PDA

View Full Version : Been Thinking About: Who Killed Christ?

MySweetLord
02-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Been Thinking About: Who Killed Christ?
(an article by RBC Ministries President Mart De Haan)

Could The Passion of the Christ stir up flames of ethnic hatred?

Some of our Jewish neighbors fear that Mel Gibson's film about the last hours of Christ will set the calendar back. Many remember the long history of anti-Semitism that surfaced in the writings of Church fathers, the Crusades, and the Holocaust.

Now as large numbers of people see Christ suffer in a powerful and graphic reenactment, a question surfaces. Will those angered by Christ's horrific abuse feel contempt for those whose ancestors asked for Jesus' death? Not if they listen carefully and take note of everyone who had a hand in His suffering.

The answer to who killed Christ is found not only in The Passion but also in the Gospel records. Even though a crowd of Jesus' countrymen cried out, "His blood be on us and on our children" (Matthew 27:25), Gibson's treatment shows that no group deserves to be singled out as Christ-killers. The whole picture includes a fallen angel, Jewish leaders, Gentiles, and even Jesus.

The record is compelling. First-century witnesses make it clear that Jesus had a leading role in His own death. Critics, however, have used that fact to accuse Him of insanity. In a 19th-century edition of The Freethinker magazine, G. W. Foote wrote, "Who killed Christ? Why himself. His brain gave way. He was demented. His conduct at Jerusalem was that of a maniac. His very language showed a loss of balance. Whipping the dove-sellers and money-changers, not out of the Temple, but out of its unsanctified precincts, was lunatic violence."

Foote goes on to say, "Quite in keeping with these displays of temper was the conduct of Jesus before Pilate. A modicum of common sense would have saved him. He was not required to tell a lie or renounce a conviction. All that was necessary to his release was to plead not guilty and defend himself against the charge of sedition. His death, therefore, was rather a suicide than a martyrdom . . . . As a man Jesus died because he had not the sense to live" (G.W. Foote, The Freethinker).

Jesus wasn't a victim. G. W. Foote says what biblical writers acknowledge--that the rabbi from Nazareth cooperated with those who hated Him. The record of Matthew indicates that Jesus warned His disciples on several occasions that He was going to suffer and die in Jerusalem (Matthew 16:21; 17:22-23; 20:17-19; 20:28). Even though He took action to avoid being killed before His mission was completed (John 7:1; 10:39; 17:1-4), the day came when Jesus refused to resist His accusers.

Interestingly, the accusation that Jesus wanted to die because He had lost His mind is not new. The apostle John quotes religious leaders as saying among themselves, "He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?" (John 10:19-20). To that question someone answered, "Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?" (10:21). Just as significantly, does the Sermon on the Mount reflect an unstable mind? Not according to the millions who say they have found sobriety and sanity in the mind and heart of Christ.

Jewish leaders conspired to kill Jesus. Members of the Pharisees, Sadducees, and chief priests regarded Jesus as dangerous. Publicly they accused Him of blasphemy (John 5:18; 10:30-33). Privately they resented that He had won the hearts of so many. Even though they disagreed among themselves about many things, they found a common enemy in "the rabbi from nowhere." Together they were convinced that if they didn't silence Jesus He would disturb the fragile relationship with Rome and bring into question their own leadership. So with the help of one of Jesus' disciples, they hired false witnesses, had Jesus arrested, and petitioned civil authorities for His execution.

A Gentile signed the death order. A Roman bureaucrat named Pilate played a supporting role in Jesus' death. While admitting, "I find no fault in this man" (Luke 23:4), Pilate chose to protect himself rather than the innocent teacher who stood before him. Rather than risking his own political future, Pilate gave the official order to have Jesus executed (Matthew 27:24).

Gentile soldiers treated Jesus like a criminal. Roman executioners went beyond the requirements of their profession in torturing Jesus. They mocked Him with words of scorn, bruised Him with their fists, spit in His face, hit Him on the head, thrashed Him with barbed whips, pressed a crown of thorns into His head, and led Him through the streets like a public enemy (Matthew 27:27-31). At a place of execution, they drove nails through His hands and feet, lifted Him to ridicule and stood back to watch Him die.

We too were there. In one inexpressible moment, heaven and earth crashed head-on at the crossroads of time and eternity. In principle, all of us were there.

Dr. Peter Marshall wrote, "When we are honest with ourselves, we know that we were there too and that we helped to put Christ there. Because every attitude present on that hilltop that day is present with us now. Every emotion that tugged at human hearts then, tugs at human hearts still. Every human being was represented at Calvary, every sin was in a nail, or the spear, or the needle-like thorns, and pardon for them all was in the blood that was shed."

Will The Passion of Christ or the Bible itself renew feelings of ethnic contempt? Only if we refuse to see that we were there, and that love held our Savior to that tree, not the nails.

Will the big screen make our Lord's suffering bigger than life? Only if we forget that even the biggest pictures and most graphic portrayals can only begin to tell the story.

One for all. Father in heaven, forgive us for being so casual and mindless about the inexpressible suffering of Your Son for us. Please help us to live the rest of our lives in grateful praise for the One who said, "I am the good shepherd . . . . And I lay down My life for the sheep . . . . No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again" (John 10:14-18).

Since "Who Killed Christ?" is only one of the questions that will be raised by the release of The Passion of the Christ, we have set up a Web site to provide further information not only on the film but also on the history-changing events that inspired it. You may visit this Web site by clicking here. http://www.gospelcom.net/rbc/thepassion/

No subject deserves more attention and careful thinking than the death of Christ. As you are able, please check out this site. If you find it helpful, pass along the address to friends or acquaintances who you know are taking another look at the historic and heroic suffering that has been inspiring songs, changing lives, and giving undying hope ever since.

Feel free to pass along this newsletter to your family and friends.

curlymae29
02-14-2004, 07:57 AM
We too were there. In one inexpressible moment, heaven and earth crashed head-on at the crossroads of time and eternity. In principle, all of us were there.

Will The Passion of Christ or the Bible itself renew feelings of ethnic contempt? Only if we refuse to see that we were there, and that love held our Savior to that tree, not the nails.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good...I enjoyed this especially the above statements!

MySweetLord
02-14-2004, 09:39 PM
sure makes a person think:)

cadwellm
02-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Who killed Christ?

People

turbob
02-15-2004, 07:21 PM
ignorance, bigotry, and hatred killed Christ.

guesswho!
02-15-2004, 09:59 PM
My thinking is that two ppl.made it necessary for Jesus to go to the cross...Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden. After this, Jesus came here with a purpose - to restore His creation to a right relationship w/the Heavenly Father. One purpose, done out of ultimate, extreme & sacrificial love.Jesus fulfilled His purpose.

He could have escaped, could have avoided the cross. But then His creation would have been eternally separated from Him. Jesus knowingly gave up His rights. It was a concious choice of a Father for His children. JMHO.
;)

ShayShay
02-16-2004, 02:15 PM
I think Jesus was sent to die on the cross. It was His destiny to do this for the rest of humanity.

MySweetLord
02-24-2004, 12:10 PM
http://christdot.org/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=1

http://www.christianactivities.com/articles/story.asp?ID=3428

MySweetLord
02-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by MySweetLord
http://christdot.org/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=1

http://www.christianactivities.com/articles/story.asp?ID=3428

Nashville, TN - Mel Gibson: "I think we've gotten too used to seeing pretty crosses on the wall, and we forget what really happened. We know Jesus suffered and died, but we don't really think about what it all means. Hey, I didn't realize it either when I was growing up. The full horror of what Jesus suffered for our redemption didn't really strike me. But when you finally see it and understand what he went through, it makes you feel not only compassion, but also a debt.

You want to repay him for the enormity of his sacrifice. You want to love him in return."

my favorite line even tho I don't want to see the movie

MySweetLord
02-26-2004, 07:32 AM
But those of us who grew up being taunted as "Christ-killers" will see The Passion of the Christ and wonder whether it will inspire a new wave of anti-Semitism--not that those folks need the star of What Women Want to inspire them. Gibson sticks to the texts that drown the Jewish priests in Jesus' blood. The Hebrew priests are stock Hollywood villains, with dark skin and crooked noses. They sneer at Jesus, spit at him, beat the hell out of him and threaten rebellion unless Pontius Pilate (Hristo Shopov) crucifies him. Gibson has managed the unthinkable: He makes Pilate look like the good guy--weak, yes, for caving to the Jews, but ultimately as someone saddened and guilt-ridden by his decision. It's as though Pilate, regarded by history as a sadistic man who killed thousands of Jews on the cross, is the conscience the Jews do not have. He looks like their pawn, a weakling who shouldn't bear the blame of his actions.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/2004-02-26/film.html/1/index.html?src=newsletter

cindylee
03-05-2004, 05:37 AM
Nobody killed Him, He layed down His life freely for us.

donnakc
03-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by cindylee
Nobody killed Him, He layed down His life freely for us. I agree! To keep wondering who killed Jesus and who to blame we need to remember Jesus GAVE His life...nobody took it!!!

deanna0004
03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Watching a TV show recently (may have been "Dateline"), many philosophers believe the Romans were ultimately responsible, but who's to really know the truth. The Bible was written by several people and even in our time stories can be twisted into rumors. Facts can turn into fiction.

curlymae29
03-10-2004, 09:41 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by cindylee
Nobody killed Him, He layed down His life freely for us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said it. He died so that we may live.

janelle
03-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Many other film makers have protrayed Pontious Pilate as a bumbling idiot. Mel Gibson isn't the first. I guess it's when Pilate washed his hands. He may have been ruthless but maybe also a coward who wanted to just be left alone so no rioting would occur. It was Passover and it would have been very hard to control a rioting crowd.