PDA

View Full Version : Udated Letter to Supervisor for my evaluation (Betrayed...work issue)

kidzpca
02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
The following is the most difficult assessment I have ever had to do on myself. Hasn't come easy, or overnight. A few things finally came to light in the last two to four weeks. A shortened version will be included in my official self assessment in mid-February.

Everyone knows the struggles my family and I have gone through the past two years starting in March 2002. It hasn't been easy being a Cancer Family. Only a Cancer Family really knows what it is like. I would never wish what we have experienced on anyone. Not even my worst enemy in the World. ***special note I have been in therapy for dealing with this since July 2003 when I realized I needed to talk things out, to adjust and accept that Cancer was in MY household.*** Not an easy task or to admit.

The last two to three months I have struggled to figure out what it is I want out of my career and work experience. I know...I haven't given 100% to my work in 2003 and for that I am extremely sorry. I am going to change that.

Thanksgiving and Christmas 2003 were wonderful. Don't get me wrong. Tiffany was home, Andrew, my wife and I were able to celebrate without concern--well much. ***As for Christmas 2002 I am so greatful to my co-workers in making a difficult Christmas very special and meaningful. I know it helped in the family healing while Tiffany was still hospitalized.***

I know some people have been concerned for me as I have heard rumors. Just wish people would talk directly to me instead of "behind my back" so to speak. Especially about my work. A co-worker sat me down for just a moment and did one thing---Asked how I was doing. Me, Kevin, not Tiffany, Andrew or my wife, Maureen. But, "How are you, Kevin doing?" And indicated she knows me better than that. What a wake-up call. Yet the "PUSH" I needed.

Now to the nitty gritty: Now that Tiffany's illness is stablized (with still a long road ahead) and that my mother's guardianship (whom I have cared for off and on for 20 years) has been passed on to my brother in December 2003. I have realized through therapy that I was "angry" at what Cancer has done to my family. I can finally HEAL and concentrate more fully on my work and career as I should.

Then came January 23rd 2004 when a 10-year-old boy and his family came into pediatrics with what was thought to be xxxxxxxx. I saw the fear, terror of the unknown, and potential sense of loss that I felt in March 2002. Over the weekend I found I CAN STILL DO GREAT GOOD. This family is not much different than my own. Jen, RN knows and sees my talents to help and WE MADE A GOOD TEAM guiding this newly diagnosed cancer family.

Communication: Can't be stressed enough. I've lacked. But I vow to improve and communicate, communicate, communicate to insure that the RNs I work with understand and know I'm doing my work. I am also going to do what I can to insure that the RNs I work with understand that I too need to be informed of what they need for me to do for them and the patients.

Documentation: I try to chart within an hour of completing a task but if the time or day is a particularly busy one I chart ASAP. I need to make sure that what vitals I have gotten have transferred in the charts accurately. Thus I will improve upon it.

Teamwork: I do what I can. Some of this is the Communication between the RNs and Myself. I do try to be of help as much as possible. Have asked for help from others and offered to help others as time the opportunity arrises. ***I have found though that some RNs feel that some tasks are just the RNs and the PCA tasks are just the PCAs. Yet, I thought that such things as setting up rooms when an admit comes was everyone's job to get it done efficiently. Lately in the past two weeks I found that I was informed of an admit. I'd start setting up the room and five minutes later the patient was here. I know it happens. But last week it happened twice in the same day. And the RN I worked with didn't help one bit. And I know for a fact one of the two times she sat at the lighthouse desk and paid no mind that I was trying to settle the patient/family into the room. *** Just an observance. However, it looks bad to the patient families to see one employee bending over backwards to settle them in and the RN is just sitting around obviously not busy (reading a magazine). As one family indicated to me.

Professionalism: I am going to not bring so much of my personal baggage to work with me. It likely has affected my work/ethic.

Goals: To mend any broken fences that I have among my co-workers. Improve my skills as stated above. Now that I have realized what Cancer has done to my Family and could have done still...If I continued...Enough. Anyhow I want to continue on Pediatrics as I have. My experiences with Cancer, acknowledgement of my epiphany and much more can only hopefully make a better Employee, Colleage, Husband, Father, etc. I would like to return to school for perhaps Medical Social Work or something similar. Will have to look into it. Just difficult after a near nine year absence from school.

By the way...I am an adult too and can take what people have to say to me. I don't like when people talk behind one's backs. It isn't good. I needed a wake up call. Where was Theresa, Jeanette, Barb M, and a few others when I needed the "wake up call"? Kidding. I got the message and all it took was one person asking "How are you doing? I'm concerned and care about you." and meant it for me.

Kidzpca

I'm going to give a copy to the Nurse Educator and one Unit Coordinator on Tuesday. I hope to talk to one or both at the time I had the letter in. The Unit Coordinator can pass it on to the Nurse Manager for my view. A shortened version is being printed for my official evaluation that I will also hand in tomorrow.

Ladytiger
02-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Wow Kev! I am proud of you, that is awesome and took alot of intrespection on your part! Keep in mind that this whole experience has made you all that much stronger! You are to be commended!

tommyjo
02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Yeah, what ladytiger said! I cannot even imagine what you/family are experiencing. HUGS AND BEST WISHES!

reckless
02-04-2004, 12:24 AM
i wouldnt submit a letter to my supervisor, i would ask to speak with him privately and apologize for my inferior work performance of late. not to be critical, but your letter comes off as though you are whining. your supervisor and co-workers are well aware of your situation and i am sure that they sympathize. your boss is not interested in excuses or your life story and long term goals, he just wants you to do your job the best that you can. also, if you do submit the letter, i would leave off the part where you complain about your co-workers, it just sounds like petty sour grapes. you know, she said this about me, but she did this and he did that. i am not trying to make you mad, just giving my opinion. also, i am glad to hear that your daughter is doing so well and i hope she continues to be healthy:)

sugar206
02-04-2004, 01:15 AM
First of all I am not trying to start a fight. The letter does not sound whiney to me. Come on have sympathy cancer isvery serious. I will have you guys in my prayers. Also the letter was very well worded and professional. I wish you the best of luck

EricsnKy
02-04-2004, 06:43 AM
While I DO sympathize with your situation, and apologize for what you've been thru I also would leave the personal ordeals out of your letter. Also I do not believe I would write a letter at all, I would actually sit down and talk with my supervisor/boss. This way there is a direct line of communication with no room for misinterpertation, etc.

I can understand what its like when someone in your family is diagnosed with cancer, because my grandmother died of lung cancer. While this ordeal is so stressful, hurtful, and so many more things I would leave them out of my letter. Or if I mentioned them I would not spend 4 paragraphs on it. Your employer is more than likely aware of your family's health, as I am sure it's been mentioned to them by you, or your coworkers. Your supervisor just expects you to do your job to the best of your ability. and I am not trying to be rude, but he or she does not want excuses. And well, your letter sounds like excuses.

Just please talk to your super face to face, don't use a letter

((((((HUGZ TO YOU)))) For all you've been thru, your in my thoughts.

:)

iluvmybaby
02-04-2004, 09:32 AM
My deepest sympathies to you and your family, I understand where you are coming from, twice my pap has showed up pre cancerous, it is like a ticking time bomb, never knowing, just having to wait and see what happens. What helped me is talking to a trained professional, maybe you should consider that ? Also I wouldnt submit a letter, I would talk dirtectily one on one with my supervisor and be honest, but leave personal details out besides you are going through a really hard time right now. Maybe you should think about another job at another nursing home if you are that upset about your co workers, ask for a transfer to another nursing home the next town over or at the same town just another place?

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EricsnKy
While I DO sympathize with your situation, and apologize for what you've been thru I also would leave the personal ordeals out of your letter. Also I do not believe I would write a letter at all, I would actually sit down and talk with my supervisor/boss. This way there is a direct line of communication with no room for misinterpertation, etc.

I can understand what its like when someone in your family is diagnosed with cancer, because my grandmother died of lung cancer. While this ordeal is so stressful, hurtful, and so many more things I would leave them out of my letter. Or if I mentioned them I would not spend 4 paragraphs on it. Your employer is more than likely aware of your family's health, as I am sure it's been mentioned to them by you, or your coworkers. Your supervisor just expects you to do your job to the best of your ability. and I am not trying to be rude, but he or she does not want excuses. And well, your letter sounds like excuses.

Just please talk to your super face to face, don't use a letter

((((((HUGZ TO YOU)))) For all you've been thru, your in my thoughts.

:)

Like I said, as an RN and supervisor I would have greater respect for my staff if they spoke directly with me,But it's up to you I guess. I still think the letter is emphasizing WAY too much on your personal problems and hardships.I feel for you and your family and it seems you are holding up well,however,personal affairs need to be left at home,it is like trying to use everything as an excuse for what is going on at work(they may feel the same way if they read the letter) so please think twice about sending it.

Best wishes!

mesue
02-06-2004, 01:12 AM
I don't think I would give anyone a letter or speak to anyone else about it unless I was confronted about it, then I would defend myself. I would strive to improve my work performance if you feel you need to. Writing a letter would probably mean its going in your file to follow you around ad makes you look guilty. Its also could be looked at as admitting guilt. From what I've read two RNs have accused you of making up vital signs, but its not true and your nurse manager has not called you on it, which tells me she or he knows you would not do that. My advice would be to chill and ride this out, treat everyone with kindness even the two witches who are throwing around accusations. Whatever you do I wish you luck and just want to add I'm glad your family is doing ok.

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by mesue
I don't think I would give anyone a letter or speak to anyone else about it unless I was confronted about it, then I would defend myself. I would strive to improve my work performance if you feel you need to. Writing a letter would probably mean its going in your file to follow you around ad makes you look guilty. Its also could be looked at as admitting guilt. From what I've read two RNs have accused you of making up vital signs, but its not true and your nurse manager has not called you on it, which tells me she or he knows you would not do that. My advice would be to chill and ride this out, treat everyone with kindness even the two witches who are throwing around accusations. Whatever you do I wish you luck and just want to add I'm glad your family is doing ok.

Good advice here,I was thinking the same thing.Lay low ,improve yourself on your own and like Sue said if it is brought up,defend yourself then....and YES ,THE LETTER WILL BE IN YOUR FILE,so as I said before think twice about giving it to anyone.

Keep us updated.

so-bee-it
02-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Please know, I'm not trying to sound insensitive. My father had cancer. But your personal life and your professional life should be kept separate. Also, never say in a letter what you can say in person....it could come back to haunt you in the future.