PDA

View Full Version : Smoking around children is NOT ok, and if

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 01:09 PM
you think so you better wake up out of la-la land and read up on the subject.

Saying it's perfectly ok to smoke around children is like thinking in the dark ages. Just 50 years ago allot of Americans thought segregation was ok too. But things change and now we know it's not right.
Same as smoking is not good around others. And just because a few are ok that were raised up around smoke, doesn't necessarily mean that it didn't have ill effects on your health in some form.

All I can say is you can flame away, fan the flames all you want...but that still doesn't change the facts that it is harmful to others...

Second-hand smoke causes lung cancer
Nonsmokers are exposed to the same carcinogens as active smokers. Even the typical levels of passive exposure have been shown to cause lung cancer among never smokers. Second-hand tobacco smoke IS carcinogenic to humans.

http://www.iarc.fr/pageroot/PRELEASES/pr141a.html

zitra
01-28-2004, 01:25 PM
If this is about the other post regarding smoking..I don't think anyone said that it is o.k. to smke around children, just that it is not regarded as child abuse, because if it were, most people i know would be in jail, and would have had their children taken away...IMO no it is not o.k. to smoke around children (I don't smoke, and don't allow anyone in my home to), but it is not a reason to have your child taken away, becuase as I said, thousands of people would have lost their children if this were true..

ksmomof2
01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I absolutely agree with you. I used to smoke and I did not do it around my kids. The risks of secondhand smoke are already well-known, and then there are in the increased risks of asthma and other breathing-related ailments for kids. Are your kids not precious enough not to subject them to that?? I think smoking in a house in when you have kids is just wrong! They smell like smoke, their toys do, their clothes do, and the list goes on. They shouldn't have to suffer the consesquences of adult's bad habits! I could go on, but I won't. I just don't understand how anyone could think that it's ok and not bad for their kids. :confused:

Dolly<3
01-28-2004, 01:33 PM
I agree. I don't even smoke around my cat.

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by zitra
If this is about the other post regarding smoking..I don't think anyone said that it is o.k. to smke around children, just that it is not regarded as child abuse,
Oh yeah some of them did say that they seen nothing wrong with smoking around children.

And maybe allot of people don't see it as abuse, but allot of people use to think spanking wasn't abuse either. Things change....

Originally posted by zitra
but it is not a reason to have your child taken away, because as I said, thousands of people would have lost their children if this were true..

Honestly I don't know why a few started nick picking on that one thing, because there was a whole world of reasons other than smoking that the OP was posting about. I think the smoking part was a take off from my post to another member that said she seen nothing wrong with smoking around children. Then others chose to focus on my reply rather than the OP's original post for some odd reason.

Kelsey1224
01-28-2004, 01:37 PM
I agree with you 100%. However, I think this post serves no purpose other than to stir things up and cause people to get hostile to one another.

However. This is the V/W board and the e-mail function to the mods has been disabled...so post away.

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ksmomof2
I absolutely agree with you. I used to smoke and I did not do it around my kids. The risks of secondhand smoke are already well-known, and then there are in the increased risks of asthma and other breathing-related ailments for kids. Are your kids not precious enough not to subject them to that?? I think smoking in a house in when you have kids is just wrong! They smell like smoke, their toys do, their clothes do, and the list goes on. They shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of adult's bad habits! I could go on, but I won't. I just don't understand how anyone could think that it's ok and not bad for their kids. :confused:

When I stopped smoking, and my husband started smoking outside my son stopped getting sick all winter long...no ear aches, no coughing, no more sore throats, etc.....he use to stay sick all winter with one thing or another. Now he don't.....so I'm ashamed to say that it was my smoking around him that must have been causing it.

ksmomof2, I agree with you 100% on everything you said. Also about your kids smelling like smoke. I can remember my son coming in telling me once about kids kidding him on the bus about sticking like cig. smoke. I felt so bad. I use to give him his bath and wash his hair in the morning, I would leave his clothes in the dryer and iron them while he was bathing and still just the short time from the house to the bus he would stink like smoke I guess. I'm ashamed of myself now for subjecting him to ridicule just because of my own selfish needs.

PeggySue
01-28-2004, 01:48 PM
However. This is the V/W board and the e-mail function to the mods has been disabled...so post away.
.. off topic here but.. is this a glicth they have or decide not to do it anymore:( i do know i havent gotten any replies to any of my posts:(

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
I agree with you 100%. However, I think this post serves no purpose other than to stir things up and cause people to get hostile to one another.

I didn't start this just to stir up something. It was started because I didn't want to post on the other ladies thread about it anymore because her post is being torn appart over it. I didn't think it was fair to her to keep posting about this subject on her post. So that was why I started another post.

It's a good subject and from the looks of things it's much worth talking about.

Technologist
01-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Although the report button is disabled, We are watching..

And to go off topic (or is it back on topic???), Spanking a child is not child abuse (IMHO).

But I agree that smoking around children is not good...

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Technologist
And to go off topic (or is it back on topic???), Spanking a child is not child abuse (IMHO).

I don't think it is abuse either to spank a child, but I was trying to make a point that things that use to be ok aren't as acceptable as they use to be. There are lot's of parents who do consider spanking abuse nowadays, but back in the old days it was considered a everyday thing.

Now stop watching my thread! LOL

Kelsey1224
01-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
I didn't start this just to stir up something. It was started because I didn't want to post on the other ladies thread about it anymore because her post is being torn appart over it. I didn't think it was fair to her to keep posting about this subject on her post. So that was why I started another post.

It's a good subject and from the looks of things it's much worth talking about.

Fair enough. I apologize if it sounds like I was accusing of something which did not apply. (Actually, in hindsight...I was accusing you...but I was obviously wrong.)

It is an interesting topic and, like I said, I agree with you.

I kind of liken it to people who took thalilomide (sp?) in the 50's. These people had no idea of the damage it would cause their unborn children. No one would consider taking it now because it is illegal. Drinking alcohol (even small amounts) can cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

As with smoking, we didn't know the damage it caused before.

We now know the damage. I personally wouldn't want to risk my children.

zitra
01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Although the report button is disabled, We are watching..

ITA

okie
01-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Okay,so now not only can we not smoke or drink around our kids because it's abuse.We can't spank our kids now because that is abuse.Hello,let's get real.I will smoke and drink wherever i want.And i certainly will spank my child because i do not want him to grow up to be like the kids we have now who go around doing whatever they want to do.Flame away all you want to on the spanking but i will continue to spank him.That's what has happened to this country.Parents are afraid to spank their kids because they think dhs will come take them away.And look at how the kids act now.I do not beat my son but i will spank.

Willow
01-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I think with all of the evidence that we have now that smoking around children SHOULD be considered abusive. Why should it be legal to do something around your children that could cause them serious health issues.

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
Fair enough. I apologize if it sounds like I was accusing of something which did not apply. (Actually, in hindsight...I was accusing you...but I was obviously wrong.)

It is an interesting topic and, like I said, I agree with you.

I kind of liken it to people who took thalilomide (sp?) in the 50's. These people had no idea of the damage it would cause their unborn children. No one would consider taking it now because it is illegal. Drinking alcohol (even small amounts) can cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

As with smoking, we didn't know the damage it caused before.

We now know the damage. I personally wouldn't want to risk my children.
Thanks Kelsey for posting :)
I was raised up in a smoking home, and seen nothing wrong with raising my child that was as well until I became more educated on the subject. I love your reply, your very intelligent lady. :)

Technologist
01-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Patchouli
Why should it be legal to do something around your children that could cause them serious health issues.

Patch, forgive me for quoting you, but I'm sure others think the same way.... and I need the context to say the next thing. :D

You drive your kids to school, the store, etc. You COULD get into an accident, and the kids could get hurt.... should that be illegal, or classified as child abuse?

Take it one step further... at what age can a child be a passenger on a motorcyle???

How come you can get a ticket for not buckling in a kid, but school buses don't have seatbelts???

These, and many more questions can be brought up....

:D

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 02:30 PM

You drive your kids to school, the store, etc. You COULD get into an accident, and the kids could get hurt.... should that be illegal, or classified as child abuse?

We subject our children to smoking out of our own selfishness. It is something that isn't a requirement just to survive in this world. Transportation is a very important part of our daily lives, whereas smoking is not!

Willow
01-28-2004, 02:31 PM
In my opinion driving in a car is different than smoking near your children. No one else has to agree. It's only my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D My son's bus does have seat belts.

silvermist
01-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Patch, forgive me for quoting you, but I'm sure others think the same way.... and I need the context to say the next thing. :D

Take it one step further... at what age can a child be a passenger on a motorcyle???

How come you can get a ticket for not buckling in a kid, but school buses don't have seatbelts???

These, and many more questions can be brought up....

:D

Those are POTENTIAL risks the way I see it. It could or NOT happen. You don't know what will happen but you use your better judgement with that.

But with smoking it most likely WILL have an effect as in children getting sick and their immune system going down quicker. You can see what will happen before it does which makes the whole difference. Like even being around a smoker for a few hours I get sick which is like 100 percent of the time so far so I try to limit it around people who smoke. Than I start sneezing, coughing, etc. for a few days. I do have a friend who's mother smokes and she's like pretty much ALWAYS sick for one thing or another like a constant cold all the time. Plus the fact that she stays indoors all the timedoesn't help. Even though it might not MAKE a child have cancer it will most likely definitely bring down their system to make them have more colds, etc. as children's immune systems are weak to begin with.

silvermist
01-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by okie
Okay,so now not only can we not smoke or drink around our kids because it's abuse.We can't spank our kids now because that is abuse.Hello,let's get real.I will smoke and drink wherever i want.And i certainly will spank my child because i do not want him to grow up to be like the kids we have now who go around doing whatever they want to do.Flame away all you want to on the spanking but i will continue to spank him.That's what has happened to this country.Parents are afraid to spank their kids because they think dhs will come take them away.And look at how the kids act now.I do not beat my son but i will spank.

Well I don't know what spanking has to do with smoking? But as long as it's not really hard enough to make them cry alot it's ok? I guess. I believe there are other methods that are better that will make them behave. Smacking them doesn't always solve everything and will probably make them act out and hold a grudge against you.

Drinking won't exactly be effecting them so I don't see problems with that unless the adult gets so drunk and scares the kid.

And smoking I just don't believe is right. It's like forcing someone to be around you and they can't get away since they live there too. It's like when it used to be a problem with restaurants. Even with divided sections you could still smell it since it floats in air and it's forcing habits onto other people. It's like if someone basically threw stinkbombs in a restaurant lol It's subjects other people to the smells they don't want which is what it comes down to. It can also trigger allergies whereelse they otherwise wouldn't have them.

Technologist
01-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Okay, I agree (Did I just say that???).

There are different levels of options and choices that people make...

Okay, how about drinking around your kids???

Or serving them BEEF and SODA POP for dinner???

You could be creating little alcoholics, or setting them up for heart disease and diabetes later in life....

freeby4me
01-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Some people smoke, some dont. Its their right. No, smoking around a child should never be labeled as child abuse. Feeding your child McDonalds to some people is horrid, Some people its a treat. Either way we know the side affects that type of food can have on a child.
How about how discusting an elementary school is, how germ ridden and nasty it is. Most children get more sick from something at school than other places. Should it be considered child abuse to send the child to school? Or how about the parent that sends her/his child to school knowing full well they are ill? Should their child be taken away from them then?
We know its a bad thing but this is a personal decision. I grew up in a smoking home and i was RARELY sick. But I would NOT smoke around my child because i do know the danger.

Donnagg123
01-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Okay,so now not only can we not smoke or drink around our kids because it's abuse.We can't spank our kids now because that is abuse.Hello,let's get real.I will smoke and drink wherever i want.And i certainly will spank my child because i do not want him to grow up to be like the kids we have now who go around doing whatever they want to do.

I probably would not call it abuse exactly, but yes it is not good to smoke around children. I mean they have already proved that cigarettes and alcohol are similar to a drug. Therefore, smoking or drinking around your children is the same as doing drugs in front of them. Do you feel it is okay to do drugs in front of a child? I don't believe that you are a bad parent for smoking in front of your children. It is just that most are wrapped up in their "addiction" whether it be smoking, drinking or drugs they will say anything to justify what they are doing. What will you do if your child begins smoking? Parents are usually the best example setters. I want you to know this is not an attack, I am just asking because most do not realize some things unless it is pointed out to them. Just like Kyla Kim said. She did not realize what she was doing till it was right in her face and she could not deny it anymore. Kyla was not a bad parent either. She was just wrapped up in an addiction. Smoking IS addictive.

silvermist
01-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Okay, I agree (Did I just say that???).

There are different levels of options and choices that people make...

Okay, how about drinking around your kids???

Or serving them BEEF and SODA POP for dinner???

You could be creating little alcoholics, or setting them up for heart disease and diabetes later in life....

Well I think there's a difference. Like you can INFORM and teach your kids not to drink and plus after 21 they have the CHOICE to drink or not to. Or just occasionally all on what YOU as a parent teach them. With smoking it's just forcing them to breath the smoke and will sicken them regardless and they have NO choice unless you smoke outdoors. You subject them to have smelly clothes, have a weaker immune system, etc. Like just being around smokes for ten minutes for me I can notice my hair and clothes smelling awful and need to shower after getting home.

As long as they eat balanced meals beef and soda is fine. Just like with drinking there's an option to TEACH them to eat healthy and balanced meals with occasional treats. Like you're not FORCING them to eat beef and drink wine whereas with smoking you are.

Anthill
01-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Well I don't know what spanking has to do with smoking? But as long as it's not really hard enough to make them cry alot it's ok? I guess. I believe there are other methods that are better that will make them behave. Smacking them doesn't always solve everything and will probably make them act out and hold a grudge against you

My mother used to spank us. And I defintly don't hold a grudge against her. Infact, when I saw my sister get hit, it taught me not to do the things that my sister did, etc. I am not saying she took a belt to us, but she would hit us on our bottom w/ our clothes on. And you learned to behave.

Willow
01-28-2004, 02:56 PM
I don't drink alcohol or eat meat. lol My son won't eat meat so it's not really worth it to cook it just for me. I do drink soda and on occassion my son will have a glass of root beer but it's not an everyday thing.

nightowl2
01-28-2004, 03:01 PM
I was told a while back that if your child has Pnemonia
and or Broncitis (sp) and you continue to smoke around them
that it is considered child abuse.
There was an article that i read about this and it
said that if you know of someone that smokes around kids
when they are sick you can call the police on them for
child abuse.

andreame70
01-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I have just added another topic to my list of things that are too controversial to discuss among most people:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3) Race relations
4) Abortion (You are absolutely right Kelsey1224 ty for the reminder)
5) Smoking

Kelsey1224
01-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by andreame70
I have just added another topic to my list of things that are too controversial to discuss among most people:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3) Race relations
4) Smoking

You are a wise woman.

I think I would add:

5) Abortion

(Okay...I have definitely cr@pped in this thread...LOL.)

twinkiesmom
01-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
There are lot's of parents who do consider spanking abuse nowadays, but back in the old days it was considered a everyday thing.

wow. I must still live 'back in the day' lol

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by twinkiesmom
wow. I must still live 'back in the day' lol
You must have if you have never heard that nowadays allot of people do consider it child abuse. :)

Stange how threads get turned into something else...that was the whole reason I started a new post because the other ladies post was being turned into a smoking debate thread...so I try and create a thread for just this topic..now it's being turned into a spanking thread...wonder what a spanking thread would turn into? LOL :p

twinkiesmom
01-28-2004, 03:39 PM
it'll turn me into CPS! lol

ksmomof2
01-28-2004, 03:39 PM
lol Kyla..I was wondering the same thing. How the heck did this turn into a spanking thread?? :confused: I have to say though that I grew up with my dad always smoking around me and I hated it (why I started I'll never understand :rolleyes: )but I also know that it was just the way things were then and they didn't have all the information we do now. I give you a lot of credit for realizing that it wasn't good for around your kids and the remorse that you have for it. :)Hopefully that makes sense, I'm reading it and I'm not sure it does. lol :D

socks1211
01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
ok i am putting my 2 cents in this

i smoke in my house and my immune system is just fine i dont get colds very often

and i am not smoking outside when it is as cold as it has been the past month i have no garage to go to to smoke

i also smoke outside when it is spring summer and fall and when it is nice out and not too hot i will open all the windows and let air in and the smoke always goes out the window unless it is real windy out

Stange how threads get turned into something else...that was the whole reason I started a new post because the other ladies post was being turned into a smoking debate thread...so I try and create a thread for just this topic..now it's being turned into a spanking thread...wonder what a spanking thread would turn into? LOL

lol

Dolly<3
01-28-2004, 04:39 PM
:eek: Wow!

Everyone raises their kids differently. I think as long as everything you do for/with/around/to your kids is done out of LOVE then it's okay. Not out of anger, or b/c it's easier, or b/c you're an adult and you can do whatever you want.

I think people should do things for their kids best interest. I think it's your responsibility actually. If you have to smoke, go outside for them.

I'm sure no one here smokes around their kids b/c they think that's what's best for them.

momfromTN
01-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by silvermist
Well I don't know what spanking has to do with smoking? But as long as it's not really hard enough to make them cry alot it's ok? I guess. I believe there are other methods that are better that will make them behave. Smacking them doesn't always solve everything and will probably make them act out and hold a grudge against you.

Sorry, but spanking is different from "smacking" them. To me, smacking is when you just go at it with anger and loss of control and THAT is abuse. To spank, on the bottom, over the clothes, when you are NOT angry is discipline. Granted, some other methods of discipline will work with some kids, but the only thing that has made a real dent in my stubborn son is a spanking. That is not the only thing we use, though. I do use loss of privleges as a punishment as well, and make him sit at the table and do extra writing too, as he is getting older. My son will come up to me a little while after and tell me he is sorry and we hug and read a book or just spend time together. But, I will NOT tolerate a smart mouth and he will do what I say when I say it, not "in a minute". And I do not tolerate temper tantrums. I also do not scream and yell at my kids like some parents do. I just think there is too much coddling and reasoning and cajoling kids to mind. I think that is one of the reasons kids are so smart alec and do not respect authority. God help us when these kids become adults with no work ethic and no respect for authority. God help THEIR kids. My son is no angel and we are working hard to correct some mistakes we made as parents by letting him get away with some things when he was younger. It will turn out fine in the end with consistency with discpline and a LOT of love and understanding.

Also, my husband is the youngest of 12 kids. They were ALL spanked and NONE of them hold grudges against their parents. In fact they ADORE their parents to this day. I don't hold grudges against my parents either.

momfromTN
01-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Oh, I forgot, sorry. Smoking around your kids, is not right.

sahmsfreeb
01-28-2004, 05:17 PM
ok my 2 cents... lol
i grew up with a smoking father.. he now has asthma...
i am a reformed smoker i quit 12 years ago a 1 pack a day habit i had for 3 years. i fall off the wagon now and again during high high stress levels... only 3 cigs max a day and a pack last 2 weeks...

i know i am like an alcoholic... i am addicted...

will i smoke around my kids? no. why? well it is a dirty habit...and dangerous.. my girlfriend smokes around her kids and when she was pregnant. her youngest was born with astma.. her oldest was just diagnosed with it. she gives me clothes for my kids.. at first i tried to wash them ... but the smell never comes out.. even out of rubber or plastic... sadly i just take the clothes and lie to her.. i throw them away...

ok here is 2 more cents...

i spank. no i do not beat my kids...
my boys are brats... period... give em an inch...they take the block!!! do i spank often?? noo.. just for major insurrections.. we start off with loss of privlages and work our way to grounding etc... does spanking work? yes and no... it depends on the child and the day..
do i spank when when angry? yes... it happens!!! should i be arrested?? heck no... i want to raise responsible and productive members of society...
i will do what i have to to achieve this. we keep high standards in this family.. failure is not an option is our motto.... thank you apollo 13

do i condem anyone? no... we all make our beds and lie (or lay???) in them... i know what i do and why i do it...
no one can live in my shoes.. they wouldnt survive ... i have been in a personal hell for 5 years now... my children suck the patience out of anyone living... it is easy to say not to spank.. but then to say taht you must have really well behaved children... and you yourself must have the patience of a saint...

my opinion and keep the change! :P:D

sahmsfreeb
01-28-2004, 05:18 PM
ps you CAN flame me.. i actually enjoy constuctive critisism... i feel it makes me a better person...

momfromTN
01-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by sahmsfreeb
ok my 2 cents... lol
i grew up with a smoking father.. he now has asthma...
i am a reformed smoker i quit 12 years ago a 1 pack a day habit i had for 3 years. i fall off the wagon now and again during high high stress levels... only 3 cigs max a day and a pack last 2 weeks...

i know i am like an alcoholic... i am addicted...

will i smoke around my kids? no. why? well it is a dirty habit...and dangerous.. my girlfriend smokes around her kids and when she was pregnant. her youngest was born with astma.. her oldest was just diagnosed with it. she gives me clothes for my kids.. at first i tried to wash them ... but the smell never comes out.. even out of rubber or plastic... sadly i just take the clothes and lie to her.. i throw them away...

ok here is 2 more cents...

i spank. no i do not beat my kids...
my boys are brats... period... give em an inch...they take the block!!! do i spank often?? noo.. just for major insurrections.. we start off with loss of privlages and work our way to grounding etc... does spanking work? yes and no... it depends on the child and the day..
do i spank when when angry? yes... it happens!!! should i be arrested?? heck no... i want to raise responsible and productive members of society...
i will do what i have to to achieve this. we keep high standards in this family.. failure is not an option is our motto.... thank you apollo 13

do i condem anyone? no... we all make our beds and lie (or lay???) in them... i know what i do and why i do it...
no one can live in my shoes.. they wouldnt survive ... i have been in a personal hell for 5 years now... my children suck the patience out of anyone living... it is easy to say not to spank.. but then to say taht you must have really well behaved children... and you yourself must have the patience of a saint...

my opinion and keep the change! :P:D

I didn't mean to say that you are a child abuser. I just know my own temper, and when I begin to lose it, I walk out of the room and take a minute and then come back and deal with them. Thats just how I feel about it.

I agree with you.

sahmsfreeb
01-28-2004, 05:31 PM
sweetie i know you didnt call me an abuser..

relax.......

i do have to say there have been times when i had to leave the room... i do that and hide in the closet.... trust me it works......

if anything i abuse my liver... lol...

i abuse my hair......
'

i abuse my dh.. verbally.... all the time... poor man...

and i abuse oreos....

14 in one sitting...
:)

okie
01-28-2004, 07:14 PM
I wasn't the first to bring up spanking.Someone else brought it up by saying that should be child abuse too.

Now,i have to go spank my son because he won't stay in bed.

stresseater
01-28-2004, 08:39 PM
OK, I think I was the one who first said there was nothing wrong with smoking around your kids. I don't know about the other thread as I haven't been there again,yet. So I don't know about how the thread turned into a smoking debate. I did address the other points in the thread as well but I will now defend my position on the smoking part of it.
I type this with a normal healthy child in mind(if you kid has a medical problem that's different).
Up until about last year all of the medical community believed if you had dogs and cats in the house you would give your kid allergies or asthma. Now lo and behold they think it may actually make you kid more immune to such ailments. I smoke. I smoked during pregnancy and after as well. I had 2 large, healthy, pink children by birth(I have 3 total).None of whom have allergies,asthma or ANY other health concerns. As far as the belief that smoking causes cancer, well so does hair dye now or so they say. I personally am waiting for these nuts to discover that air causes it as well. I really am waiting for them to decide that some people are born with the propensity of developing cancer and some are not. If you have the propensity then you will get it when exposed to the right catalyst.If you don't have the genetics for cancer then it won't affect you during your life.It just might explain the thousands who smoke, drink, eat red m&m dye....all of there life without any reprocutions. My point during the last thread was that those were not child abuse allegations as much as they were differing positions as to how to raise a child.

ebgreen74
01-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Just wanted to say that it makes me sick that so many people that eat healthy, don't smoke or drink, take their vitamins and do everything right can end up with unhealthy babies or miscarry and then someone who KNOWS that smoking is bad yet refuses to quit during pregnancy gives birth to a perfectly healthy baby. I'm happy you got lucky and happy the babies turned out fine but life just isn't fair(yes my mother told me that as a kid after I got spanked too). I just don't think its right to purposely endanger the life of your child/children.

stresseater
01-28-2004, 09:50 PM
My point exactly. Many people do it and .....nothing and many don't and have problems with their kids. Sounds more like a genetic thing than an environmental thing.....:)

ckerr4
01-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Somehow, I don't think that was the point ebgreen was making (that is to say, the two of you are not making the same point, and I think you know it).

Whitequeen39
01-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ebgreen74
Just wanted to say that it makes me sick that so many people that eat healthy, don't smoke or drink, take their vitamins and do everything right can end up with unhealthy babies or miscarry and then someone who KNOWS that smoking is bad yet refuses to quit during pregnancy gives birth to a perfectly healthy baby. I'm happy you got lucky and happy the babies turned out fine but life just isn't fair(yes my mother told me that as a kid after I got spanked too). I just don't think its right to purposely endanger the life of your child/children.

I have been a Mom who lost 4 babies and did all the right things and had people I knew who drank smoked cigs and pot and had their babies...it definately is not fair. Thing is, is your child's life and health really worth taking a chance on? As the Mom of 5 sons I say NO WAY. I also would not want to pass on the legacy of smoking to my kids...most kids of parents who smoke end up addicted as well. Plus I would never be that careless with their health, it's your own business if you want to ruin your own but have the decency to care enough to make sacrifices for your kid's sake.
Also to those that are so smug as to say that they and everyone around them is healthy, well give it time, if you work long enough at it your chances of cancer and other respiritory diseases are waiting down the road. It's true that many people are health nuts and still get cancer, well why up the odds even more?? I just don't get it. Maybe you have never had to watch a loved one struggle and die of cancer because it is an awful thing...I have been unfortunate enough to witness over and over and yeah, ALL had been smokers who said they were fine for most of their life and smoking wasn't hurting them and ya know what, on their death bed they said don't do what I did...it is not worth it. I can never get out of my head the desperate gasping for each breath. Sorry to be so graphic here, I guess there are some things that just really upset me and this is one of them. You can flame me, call me opinionated, whatever, it's how I feel and that will never change.

Dolly<3
01-28-2004, 11:28 PM
OMG! http://www.ipgn.com.au/forum/images/smilies/argh.gif

I'd be devestated if I knew my mother did something knowingly while pregnant that could kill me, deform me, make me have illnesses, or make my life shorter.

I just can't believe it. :(

reneep45
01-29-2004, 03:14 AM

I SPANK !!! Sorry if ya don't like it but all i see is rotton little brats from the time - out kids !!!!!!!!!! some kids , like one of my grandaughtrs is ok for time out , depends on the kid ,, spanking is NOT ABUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also ,,, i smoke cigarettes , i don't smoke around my grandkids , i go outside,, but i DID smoke when i was pregnant & in same room when my kids were there, no body ever said not to back then & all my kids are very healthy , no breathing problems

zitra
01-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by ebgreen74

Couldn't agree more

lassss
01-29-2004, 08:37 AM
My mother smoked around us back in the 60's and 70's before anyone knew about second hand smoke. She now has pulmonary something or another along with asmtha and has to use inhalers everyday. My sisters nor I ever picked up the habit of smoking and anyone who visits me is respectful of that and smokes outside. My son has come home from his dad's a few times smelling like a cigarette and I told his father not to smoke around him. He has obliged for the most part and does go outside. But I have noticed over the past few years that when I get up in the morning I hack like I have smoked all my life and I am sure it is due to second hand smoking. This was a good topic and hopefully it might open some eyes that second hand smoke is harmful

nightowl2
01-29-2004, 08:41 AM
both of my parents smoked around us when we were little
but thank God none of us has any long term effect from it

okie
01-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by reneep45
I SPANK !!! Sorry if ya don't like it but all i see is rotton little brats from the time - out kids !!!!!!!!!! some kids , like one of my grandaughtrs is ok for time out , depends on the kid ,, spanking is NOT ABUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also ,,, i smoke cigarettes , i don't smoke around my grandkids , i go outside,, but i DID smoke when i was pregnant & in same room when my kids were there, no body ever said not to back then & all my kids are very healthy , no breathing problems

Reread my post.I never said it was wrong to spank.I agree with you.I don't want my son turning out like these kids today.If more parents disiplined their kids when they were younger we wouldn't be having all these problems today.

okie
01-29-2004, 09:33 AM
I remember hearing a few years back on the news that milk was bad for you and then they changed their minds and said it was okay to
drink milk.Air pollution can also cause cancer.

Whitequeen39
01-29-2004, 10:01 AM
I remember hearing a few years back on the news that milk was bad for you and then they changed their minds and said it was okay to
drink milk.Air pollution can also cause cancer.

It's true that as far as food goes they keep changing things that is why I think it is dumb to knock out food groups etc. A good basic diet with all the food groups in moderation is probably the best instead of going with the fad of the moment.
As far as air pollution that is not in our control really but what we inhale into our lungs and expose those around us to IS in our control....GEEZZZZZ. My husband started smoking again and I HATE IT...He does NOT smoke in the house or around our kids but he REEKS of smoke when he gets home and it makes me want to PUKE. I make him change clothes etc cause it is sickening and it also makes me mad all the money (which we cannot really afford) being wasted on @#$% death sticks.

Willow
01-29-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't think smokers realize how bad they smell or they probably wouldn't smoke. lol

Kyla Kym
01-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Chrissy13
No one said it was OK to smoke around your children and if your talking about my post. Where I said that my whole family along with DH's family smokes.

Well you did say it was OK to smoke around children in your post before you edited your post yesterday evening. You changed your post around 5 central time yesterday.

But I wasn't centering you out if that was what you are thinking. There are several that said the same thing you did. You were just the last one.

But the way you worded it now does sound some what better, and more informative. But I still disagree that it's ok to smoke around children.

ckerr4
01-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Smoking while pregnant: http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=329

Smoking while breastfeeding: http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/smokeless.htm

Smoking around children - good info from Michigan: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/smokingaroundkids_9306_7.pdf

From this site http://www.healthpromotionagency.org.uk/work/Publicrelations/PressReleases/airsmoking.htm :

Dr Brian Gaffney, Chief Executive of the Health Promotion Agency, explains why children are so vulnerable:
“Unlike adults, who can choose whether or not to be in a smoky environment, children have no choice. Parents who smoke may not be aware that children are particularly susceptible to the effects of passive smoking and are more likely to develop serious respiratory and ear infections as a result.

“In addition, children of smokers are more likely to take up the habit themselves because they copy the behaviour of adults and will perceive smoking as the norm if they grow up in a household where adults smoke.”

http://www.alamn.org/smoke/NoSmokingAroundKids.asp

An article entitled No Smoking around Children, by Ohio Judge William F. Chinnock, has just been published in the University of Arizona Law Review (Vol. 45, No. 3, Nov. 2003). It's subtitle is The Family Courts' Mandatory Duty to Restrain Parents and Other Persons from Smoking around Children.

Its major points:
1. The evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable. Smoking tobacco causes and aggravates serious diseases in smokers, and quite often, leads to death. Smoking kills almost three times as many smokers each week in the United States as were killed in the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

2. Secondhand smoke causes and aggravates serious diseases in non-smoking adults and children. Every three weeks secondhand cigarette smoke kills about the same number of non-smokers in the United States as were killed in the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

3. Children are especially susceptible to diseases caused by secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is a real and substantial danger to the health of children.

4. Children comprise the most abused segment of society in the world. Fortunately, the children of America are protected by our unrivaled, centuries-old system of juvenile justice.

5. The clear and convincing evidence of manifold harm from secondhand smoke to children is consistent, robust, and irrefutable. This evidence gives rise to a duty upon family courts, the legislature, and administrative agencies to take action to reduce children's compelled exposure to tobacco smoke.

6. Existing American law requires a family court, on its own initiative and regardless of the health of the child, to consider the danger of secondhand smoke to children as a significant, and possibly determinative (where child has health problems), factor in determining issues of visitation and custody. Family courts have a further duty to protect all children under their care by issuing court orders restraining anyone from smoking in their presence as a matter of standard practice.

nightowl2
01-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Patchouli
I don't think smokers realize how bad they smell or they probably wouldn't smoke. lol

You are correct.when i had Pnemonia a couple of years ago
i went 2 weeks without smoking and my brother came over
and he smelled of smoke and i coulden't stand the smell!
it was aweful!!

Kyla Kym
01-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ckerr4
Smoking while pregnant: http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=329

Smoking while breastfeeding: http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/smokeless.htm

Smoking around children - good info from Michigan: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/smokingaroundkids_9306_7.pdf

From this site http://www.healthpromotionagency.org.uk/work/Publicrelations/PressReleases/airsmoking.htm :

Dr Brian Gaffney, Chief Executive of the Health Promotion Agency, explains why children are so vulnerable:
“Unlike adults, who can choose whether or not to be in a smoky environment, children have no choice. Parents who smoke may not be aware that children are particularly susceptible to the effects of passive smoking and are more likely to develop serious respiratory and ear infections as a result.

“In addition, children of smokers are more likely to take up the habit themselves because they copy the behaviour of adults and will perceive smoking as the norm if they grow up in a household where adults smoke.”

http://www.alamn.org/smoke/NoSmokingAroundKids.asp

An article entitled No Smoking around Children, by Ohio Judge William F. Chinnock, has just been published in the University of Arizona Law Review (Vol. 45, No. 3, Nov. 2003). It's subtitle is The Family Courts' Mandatory Duty to Restrain Parents and Other Persons from Smoking around Children.

Its major points:
1. The evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable. Smoking tobacco causes and aggravates serious diseases in smokers, and quite often, leads to death. Smoking kills almost three times as many smokers each week in the United States as were killed in the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

2. Secondhand smoke causes and aggravates serious diseases in non-smoking adults and children. Every three weeks secondhand cigarette smoke kills about the same number of non-smokers in the United States as were killed in the September 11th terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

3. Children are especially susceptible to diseases caused by secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is a real and substantial danger to the health of children.

4. Children comprise the most abused segment of society in the world. Fortunately, the children of America are protected by our unrivaled, centuries-old system of juvenile justice.

5. The clear and convincing evidence of manifold harm from secondhand smoke to children is consistent, robust, and irrefutable. This evidence gives rise to a duty upon family courts, the legislature, and administrative agencies to take action to reduce children's compelled exposure to tobacco smoke.

6. Existing American law requires a family court, on its own initiative and regardless of the health of the child, to consider the danger of secondhand smoke to children as a significant, and possibly determinative (where child has health problems), factor in determining issues of visitation and custody. Family courts have a further duty to protect all children under their care by issuing court orders restraining anyone from smoking in their presence as a matter of standard practice.

Thanks ckerr4! That is some great information! I hope everyone will read what you posted. :)

zitra
01-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Pepsi4me

I dont like when people say this.
I grew up w/my whole family smoking & I have never had the desire to smoke. My 2 nephews dont either. I think it's a matter of if the individual wants to smoke and not if family members smoke. JMO.

I agree, both my father, and brother smoked the entire time I lived wiht them, and I never smoked once, never even had the desire too.

Kyla Kym
01-29-2004, 05:45 PM
There are always exceptions.

I think they base the statistics on a whole and not on each individual case. I'm sure there are exceptions to every statics they do. I was raised up in a smoking household and started myself at 14. My parents were both raised up in smoking households and it's very upsetting when they defend my son when I caught him dipping. They say well you started at 14. I don't understand why they would want to defend him. That just encourages him to keep on with the nasty, expensive, life threating habit. I wish he was like you pepsi4me & zitra.....but I'm afraid he is going to be one more added to the statistics like I was. Maybe if his dad & I would have learned earlier and tried harder then, maybe my son might have seen the dangers...but instead he grew up in a house where everyone even his grandparents smoked like they were eating life giving sticks.