PDA

View Full Version : Who has a child with a learning disability?

cleaningla
01-26-2004, 01:06 PM
I have an 18 year old son and I knew almost from the day that he was born that something wasn't right. When I would say something to his doctor, he would reply along the lines of "boys will be boys" or "all children develope differently". Sorta made me feal like I was over reacting or imagining things. So I eventually quit asking.

Over the years I've been told he had ADHD or autism and I would look at the websites and think, that's not it, but nobody would listen because I don't hae some kind of degree.

Just a couple days ago I stumbled on a website for fragile x syndrome and when I read the characteristics for it, it was as if someone had been looking in my window all these years and was writing a description of my son.

Now that I know what is I have access to all kinds of information Message boards, newsletters and maybe even a support group eventually.

I know other people on this board have children with some kind of developemental disability or metal impairment and was just wondering if doctors gave you the same answers or how long did it take to get a diagnosis and have they ever been wrong. Stuff like that.

gothgirl
01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
I have an 11 year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. He has been in therapy and counseling with therapists and phychiatrists ever since. He had to have speech therapy when he was just 2 years old and has had behavioral and acedemic problems pretty much ever since. He finally was placed in special education classes where he could have more one on one assistance. He does not make friends and pretty much stays in his own little world not letting anyone in. He has a bad temper and disruptive behavior at times. He is mean to his 5 year old sister and hits her all the time. He has manic periods and then sometimes he acts down but he does not have bi polar disorder for that was one of the conditions he was looked at for. His current case worker/therapist seems to think his condition is more like that of Asperger's Syndrome, a form of mild autism. I have talked to many phychiatrists about this and they keep dismissing the idea calling the condition rare. It might be rare but not impossible. I think I am finally making a little headway though since I got the case manager involved and she heard the phychiatrist finally admit to noticing some Asperger's tendancies. I want the right treatment for my child and it is so frustrating when you have other people who do not live with your child and have to deal with something such as this on an everyday basis tell you that they have a 1 percent chance of having it. It is aggrevating to be dismissed like that. I know how you feel cleaningla. Just hang in there hon. Sending you and your child hugs.

cleaningla
01-26-2004, 02:41 PM
You might want to check out this sight. Aspergers is what they told me my son had. They both include a sensativity to light, touch and sound. They say that fragile x is the most common form of hereditary form of mental impairment and also one of the most commonly misdiagnosed, often mistaken for autism.

I'e been reading two whole days. :) The best part is there is a blood test, kind of expensive though.

You might want to look at the sight and see what you think.

http://www.fragilex.org/