PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of banning the rebel flag?

ImaGApeach
02-11-2004, 09:14 PM
The school here is really pushing the banning of wearing anything with a rebel flag-IMO I think there are alot of other things that could use their attention
Dixie outfitter shirts are HUGE around here
The thing I find kind of stupid is the middle school mascot is a Rebel-that is what it has been as long as I can remember Jr High rebels
I hope I do not get flamed as I am sure the opinions of this varies and there is a big controversy on this topic
I myself do not have a problem with the rebel flag but I was born and raised in the South(small town in GA)-its something that has always been around these parts. I feel that it should be up to the indivials if they want to wear something with it on it or have one in their yard etc.

AngelGrim
02-11-2004, 09:22 PM
i don't live in the south, but I never really saw anything wrong with the flag, I never saw it as a racist thing, i always thought of it as the bad boy wanna be wild and drink and ride my bike where ever i want, ignore the parents and the law kind of flag. I am not a racist person, i think we are all equal, and hate the thought of racism being involved in a thing like that. It is sad.

YankeeMary
02-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Angel I agree with you comletely...billy bad butts always used the flag as a sign of what you said...when I think if the flag I think of a redneck, tobacco chewing guy driving a big 4x4 truck through the mud...lol...I wasn't raised in the south (North) but now live in the south. I guess the reason I see nothing wrong with it is because of what it means to me. But must agree with IMGaPeach so many other things to worry about thats much more important.

Hillbilly
02-11-2004, 09:30 PM
I personally don't think it should be banned.

MistyWolf
02-11-2004, 09:30 PM
I am not from the South, but I personally don't have a problem with the rebel flag.

To a lot of people it symbolizes racisim, but to me it symbolizes history.

If I was from the South, I'd be proud to display the flag in my home.

Quaker_Parrots
02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
I personally thing the banning of that flag would be like trying to bury history. And if you think about it, was the confederate flag a true racist symbol before a couple of select groups started using it for such a purpose?

catssass
02-11-2004, 09:49 PM
"Gives a rebel yell"....Nothing should be banned, thats why we live in America, we have freedom of speech, and the flag represents alot of things, good and bad..

fatesfaery
02-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm probably in the minority of southerners, but I feel that as long as it is offensive to a large percentage of people, it should be banned from state flags and from flying over state capitols.

When they took the confederate flag down from the capitol in SC, in was embarassing the way some people who were protesting acted. I was working at a Sally's in Columbia the day they took it down and had a conversation with an african-american lady about it. She said she didn't even realize it was the day that it was supposed to come down, that it didn't really matter to her one way or another, and that when it came to the people being so vocal about protesting, she just considered to source....on both sides.

I know many people consider it a sign of their herritage, and I'm not saying that it should be banned from existance. Herritage is a wonderful thing that should be remembered, but I think it's silly to try to live in a past that happened 140 years ago. I know the civil war was about more than slavery, but slavery was a main issue of the war. I have ancestors who fought on both sides, and a ggg-grandfather who was killed fighting for the confederacy. There's a chapter of the United Daughters of The Confederacy(which doesn't even use the standard confederate flag as an emblem) named after one of my ancestors in SC,I'm very aware of my southern herritage and don't need a battle flag to remind me of it.

DS was in middle school around the time the Malcolm X movie came out, shirts with a single X started showing up everywhere, then the shirts with the confederate flag that said "You wear your X and I'll wear mine".....DS never wanted one and wouldn't have gotten it if he had.

If I were going to put a flag in my yard to denote my heritage, it would make more sense to fly the flags of Scotland and Ireland since that's where most of my ancestors originated.

Jolie Rouge
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree with almost everything you had to say, Fatesfaery, except for one :
. I know the civil war was about more than slavery, but slavery was a main issue of the war.

This is a common misconception. If that were true - why did Lincoln wait until three years into the war to draft the Emancipation Proclamation ? Why did it free *only* the slaves in the Southern States that supported the Confederacy ? The Northern and Western States and even some of the Territories all held their slaves until AFTER the wars' end. The Civil War was about Taxation, Tarrifs and States Rights.

HOWEVER - I would be proud to fly my Scotts, Irish, German, English, Portuguese, and Acadian flags along side yours... {{ that is going to have be a tall pole ... }}

fatesfaery
02-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Jolie Rouge
I agree with almost everything you had to say, except for one :
. I know the civil war was about more than slavery, but slavery was a main issue of the war.

This is a common misconception. If that were true - why did Lincoln wait until three years into the war to draft the Emancipation Proclamation ? Why did it free *only* the slaves in the Southern States that supported the Confederacy ? The Northern and Western States and even some of the Territories all held their slaves until AFTER the wars' end. The Civil War was about Taxation, Tarrifs and States Rights.
:) :) I've been holding my breath since I posted that. If that is the most anyone disagrees with what I said, It will be a huge sigh of relief. I did know there were many issues involved with the civil war and that slavery was just one of them.

Jolie Rouge
02-11-2004, 10:16 PM
{{smooches}}

The reasons and justifications behind the Civil War ( or the Great Unpleasantness) were personal and political and way too complicated too go into here ... it is just a gross oversimplification when people say "It was slavery" that does a great injustice to all that were involved in the conflict.

G'night

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-11-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm a Southern Belle wanna be...I don't think it should be banned. It's part of OUR Country's history and heritage.

DS was in middle school around the time the Malcolm X movie came out, shirts with a single X started showing up everywhere, then the shirts with the confederate flag that said "You wear your X and I'll wear mine".....DS never wanted one and wouldn't have gotten it if he had.
My question to this....why is wearing one shirt ok for one group of people and not the other? I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm just curious.

ImaGApeach
02-11-2004, 11:15 PM
"My question to this....why is wearing one shirt ok for one group of people and not the other? I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm just curious."
I have wondered the same thing.
I feel like the flag is part of our history and banning the flag-is not going to change history and everything that happened-I do not really understand how the flag can represent rasism and why people are offended. What next get rid of all books that pertain to the past and everyone's history?
Edited to add: Every year the school has a mandatory paper that everyone has to write for the United Daughters of The Confederacy that is put in a contest plus counts for a grade.

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM
ImaGApeach....thanks bunches for not flaming me! You may rememeber the post I did a couple weeks ago regarding my cousin and the t-shirt incidents. That's why asked that question.
But seriously folks, I would like to get everyone's take on that. Sorry for rambling!

ImaGApeach
02-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by JENNIFERCATLADY
ImaGApeach....thanks bunches for not flaming me! You may rememeber the post I did a couple weeks ago regarding my cousin and the t-shirt incidents. That's why asked that question.
But seriously folks, I would like to get everyone's take on that. Sorry for rambling!
Your Welcome lol
I was almost afraid to post this at all lol
Cause I figured I would be flamed
I still do not get that the schools mascot and team is "The Rebels"
and cannot wear a rebel flag shirt

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-11-2004, 11:40 PM
I still do not get that the schools mascot and team is "The Rebels"
and cannot wear a rebel flag shirt
Doesn't make any sense to me!!!

Dolly<3
02-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by AngelGrim
i don't live in the south, but I never really saw anything wrong with the flag, I never saw it as a racist thing, i always thought of it as the bad boy wanna be wild and drink and ride my bike where ever i want, ignore the parents and the law kind of flag.

Ditto.

happyjolucky
02-12-2004, 02:28 AM
SOUTHERN GAL AND VERY VERY VERY PROUD OF THE FLAG.

I see the flag as part of history, a part of something that many people believe in. I personally hate to see the news where it has been banned somewhere, and I am ashamed that it was took off our capitol. I am more ashamed in the people. The ones that think the flag is racist are in my mind, quiet uneducated. As many above have said, there were alot more issues to the war than slavery, although it was one, the flag does not in my mind represent this. In the time of the confederacy people in the south were seen as patriotic if they flew this flag, or one of the many used as battle flags in this war in their front yard. These days however if people fly the flag they are automatically thought of as racist.Though there is good reason for people to think this (seeing that there are over 600 racist groups that use the confederate flag)the people that fly or display the confederate flag in any way could just as well be displaying it as a SYMBOL OF HERITAGE.

It is because of these people that stay with their family tradition that the flag remains a strong part of American history. Thousands of people still look up to the flag as something that represents their past relatives and their Southern heritage. Without the flag and the story behind the flag, this country would probably have never shaped into the current United States that we ALL know of today.

thats about all I have to say......:D pnut

CarolinaBlue
02-12-2004, 04:29 AM
I was born and raised in the South and to me the flag was not about racism. It was, and still is, a symbol of the South and our heritage.

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-12-2004, 05:22 AM
CarolinaBlue & pnutbutter~ I agree

Besides,my son has a rebel flag tattoo (without my knowledge) but it's ok,I am no racist,neither is he.It's history,plain and simple.

latestdish
02-12-2004, 05:41 AM
I am both a Yankee, and what is known around here as a liberal liberal. I am "supposed" to, because of where I live, and the party I belong to, support that kind of ban. I don't see it that way. I see, as many of you see, a very complicated list of divisions that caused the war. They include many issues, including slavery, states rights, etc. They were so complex, that they tore many family's apart. I agree that this is a free country, the flag is part of Southern history, and it should be allowed to be worn, if displayed tastefully. The flag has been wrongly displayed on many hate groups literature and URLS over the years. (For example, the KKK,John Birch society, etc.) However, that is an abuse of display of the flag many southerners disagree with. Don't ban the flag because of a weird minority, ban the hate. Parents that teach their children to respect
children of all colors and backgrounds can go a much longer way in building a better society than banning a flag. I married a rebel, so I may be a little biased on this subject, however.

YankeeMary
02-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Jolie is so right about the cause of war...I never fully understood this until I moved to the south. My hubby is a southern gentleman and on top of that has a degree in History...so I have learned much more about the war and the cause of war since knowing him...I really think that everyone should read history books written both in the North and in the South...seeing both sides allows the true reasons for the war to be seen...and I say let that flag wave and those whom don't like it well find another cause that truly matters. Flying a flag will kill no one and living in the past sure helps no one.

treasurymae
02-12-2004, 06:00 AM
I See nothing wrong with the flag. As others have said it is apart of our history. I mean how can we really blame a flag for things that Some people use or have used it for. I know plenty of people who are not Racist and fly the flag, my brother even has one on his truck and he is not a racist.

AS for the tshirt question i have wondered that myself.

There are so many people in this world who are good and some that are bad. I just dont think one culture should be (i guess the right word is punished) for a couple of bad apples. Its not like we dont know they are wrong, but this is America and we do have free speech. So shouldnt we also be able to wear what we want without being punished. There are alot of things in this world i find offensive and others dont, Does that mean i should pick one and start trying to get it banned and work my way down the list. If i succeeded what kind of world would this be? Sure i would do my freedom thing. But what about the people whos rights i've just taken away? Is that really fair to them? this is just my opinion,

babymaniac
02-12-2004, 06:08 AM
I feel I will most likely be flamed for this :( but still, here is my opinion . I do not think that the Rebel Flag should be banned because of bad feelings it causes about slavery etc..If that is allowed , then I would think that the African Flag (and some people do display these)would be just as offensive since certain tribes in Africa attacked and captured other tribes and sold them into slavery.Also , couldn't the Native Americans just as easily say that the American flag insults them and reminds them of how badly they were treated ?This is not an opinion formed from racism or anything like that. I just feel that it is not fair to do away with the Rebel Flag.

JWWB2000
02-12-2004, 06:37 AM
What is wrond with this picture? Hey, I say if we cannot display our heritage on tshirts with the confederate flag well the african flag, the rainbows (for gays), and any other country flag should be the same way. There are just as much racism from all walks of people. This will be a never ending battle. I will probably get flamed for this but where is Caucausan (sp) month? We have African American month, Gay Pride celebrations, ect. I guess if there were to be a month about caucausans (sp), that would be racist huh.

I think there is SO much more people need to think about than banning something that has been in place for longer than they have been alive and focus on what could be done with things such as homeless people, children in foster homes, domestic violence, ect.

fruitloop31576
02-12-2004, 07:05 AM
I am from the south.I say leave the flag alone and work on other things...It's that simple...

cinnamonch
02-12-2004, 08:14 AM
As a southern minority, I say Ravenlost's post shows the most important thing about the flag - lack of education on both sides. Blacks and their supportors have no clue as to how the flag came to be and the hate groups such as the KKK, dont understand either.

Does it bother me to see the flag? Not in the least because I only recognize one flag and thats the American Flag.

Heck, I've seen rebel stickers on the back of pickups (yes the ones with the shot guns in the back) and think no more of them than trucks that have the little boy p**ing on the flower.

What people have to understand, taking the flag down doesnt erase what happened in the south nor will it change the mentality of those people try to use it as a symbol of segregation and injustice.

To JWWB2000, the reason for Black History month was started was to showcase those Americans of "African" decent who made contributions to the building and establishment of this country. There is a big assumption that most things invented, created, developed (the design of Washington DC, the cotton gin, stop lights, brooms, etc) were done by Whites and its to let people know that its not the case.

Unfortunately, many people try to use it as a way to put down other races because of the "injustices" their ancestors suffered and only highlight people like Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X.

teddy2948
02-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by cinnamonch

...Does it bother me to see the flag? Not in the least because I only recognize one flag and thats the American Flag...

I totally agree with this statement! Having said that, I don't feel like they need to ban the flag but I don't believe that it should be hung on government buildings with the American Flag. The American Flag (and on state buildings the state flag) is the ONLY flag that should be flown there.

Seems like people are so hung up on being politically correct all the time. Not sure what to call anybody anymore!

cinnamonch
02-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Teddy,

You confused about what to call anyone? Imagine this I dont know what to call myself. Last time I checked I could be Black, African Anmerican, Negro, Colored.

So I decided to just call myself Human and American :D

Suz*e*
02-12-2004, 09:01 AM
No you shouldn't ban the Rebel Flag!

This country has turned into just a touchy bunch ...everyone is offeneded by everything, and has forgotten that this countries strengths are in our celebration & acceptance of all our differences.

Time for people to get off their soapbox, and IF you don't like it, don't wear it! IF you DO like it TATTOO IN ON!! That'll show um!

teddy2948
02-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by cinnamonch
Teddy,

You confused about what to call anyone? Imagine this I dont know what to call myself. Last time I checked I could be Black, African Anmerican, Negro, Colored.

So I decided to just call myself Human and American :D

ITA.

gemini26
02-12-2004, 10:40 AM
No they shouldn't ban the flag, nor should they change the pledge or the dollar bill. Everything there is will offend someone. There is no way to not offend some group.

Hillbilly
02-12-2004, 10:40 AM
My husband sometimes wears doo rags when he is working(he's a concrete finisher)and one day he had on his confederate flag doo rag and a black man pulled up in a car and got out and walked up to the work crew and went straight to my hubby and said "get that fuc%ing piece of chit off your head!".That did not settle well with my hubby and they had words and the man left,one of the guys on his work crew is black and he told the guy to leave before they called the law to him.My hubby is not a racist,that is not why he was wearing that doo rag,my hubby is very kind to others and he is just a good old country boy,as some would say,and we have black friends.I think we have every right to display that flag,be it the flag itself,t shirt,doo rag,whatever.Heck,in my senior class picture,we are all standing up on this old firetruck and holding up this huge confederate flag.To us,it didn't have anything to do with racism.

Taegus
02-12-2004, 10:46 AM
I think that it should not be banned. It would be banning history. You don't have to like it or agree with it, much like the swastika...I don't like what it stood for with Hitler, but I don't think that it should be banned.

JMHO

JWWB2000
02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
cinnamonch-----Thank you for refreshing my memory on the black history month.

happyjolucky
02-15-2004, 11:08 AM
I totally agree with this statement! Having said that, I don't feel like they need to ban the flag but I don't believe that it should be hung on government buildings with the American Flag. The American Flag (and on state buildings the state flag) is the ONLY flag that should be flown there.

Im not sure if I done the past and copy correct above, but.........

In reference to the above paragraph,

Many states have used the confederate flag as a part of their state flag for years. The design was their own, and that is a reason that I think they should be allowed to fly them on their state buildings. Not all states, but a large amount have done this. It is their state flag, their own design, with the confederate markings.

I hope I have done the paste thing right?
pnut

jen-ron
02-15-2004, 11:31 AM
I live in Alabama now, but was born in North Corlina BUT grew up in Germany and KS. lol Now, my dad is a history buff(mostly Civil War and WW2), which has rubbed off on my sister and me. There are so many factors that lead to the Civil War, yes, even slavery BUT it was NOT the "main" reason. As it was stated above, the Condfederate flag isnt considered racist by most of the population, but there are those on both sides of the "color" line who view it that way. There is no way any goverment anywhere in the world is able to make 100% of its ppl happy 100% of the time. To ban the Confederate flag would be like trying to ban peoples heritage, on both sides. Whethere they like the flag or not, the Civil War DID happen, theres no changing or hidding that fact. I saw on a SUV the other day stickers in the back window that had the Condfederate flag, a gun and I think a helmet and it said "Its Heritage, Not Hate" I think that sums it up pretty well and I dont think that the goverment has the right to ban anything because this is a democracy not a dictatorship.

momfromTN
02-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by babymaniac
I feel I will most likely be flamed for this :( but still, here is my opinion . I do not think that the Rebel Flag should be banned because of bad feelings it causes about slavery etc..If that is allowed , then I would think that the African Flag (and some people do display these)would be just as offensive since certain tribes in Africa attacked and captured other tribes and sold them into slavery.Also , couldn't the Native Americans just as easily say that the American flag insults them and reminds them of how badly they were treated ?This is not an opinion formed from racism or anything like that. I just feel that it is not fair to do away with the Rebel Flag.

THANK YOU! Yes! That is part of the slavery issue that people want to keep hidden. Black people owned slaves too. Their own people! I am not a supporter of any type of slavery, of course, but I get so tired of hearing smack about it. Well, Jefferson Davis is in my family tree way back, and I am proud of that.

momfromTN
02-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry Double post'

kvmj
02-15-2004, 02:35 PM
The biggest issue which caused the south to secede was the right to own slaves. Since the flag symbolizes the Confederacy, it bothers some people. It bothers a lot of blacks and it bothers me.

I would never consider displaying it in any way shape or form. I would not want my child to attend school where it is displayed on a tshirt or bumper sticker. It is not allowed at the schools around here.

The Civil War is indeed part of our heritage. The flag should only be displayed in a museum setting.

By the way, I live right outside Charleston, SC and few around here agree with me.

momfromTN
02-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by kvmj
The biggest issue which caused the south to secede was the right to own slaves. Since the flag symbolizes the Confederacy, it bothers some people. It bothers a lot of blacks and it bothers me.

I would never consider displaying it in any way shape or form. I would not want my child to attend school where it is displayed on a tshirt or bumper sticker. It is not allowed at the schools around here.

The Civil War is indeed part of our heritage. The flag should only be displayed in a museum setting.

By the way, I live right outside Charleston, SC and few around here agree with me.

There are a lot of rebel flags where you are. Guess you are going to homeschool? LOL.

Seriously, you are entitled to your opinion too.:D

fatesfaery
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I don't know about the Lowcountry in SC, but anything with a rebel flag has been banned in schools for years in Upstate SC. My high school's rival were the Wade Hampton Generals, as far as I know no one has ever wanted to change the name of the school,and I'd be against it if someone wanted to change it.

SC took the flag off the capitol building, but put it on display at the confederate memorial, which I think is an appropriate setting for it to be displayed. The legislators who voted to fly it at the capitol building in the 1960s said that it was never meant to be displayed at the capitol permanently, it was intended as part of a civil war centennial celebration/observation.

kvmj, I know what you mean about few agreeing with you......my own family looks at me like I'm crazy most of the time.I don't care if someone wants to fly a rebel flag in their yard, wear it on a shirt, or put a bumper sticker on their car. If that is what you want to do, it's your right....just like it is my right not to.

kvmj
02-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by momfromTN
There are a lot of rebel flags where you are. Guess you are going to homeschool? LOL.

Seriously, you are entitled to your opinion too.:D

My son is a sophomore in college. But displays of the Confederate flag were not allowed when he attended school.

When I see a Confederate flag bumper sticker, I immediately think that person is a redneck.

kvmj
02-15-2004, 04:58 PM
One other thing. The history books that he had unanimously list slavery as the primary reason for the Civil War. My husband and I were taught differently.

cadwellm
02-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Why can't people just get along. Something is only offensive if you let it be.

The rebel flag is part of history. Leave it alone. What's the next story going to be about...someone finds the Constitution of the United States offensive and wants that changed too?

heartlvrs
02-15-2004, 06:51 PM
ITS HISTORY..NOT RACIST!!!!!! NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE BUT WHY ARE WHITES SO CRITIZED?????? BLACKS USED SLAVERY FIRST AGAINST THEIR OWN PEOPLE. THEY HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CELEBRATE FOR EXAMPLE MARTIN LUTHER KING AND RIGHTLY SO, BUT PLEASE....LETS BE REAL...LET US CELEBRATE AND REMEMBER ALL OUR HISTORY. ITS WHAT MAKES US AMERICANS AND PLEASE ANYONE DO NOT BASH ME I AM NOT PREJUDICE OR ANYTHING AGAINST ANYONE. I LOVE ALL AS A CHRISTIAN BUT WE ALL NEED TO REMEMBER OUR ROOTS AND OUR HISTORIES:) HUGS AND GOD BLESS

suziebee20
02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
I understand it's a part of history, and don't think it should be banned from society, but each school should have the choice to ban clothing and items that could be considered controversial or a distraction. A lot of teens don't understand that it's a part of history and interperate as racism. So it goes both ways, allowing it could not only offend students, but if your son or daughter wore it to school and it was missinterperated, they could get beat up. They arn't allowed at our school, then again, we are in California and I don't see many flags like that here. Also, we can't wear red shoelaces because I guess local gangs used to wear them? :confused:

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-15-2004, 09:31 PM
The rebel flag is part of history. Leave it alone. What's the next story going to be about...someone finds the Constitution of the United States offensive and wants that changed too?

I hate to disappoint you cadwellm, but the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals already tried to do away with the 2nd Amendment by claiming it's NOT an individual right the only people that are allowed to own guns are militias like the National Guard.

Jolie Rouge
02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Exposed! Lincoln Never Said THIS

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln did NOT say this. That's the word from the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, which is on a quest to expose the truth about our 16th president in the name of intellectual and scholarly honesty. Lincoln may have said a lot in his time--things we still hear today on everything from lighthearted TV commercial jingles to serious speeches by public officials--but he didn't say all the things that are credited to him, reports The Associated Press. "It's simply Lincoln's own status as a cultural exemplar that make these spurious quotations seem credible," Rodney Davis, co-director of the Lincoln Studies Center at Knox College in Galesburg, explained to AP. "He seems to provide validation for just about anything anybody wants to have validated, and if you can't find a Lincoln quote, you make one up."

So where did these quotes come from if not from President Lincoln?

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

This was thought to be part of a speech Lincoln gave in September 1858 in Clinton, Illinois, but the line is not included in the text that was printed in the local newspaper. It was attributed to Lincoln in 1910 when two people remembered hearing him say it in 1856--54 years later.

"The strength of the nation lies in the homes of its people."

This is widely quoted on the Web sites of homebuilders and real estate agents, but Lincoln never uttered it. However, in August 1928, President Herbert Hoover said something close: "The foundation of American life rests upon the home and the family."

"To sin by silence, when they should protest, makes cowards of men."

This was credited to Lincoln by Douglas MacArthur in a 1950 speech after his release as commander of the United Nations forces in Korea. It is actually a line from a poem by Ella Wheeler Wilcox.

"There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There's nothing good in war except its ending."

This was said by an actor playing Abraham Lincoln in an episode of "Star Trek." Lincoln himself never said this.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.''

These are three of the famous "Ten Cannots" with which Lincoln has been incorrectly credited even as recently as 1992 when President Ronald Reagan quoted these lines in a speech before the Republican National Convention. Who did write the "Ten Cannots"? The Rev. William J.H. Boetcker, a Presbyterian clergyman, wrote those words in 1916.

momfromTN
02-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Jolie, I am speechless. Good job. You exposed parts of history not "poitically correct" enough for the history books of late.

kvmj
02-16-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by heartlvrs
ITS HISTORY..NOT RACIST!!!!!! NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE BUT WHY ARE WHITES SO CRITIZED?????? BLACKS USED SLAVERY FIRST AGAINST THEIR OWN PEOPLE. THEY HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CELEBRATE FOR EXAMPLE MARTIN LUTHER KING AND RIGHTLY SO, BUT PLEASE....LETS BE REAL...LET US CELEBRATE AND REMEMBER ALL OUR HISTORY. ITS WHAT MAKES US AMERICANS AND PLEASE ANYONE DO NOT BASH ME I AM NOT PREJUDICE OR ANYTHING AGAINST ANYONE. I LOVE ALL AS A CHRISTIAN BUT WE ALL NEED TO REMEMBER OUR ROOTS AND OUR HISTORIES:) HUGS AND GOD BLESS

It's a part of our history that we should be ashamed of. It is slavery that caused this war. Why would you want to display a symbol that offends so many? Leave it in a museum.

justme23
02-16-2004, 07:10 AM
It's a part of our history that we should be ashamed of. It is slavery that caused this war. Why would you want to display a symbol that offends so many? Leave it in a museum.

Except slavery didn't cause the war... refer to ravenlosts posts in this very thread.

kvmj
02-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Slavery is now listed as the primary cause of this war in all the history books that my son had. It is also the primary cause in God and Generals and everything else that I have seen and read.

justme23
02-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Slavery is now listed as the primary cause of this war in all the history books that my son had. It is also the primary cause in God and Generals and everything else that I have seen and read.

School mandated history books and Hollywood are definitely good ways to learn history... Please pardon my sarcasm... you are indeed entitled to your opinion... but I could never put trust in either.

kvmj
02-16-2004, 08:04 AM
I would hardly refer to Hollywood. My dear, Gods and Generals is a book.

justme23
02-16-2004, 09:04 AM
I would hardly refer to Hollywood. My dear, Gods and Generals is a book.

You are right, and I was thinking of that movie that just came out recently... but 'My dear'... That war was not centered around slavery, nor was it started because of slavery. Are you really that unwilling to read the information that has been freely provided to you in this thread?