PDA

View Full Version : Tax Question (and a vent)

mizzy62
02-03-2004, 04:21 PM
We got hubby's W-2, and it states he only paid 129 dollars in federal income tax!:eek: I was shocked, because it should not have been that amount. He always claims zero dependents. Of course, when asked, the place he works for made a mistake, whoops!
What I want to know is..can we do anything about this? Shouldn't they be in some sort of trouble for underreporting us?
We needed that big refund more than we ever have in our lives. Now it isn't coming. I am going to see if filing separate would help us any.
It just never ends...:(

teenap
02-03-2004, 04:34 PM
that happened to me a few years ago...ugh...I live in NH but worked in MA...they never took MA taxes out....I ended up paying at the end of the year...I think filing seperate might help, I did that last year cause I didnt want the soon to be ex to get any of my refund money

jeb
02-03-2004, 05:22 PM
You should request a corrected W-2 form.

MsLynn
02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by jeb
You should request a corrected W-2 form.

yes definitely make his employer give you a corrected W-2.. don't file without it.

Quaker_Parrots
02-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Check his last check stub for the year, and see how much he paid in. If he paid in more than $129 make them give him a corrected W2. They have a grace period (I believe) till the 15th of Feb. to get their stuff straight.

karefree
02-04-2004, 12:14 PM
I am not sure I understand the problem. Did they take more money out through the year than the $129 on the W-2? If so, then definitely get a corrected W-2. If they only took our a total of $129 for the entire year I am afraid you are who is responsible. You also need to check now to see if they are taking out the correct amount for next year so this won't happen again on your 2004 return. Sorry this happened to you.

dlwt
02-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Definetly fill out a new w-4 to correct for this year. I work in payroll as part of my job, jut make sure you always check to make sure they are taking out deductions. I had a employee have the same problem last year she put down Excempt and had no deductions.
If they took out more than $129 they HAVE TO give you a new w-2. If $129 is all they took out make sure you fill out a new w-4 for this year

MOM2B2003
02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Yep, so far most everyone is right. I am a certified tax preparer and I am in charge of payroll at work. The company DOES NOT owe you a corrected W2 form IF your hubby's last check states the YTD Fed W/H was only $129. There is nothing to correct on the W2.

BUT if his last check stub says anything different than $129 YTD Fed W/H, then they need to give you a corrected W2.

If they did indeed only withhold $129, then you are the one responsible. You can file for an extension to pay what you owe. You should consult a tax advisor in your area.

I know that, in some cases, the amount you make per paycheck puts you under the threshhold for federal withholding. If he claims zero, this seems unlikely, but it could still be the case. I just dropped down to part-time at work after the birth of my son, and now the amount I make per week puts me under the threshhold, and I only claim 1. You can, however, ask the employer to hold out a flat amount each week. When your hubby fills out a new W4, there is a line on there that asks for additional withholding. That is the spot to fill in. I have an add'l. $5 per week since I am under the threshhold. Otherwise, we would have to pay in.

Sorry about your situation. Money sucks. It is the root of all evil. I went to school for finance/accounting. Does that make me evil??? LOL...I am trying to bring some goodness into that portion of the world!

Good luck!

Dizzyontheweb
02-05-2004, 05:52 AM
I went to school for finance/accounting. Does that make me evil??? LOL...I am trying to bring some goodness into that portion of the world!

I did too, though I never did anything with it. I just finished classes to work with medical insurance....so i guess that makes me double evil!

I had the situation that the place I was working did not take anything out, though I had told them to. I wound up paying in to the irs for the only time ever. (Knock on wood!)