PDA

View Full Version : learning to drive....

GaPeachy
02-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I really dont post much but im kinda hoping someone would help me out with some good advice..In a few months my husband is leaving for overseas.Since i was 16 ive been so nervous about driving.I took my learners test 3 times each time i let it expire.Now i NEED to get my liscene.I got my permit on saturday and sunday i drove my husbands car into a ditch and flattened his tire.Im 21 and i really need to do this!!!My husband will be gone for awhile leaving me to take care of my 4 yr old.
My husband has been really helpful hes let me drive to and from work even if i say NO i dont wanna drive,he says DO IT!I gEt so stiff when i get behind the wheel.I really need to do this!!Anybody got any advice on how to get over this?

lorigirl
02-10-2004, 03:24 PM
I know exactly what you're going through. I didn't get mine until about 2 years ago... I'm now 26. You're stressing yourself too much, I did the same. Take it easy and practice as much as possible then you'll get really good. That's what I did and was so scared I wouldn't pass my test but did fine. Now I drive everywhere like I've been driving since I was old enough lol. Don't let it worry you, you'll do fine. You'll feel much better being able to go whenever you need to without having to wait for someone to take you. :D

suziebee20
02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
I'll probably be in your boat one day. At 16, 2 years ago, I was soooo excited. Got my permit and it expired. I have never, ever been behind the wheel, in fact, sadly, I don't know which pedel is the gas! No advice here, just good luck wishes. I'm sure you can do it! :D

Mini
02-10-2004, 03:30 PM
LOL Suzie sounds like me:D I got my permit last May and haven't drove yet but I'm going to pretty soon and i'm neither excited or nervous(can't be either cause somethin will happen!);)

elsaleh01
02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
i was in your boat ga.... I got my license at 18... Never had a permit or anything... failed my first test lmao... got in trouble for it though because i thought it was funny while my grandma thought i should be ashamed and cry about it lol. why learn to drive i had a chaufer. I still think its hilarious... she still doesnt of course. Ive had my license since 01, and i still hate to drive. Only got it because hubby is in military and he had to go away for a couple months and ic ouldnt be stranded by myself.... Only advice to you is to turn when they say turn... dont keep going straight like i did... lol.... Go in there with a cleared mind and dont let anything be bugging ya. I went in there with a lot on my mind the first time and wasnt thinking and wasnt paying attention so i failed...

becca_joy
02-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I got mine when i was 18

lassss
02-10-2004, 05:24 PM
wow I can't imagine NOT having my license..I could never be dependent upon another to take me everywhere....go for your license and enjoy the privledge of driving. I think having a baby is more scary then driving and you passed that :) good luck and relax

silvermist
02-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Just know well pretend that YOU are the car. You make things happen and you CONTROL it. Nothing bad will happen if you are careful. I'm sure you'll love it once you know how to drive and be like why was I ever afraid of driving :)

RobMom
02-10-2004, 05:38 PM
I know how you feel exactly. I started taking lessons last May. I'm 35. I have been a chicken for all of these years. I don't have my license yet, because I failed the road test, but I am going to do it again. This time I will get it!!

MamaFairal
02-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by lassss
wow I can't imagine NOT having my license..I could never be dependent upon another to take me everywhere....go for your license

ITA...i cant imagine not driving but then i have been the one scared to death when it came time to teach my girls to drive.....they still make me nervous when i ride with them.....lol
Good luck :)

YankeeMary
02-10-2004, 06:02 PM
I wish you all luck and here is a little fact...when sitting behind the wheel ready to drive...the gas pedal is always the one on the right (normally it will be a standing up rectangle) and the brake is always on the left (laying down rectangle) unless it is a stick shift which makes the brake in the middle and the clutch on the left. The clutch is normally way smaller then the other pedals. I am not being a smart butt here I truly am just trying to help. Godd luck to you all.

nanajoanie
02-10-2004, 06:36 PM
I've been driving since I was 12. Dad let us start driving on country roads when we were tall enough to see over the steering wheel. I taught both my boys to drive. When the youngest one got his license on his 16th birthday, it started to snow. I made him drive home about 10 miles and he is the best driver ever. Maybe if you can afford it, you might check into driving schools. Maybe you could make payments. Maybe you have a friend or relative that can take you to unbusy places to drive. I even did this to our grandaughter on the back 40 of our property. Just learned to use the clutch, back up, brake, and not stall, make smooth starts when she was 13-14. Now she too is an excellent driver. Good luck dear:) You are woman! Go for it! Do it as a surprise for you and hubby!