PDA

View Full Version : I am so mad, someone stole one of my checks

dena_darling
01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
I can go online and view my checking acct. Well, i was just seeing what checks went through and noticed that I had a bounced check and the bank charged me $25. Someone, I don't know who yet, went in my pocketbook and took a check out of my check book, they took one from the very back and made it out for $200. It bounced cause I don't even have that much in my acct. Tomorrow i am going to call my bank and ask about the check, who is was made out to etc. It had to have been dh, our roomie, his ex, or his girlfriend. But DH and roomie say it wasn't them (of course). But whoever did it, i am going to prosecute.

MamaFairal
01-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Bummer :(

Hope you BBQ them.........lol
Thats just wrong!

schsa
01-29-2004, 06:04 PM
If it wasn't your signature and the bank cashed it or they didn't ask for id, I would think that the bank would have no choice but to give your money back to you. The reason they keep your signature on file is so they can verify the signature.

They have the check so this shouldn't be that hard to clear up.

iluvmybaby
01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
schsa is RIGHT, if the bank cashed it without ID they are responsible, find out WHO it was made out to ((bussiness)) and call and complain they can get in SERIOUS trouble for taking a check w/out ID

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Bad news kids...when Robert's mom was having brain surgery and quadruple bypass, someone stole a BOOK of checks and bounced 'em all over town. The police were involved. Even though they knew who did it (everyone had to go through the handwriting analysis), Robert's mom was STILL held responsible for it. Even though she had letters from the hospital & doctors stating that she was in a COMA. This was several years ago and she is still having trouble with 2 of the checks. She recently got a court summons for it and she is going to fight it. I hope you have better luck than she did!

JWWB2000
01-30-2004, 07:44 AM
What a pain in the rear!! Hope you find out who did this really soon!!

lassss
01-30-2004, 08:01 AM
wow that sucks..sorry to hear that....check your credit cards and make sure they are there and no purchases have been made on them

Urban Cowgirl
01-30-2004, 09:07 AM
sorry to hear about your trouble. One good thing is that the bank in most situations is liable. The bad news is that sometimes it can take them a while to clear things up. Did you find out who did it yet??

I like my online banking now because we can view checks that have cleared the account. So if a check clear that I did not remember writing I can look at an image of it right away.

Also stealing from the back of a check book is typical because you would notice it missing right away, and usually it is someone you know. We saw this kind of stuff all the time when I worked at the bank.

pae1968
01-30-2004, 09:52 AM
I went thru that kinda, but it was my debit card that was stolen. I had never used the thing, but always kept it in my purse, I never even checked my bank statment either, cuz I always pretty much keep good records in my ledger. One day I decided to call the bank to see what my paycheck was and I checked my balance and it said I had negative 400.00 in it. My mouth dropped and I called the bank right away to see what was going on, I went to the bank so we could go over everything, and that's when I found out that my card was gone. They told me that I was responsible for it because I should know where my card is at all times. I had told them where I kept it and also told them to check my records becuz I had never even used it. The money was drawn out of an atm, and I told them to get the darn video tape and check it out, cuz whoever did it I wanted to prosecute. I had an idea who it was, but I needed the tape for proof, cuz he never would fess up to it. Well loe and behold of course the bank never changed the tape and on that certain day, it had all ready been taped over. I was soooo mad, the one time I could get this creep and the bank screws it up for me. They did end up giving me back pretty much all the money that had taken out of me for fees, I think I was just liable for 50.00. which wasnt that bad. and alot of the checks they let clear anyways, only because I have direct deposit. But they never even sent me one iota of a letter saying I was having problems with my account or anything. I hope your problem works out for you, and you nail the person, because once they do it they will do it again, until there caught.

Danny
01-30-2004, 10:06 AM
My father in law had some checks stolen and forged (in another state no less) and we went to the bank, signed some statements and the bank just put the funds back in the account. No problems - we pretty much knew who stole them and gave the bank the info and they said "thanks. but for this small amount of money we won't even bother" That small amount was over $1500!!! It becomes a felony after $500 - how do they figure"small amount"?? At least they returned the money to the account - hope you have good luck too.

suher99
01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Sorry about that OP. I had my debit card stolen, but the bank was at fault! Get this, they mailed three cards to the wrong address!(I had just moved)They chared over $2000 and I was not held responsible for any of it. Believe me they tried, but I won. Yes I did change banks ASAP!

justme23
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by JENNIFERCATLADY
Bad news kids...when Robert's mom was having brain surgery and quadruple bypass, someone stole a BOOK of checks and bounced 'em all over town. The police were involved. Even though they knew who did it (everyone had to go through the handwriting analysis), Robert's mom was STILL held responsible for it. Even though she had letters from the hospital & doctors stating that she was in a COMA. This was several years ago and she is still having trouble with 2 of the checks. She recently got a court summons for it and she is going to fight it. I hope you have better luck than she did!

This has got to be a WV thing. I know here in Texas (I wrote several bad checks when I was 19, but they were MINE) if you do it and they can prove it through hand writing experts the bank will press charges and then sue you for the money they had to reimburse... and the businesses are generally required to drop all 'bank fees'... however, they are never again required to take another check from your d/l.

dena_darling
01-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Well, I called the bank today and told her the story. She ordered a copy of the check and found out it was written to my roomie, supposedly signed by me, and in the memo section, "rent" was put down.
(Which was stupid cause why would I be paying him rent when he lives in my house, pratically rent free). She said that it was cashed at a credit union. Well roomie has an acct at that credit union. I was steaming mad. We let him live with us, lend him money, he only has to
pay us $25 a week for rent (which he has not lately because he lost his job) and he would steal from me. Anyway, i said i wanted to press charges and she told me that I would have to file a police report and then send it to her and she would credit my acct. She said that the police can request a copy of the security tape and find out who cashed the check. They closed my acct also so i am without any money. Cause I can't use my atm or checks now since they are sending me new ones.

The bank told me that the police probably wouldn't do too much because it was only $200. To me thats a lot of money.

I got home from work, and called the police and they sent someone over
to take the report. I packed up all of roomies stuff and have it sitting in my living room. Roomie comes home and I told him that i was filing a police report on him for stealing my check. And I wanted him the F... out of my house. He starts crying saying he didn't do that, etc. etc.

The police get here while roomie is here. I told them the whole story and roomie said he did not do it. They had him contact his bank to find out if any check was deposited or cashed through his acct. It was NOT. So we find out that it was his ex, who took the check and cashed it through her acct at the credit union. She had written the check out to Brian (roomie) and cashed it under her acct.
Saying that he was her hubby and she needed to cash it. So I guess charges will be filed against her.

So I filed the charges and an investigator is supposed to get in contact with me. I have to give them a copy of the check (the bank is mailing it to me). And I can get a copy of the police report in 3 days. Then I have to mail that to the bank to get credit.

Oh, roomies ex still claims she did not do it.

Danny
01-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Let her claim that to the judge....

AngelGrim
01-30-2004, 03:25 PM
I agree with Danny,she will have to explain all of it to the judge, then when it all comes down to brass tacks she will be in trouble and I hope that the judge nails her good.