PDA

View Full Version : I Love my job part 2....

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM
I had to call off work for the past 2 days. Yesterday I was snowed in, today I tried to get off the hill (which was a solid glare of ice), needless to say I went down the hill sideways (NOT a fun thing!). When I got to the bottom I calmly lit up a ciggy, smoked the whole thing to calm down, then I turned around and went back up the hill, almost going over the side 2 times (which is only a 75 ft drop off). I decided with it being this bad at 1:00 pm can you imagine what it would be like when I got home at MIDNIGHT?!?! Well when I called work and explained things to them they first wanted to know when the time would be made up. No biggie. THEN they informed me that I am going to be written up for missing work. WTF???? HELLO!!! The way I see it, if they want to come to my backk door and get me and bring me home fine and dandy I will be at work. But I am NOT putting my life at risk. Is it just me or are these people idiots? Last winter when we were under a state of emergency because of snow and ice my work was still open.

schsa
01-27-2004, 02:44 PM
You have to take care of yourself first. If they have so little feeling about their employees (and I have seen it first hand when there was a hurricane coming our way and the substitute manager was sitting in her hotel room across the street and wouldn't even leave to put a note on the door to say we were going to close. I finally got her at her hotel room, she had been out having a leisurely breakfast and didn't understand why we were at the office. Don't even think that I had any respect for her or the company after all. I closed the office.)

Screw the company. You have your own safety to think about and if they write you up, write on the area where you can respond that you took your life into your hands and you would rather be alive and not dead trying to satisfy their petty game. Ok, so I am ticked off, but you should never endanger your life because they think you should.

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks Schsa!!!

ezmoney163
01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes hon some employers are idiots!!! Some only think of themselves and their business, I want to let you know you are doing the right thing by thinking of your life first! Take care of #1. ((((HUGZ)))))

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-27-2004, 03:23 PM
I forgot to mention that last week I tried to talk to HR about working an alternative schedule so that my hours would be covered in case of bad weather. The response? "No we will give you an alternative schedule." Now the problem I have is they are gave out alternative schedules to alot of people because their center was shut down. But for some reason the only ones getting preferential treatment is the ones that had to transfer to my center. It's not like I am asking for preferential treatment, though. Maybe I'm just being a b*tch but for the past 6 months I have been doing the job of 2 people without any help. I am lucky if I only work 40 hours a week. Normally its 50 - 60 hours. I say again....IDIOTS!!!!

Angelseyes28
01-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Tell them to either come pick you up in a salt/sand truck or leave you alone:p

chanbe
01-27-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm in the same situation.Took off the last 2 days due to weather and my job has a policy where they will NOT give you unpaid time off.It's always paid and if you don't have the time built up(vacation),you end up with a negative balance on paid time off and you get wrote up.Well,guess what-negative balance here.But my safety and my child's(I would've had to drive her to daycare)safety comes first.When all the schools are closed for miles around due to ice-I'm not going either.So you're not alone.

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-27-2004, 06:03 PM
They just implemented a new attendance policy that if you miss 2 or more days in 2 weeks without a doctor's note then you get wrote up. I swear these people are IDIOTS!!!

LunaChick
01-27-2004, 07:19 PM
I work at a hospital in a clinical lab. It's open 24/7 and must have someone there at all times. Take right now for instance. It's an ice storm out there and now its begun to snow like there is no tomorrow. I take PT into work. I sit out there in the freezing cold waiting on my trolley. Nothing. Still waiting....nothing. Now I'm like WTF. Mind you, that is the first part I take. I take an elevated train after the trolley. I live about an hour away from the hospital. The EL trains don't usually run in the ice so if I ever did make it to the main terminal, there is no guarantee the trains would be running. Anyway, I finally decided to come home. I called my boss and he's like *Well can't you drive in?* LOL I'm like dude, look, if I did drive, I still wouldn't be in. Geez, like I'm gonna drive in the snow/ice storm. :rolleyes: I made it in there the last 2 days during this crap and I really don't feel bad not making it in tonight. :p

So the moral of this post? Don't risk your life for a job! All they care about is getting the work done, NOT the people who work there. Arrggg

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-27-2004, 07:26 PM
But their idea is....look at all the calls that are not being made. Well....HELLO?!?! I think everyone would like to enjoy dinner one night without having telemarketers calling them, right? I am doing my service to everyone in Amerca by staying home tonight!

LunaChick
01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
LOL There ya go!! :D

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Update....still snow & iced in. So I called work today. They politely informed me that I will be wrote up for attendance. So I took everyone's advice and calmly said...."I will be more than willing to come in today, if YOU come and get me. If YOU can get up and down this hill safely (when I am having this much trouble with a 4-wheel drive). Needless to say when I go in, I get to have a not so friendly chit chat with HR regarding insubordination. Whatever!!!

cole70
01-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Sorry you are being treated this way. Sounds like my old employer. They once sent a memo to everyone stating that they would NEVER close due to weather and that we MUST show up or get docked and written up. They even said that employees need to look into buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle!!!!!!!! Yeah, I am gonna buy a new 4 wheel drive vehicle just so I can get to work at that hell hole! (I quit soon after that memo!)

HUGS

Cole

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Well, I actually made it to work today. When I had my little pow-wow with HR I calmly informed him I wanted to talk to CEO. 20 minutes later we have the CEO on line via teleconference, I found out some VERY interesting 4-11. It turns out that the "New Attendance Policy" was NOT approved by the CEO, therefore I could NOT be wrote up because of the weather. Whoo-hoo!!! On the upside, I found out that this weekend "Shoe Carnival" is giving my company a 30% discount store wide!!! Great because I have been putting off getting new shoes for about 9 - 10 months now!!! As much as I love to blow $$$, I hate to blow it on shoes!!!

andreame70
01-30-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by JENNIFERCATLADY
20 minutes later we have the CEO on line via teleconference, I found out some VERY interesting 4-11. It turns out that the "New Attendance Policy" was NOT approved by the CEO, therefore I could NOT be wrote up because of the weather. Whoo-hoo!!!

Good for you! Don't you just love it when the "higher up's" get put in their place right in front of you? Now maybe the HR person will be written up for threatening and lying to you about this so called "new policy."

Andrea

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-30-2004, 07:34 AM
I can only hope Andrea!!!