PDA

View Full Version : Just dont know what to do(job related)

cpbaby
01-31-2004, 09:52 AM
I am 35 and for the past year have been working in a SMALL(6 employees counting me and the boss/owner) retail store that sells public safety uniforms. I run the embroidery machines mainly but do alterations and filing as needed when my job allows. I can take my children to work with me if needed(because they are sick or I havent a baby sitter, even the newborn) and the hours are WAY flexible.

I gave birth to my 3rd child, Sophie, on Jan 9 via c/s. My boss knew since last May that I was going to take maternity leave in January. His wife worked there until she gave birth in July, so he knows women need time after giving birth to recuperate. He waited until the first week in Dec to hire a replacement for me.(would do my job while I was gone and then do paperwork and work with customers after I came back) I worked with her and worked with her to teach her my job. She did the job very well the day I left(I worked a full shift the day before my c/s).

Apparently she had a "melt down" the first day she was alone. Tore the machine up and ruined a BUNCH of garments. She then told the boss that I hadnt trained her and a bunch of other mess. I took the baby up there at 10 days old, not knowing what I was walking into. It was BAD.He was mad because I "should have told him if she couldnt do the job instead of letting her screw stuff up". I told him if he didnt like what I taught her to fire me(Yes, that was bad of me) The thing is, SHE WAS ABLE TO DO THE JOB WHEN I LEFT! Of course, if she flat refuses to do it while Im not there, I cant prove otherwise.

OK, so my boss called me at home and we talked. I am going back to work there(I wasnt sure he wanted me back, to be honest). The thing is, he wants me to come back three days a week after I can start driving again(4 weeks no driving due to the c/s) on Feb 9. I am not due to come off of my maternty leave till Feb 23(only 6 weeks post partum), if then. He is offering to have his wife babysit for me those three days for free if I will come back those two weeks early.(cant put Sophie in daycare till shes 6 weeks old) (He also mentioned paying for a cab to pick me and the baby up this past week and this coming week, bring us to work and to bring us home everyday, 25 miles ONE WAY, but I said NO)

I said I would think about it, because I am off work with NO PAY right now and things are tight.

Also, I found out yesterday that this new girl has apprently done things to the files I keep on each departments specs. The regualr alteration lady called yesterday wanting to know what colors to use for a certain departments badge. I told her it was in the file, along with a picture. They(the reg alt lady and my boss) went through the file AND PARTS OF IT ARE GONE! HE was upset adn was saying things about me needing to keep better records, BUT IT WAS THERE WHEN I LEFT! I have a horrible memory, (worse while preg) and dont leave ANYTHING to chance.

I dont see good things happening if I go back early. To be honest, I dont see good things happening as long as the"replacement" is working there. My boss told me he has already warned her to NOT upset me in anyway when I come back(I think he is afraid I will walk out and leave him hanging) but if shes messing with my job and my relationships at the job with me not there, I cant WAIT till I come back and see what happens.

ARGH!!! I just dont know whether to go back for three days a week the last two weeks of my maternity leave or not. I am nervous about going back at all becuase of how this girl has acted since I have been gone. I NEED the job(working on my Bachelors) and USED to like it there. Now I just dont know.

YankeeMary
01-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you are very needed and wanted...since the boss is willing to pay for you a cab and have his wife babysit (as long as you know and trust her) then what can it hurt if YOU feel up to it.Thats what is important here, if you are physically and mentally able to get back into it already. Also if you can do it, then possibly once you are there you can prove that you did teach this stupid woman the right way. She sounds like a FLAKE. I hope you are able to decide whats best for YOU...good luck.

freeplease
01-31-2004, 10:35 AM
You are way too valuable to this company to be put in this position. First off, that replacement has to go. Next, you deserve a raise. Obviously, the company can't function without you. Don't sell yourself short. A good employee is like money in the bank for this guy. And instead of a cab, I think the boss should either come and get you, or send and employee to get you. No way would I trust a cab (at least not the way they drive around here!)to drive me and a baby around.
But most of all, don't let this effect your health. Having a baby is VERY stressful to your body. You need time to heal.Take it day by day and see how your feeling. Don't overdo. The money is only good if you live through it. Take care, good luck, and congrats on the new baby! :D

twinkiesmom
01-31-2004, 11:40 AM
LOL sounds like boss can't do w/o u! U have the upper hand in this one, honey. If you are physically able to do this, u call the shots. If the new chick hasta go to make life easier for u, u tell the boss that. But if the wife is willing to babysit and your transportation is gonna get paid and u need the $$$, why not go back a cpl days and start getting things back together for when u do go back full time? But if it's too stressful, tell the boss that. Good Luck!

schsa
01-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Go back but only do it as long as he keeps up his part of the bargain. Then show him exactly where everything is and how to find things. I agree that his wife decided that she didn't want to do the work and blamed it on you. That's an easy way to get out of doing a job and he can't really fire her.

Then once you get back full time and things are smooth, ask for a raise. He needs you more than you need him and he should reimburse you according to how you help his business. And you do help him out alot more than he is helping you right now.

cpbaby
01-31-2004, 01:39 PM
I agree that his wife decided that she didn't want to do the work and blamed it on you. That's an easy way to get out of doing a job and he can't really fire her.

Its not his wife thats the problem. His wife quit in July before the baby was born to be a SAHM. Its the girl he hired to do my job while Im gone. His wife is GREAT. I am willing to let her keep Sophie(and Im particular) but she has a 4 yr old and a 5 month old of her own. I am not sure she really wants to keep my Sophie, except he wants her to. But, thats not here nor there, its the way this idiot twit is acting that is upsetting me. I know that since I am not there to defend myself, the twit gets believed by default. Also, if she is messing with my files when I am gone(and I think she is, too many things are gone), showing him where things are will NOT help anything. If parts of the files arent there, I look bad by default and I cant prove the information was there to begin with.

He has promised me a $1.50 ph raise when I come back(or more, but promised the $1.50).

This sounds so bad since I am so poor, but I was really looking forward to the 6 weeks off with Sophie. Now, since she was ten days old, I have worried and stressed over this dratted job. I am kind glad that I cant drive for another week so I am not able to go back to work, but then I feel guilty for not being at work and leaving them in a bind. At least with my old job, I was NOT allowed back to work until I had a release from the OB(company policy). Thats not an issue at this place.

FreeBnutt
02-01-2004, 05:15 AM
Soulds like the replacement is a follower (and a good one) not a leader, or independant worker like you, which explains the mess.

As for going back ahead of time, even 3 days a week, I don't remember seeing how long the 'day' is, 8+ hours per day or what? AND IF you aren't suppose to drive, because of the CS, what makes you think you should be moving your arms more often? and upsetting your abdomin area? That is not making sense to me?

Little story: I was 'cut up' in the C section area, off work for six weeks, when the doctor thought I could go back to work, and I had a sit down job. BUT when I needed to get something, or go to the files, I had to either get up, or do a lot of twisting which agrivated the area, and within the first two or three hours of work, I had to leave and go to the doctor on an emergency basis, because I started running a high temp, and the area started bleeding because of the 'extra' movements. The doctor did what he needed to do, and I went back to work three days later.

So be careful, and do it one day at a time. Your health is very important.

queenangie
02-01-2004, 09:50 AM
You just had major surgery, girl! That's why you have the six weeks off work. Think about the motor's vibration of the sewing machine on that healing incision and the arm movements you'll need to work the machine. Ouch!
The above posters are correct, the owner of the shop needs you. This new chicka is the problem at the shop.
We'll be praying for you.
Let us know how it turns out, girl!
Hugs,
Angie

cpbaby
02-03-2004, 03:05 PM
OK, Update.

I am going back to work on Monday. Sophie will be 4w 3d old. She WILL be going with me. However, she wont be in the same room with the machines. I plan on working two or three days a week for the two weeks until she can start going to daycare.

Im not sure what is going on there because I wont ask (yet, hehehe) but they called me 4 times Friday, 4 times yesterday, and 3 times today along with the numerous emails about different things. NO MENTION of the new girl has been made, so I dont know if shes still there or not. I guess I will find out Monday. As long as she stays out of my way, my life will be ok. IF I have to put up with any BS when I go back, I will be looking for another job. The hours wont be as flexible, but Im sure I can find a job here in town at the same or more money. That will save me $25 a week just in gas money and I will get 40 hours instead of the 35 I work now. I do like the hours now though. Im so lazy! lol

twinkiesmom
02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Hope it works out for u! Don't take no chit from em. Like I said, u got the upper hand, honey. U quit, they'd be uppa crick.

ang in NC
02-04-2004, 10:13 PM
All I can say is you are a tough cookie going back so fast after a c-section! Take care of yourself.