hold Your . .

janelle
02-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Posted on Thu, Feb. 12, 2004

It was 40 years ago this week when the Beatles shook up America on "The Ed Sullivan Show." I thought about that Sunday night on CBS. Then I thought about another recent Sunday night on CBS -- when Janet Jackson popped her top.

In both cases, it was huge news.

In both cases, the artists received worldwide "exposure."

In both cases, you had young people saying it was no big deal and old people wringing their hands as if the world were about to end.

The difference, as I see it, is the music. The Beatles, to be honest, were tame in their performance on the Sullivan show. They wore suits. They smiled. They did less jiggling than Elvis had done eight years earlier. The thing that made the audience scream was their hair, their cuteness and, yes, the fact that their songs were hotter than a brush fire.

In Jackson's case, I've already forgotten what she was singing. It wasn't new. It wasn't hot. The audience on the field was simulated, the way they are now at every Super Bowl, with young extras hired by the host committee to act as if they're really, truly enjoying the show.

Am I starting to sound old? Well, the danger in growing up, musically, is that everything new seems lousy and everything old seems great. Much of this is because old people -- meaning older than 25 -- are irrelevant when it comes to music sales.

But comparing the Beatles and Janet Jackson, it's the music that is the relevant topic.

The Beatles were controversial because of their music and style. Jackson was controversial only because she went semi-naked.

And I guess that's what saddens people my age. We truly connected to the songs of our artists -- because we didn't have video. They didn't play the Super Bowl. If the song couldn't stand on its own musically, it disappeared. Stripping didn't help it.

Times change. But time has a way of putting things in perspective. Forty years from now -- maybe when all earthlings walk around half-naked -- people will chuckle at the fuss we made over Jackson's strip.

But I doubt anyone will be singing her songs.

Meanwhile, if I start a line from one of the tunes the Beatles did on "Ed Sullivan" 40 years ago, I'm pretty sure you can finish it. How about, "I want to hold your...."?

Those of you who said "breast": Please leave the room.

stresseater
02-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Hand. Hahaha that was great.:D

CARROLIN
02-12-2004, 11:33 PM
LISTEN UP!!!!

ONLY TO THE PRODUCERS OF THE "TRUTH" COMMERCIALS.
;) :D ;)

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE PASSED BY?...:)

ONLY MY JANELLE...AHHDUHHH!!!:) LMBO! SPEAK ON!

((((JANELLE))))))

SMILES.

CARROLIN
02-12-2004, 11:40 PM
WAITA MINUTE...;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH...

WHAT DOES YOUR NEWSPAPERS SAY??;) :D ;) LMBO!

SORRY, COULDN'T RESIST.;) ;) ;)

YOU SHOULD GET PAID FOR WHAT HE SAYS, `CUZ YOU DO
IT BETTER!:)

SMILES AGAIN.

stresseater
02-13-2004, 12:17 AM
I want what carrolin is having.:cool: :D :D ;) :D :D

CARROLIN
02-16-2004, 12:40 PM
COULDN'T HELP IT THAT NIGHT...

ALL THE CLEANSERS I USED TO CLEAN FOR MY MOVE, AND ALL...

LMBO!;) ;)

SMILES.

Suz*e*
02-16-2004, 01:03 PM
The audience on the field was simulated, the way they are now at every Super Bowl, with young extras hired by the host committee to act as if they're really, truly enjoying the show.

Although Janet and Justin can put on a show. Many other performers really use this tactic to brain wash other teens into thinking that attractive other teens are digging this new stuff which would never have made it without an agent being paid to make people think certain entertainers are SO HOT!

Teens buying into hype, my kids are gonna so be aware of this marketing crap.

Like the girls in the Hey Ya video by Outcast, I seen them talking about how some of them thought it was so dumb afterwards. They were some of the ones screaming in the video!

Same thing for sucky videos too! I am glad people are starting to understand this. In the 80's this type thing was unnecessary!