PDA

View Full Version : I wanna go!!!!

intimidator329
02-09-2004, 03:53 PM
I just got this email. I'm sure others who enter the photo contest at photo.com will get this too but I want to go.
This sounds so cool but it's in D.C and I can't afford to go.
I was a semi-finalist with this photo
http://www.picture.com/pics/015/118087.jpg\
and these have also been featured
http://www.picture.com/pics/093/693811.jpg\
http://www.picture.com/pics/032/243763.jpg\
(I don't know why the pics are so dark on here..they look awful!)
Dear Jeannie,

I would like to inform you of your nomination as Photographer of the Year for 2004, and to personally invite you to compete at the single largest gathering of photographers in history, where you will be formally inducted as an Honorary Member of our Society for 2004.

Your induction will take place Friday evening, April 2nd in the United States Capital, Washington, D.C., during the 2004 International Society of Photographers 2004 Convention and Symposium.

You will also be honored with two separate and very special awards for your artistry at special ceremonies throughout the weekend.

First, to honor and commemorate your photographic accomplishments, after you display your photograph on a giant screen and speak about the story behind your photograph, amidst the applause from the audience, you will be presented with your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Silver Award Bowl. The Award is a magnificent work of art in itself ($200.00 value), uniquely engraved and mounted on a cherry-wood base (see it here). This incomparable award is so large and heavy, you may need an extra suitcase just to carry it home!

And Jeannie . . . there's much more . . .

In recognition of your participation at this prestigious International Symposium, we will also create and present to you a beautiful and colorful Commemorative Award Medallion to honor your artistic dedication and achievements.

45 PHOTOGRAPHERS WILL SHARE OVER $25,000.00 TOTAL IN PRIZES--INCLUDING
THE LARGEST AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHY PRIZES EVER AWARDED--2 GRAND PRIZES OF $5,000.00 EACH!

First, you will vie for Amateur Photographer of the Year in the North American Amateur Photography Competition to be held exclusively for Convention attendees, where you could win a Grand Prize of $5,000.00 or one of 29 other cash and gift prizes. Your selection as a competitor entitles you to receive a Free 3.1 Megapixel Digital Camera with LCD (a $300.00 value), which you will use throughout the weekend to create your entry into the competition, and which you may take home as our gift to you at the conclusion of the convention.

Everyone has the same chance to win the $5,000.00 Grand Prize (or one of 29 other cash and gift prizes) because the competition comprises only those photographs taken in Washington, D.C. (a wondrous and beautiful city in which to execute your imaginative photographic artistry) during the convention weekend and taken with your new 3.1 Megapixel Digital Camera.

You will also participate in the International Open Photography Contest, which is also exclusively for those photographers who will be attending the convention. In this contest you will be entitled to submit any one of your favorite existing photographs that you will bring with you to the convention (please bring copies because these cannot be returned). Your best photo could win the $5,000.00 Grand Prize or one of 14 other cash and gift prizes that will be awarded in this second contest.

In all, $25,000.00 in cash and prizes will be awarded at this single event!

LIGHTS . . . CAMERA . . . ACTION!

And that's still just the beginning . . . we've got three very special days planned for you . . . ones you'll never forget!

**You will be officially inducted as an honorary member of the International Society of Photographers for 2004.

**You will receive your custom engraved Outstanding Achievement in Amateur Photography Silver Award Bowl mounted on a beautiful cherry-wood base (a $200.00 value).

**In recognition of the publication of your photography by The International Library of Photography and Picture.com, we will also create and present to you a beautiful and colorful Commemorative Award Medallion to honor this photographic achievement.

**You and your photography will be honored at a Gala Banquet Awards Ceremony, and you will attend two separate entertainment extravaganzas.

**You will participate in a fantastic convention competition featuring 30 prizes totaling $15,000.00 -- including a $5,000.00 Grand Prize and Amateur Photographer of the Year honors. Everyone will have an equal chance to win these prizes because photographs eligible for the competition must be taken during the event weekend itself.

**You will also participate in the International Open Photography Competition, where you will have an additional chance to win prizes. Your favorite existing photograph can win the Grand Prize of $5,000.00 or one of 14 other prizes to be awarded in this second contest.

**You will enjoy dazzling entertainment shows created especially for you featuring The Marvelettes, the Legendary Motown singing group and members of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, plus special surprise guest entertainers each night. These performances will thrill and delight you. There will also be lots of other entertainment including two Midnight Dance Parties.

**You will learn more about your craft in hands-on seminars and workshops led by some of the most talented photography faculty ever assembled. You will have the opportunity to work directly with these professionals, along with professional models, props, and lighting to create your own dramatic photographs.

**You will have the rare opportunity to get up close and personal with Award-winning National Geographic photographer David Doubilet, world renowned photographer Gordon Munro, who has conducted some of the most important fashion shoots all over Europe and Hollywood, and Stuart Haman, whose sports and action photographs are widely recognized among the best in the world.

**You'll learn directly from famous celebrity photographer, Bob Gruen, whose seminal photographs of John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, and Madonna have achieved iconic stature.

**You will have the opportunity to see the latest advances in the photographic arts, and talk with the many exhibitors who will be displaying their equipment, accessories, and services in the Exhibit Hall.

**You and your guests will be eligible to win door prizes valued at over $6,000.00.

**You will make friendships that will last a lifetime and will return home with wonderful memories, your Outstanding Achievement in Amateur Photography Silver Award Bowl, your 3.1 Megapixel Digital Camera (a $300.00 value in itself), your Commemorative Award Medallion, hundreds of your own professional-looking photographs in all areas of photographic artistry, and lots of other surprises.

DON'T BE LEFT OUT

Don't miss this opportunity. Space is limited. Plan to join your fellow photographers in the United States Capital, Washington, D.C., April 2-4, 2004 for the photographic event of the year! I am also looking forward to meeting you and celebrating the power and beauty of photographers and photography!

Sincerely,
Craig Foster
International Society of Photographers
Convention Chairperson

FatWallit
02-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Did they also offer to have your photo printed in a book of photos?

If so, then unfortunately then this is a scam

Ever heard of poetry.com? They run an identical scam

More information at http://poetrynotcom.tripod.com/

FatWallit
02-09-2004, 04:13 PM
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001QdQ

intimidator329
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by FatWallit
Did they also offer to have your photo printed in a book of photos?

If so, then unfortunately then this is a scam

Ever heard of poetry.com? They run an identical scam

More information at http://poetrynotcom.tripod.com/

I figured it was a scam.
Yeah, they offer the books. I bought one cuz I thought that was the only way I ever see my pic in print. I did receive a plaque with the sunset pic on it and stating I was a semi-finalist. I didn't ask for it. they just sent it.
Oh well. Just my luck.

Ladytiger
02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Great pics!
This is the same scam that poetry.com plays too. Just know in your heart that they are great!
Maybe submit them somewhere-they would be great as notecards, good luck to you!

intimidator329
02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ladytiger
Great pics!
This is the same scam that poetry.com plays too. Just know in your heart that they are great!
Maybe submit them somewhere-they would be great as notecards, good luck to you!

thanks, I get request all the time for copies of my pics.
I worked at walgreens in the photo dept(before my accident) and gave a copy of my sunset pic to a customer. I later found it in my dr's office. :mad:I had them remove it since it wasn't the lady's picture. The nurse claimed the lady said it was her original. I brought in my negs other pics just like it taken with different F/stops and they finally took it down.

I would love to sell my pics but I don't know where to get started.
Notecards are a good idea. I can use my photo greeting card paper or postcard paper.
Thanks ladytiger!

Kelsey1224
02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
your photos are wonderful...

intimidator329
02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
thanks for the great comments. I've been doubting myself lately and thinking maybe my pictures aren't good enough. Taking pictures helps takes my mind off of my pain. I wanted to be a professional until the accident took my dream away.

Here's another one that was suppose to be with the others.
(I don't know why I can't get it to post right :rolleyes:??

oh, I give up

http://www.picture.com/include/picture/GetImgFromDB.asp?ID=5957193\

ajksmom
02-09-2004, 06:23 PM
You should feel good about your pictures they are beautiful!!!