PDA

View Full Version : Pit bull attacks!

cleaningla
02-08-2004, 05:00 PM
I was reding a few days ago about 3 pit bulls attacking 2 nieghboring families, at a local news site they describe it as something from a horror movie. An adult female died as a result of that attack.

http://www.9news.com/storyfull.aspx?storyid=24039

Now today there is another article about a woman that was attacked by two pit bulls. They tried to attack the police officers and they shot them.It makes you almost afraid to leave your home.

http://www.9news.com/storyfull.aspx?storyid=24039

AngelGrim
02-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I feel bad for the pets also, I think a lot of times because of a rumor about a pets breed that they are trained in the wrong way or treated in the wrong way, maybe that was the case here, but either way it is a tragedy for both the people and the animal.:(

YankeeMary
02-08-2004, 06:19 PM
OMG how horrible and to think this was all going onand they were short staffed...what a shame and Angel I agree with you, it could have easily been another breed just that so many people exploit this breed...such a shame.

HumblePie98
02-08-2004, 06:34 PM
You better not come to my house, or Sharinbo's!! We both have pitbulls. Mine is wonderful!! Never bit or even showed his teeth at anyone....

Pitbulls can be wonderful pets if taken care of properly.... It's called breed education

reneep45
02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by RescueAPit
You better not come to my house, or Sharinbo's!! We both have pitbulls. Mine is wonderful!! Never bit or even showed his teeth at anyone....

Pitbulls can be wonderful pets if taken care of properly.... It's called breed education

I have American Bulls , they are often mistaken for pits , people say WOW thats a giant pitbull ,125 lbs , lol !! They ARE NOT DANGEROUSE !They are my babys & they love kids !

This is an awfull thing that happened & the owners need to be jailed & unfortunatly these dogs will be killed because of stupid owners ! I do think THESE dogs should be killed BUT NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE PITS.
I know alot of pits that i'd trust , PIT is a name NOT a condition or auto bad !

AngelGrim
02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
That is like some people are scared of chows, I have one, and even though she is protective she is more of a chicken then anything, she will run from you if she can, unless I have her in the house then she will stay right by me. I never trained her to be that way, she just is. She is my teddy bear and she loves to be hugged, but I think she is more scared then anything and that is why she stays by me, she was abused by a vet, but she is now a liker of our new vet. I will shut up now, just rambling:)

evrita
02-08-2004, 07:21 PM
I agree Her Pit bulls are the cutest things they are so playful and loving and my downstairs neighbor has one and bless its heart she has sezuires and has to have medicine everyday and my daughter has been petting this dog since she was about 5

tiffany21
02-08-2004, 07:27 PM
we have to stop and think it is not the dogs it is the way they are trained. I had a pit bull and she was my baby. she never bit or attacked anyone or another animal. any dog will attack if you train them to attack.

so-bee-it
02-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Cleaningla, Do you live in Denver?

cleaningla
02-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by so-bee-it
Cleaningla, Do you live in Denver?

I live in the metro area, you know the suburbs. Denver is right across the street though. Not to many Denverites on the board.

okie
02-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I had a boyfriend who had 2 pitbulls and while they never attacked anyone they were very protective of his home.

twinkiesmom
02-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by cleaningla
I live in the metro area, you know the suburbs. Denver is right across the street though. Not to many Denverites on the board.

my ex bf lives in your area.

Njean31
02-08-2004, 08:58 PM
i just read the title of this and the op's post, didn't feel like reading past the defending of ferocious (sp) dog's. all i know is if you have a potentially dangerous dog ie(chow, german sheperd, rott), EVEN on your own property, be ready to be held liable for their injuring, maiming, or killing of innocent people. in my OWN tiny community, just a couple of weeks ago a 3 YEAR old child wondered into the yard of a neighbor couple's with a couple of PITT"S that were chained in the yard, AND GUESS what, they killed him. the officer's shot the dog'd. if people are going to have these dog's, don't chain em like that, teach them love:(

okie
02-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I just wanted to add that the ex boyfriend's dogs were the nicest dogs once they got to know you.He was always good to his dogs.I think it's all in how the animals are treated.Any animal who is trained to attack will attack.

ibbygayle
02-08-2004, 09:12 PM
When I was younger there were several Pit Bull attacks in our area. One was a very young child that was out in her own yard playing and a pit bull attacked her. Another one was my Uncle's doberman pincher got attacked by one. My two uncles were beating the thing with sticks, baseball bats, everything and it wouldn't let go. I just don't trust them for my own reasons.

The 911 transcripts are horrible. I can't imagine being that man trapped in there and not being able to find his wife and then finding her in the state she was in. How sad.

VALENA-)45
02-08-2004, 10:31 PM
PIT BULLS HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN A BAD RAP. THEY ARE NICE DOGS, IF THEIR OWNERS WOULD TRAIN THEM RIGHT. YES, THEY ARE PROTECTIVE, AS ALL DOGS ARE,. BUT, THROUGH, HISTORY THESE DOGS HAVE GOTTEN MEANER AND MEANER. I LIVE IN NEW YORK STATE AND THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT BANNING THE PIT BULL. UP HERE IT IS MOSTLY THE DRUG DEALERS THAT HAVE THE PIT BULLS AND THEY TRAIN THEM TO ATTACK PEOPLE AND TO FIGHT OTHER DOGS AND TO BE AGGRESSIVE. I MET A LADY ONCE THAT HAD THREE OF THEM, WE WERE TALKING ON HER STEPS AND THE DOGS CAME DOWN THE STAIRS, SHE TOLD ME DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM THEY ARE LIKE KITTENS, AND THEY WON'T BITE. I SAW HER HUSBAND WALKING THE DOGS, HE LET THEM FIGHT AND BARK AT OTHER DOGS, THEY WERE NASTY MEAN. I TOLD HER I HAVE TO GO SEE YOU LATER. I DID NOT TRUST HER DOGS, BECAUSE OF WHAT I HAD SEEN, WHEN HER HUSBAND HAD THEM. THE PIT BULL IS A TRAINABLE DOG, IF HE IS FEED, WATERED, AND TREATED RIGHT, AND TRAINED RIGHT, HE CAN BE A WONDERFUL PET. SOME ANIMALS ARE BETTER THEN PEOPLE, ONLY DOGS CAN'T SPEAK, FOR THEMSELVES. THIS IS IN DEFENSE OF A SUPPOSE TO BE DUMB ANIMAL. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I DEFEND PEOPLE, TOO. THE PEOPLE THAT GOT HURT SHOULD SUE THE PANTS OFF THE OWNERS. I AM JUST SORRY SOMETHING HAD TO HAPPEN TO THEM, FOR EVERYBODY TO NOTICE THE DOGS. DOGS THAT KILL, SHOULD BE PUT DOWN AND THE OWNER'S SHOULD BE FINED AND SUED.

Njean31
02-08-2004, 10:37 PM
nevermind

becca_joy
02-08-2004, 10:45 PM

Exactly--my mom has 2 pits and they are wonderful dogs
and have not attacked anyone
any breed of dog can attack,it's how you train
them that counts

brumzoo
02-09-2004, 05:49 AM
I have a rescued APBT. I got her when I was working at our local Animal Control. Some "hood rat" chopped off her ears with kitchen scissors and left her to die in an abandoned car in the middle of the summer. She was about four months old then. A local animal rescue group took her to a vet & had her ears treated. She has tiny stubs where her ears were. She is the sweetest thing! She plays with my other dogs & cats. She loves everyone & everything! Do not blame the breed. ANY dog can attack.....

Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl
September 21, 2001

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A small Pomeranian dog killed a 6-week-old baby while the infant's caretaker briefly left the child unattended to warm a bottle of milk, authorities said.

The relative, who was caring for the infant girl, found her head buried in the dog's mouth Saturday night, sheriff's Deputy Cruz Solis said. The girl died of head trauma at an area hospital, he said.

The baby's name was withheld because her parents were out of the country and had not been notified, Solis said.

The relative has not been charged. Animal control officers took the dog.

Pomeranians are a breed of miniature canines that have a foxlike face, pointy ears and long, fluffy hair. The deputy said Pomeranian attacks are rare.

``Obviously it doesn't take much to kill a 6-week old baby but it's not something that happens with that breed,'' Solis said.

Copyright 2000 Associated Press.

AngelGrim
02-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Njean31
i just read the title of this and the op's post, didn't feel like reading past the defending of ferocious (sp) dog's. all i know is if you have a potentially dangerous dog ie(chow, german sheperd, rott), EVEN on your own property, be ready to be held liable for their injuring, maiming, or killing of innocent people. in my OWN tiny community, just a couple of weeks ago a 3 YEAR old child wondered into the yard of a neighbor couple's with a couple of PITT"S that were chained in the yard, AND GUESS what, they killed him. the officer's shot the dog'd. if people are going to have these dog's, don't chain em like that, teach them love:(

Guess maybe that is why I live in the country, I have a chow, german sheperd, and a rott. I also have minis in the house, I have 4 dogs outside, and 3 little ones in the house. I love my dogs but sometimes you have to chain them up if there is a lot of traffic or such, like someone riding horses, I would rather have them chained for a couple of hours then let them go and get ran over or bother someone walking or riding a horse. I pray the people that were hurt in this situation will heal from the tragedy. And may all the dogs that are being abused be taken from the ones abusing them and be put in a loving home. That is the only prayer I can think of for the poor animals right now. I hate to see an animal abused or trained to be mean.

MySonNick1
02-09-2004, 07:22 AM

I have a pit bull mix. :D

MySonNick1
02-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by AngelGrim
That is like some people are scared of chows, I have one, and even though she is protective she is more of a chicken then anything, she will run from you if she can, unless I have her in the house then she will stay right by me. I never trained her to be that way, she just is. She is my teddy bear and she loves to be hugged, but I think she is more scared then anything and that is why she stays by me, she was abused by a vet, but she is now a liker of our new vet. I will shut up now, just rambling:)

The chow that I used to have (I have mentioned her before), was protective, but she was also a chicken. She was scared of thunderstorms.

Dolly<3
02-09-2004, 09:37 AM
How sad. :( My roommate had a pitbull when he was younger and everytime he talks about it, it's evident how wonderful she was. However, I think pit bulls are generally more sensitive to negativity and they remember really well. Where as most other dogs usually get over things that happen to them eventually. Like his dog was attacked by a cat for no reason and since then, she attacked cats - BUT she also took care of kittens that he found... okay she killed their mother, but she had a vendetta with cats after one slashed his face. I think if people are mean to them, or teach them to be mean or allow them to play rough, they can be dangerous.

AngelGrim
02-09-2004, 10:27 AM
MysonNick1
Mine is terrified of thunderstorms and will hide in a corner when there is one. She will try to come through the screen in the summer if I don't let her in lol.

HumblePie98
02-09-2004, 10:57 AM
HEHE....

Mine are scared of the vaccum!!! When that baby turns on they run for the crates...LOL

heartlvrs
02-09-2004, 11:17 AM
As a former cruelty investigator for the Humane Society know this:

1. I am sympathetic to this family and their losses.

2. THE BREED does NOT matter....no one breed is worse. You can treat a pit bull and a chichua(SP?) the same and they will both ACT the same. Its all in how they are treated and/or trained.

3. Sometimes there is a "bad" apple, but the majority of the actions and personalities of animals (not JUST dogs) are all because of the handler of the animal. If they are treated right they will be right, everyone once in awhile something goes wrong with an animal..but remember we the humans are generally at fault:(

I have a huge 100 lb shepherd who thinks she is a cat...and a big ole scarrety cat too!
Hugs!

MySonNick1
02-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by AngelGrim
MysonNick1
Mine is terrified of thunderstorms and will hide in a corner when there is one. She will try to come through the screen in the summer if I don't let her in lol.

I had a waterbed that had a small crawl space behind it, under the headboard, and that is where my chow always used to try to hide when there was a thunderstorm. She couldn't fit in there, but she sure tried.

KATinKY
02-09-2004, 11:55 AM
My brother raised pitt bulls when I was younger, they do get a bad rap, no differnt than any other dog. A few days ago, about 10 minutes from my house in Ashland, KY a lady was in her front yard walking her 7 month old pitt bull, and her neighbor started shooting at it, and laughed when he hit it and took off in his car, the lady took the dog to the vet, and luckly the pitt bull lived, the lady said she didnt know him, or ever talked to him because she only lived there a month. the cops found him and arrested him and are charging him with cruelty to animals, and dont quote me on this, but i think a few more things, not too sure, I tried looking for it online, but couldnt find it, it was posted on www.dailyindependent.com a few days ago, that made me so mad.

found it
http://archive.dailyindependent.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/ash/archive/2004/February/05/LocalNews/20542.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=man+shoots+dog&sectionSearch=&begindate=1%2F1%2F2002&enddate=2%2F9%2F2004&authorSearch=&IncludeStories=1&pubsection=&page=&IncludePages=1&IncludeImages=1&mode=allwords&archive_pubname=None%0A%09%09%09
Man Charged
http://archive.dailyindependent.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/ash/archive/2004/February/06/LocalNews/20563.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=man+shoots+dog&sectionSearch=&begindate=1%2F1%2F2002&enddate=2%2F9%2F2004&authorSearch=&IncludeStories=1&pubsection=&page=&IncludePages=1&IncludeImages=1&mode=allwords&archive_pubname=None%0A%09%09%09

sharinbo
02-09-2004, 03:28 PM
This is a volatile subject. I love my pitbulls with all my heart. They are my furry children. They are rescues and they are very well loved and cared for. I go waaaay out of my way to be sure my dogs are socialized and well-trained. It breaks my heart to see all the horrible things people do to animals. There are some pretty bad humans out there, but nobody suggests we execute the entire race. I just wanted to thank the majority of posters here who spoke with wisdom and intelligence.
Dogs who attack humans UNPROVOKED should be humanely euthanized. Human aggression is NOT a breed trait.

HumblePie98
02-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Human aggression is NOT a breed trait.

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

cleaningla
02-09-2004, 05:45 PM
These dogs aren't like other dogs. I just saw update on the news regaurding the second link I posted. When the woman screamed, 3 boys with hockey sticks tried to help her. They interiewed one of the boys and he said it was like the dogs couldn't even feal it when they hit them with their hockey sticks.

There was another attack, this one was different though. Police responded to a domestic violence call. A man had beaten his girlfriend then ordered his dog to attack her. On the news they said that police first tried usin pepper spray and then a stun gun on the dog, when that didn't work they had to shoot it.

That's what's so scary about these dogs, once they start attacking they don't stop till they're dead.

In the first link I posted that attack lasted for like an hour and that was with a 16 year old boy firing shots at the dogs.

Luckily these dogs are illegal in Denver, all these reports were outside of city limits.

Nanc952
02-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I am glad that there are so many smart poster about Pit bulls on this board.
Yes I have a half breed one and have had a pure bred pit. They are the smartest and sweetest dogs there are. Like others said they get a bad rap. I had a half wit (not a smart person would do this) come in my yard I might add climbed over a locked gate to get there.
First thing he does is pick up a stick and go for a the dog. Dog was asleep in her house of course she goes in that stand (you know the bow legged way a pit gets before they jump) nut says he is defending himself. No the dog was going to defend herself he was ready to attack her. If something happened the law would be on the nut side. She was trained and stayed when I told her. A lot of times the people start it.
For the little 3 year old posted earlier it is sad the child was killed but where was the parents to let that little of kid run loose when they know dogs were chained up. Instead of the owner being held liable I think the parents should be for nelect.

stresseater
02-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Yes I have a half breed one and have had a pure bred pit. They are the smartest and sweetest dogs there are. Like others said they get a bad rap. I had a half wit (not a smart person would do this) come in my yard I might add climbed over a locked gate to get there. First thing he does is pick up a stick and go for a the dog. Dog was asleep in her house of course she goes in that stand (you know the bow legged way a pit gets before they jump) nut says he is defending himself. No the dog was going to defend herself he was ready to attack her. If something happened the law would be on the nut side. She was trained and stayed when I told her. A lot of times the people start it. For the little 3 year old posted earlier it is sad the child was killed but where was the parents to let that little of kid run loose when they know dogs were chained up. Instead of the owner being held liable I think the parents should be for nelect
AMEN ;)
I too had a 3/4 strat. bull terrier 1/4 lab. She was my baby and the smartest dog I've ever had( and I have a boxer now). She followed commands every time and when I said out she dropped whatever she had. No matter what it was or what it had done to her. She would have protected us with her life in an instant I have no doubt. Sadly cancer took her 2 years ago but we still have her son. Although he has some kind of seizure disorder he is everybit as well behaved. It's all in how you treat them. As for the beating them with sticks to get them off, you are right that WILL NOT WORK. This is where that breed education comes in. I would much rather see people who are going to have a large dog of any kind take a few classes about the animal they have chosen to live with rather than condemning them all to lives on chains and in cages(or worse
:( :( ) As for where was mommy and daddy, that's my question in a vast majority of these cases(although not all):mad: :mad: :mad:

Njean31
02-10-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Nanc952

For the little 3 year old posted earlier it is sad the child was killed but where was the parents to let that little of kid run loose when they know dogs were chained up. Instead of the owner being held liable I think the parents should be for nelect.

i think they are going to charge the mother with neglect. they need too. the dog was chained in his own yard, they did have to shoot it because it wouldn't let the officers get near the baby, but the owner's of the dog are not in any trouble, they didn't do anything wrong.