PDA

View Full Version : A really bad week

cookiegirl
01-31-2004, 10:10 PM
The week started off with my son's car breaking down. He is only 17, with only a little part time job. I had to get it fixed for him. Three hundred dollars to repair.
Wednesday we get called into the conferance room at work. As soon as I saw the tissues on the table, I knew it was bad. Our Manger passed away that morning. I knew he had cancer, but still I was devasted. I was one of five people who started the Las Vegas office with him. He was a good boss. He always looked out for me. When I handed in my resignation in October, he would not let me go. (I needed to work less hours, he accomadted me) He was a kind man. Always happy. I really miss him. We spend so much time at work, people we work with become like a second family. The last time we saw him was at the Christmas party. I wished him a Merry Christmas. I thought I would see him again. I know this sounds stupid, but I feel so bad, because I did not get to say goodbye. He was a very private man. We did not know how sick he was. I worked with him for 6 years. I cant attend the funeral on Tuesday, my son is having surgery. It hurts not to be able to pay my respect to his family. My other boss told me his family will understand. I know they will. It is hard to explain, maybe it is the loss, the grief, the shock. Not sure exactly.
The next day, my best friend at work called me at work, her dad passed away that morning. He too had cancer. My heart just ached for her.
We are like Zombies at work. We have cried for two straight days. I dont know how we all got thur Friday.

Then this morning my neighbor down staris calls me to tell me to check my water heater water is coming out over my balcony. Sure enough it is leaking. I need a new waer heater. They can't fix it until tomorrow. It will be $500.00.
I would say I can't wait till Monday, but I have my sons surgery. a tonsilectomy and adnoidectomy on Tuesday. And of course they all want the deductible and copays up front. So I will just say I cant wait until the following Monday.
This week was just so sad. losing two wonderful people, it makes me realize that the finacial bind I now find myself in, is not so bad. Somehow I will work it out. That health and Happiness are more important.
Thanks for listening. It was such a hard week. And I am a nervous wreck about the surgery.

Debbie

queenangie
01-31-2004, 10:15 PM
When it rains, it pours!
So sorry to hear about all the bad things
going on right now, Debbie.

Sending hugs and prayers your direction.
Angie

twinkiesmom
01-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Debbie - maybe you can visit the funeral home to pay respects to your manager and his family. That will ease your pain there not being able to attend the funeral. Also, I'd speak to the Dr's ofc and see if you can't set up a payment arrangement to balance off those copays, etc. I'm not sure if you wanted advice, but also too, when it comes time to get the hot water heater, see if the stores around you will do a 90 day same as cash thing and then u'll have 3mos to pay it off.

Hope it all works out for you. {{hugs}}

Whitequeen39
01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
You have had one bad week. Sometimes it seems like the bad stuff is never gonna end. Try not to stress too much about your son's surgery ( I know that is hard, I am a big worry-wart). My son had his tonsils and adenoids out 1 1/2 yrs ago. He did just fine. Make sure he gets lots of slushies and posicles( was told to not use the red ones at first so you can distinguish any blood if he were to throw-up or anything) etc after the surgery...that really helps sooo much, it keeps swelling down etc and is very soothing. The nurse told us to take popsicles and put them in the blender with some 7-up, or water or koolaid and blend, it makes a nice smooth slushie, my son loved them! Let us know how he does.

Will keep you in my prayers

cookiegirl
01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Thank you all so much for your prayers and avice. I truly appreciate it. Thank you for letting me know about the popsicles and slushies. I know he will like that.
I know this sounds stupid but does the water heater affect the heat also. there is no hot aire blowing out of the vents. I am freezig. I have my heat on 75 and I am sitting here freezing. I know that sounds crazy coming from Las Vegas. I know it is much colder everywhere else. I don't know what I would do if I were back in NY right now. 2 degrees is alot worse then 40 degrees.

twinkiesmom
01-31-2004, 11:17 PM
depends on what u have to heat your place. Do u have a furnace that runs on gas? If so, u shouldn't hafta depend on the water heater to heat your place.

DBackFan
02-01-2004, 06:37 AM
I wanted to say first I'm sorry but also for you to check around on that water heater, sounds really high to pay 500.00. NO your water heater should not affect your heat, is it better now?

cookiegirl
02-01-2004, 08:40 AM
we have no heat. my boyfriend and my dad said this should not affect the heat. maybe this didn't, but no heat for sure. i am so cold. have two sweaters on. just waiting for the plumber. whenever the water gets shut off here, i lose my heat. we had to turn the water off because the water heater was leaking. and since i live upstairs i can't take the chance of damaging downstairs. I would have to pay for her repairs too. i am going to go call the heating and aircondtioning company. hoepfully they can come today. I do not think i can sleep another nite without heat.
thank you all so much for your support and advice.
Debbie