PDA

View Full Version : Health Question

freeby4me
02-04-2004, 06:36 AM
I have a question about weight gain and what exactly i should do. I went to my health department yesterday and got my Depo shot and they checked my weight. It seems as though i have gained quite a bit. I have gone from right about 115 in June to 149 as of yesterday. If the weight is still going up at my next appointment we'll look into it but my question is this,
Should i continue exactly how im eating and exersizing or should i go on a major diet and try to lose as much weight as possible in the next 3 months? I never even thought about asking that yesterday but now i need some opinions on what would be best! I've been on the shot for over 3 years so i dont think that has a big impact on the weight gain. I will be treated if anything is wrong, but i just need some advice on which way would be best! Thank you everyone for your help, I know i can count on all of you :)

evrita
02-04-2004, 06:40 AM
got my Depo shot
been on the shot for over 3 years so i dont think that has a big impact on the weight gain Oh this shot can make women gain weight I work with a woman who dieted all the time and kept gaining weight she was on the sot for a while couldnt shake the weight she gained alot in a short period of time also they took her off it and put her on birth Control. So be aware it can make you gain weight and fast

MySonNick1
02-04-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by evrita
Oh this shot can make women gain weight I work with a woman who dieted all the time and kept gaining weight she was on the sot for a while couldnt shake the weight she gained alot in a short period of time also they took her off it and put her on birth Control. So be aware it can make you gain weight and fast

Yep....This is true about the shot making you gain weight. I was on the shot and gained a lot of weight while on it.

justme23
02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Actually, it's not true at all. A couple of weeks ago John Stosell did a whole hour of common myths on his gimme a break thing on 20/20 and birth control making women gain weight was on the list. They say that it does trick your body in to thinking it's pregnant and sometimes that can cause women to eat more for a couple of weeks until the hormones even out but it takes more than two weeks to make a significant difference in a persons weight. I asked my doc about this because almost every woman I know whose been on birth control has gained a little weight and I thought he was crazy but my doc said he's right. That it's the eating habits women fall in to in the first 2 or 3 weeks of being on it that make the difference cause they are hard to break.

Anyways, I asked my doctor about all the fad diets... atkins and that other one that's really popular right now. Also about weight watchers and jenny craig. According to her fad diets cause the yo yo effect. There are ppl who do it and keep the weight off, but they're the lucky ones and even if every person on this board was that lucky they'd still be few and far between compared to the rest of the country. She also said Jenny Craig was a rediculous plan cause they don't teach you how to eat they just say buy my products, which can also cause the yo yo effect when you come off of it.

She told me that if I NEEDED someone to hold me accountable (weigh me in every week) that Weight Watchers was still hands down the best program because they TEACH you how to eat properly and in what amounts. She also told me that if I would just cut my portions by a quarter or a third at every meal and got in a good bit of exercise 5 times a week that that's all the diet I ... or anyone ... would need unless they had actual medical conditions that kept them from losing (ie: thyroid issues).

Good luck and don't stress out about it.

evrita
02-04-2004, 05:00 PM
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/bc/depoforyou.htm

Shancopp
02-06-2004, 05:00 AM
I gained 60lbs in less than ten months on Depo. I took 2 shots of it and said ENOUGH! I was plump to start with and ended up VERY PLUMP! My dr told me some women are hypersensitve to the side effects and will gain excess wt and have excess bleeding. I had both. Heck I only gained 12 lbs during my pregnancy... I'd rather be preggo! lol! I thought also, when I quit the shot, the wt would come off as easily as it went on, but that is sooo wrong! I carried it around for about 4 yrs, dropping 20 or so w/ WW and then gaining back ten of it. Then dropped 15 with Merida and about 5 more with BodyFlex program. I started Atkins on 1/1 and am down 16 more. I have 25 to go to get to pre Depo wt. Look it up on several sites and read all you can. I would probably not diet, but eat normally and sensibly until the next shot. If you do not eat poorly with no reason to gain, then it has to come from somewhere, huh? Also, ask for a thyroid panel, that could be a possiblity too. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is! Here is a site I've heard of about Depo takers and some of the things it has done to them. Never been there, though. www.soulcysters.com

Dizzyontheweb
02-06-2004, 05:21 AM
My dd was on the shot and I thought I would kill here b4 it wore off. She did gain weight, but what I hated the most was she was a total
B%$*& the whole time she was on it. More so than the regular teen fussy. Made her nervous also it seems. She is now going onto the patch.
Nothing effects everyone the same. My dd also gained weight when she had to take predisone a lot becasue of asthma. I recommend friends who talk about going on the shot, think about it hard!

freeby4me
02-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Thank you everyone for your answers. If the weight gain is from the shot i'll do everything i can to keep on the shot. Im only 19 and with a 3 year old son, DH and I decided that this is the best protection against pregnancy. Im only b*tchy when it comes time for my shot, otherwise im pretty easy going :D I believe i will just continue to eat and exersize as im doing so if its still happening in 3 months we'll be able to do something about it. I knew the weight gain was more than possible when i got on the shot, Its just odd that its starting to come into affect now lol. Thanx again everyone and feel free to keep the advice coming :)

FrenchBred
02-06-2004, 11:27 PM
You might perhaps want to consider getting some exercise. Anyone can gain a great deal of weight while spending the majority of their waking hours online.

YankeeMary
02-07-2004, 12:34 AM
FrenchBred you had posted in another thread about racial comments and such, which offended you. Your point was very well made until you started slamming someone...now here you are in this post making rude and uncalled for remarks about people with weight problems, regardless of the reason. You seem to be very intelligent, don't ruin it by trying to hurt others feelings. It really isn't neccassary. And truly it is no ones business how long anyone stays online. Just be nice your point will get across alot faster.

FrenchBred
02-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Uh huh. This person has PMed me several times with the vilest of sentiments and basically ruined a board that I enjoyed by hanging out there 24/7 just waiting for someone to post so that she could jump on them. THAT is where my comment came from--it was not out of the blue. And yes, I feel that this person would serve herself very well to get offline for a change.

My comments come from personal experience and I stand behind them 100%.

justinenycole26
02-07-2004, 02:24 AM
So why come to this board spewing crap at everyone? If you have a problem from another board, why not LEAVE IT THERE?

freeby4me
02-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Morgan (frenchbred),
You are truly a pathetic person. Must you follow me? Every board i belong to you come and try to run me out of it. Do you really have no life?
I am a stay at home mother who leaves the house once every two weeks and you find it intreaging to follow me and harass me at the only place that i find peace and i can interact with people. Must you try and destroy my only contact to the outside world? Are you really that shallow of a person? All 9 posts here you have shown your true identity, A rude shallow inconsiderent person. Call me whatever and whoever you wish, You have shown your true colors. Now i highly suggest you leave the board sense all we do is make you "unhappy" and allow "racist" people here :rolleyes: I actually do feel sorry for you sense you are all alone and only get pleasure from trying to destroy people. I will be putting you on my ignore list, You will not succeed in destroying what i have here.

freeby4me
02-07-2004, 09:15 AM
A direct quote from my first post in this thread "Should i continue exactly how im eating and exercizing or should i go on a major diet and try to lose as much weight as possible in the next 3 months?

I dont see how you saying "You might perhaps want to consider getting some exercise" makes any sense here. If you actually read over my post you would have thought of something logical to say and not something hateful.

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-07-2004, 01:47 PM
freeby4me...I am so disappointed. I thought that frenchbred was my personal troll! Seriously though, don't let 'em get to you. That just feeds their ego.

freeby4me
02-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Well hopefully this is one troll that'll get blown up before she can cause alot of trouble. She's not going to ruin the family atmosphere that we all try so hard to hold onto here.

JENNIFERCATLADY
02-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Well hopefully this is one troll that'll get blown up before she can cause alot of trouble. She's not going to ruin the family atmosphere that we all try so hard to hold onto here.

I totally agree with you!!! :p