PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I know he's kidding but..

Mini
01-29-2004, 02:23 PM
I talked to my friend for the first time on the phone the other day and he told me he could not understand one single word I said. He lives in N.C. and I could understand him just fine but he calls the way I talk "Tennessee Talk" I had no idea there was a name for it:D
But if any of you have ever been up in northeast TN(yes theres more after Knoxville LOL) the accents are terrible and I just happen to live here:rolleyes: :D I like it though, confuses the heck outta everybody:D

cpbaby
01-29-2004, 02:28 PM
I totally understand. I was made fun of when I moved to Georgia a few years ago. They claimed I talked funny and they couldnt understand me. To be honest, THEY were the ones who talked funny.;)

janelle
01-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Move to Kansas. We speak and everyone understands. At least a lot of companies that take orders over the phone come here cause more people around the country can understand us more than people in other states. Must be cause we are in the middle of the country and have people from all over settle here. We learn all the accents and combine them so everyone can understand. LOL :p

BigLyd1
01-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Now honestly Californians don't have accents, do they?

janelle
01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Just the Valley Girls. My neices where here from Los Angeles and they were worried about their beauty salon appointments. They were on their cell phones trying to get their "regular" girl to take them when they got back. Not so much an accent but a culture.;)

Mini
01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, when I talked to sinned he had one but it was definately not bad, as in I could understand him.

nanajoanie
01-29-2004, 03:57 PM
I don't think I have an accent but when I call relatives in Michigan, they say I do. To me they just talk too fast.

justme23
01-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by BigLyd1
Now honestly Californians don't have accents, do they?

Yes... yes they do. My brother (who for obvious reasons isn't a valley girl) has one of the strangest accents I've ever heard and he grew up in cali!

janelle
01-29-2004, 04:11 PM
When my BIL moved to Texas his girls became. Yvette--pronounced E Vet is E Vaaauutte, Michelle pronounced ME Shell is Me shaaauulll and Elise promounced E lease is Elsie. LOL They drawl out the names.

I don't know where one woman was from but we have an Eldorado in Kansas and we pronounce it EL DOR RAY DOE here. This woman said EL DORA DO. :eek:

sinned96
01-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Yep "Tennessee Talk". He's right and I don't have a Cali accent just ask biglyd, annie or P4J. I couldn't tell if you had an accent Mini you hardly said anyhing. She was playing the shy act. :) I thought for sure you would live up to your name Minimouth

fatesfaery
01-29-2004, 04:40 PM
I think most states have something distictive in their accents. When I moved from SC to Louisiana when I was a teenager, all the boys would get off the bus at my bus stop and ask me to talk.....I had this sort of hillbilly accent and they thought it was cool. I thought they were the ones with the accent.

People in Upstate SC and people from the Lowcountry in SC have very different accents. Same is true for Louisiana, so I'm sure it's probably true for other states.

And yeah....people in CA have accents, not as pronouced as other accents, but still there.

Gherky
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Can't remember if you had much of an accent or not...you hardly had anything to say. :D Even though I was born here in TN I don't think that I have one. :p

justme23
01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by janelle
When my BIL moved to Texas his girls became. Yvette--pronounced E Vet is E Vaaauutte, Michelle pronounced ME Shell is Me shaaauulll and Elise promounced E lease is Elsie. LOL They drawl out the names.

I don't know where one woman was from but we have an Eldorado in Kansas and we pronounce it EL DOR RAY DOE here. This woman said EL DORA DO. :eek:

This is an individual thing, not a Texas thing... I assure you, we aren't all dumb hicks and can pronounce those names just fine. :)

Also, El Dorado in Texas (yes, we have one too) is pronounced EL DORA DO... no :eek: about it. It's funny you said that, hubby and I were watching American Justice last night and they were talking about a Doctor who went to prison in El Dorado Kansas and when he pronounced it we thought :eek: too.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-29-2004, 06:21 PM
I talk to Tina on the phone and I understand every thang she says lol

JKATHERINE
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm from Maine...people here are always stereotyped as having this terrible accent, but I think if you spoke to me in person you would see that I do not have one of those! :)

NINK
01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
well i am from ohio, ohio is known for not having an acent, we do have a few thinsg that are commonly said here, like we say you guys alot and it doesn't mean your a guy it just means the same thing as you all or y'all . and we end our sentences with un needed prepasitions like where'd yoy put it at? instead of where'd you put it. we also say pop instead of soda. but as far as having an acent we don't, i have heard comedians making fun og us for not having anything to make fun of us for, lol.

janelle
01-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by justme23
This is an individual thing, not a Texas thing... I assure you, we aren't all dumb hicks and can pronounce those names just fine. :)

Also, El Dorado in Texas (yes, we have one too) is pronounced EL DORA DO... no :eek: about it. It's funny you said that, hubby and I were watching American Justice last night and they were talking about a Doctor who went to prison in El Dorado Kansas and when he pronounced it we thought :eek: too.

Thanks justme23. I guess she was from Texas. I only thought El Dorado was pronounced differently in California. Like half the country said it El Dor ray doe, and half said El dor rod doe. :p

I always know when we have a new news person from out of town when they pronounce the local towns differently. Then they start to pronounce things the way the locals do.

I didn't say people were dumb hicks for pronouncing names differently. If that was true then all of are dumb hicks to someone else. :p

justme23
01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by janelle
I didn't say people were dumb hicks for pronouncing names differently. If that was true then all of are dumb hicks to someone else. :p

I know, it's just all my inlaws are in CT and so I am used to getting regularly picked on about how I pronounce things so I always fire back w/out thinking. I know you didn't mean any harm and I'm sorry if I sounded rude.