PDA

View Full Version : I Feel So Betrayed!!!! Work Issue....

kidzpca
01-31-2004, 02:53 PM
The following is long but need your imput. Thanks.

I'M BEING ACCUSED OF MAKING UP VITALS AND CHARTING THEM. TOLD MY MY CONCERNED CO-WORKER TO WATCH MYSELF....BE MORE THEROUGH AS SOME RN'S ARE "WATCHING ME".

Dear Unit Coordinator:

It has come to my attention from a co-worker that some not so good things are being said, passed on, possibly dishonest or rumored etc., about my work abilities. Thus, some Nurses have likely lost some "trust" in me. For that I am sorry. I never intended such a thing. I thank this fellow employee for the honesty shown and concern for me. I have worked here 8 and a half years and do not/would not try to do anything that would be dishonest.

I usually let things like this go and do as good a job performance as I can. No one is perfect. What concerns me is that not a single person I've worked with, with the knowledge of the RN concerns has talked to me. Confronted me etc. I KNOW THEY MAY NOT WANT TO HURT MY FEELINGS, PRIDE ETC. However, I am an adult here and can take it. And I cannot improve my work performance without knowledge of anyone's concerns. I know it is not everyone I work with and is likely a few nurses from the floor. I'm not ignorant and have suspected that something has been up over the last few weeks to a couple months. I wish the nurses that feel the way they do would have talked to me, worked with me as a teamplayer as we are supposed to do. For those whom are aware, I was completely oblivious to the goings on. I feel somewhat betrayed by some of my co-workers and am hurt no one has confronted me.

Yes I have had a lot of things thrown in my plate the past 2 years. Tiffany getting deathly ill, her cancer, stem cell transplant, my son Andrew being the donor. Tiffany's whole recovery phase. Living and working as what seemed like a single parent from November 2002 til Tiffany was well enough to return home in March 2003. Dealing with things that only a Cancer Family understands. Then Tiffany's Graft Verses Host Disease that followed in June 2003, getting and keeping the disease under control in hopes it will go away. Lucky for us, Tiffany continues to improve everyday. And every day that follows Cancer Free is wonderful. And we have 3 and a half years to go till she is considered completely cancer free.

Other things have come and gone including My Mother-in-Law's death in November 2002 just before Tiffany went in for her stem cell transplant, My Grandmother's death in December 2002 and my Sister Mandy's death a few months later in 2003. I've persevered.

The Holidays of 2002 were particularly difficult not knowing if Tiffany would live or die. She nearly died so many times during her time in treatment I lost count. Yet, I continued the best I could to keep working, the house running, Andrew's life as "normal" as possible.

I thank ALL my fellow workers for their kindness, help in making Christmas 2002 as good and special as possible, and I appreciate thier continued encouragement.

Then in December, 2003 I passed my guardianship of my Mother whom I have taken care of on and off for 20 years, to my Brother. Thus, cutting my busy load of care to just my kids, wife and myself.

I work hard for a living. Have kept my Family intact. Much unlike others with such things thrown at them. Many Families would have split up at this point. Finally, after such a long time things are getting back to "normal" for us all.

I KNOW THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE---BUT TRY TO SEE MY SIDE...

The year 2003 has been particularly hard for me and have been in counceling since July. And before anyone starts to think that this is something it is not. Here goes. Some of the following is also a Self Assessment for the past year. Of which I will pass on in Mid February.

Professionalism: I am going to not bring so much of my personal baggage to work with me as some feel that it is affecting my work and it likely is.

Communication: Even through a very difficult year personally, professionally and otherwise and in order to improve I am going to communicate, communicate, communicate to insure that the RNs I work with understand and know I'm doing my work. I am also going to do what I can to insure that the RNs I work with understand that I need to be informed by them too especially if it is something they need me to do for them or the patients.

Documentation: I try to chart within an hour of finishing any task but if the day is very busy as it has been for a few months I do so ASAP. *** Doesn't help that XXXXX,RN ripped me a bad attitude right in front of co-workers, parents and patients a few months ago at the Lighthouse desk and wouldn't listen to my side. I had charted on all my patients at that point except the I's and O's of one patient at that point because the day was extremely busy and many times that I had the chance to chart I was called away by call-lights or other things pertaining to immediate patient care. I was going to finish charting on the patient as soon as I could. and I know it was a difficult day for her as well. Not complaining. Just wish she would have listened. Made me feel like a heel and darn near worthless. I PRECIATE THAT THIS WAS DIRECTLY TO ME, EVERYONE NEEDS TO IMPROVE THEMSELVES. I RESPECT HER FOR HER HONESTY THERE. Yet, XXXXX does this to many whom she works with. And complains much about her assignments whether she works with a PCA or not. Once in a blue, blue moon she says something decent.*** Ok I shouldn't point fingers but in order to get the point.

Teamwork: I do what I can. Some RNs are more difficult than others to work with But some have this notion that PCA work is PCA work, RN work is RN work and don't budge from it. And are little help. Some RN's seem to display an "I'm better than that" or "since this is the PCA's job it is beneath me" and don't help when it is obvious that I am busy in an isolation room, feeding a baby or such. I've even had some nurses not help set up a room after a patient has arrived with only 5 minutes notice prior to there arrival, yet they are obviously not too busy making personal calls as what happened twice this week on the same day. It is embarrasing at those times to display the "lack of teamwork" when I am doing the best to accomodate an admit. Many times "bending over backwards" to settle in the patient and family. Some work I thought was to be everyone's job. No matter whom it is working. USA, PCA, RN etc. IF THE RN IS TRULY BUSY THEN SO BE IT. BE HONEST.

Goals: To mend any broken fences that I can. I would like to return to school and further my career. Perhaps more social work even medical social work. Must look into it.

I love working for Pediatrics and want to continue. I am happy working here too. But the enlightening from a few has hurt me because it is being done behind my back and without my knowledge. I know this is not the "talking RNs" intent either. They want to see improvement from me and may not want to confront me as to my feelings, thoughts or fear of offending me. For that I feel sorry for them. WE ARE ADULTS WORKING ON A PEDIATRIC FLOOR, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

I know many RNs do appreciate what I do and they show it, thank me for it, or indicate that it was a good shift. This is not something I need everyday. But, it would be decent to see or hear every once in awhile. I know I try too pass on as such to the people I work with.

I take great pride in the work I do. Feel that I am doing many families good. I especially like the Cancer families as I have learned first hand what it is to live with it in my own household. And thanks to the co-worker whom opened my eyes.

Kidzpca

pae1968
01-31-2004, 03:21 PM
Very well said. I hope things work out for you, god bless you and your family.

justme23
01-31-2004, 05:53 PM
I think you should leave the at home issues out of it personally, but other than that it sounds great. Good Luck!!!

EricsnKy
01-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by justme23
I think you should leave the at home issues out of it personally, but other than that it sounds great. Good Luck!!!

I agree

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-31-2004, 07:37 PM

I agree

I would also try to shorten it,it's very long winded (sorry) and sometimes that does more harm then good.

Ok,now from my perspective as an RN and med-surg supervisor...I would prefer direct communication.Talking face to face makes sure nothing is taken out of context. Ask to make time to speak with your superior.

Good luck

Army-Mom
02-01-2004, 07:38 AM
I worked in a nursing home before I got sick and had to stop working and I know it is very hard work..sending prayers your way.
hugs and prayers,
Marcia

queenangie
02-01-2004, 08:29 AM
I agree with DBD. You must be very caring. I'd shorten it, leaving out person issues, and speak directly with your manager or supervisor. Do Not Post it in the staff bathroom.

I'm an RN too. Team work is so important in the hospital. Keep in mind that you are working on the license of that RN and he/she is responsible in a court of law for the care you give, charting, etc.
Any errors by support staff can cost the RN her licensure and her livelihood.

You must be a very caring individual. Keep up your good work ethics. Caring for pedi patients takes a special kind of person and you must have a heart of gold.

Praying for you!
Hugs,
Angie

tina z
02-01-2004, 10:10 AM
(((((((Kevin)))))))))

Blackerose
02-01-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm an RN, and I did work on a Peds unit for several years. I agree with what was already said; please leave out all the personal,family issues. A face to face meeting is a lot better than a letter. Speaking as a former supervisor, I would be a lot more receptive to an in person chat than a letter.

Kelsey1224
02-01-2004, 11:34 AM

I absolutely agree.

I'm an HR person and think that a one or two sentence regarding your numerous personal issues would be sufficient.

The rest is good!

schsa
02-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Why write something. Go straight to the Unit Coordinator and ask this person if they have a problem with your performance. Some people will cause chaos just because they are small minded and think like my sig below. It is petty and without substance.

Talk to your Unit Coordinator and let her/him find out who is the trouble maker. Anyone who does something annonomously is a coward in my books. Your Unit Coordinator should put an end to things and put this person in their place.

kidzpca
02-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks so much for your imput. If nothing else this has been very theraputic. I have worked this out in my head and written other forms too. I know my evaluation is coming up and it may not go well. However, it gives me some ideas as to what to do when finally confronted. ESPECIALLY SINCE AT THIS TIME NO MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR HAS DONE SO YET.

But, I've found out whom my real colleages are.

Thanks to my co-worker whom sat me down and talked to me for just a moment helped my perspective very much.

My epiphany that came to me since Friday's shift is I now know exactly what I want to do for my future. I'm thinking of going back to school to become a Medical Social Worker as I don't see myself moving onward and upward in the position I'm in.

I just had a difficult (at best) year in 2003 and I hope if the Managers are aware of the goings on and are keeping wraps with understanding where I'm coming from.

I have thought of talking to the Coordinators or Main Manager but wonder if I should wait til my evaluation.

justme23
02-01-2004, 02:15 PM
I probably wouldn't wait. This is an issue now and it needs to be out in the open so that the supervisors can keep a closer eye to put an end to all the gossip. My cousin is an emergency room nurse and I could not believe all the petty bs that goes on in that place. It's absurd, they're there to save lives not chit chat about stuff normal ppl wouldn't even discuss in a work environment!!! I do realize alot of times its a stress release but the gossiping is just dumb and if you have to go to the managers to get it stopped then that's exactly what I'd do. Just stay calm and focused and you'll do just fine. You've been there 8 years... I would think if it were true it would have happened a long time ago.

Dizzyontheweb
02-01-2004, 02:24 PM
While I agree face to face is best, sometimes a letter is good. It lets the person get it out without being so emotional. I know I get upset when talking to someone about a problem face to face. Just my opinion.