PDA

View Full Version : The successful cloning of a human embryo - and the extraction of stem cells from it.

Jolie Rouge
02-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Therapeutic Cloning Prompts Call for Ban
By PAUL RECER

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1501&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20040212%2F2325345238.htm&sc=1501&photoid=20040212TSW111

SEATTLE (AP) - In a clash of politics and science, the first successful cloning of a human embryo - and the extraction of stem cells from it - has ignited new calls for a ban on all forms of human cloning in the United States.

The cloning announcement by South Korean scientists on Thursday prompted members of Congress and church leaders to ask for immediate legislation.

``Cloning human beings is wrong. It is unethical to tinker with human life,'' said Rep. Joe Pitts, R-Pa. A ban must be passed, he said, ``before this unethical science comes to our shores.''

The Bush administration favors such action and referred reporters to a statement by the president calling for ``a comprehensive and effective ban.''

``Human life is a creation, not a commodity, and should not be used as research material for reckless experiments,'' Bush said last month.

Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., who voted against a bill passed last year by the House that called for a ban on human cloning, said there needs to be legislation that would prevent cloning of babies, but permit ``lifesaving stem cell research to proceed under strict ethical guidelines.''

Two South Korean scientist who announced the landmark achievement here Thursday said they have already been the target of street demonstrations and egg-throwing incidents in Seoul even though their work is directed at treating diseases and not at making cloned babies.

Woo Suk Hwang, lead author of the study, admitted at a news conference that the technique developed in his lab ``cannot be separated from reproductive cloning'' and called on every country to prevent the use of the technology in that way.

He said the work was controlled and regulated by the Korea Stem Cell Research Center ``to prevent the remote possibility of any uncontrolled accidents such as human reproductive cloning.''

Shin Yong Moon, a co-author of the study, said the work must continue because of its great promise for treating of diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, spinal cord injury and diabetes. But he said a new law passed in Korea will now require his group to get a government license before proceeding with their research.

The medical use of stem cells derived from cloning will require at least another decade of research, he said.

Both Hwang and Moon are researchers at the Seoul National University.

Donald Kennedy, editor of the journal Science, which published the study, said the work is not a recipe for cloning babies.

``It is a recipe (for human cloning) in the sense that 'catch a turtle' is the recipe for turtle soup,'' said Kennedy at a news conference. ``There is much difficulty that would remain for anybody who tried to use this technology as a first step toward reproductive cloning.''

Hwang, Moon and their team created the human embryo after collecting 242 eggs from 16 unpaid, anonymous volunteers. They also took from each woman cells from the ovaries. To attempt male embryo cloning, they used cells taken from the ear lobes of adult men.

The researchers extracted the nucleus from each of the eggs and then inserted the nucleus from the other cells.

The eggs were then nurtured into blastocysts, an early stage of embryo development, and the stem cells were extracted.

Hwang said the group had a 43 percent success rate in making cloned embryos, but was successful only in making one colony of stem cells. Only the embryos made using both the nucleus and the egg from the same woman successfully matured enough to make stem cells, he said; eggs that received nuclei from adult male cells or from adult cells of women other than the egg donor failed to produce stem cells.

Hwang, a veterinarian, developed the cloning technique on animals and then teamed with Moon for the human embryo experiment.

Embryonic stem cells are the source of all tissue. Researchers believe they can be coaxed to grow into heart, brain or nerve cells that could be used to renew ailing organs.

In the experiment, Hwang and his team said, the embryonic stem cells in tests that followed the cells for 70 divisions formed muscle, bone and other tissue.

Using cloned embryonic stem cells for therapy would avoid the problem of tissue rejection. Cloned stem cells, in theory, would be an exact genetic match to the cell donor and would not be attacked by the immune system.

Regulations approved by President Bush permit federal funding of stem cell research, but only on cell lines created from embryos destroyed before Aug. 9, 2001. The approved cell lines were not created by cloning, however.

Kennedy, the Science editor, said the U.S. restrictions are handicapping American researchers.

``There is no question that the degree of restriction has given other nations some significant advantage,'' he said.

02/12/04 23:24

Jolie Rouge
02-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Stem Cell Procedure Mixes New, Old Ways
By MALCOLM RITTER

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1500&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20040212%2F2306344765.htm&sc=1500&photoid=20040212SEL101

The procedure Korean scientists used to create the first human stem cells from cloned embryos is a mix of standard and unusual lab techniques, and it's not clear yet what steps were critical to success.

Those methods must be improved, however, before they can be used to supply cells for medical treatment, the Korean researchers said.

Basically, the goal was this: to take human eggs, insert DNA from other cells, get the eggs to grow into early embryos in the lab, and then destroy the embryos to remove their stem cells. The stem cells are a genetic match of the person who donated the DNA.

In theory they can be spurred to become specialized cells and transplanted into the donor to replace faulty tissue without fear of rejection. The hope is that one day these cells can be used to treat a variety of ailments from spinal cord injuries to diabetes.

One key advantage the Koreans enjoyed was a large supply of fresh human eggs: 242 obtained from 16 volunteers who donated them specifically for the study. In contrast, researchers normally get leftover eggs from fertility clinics, so they are not only aged but potentially of less than top-notch quality, said stem-cell researcher Gerald Schatten of the University of Pittsburgh.

The Korean scientists used a new method to remove the DNA from the eggs. Normally, the DNA is sucked out with a fine needle. The Korean researchers instead created a tiny hole in the egg membrane and squeezed the DNA out. That appears to remove less of the cell material surrounding the nucleus.

Another unusual step was replacing each egg's DNA with genetic material from the same woman who donated the egg. In animal work, most scientists take the DNA from a different individual, because that makes it easier to prove the resulting embryo is using the donated DNA.

But maybe taking the egg and the DNA from the same individual gives an advantage, Schatten said. When the DNA is inserted, it carries along material from the cell it came from, so maybe the Korean procedure gets around some incompatibility problem when inserted material from one individual mixes with an egg taken from another, he said.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the benefits of stem cells would be limited to women of child-bearing age, Schatten said, but it's an issue for further investigation.

Once the DNA was inserted into the egg, the Koreans experimented with how long to wait until they spurred the egg to grow. Rather than proceeding right away, as is done in pig cloning, they got better results by waiting a couple hours to let the DNA reprogram itself to drive development of an embryo. That's what scientists do when they clone cows.

The scientists also focused on the ingredients of the chemical ``soup'' in which the embryos grew, using the sugar fructose rather than the more commonly used glucose, for example.

Schatten said it's not clear which, if any, of the steps the Koreans chose made a crucial difference in the outcome. But in any case, he said, ``this is a spectacular achievement.''

02/12/04 23:05

stresseater
02-12-2004, 10:59 PM
....and so it begin......:( :( :(

sivohdarba
02-13-2004, 03:36 AM
It is so wrong..SO WRONG!!!!!!

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-13-2004, 05:58 AM
I also think cloning is wrong BUT stem cells are a major issue in medical research, the cells are used in hopes of "curing" paraplegics/quadriplegic (Christopher Reeves,is a major supporter in stem cell reasearch)

There are PRO'S and CON'S with everything.

ladybugbhb
02-13-2004, 07:52 AM
i know that stem cell are a major issue, but someone told me that they can get the EXACT same thing from the placenta. i do nto know if this is true or not, that is why i posted it. can someone tell me? i think this is SOOOOOOOOOO wrong. just one step closer. <><

nanajoanie
02-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm all for this research. Just wish they would have done it years ago as it can help Parkinson patients like my Mom. Chris Reeves has been great in pushing this research along:) And as far as placenta cells, seems they were against that for fear women would get pregnant and have abotions to collect money for the placentas. The doctors must be all males and figure females have no brains.

schsa
02-13-2004, 01:49 PM
If this is the difference between ending diabetes, Parkinson's and different types of cancer, I am all for it. We have an opportunity here to make our children healthier and provide them with long lives that will not be stopped by dibilitating diseases.

If this is the answer I am all for it. If this changes medicine in the future so that people aren't dependent on pills or surgery to correct genetic problems, I am happy. Continue the research and find the cures!

Jolie Rouge
02-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Stem cells can be harvested from the cord blood after the delivery which is simply discarded at this time. I asked for and was in the process of donating the cord blood from my last pregnancy when they came two months ahead of schedule. Why go to the expense and moral issues of creating life in order to "harvest" the stem cells when we are throwing a viable resource in the trash everyday ?

gemini26
02-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I agree Jolie and I may get flamed for this but to start curing everything is just going to overpopulate our world and its getting overextended as it is. We have diseases, cancers, and the such for a reason, to control population naturally.

justme23
02-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Our world is not over extended. They just did the over population bit on 20/20. You can fit every human on earth in Texas and still have more space to move around than they do in NYC. Texas may be big, but put up next to the rest of the world, that's a really tiny space.

I am all for stem cell research but I think cloning of anything human should be against the law in every country in the world. I am so totally against it!

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-14-2004, 02:33 PM
As I said,cloning NO,but women are having abortions for what ever reason,by all means use what is removed from her (I AM NOT SAYING GET PREGNANT JUST TO ABORT TO GET THE CELLS) I donated my placenta.

But,if researchers can use the aborted fetus,still born,a child that dies at birth etc..do it.

tsquared
02-14-2004, 04:14 PM
i believe cloning is wrong and nothing will be gained by it.....however if research will save a life later on with out the cloning process then i say go for it

houseoconfusion
02-15-2004, 07:30 AM
I believe cloning is opening up an entire world of trouble we sure don't need already in our already "troubled" world. I for one DO NOT want to walk down the road to see my "cloned child or twin". Please tell me how this will be prevented? Eventually all they will need is your dna, to clone something. And anyone who believes different is sadly mistaken. Look how far they've come already. Who ever believed even 10 years ago that we would be discussing this topic, it would have sounded like a bad Star Trek movie. It is messing with nature and everyone knows when you mess with nature bad things happen. I'm all for research goodness knows we need it, I have asthma, my grandmother died of alezheimers, my grandfather died of cancer, my neice has cancer, my dear sweet neighbor has Parkinson's, see the list goes on but that is NO excuse to clone. Let reseach be done the "natural" way, the way it is intended to be done, if it takes a bit longer than we like, well so be it. NOT being cold-hearted but the is "the circle of life" we were not put on this earth to live forever, it's not the way it was intended. As for overpopulating has anyone ever heard of "soilet green", it's not that far-fetched. Yes, maybe everyone could fit in TX, but how standing up packed in like sardines? where is the food growing? What about room to breath, grass and trees to grow to make our air? and if people were living to well past 100 as a norm it would only take, what 5 or 6 generations to make life so crowded it would be unbarable, is that really better for our kids? JMHO< Dawn

gemini26
02-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Thank you heart! You said it better than I.

ntgsmommy
02-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree Jolie and I may get flamed for this but to start curing everything is just going to overpopulate our world and its getting overextended as it is. We have diseases, cancers, and the such for a reason, to control population naturally.....posted by gemini

I cannot agree with this..stem cell research will hopefully one day cure people with diseases, who are we to say that they shouldn't be cured?? Also, my son is 11 and has many disability problems, if this is one step closer for him to have a "normal" life, then who am I or anyone to try and take that right from him? he didn't ask to be here, nor did he ask to be born with these problems. I didn't drink or do drugs when I was pregnant, so why did he get these problems..? If this was available to him while in utero or shortly after birth, he could be running and playing with his friends, instead of sitting in a wheelchair...that's my opinion.

cadwellm
02-15-2004, 06:15 PM
I think it's great they can make stem cells and I am scared to death that they can make stem cells.

Great cuz we're closer to making human organs that won't be rejected by the recipients.

Scared cuz they're that much closer to making human clones.

Who knows where either of these are going to take us.

Call me a conspiracist but I've always had a fear that someone along the line is going to try to make a clone of Jesus and that may end up being the anti-Christ.