PDA

View Full Version : my water pipes are frozen

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-28-2004, 07:23 AM
At least our water softener water works from the sink,so we have drinking water,but every thing else is frozen.

Quaker_Parrots
01-28-2004, 07:32 AM
You didn't have heat tape on the pipes? Hope they thaw out for you soon.

JWWB2000
01-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Now that is a big bummer. Hope they are fixed soon and nothing breaks!!

Hillbilly
01-28-2004, 07:33 AM
We had ours to freeze several years ago.Hubby bought some heat tape to put on them and it kept them from freezing again.Another tip is to leave your water dripping a little bit when it gets that cold.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-28-2004, 07:38 AM
YEPPERS,WE HAVE HEAT TAPE ON THEM...I GUESS THE BELOW ZERO TEMPS FOR SO LONG GOT THE BEST OF THEM.I HAVE HEATER ON IN THE BASEMENT WHERE THE PIPES COME IN AND THE UNDER SINK CABINETS OPEN...WHEN AND IF THEY THAW I'LL LET THEM DRIP TONIGHT.

Danny
01-28-2004, 10:12 AM
I hope they don't end up splitting on you!

nanajoanie
01-28-2004, 10:24 AM
A few years ago our pipes froze going to the bathroom in the back of the house. We turned on a portable heater and shut the bathroom door. Hubby also went out side with my hair dryer and blew it on the pipes for quite awhile. But it all worked. Now I drizzle all the faucets whenever the temp gets to 20 or below. I even turn the ceiling fans on and open the cupboard doors where the pipes are. And I always fill the tub with water in case power goes out for flushing. Also I keep several gal. jugs of bottled water on hand. Sorry, didn't mean to write a book. Good luck with your pipes.

tsquared
01-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Hope they come unthawed soon without breaking.....

ImaGApeach
01-28-2004, 11:05 AM
I hope they unfreeze soon-Good luck Sheila!

ShelleyG
01-28-2004, 11:10 AM
so far ours are ok but man do we have snow LOL my van is seriously burried LOLOLOLOL

CarolinaBlue
01-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Just the pipe to our kitchen froze one time. We were in a bi-level home, so I was able to go downstairs, remove a ceiling panel in the family room and thaw out the pipe with a blow dryer.

Good luck!

cch
01-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Ours were frozen this morning, but it wasn't our fault! We have a shared well, and the people that live where the well is didn't turn the heater up enough in the well-house to keep the pipes thawed. We leave the cold water in our bathroom sink run (just a trickle) all night and that keeps the pipes from freezing under our house.

MistyWolf
01-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Hope your pipes thaw quick and with no problems.

We haven't had any problems yet with pipes. My hubby gets up around 1:30 AM for work so his shower water runs through the pipes and when it is really cold, I set the dishwasher to go off in the middle of the night (4-5AM) so there is more water flowing through.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-28-2004, 02:21 PM
OK,don't laugh at me, after all afternoon of waiting,my son flips the breaker..wala,water was on....I'M SUCH A TARD :)

NINK
01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
hmmm, no frozen pipes just a flipped breaker huh? yeah that happened to me when we first moved in to this house, i went to turn ont he sink and no water, actualy i hadn't moved in yet, me and my grandma and grandpa were here cleaning it so we could move in, so grandpa went in to the basement and figured out what was wrong.

Kyla Kym
01-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cch
Ours were frozen this morning, but it wasn't our fault! We have a shared well, and the people that live where the well is didn't turn the heater up enough in the well-house to keep the pipes thawed. We leave the cold water in our bathroom sink run (just a trickle) all night and that keeps the pipes from freezing under our house.

Our well pump use to freeze up all the time. I finally got tired of it and took that pipe wrapping stuff and put it on everything I seen coming out of the well pump even the gages, points box & spigots. I made sure and cut that foam to fit on every square inch of it. I took and even dug up around the pipe that leads into the ground and did it there. Then I took and put black electrically tape around all the sponge stuff. Then I took this huge deal of bubble wrap I had and covered the whole pump up with it. Then over all that I put a tarp and tied it down. Mine has never froze up again in over 10 years since I did that.

fluffone
01-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Make sure you turn on the hot and cold water faucets in the bathroom and the kitchen sink. When the pipes finally defrost the water has a place to go and this should help the pipes from breaking. Open up the cabinet doors where the pipes are and run a portable space heater until the pipes defrost. When the temperatures drop below freezing try running space heater at night where the pipes are located this should prevent freezing. It may cost more on the electric bill but my water pipes have not frozen with the cold.

stresseater
01-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Our pipes freeze everytime it gets below 15 degrees. It bites.
Make sure you turn on the hot and cold water faucets in the bathroom and the kitchen sink.
I wouldn't force the knob however. If you do you will be replacing the seats in the handels as it will tear the rubber o-ring or break off the stobs.If that happens you can't turn off the water without turning off the supply line.:eek: :eek: :eek:Just FYI BTDT :D