PDA

View Full Version : What A Way To Die ,condolences To This Family

msmom79
01-23-2004, 08:12 AM
LAST WEEK IN MY AREA THE COPS WERE CHASING A STOLEN CAR,THE YOUNG TEENAGERS GOT OUT AND TOOK OFF RUNNING INTO THE WOODS VERY COLD HERE LAST WEEK END,POLICE SAY DRUGS WERE INVOLVED ALSO.FRONT PAGE NEWS THIS WEEK,SHOWS A PICTURE OF THE GIRL LYING ON THE GROUND FROZEN TO DEATH.WHY WOULD A NEWSPAPER PUT THIS GIRLS BODY ON THE FRONT PAGE? I KNOW THE GIRL AND BOY DID WRONG...... BUT THIS HAS TO BE DESTROYING THE FAMILY.... IF THIS IS HOW KIDS THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH THINGS,IT LOOKS LIKE GOD INTERVENED IN THIS ONE........(THIS IS ON THE FRONT PAGE) EVERYONE SEE'S THIS FIRST THING!!SO SAD

YankeeMary
01-23-2004, 08:15 AM
I agree completely what did putting their picture in the paper gain? How horrible to die that way then how horrible to be explioted that way. The press sure had no morals or values let alone sympathies for the families.

ezmoney163
01-23-2004, 08:16 AM
how sad!!! Could you imagine the families shock when they open up the paper. Some media takes things a bit to far for me!!! I am sorry you had to view this also. ((HUGZ))

twinkiesmom
01-23-2004, 08:22 AM
craziness.

cpbaby
01-23-2004, 08:23 AM
I see a lawsuit. And I cant blame anyone for suing. That is AWFUL!

The paper here got sued for printing a picture of a car involved in a deadly wreck. At first glance, it was just a wrecked car, but if you looked closely, you could see the dead drivers arm. The paper lost that lawsuit.

AngelGrim
01-23-2004, 08:38 AM
OH man that is sad. Sorry but I don't think any photos like those should be put in any paper, it is gruesome and any paper that puts them in out to be punished.

nanajoanie
01-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I feel so bad for the families with their loss. Sometimes the newspapers get so sensational just to sell newspapers, they loose site of the harm they are doing. I'm sure some of the photographers are hoping for bigtime recognition but the paper should print them - PERIOD!!!

Dolly<3
01-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Does your paper usually have pictures like that?? I wonder what they were thinking. I certainly agree that the parents of the girl could and should sue.

schsa
01-23-2004, 11:03 AM
The newspaper should be sued unless they had the parents permission. this is nothing but sensationalism. I feel sorry for the family.

bpl76
01-23-2004, 12:28 PM
This happened in an IL newspaper a few years back only it was a picture of a wreck involving Cub Scouts. The photo showed their poor little bodies. I was so infuriated I wrote the paper a rather nasty letter. Surprisingly they published it and also apologized to all involved. I hate this type of sensationalism.

msmom79
01-23-2004, 01:42 PM
BUT IN A SMALL TOWN LIKE MINE MOST PEOPLE KNOW EVERYONE .SO YOU ALL KNOW YOU CAN NOT SEE HER FACE ,JUST HER BODY AND THE TOP OF HER HEAD.I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THAT I JUST THINK THIS IS TOTALLY SICK,WHERE HAS THE RESPECT FOR PEOPLE GONE TOO ? I ALSO HOPE THIS FAMILY SURES. JMO

cch
01-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Body found along Brush Creek
The lifeless body of a young woman was discovered near Brush Creek Tuesday. Though authorities immediately were able to identify the woman's body at the scene, they have withheld her name from the public until her next of kin is notified of the death.
The woman-white and in her early 20s-is believed to be the suspect involved in a police chase on Four Mile Road last Saturday night. She was reportedly driving a stolen car from Fairgrounds Motors at the time of the chase, lost control and drove off the roadway, then fled from deputies into the woods. A search ensued, but she could not be located.
Coroner Paul Hutson, who was on the scene Tuesday to examine the body and pronounce death, did not comment and hasn't yet ruled the cause of death. Having only minor visible scratches on her body-likely from running through the brush during her escape-police indicate she was a victim of exposure to the elements in the frigid temperatures of the last few nights.
The body was found by a local resident Tuesday on Four Mile Road, not far from the scene of Saturday night's accident. She was found lying face up, about 75 feet from the roadway, beside the rushing creek. She was not wearing clothes appropriate for winter weather, and had no shoes or socks on her feet. Deputies say she had not been reported missing.

:rolleyes: There's also a "Death Notice" for a 26 year old girl in the same paper... Jamie L. Dennis, beloved mother of Blake and Brittany Raybrook, dear daughter of JoAnn Dennis and fiancé Dennis Milligan, and Jerry Dennis, dear sister of Jennifer Dennis, granddaughter of Helen Reiner, dear niece, relative and friend. Jamie was born October 26, 1977 and passed away January 20, 2004 at the age of 26 years, 2 months and 24 days. Visitation is Saturday, January 24, 2004 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Britton Funeral Home, Cuba, Mo. Funeral services are Saturday, January 24, 2004 at 2 p.m. at the Britton Chapel. Interment Lea Cemetery. Memorials to Jamie Dennis Fund, Cuba Banking Center.

msmom79
01-23-2004, 04:17 PM
THIS YOUNG LADY WHO PASSED AWAY HAD WITHIN THE LAST 3 YEARS LOST 2 CHILDREN IN A HOUSE FIRE. THE GRANDMOTHER WHO IS MENTIONED IN YOUR REPLY HAD TRYED TO RESCUE THESE GRANDBABIES FROM THE FIRE,AND WAS HOSPITALIZED FOR A YEAR AND A HALF FOR HER SERIUOS BURNS,HER BOY FRIEND HAD JUST WORKED ON MY CAR FOR ME A FEW WEEKS AGO.GOSH HOW MUCH CAN ONE FAMILY GO THROUGH? AND THEN THE NEWSPAPER DOES SOMETHING AS CRUEL AS PUTTING HER DAUGHTER ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!!!!! COME ON.BOY I HOPE THIS MOM AND GRANDMOTHER SUES THIS PAPERS _SS OFF . AT LEAST THE TWINS THAT THIS YOUNG MOTHER LEFT BEHIND,WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF. JMO

KATinKY
01-23-2004, 10:44 PM
that is so sad

karefree
01-24-2004, 04:37 AM
How terrible for the family left behind. Young children losing their mother is always a sad situation. I hope the grandmother and great-grandmother (she is a hero) have the strength to raise these babies.

Msmom79, I hope this doesn't sound grusome but how far was the girl from help? Was there anyplace near that she could have gotten to in order to get out of the weather? What about the other teenagers? Did they find them? Do they know who they are and are they alright?

msmom79
01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
or else in my town you would have heard about it by now.brush creek is a pretty long creek and it is out in the middle of nowhere land,it is very dark no lights.im sure jamie just got lost,she was found with no shoes ,socks or a coat to keep her warm.if i get any more info i will inform you all. LORD GIVE A BIG BLESSING TO THE DENNIS FAMILY:)

cch
01-24-2004, 04:52 PM
From what I understand her boyfriend stole the car and then when they got caught, left her behind in the woods to save his own a$$. They know who he is and where to find him, so if he's not in jail yet, he will be soon. I've also heard that he'd beaten her before and probably contributed to her death, but I don't know!

faygokraze
01-24-2004, 07:41 PM
I hope this paper gets sued big big big time. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Things like this should not be on the front page of any paper. A paper is for reading not staring and god awful pictures!!! MY CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO THE ENTIRE FAMILY!!

msmom79
01-24-2004, 11:11 PM
I WILL PASS THIS BOARD ALONG TO JOANNE &DENNIS SO THEY CAN READ YOUR COMMENTS AND SO THEY KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE BEHIND THEM,AND THAT WHAT THE PAPER DID WAS SOOOO WRONG.WE CANT BE PERFECT ALL THE TIME,BUT AS HUMANS WE CAN BE MORE CARING FOR EACH OTHER.THANK YOU BIG BIG FAMILY FOR BEING SO GREAT!!ANN

cch
01-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Death was from exposure
Coroner Paul Hutson said this week there were no signs of foul play in the death of a Cuba woman, whose body was found near Brush Creek along Four Mile Road.
The body of Jamie Dennis, 26, was found last Tuesday morning and immediately reported to police. Though toxicology reports likely will not be announced for several weeks, authorities believe she fell victim to cold weather exposure and hypothermia.
"There were no signs of bodily injury that would indicate anything [other than hypothermia]," Hutson reported.

cch
01-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Jamie's story
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
My friend, Jamie Dennis, was found dead last week. A victim of her lifestyle, surely; but also a victim of stupidity, most definitely.
I had known Jamie for about five years now. Our mutual friend Brandy had introduced us at my work one night. I met a beautiful, full of life, promising young lady with two beautiful boys, which I met later on. That all changed soon after she moved to Crawford County.
Jamie was no angel by any means, and soon had lost sight of what was important in her life simply by the choices she made. Anything that would take her out of the pains of reality she would put into her body. I knew this because she would tell me, as we became good friends. Her father wasn't around and her mother was dealing with her own problems in life, so Jamie turned to the new found friend in her early teenage years, drugs.
Tragedy struck Jamie's young life four years ago when she lost her two boys in a fire and nearly lost her mom too. She vowed to straighten her life up after that, only to come to the boys, memorial service strung out on meth. She told me after the service that a "friend" had hooked her up just a few hours prior, so that she could cope with the day. There was no doubt in my mind and hers that she was an addict. Jamie moved from the area, serving some time in and out of jail and rehab centers, still vowing to me that she would turn her life around.
Over the past couple of years we've kept in touch and she's shared pictures and stories of her two new twins that are two years old now.
Recently Jamie had moved back to this area. Once again, I saw her on a downward spiral out of control. I urged her again to get off the "stuff" that she was still obviously very addicted to. Long story short! My friend Jamie is gone.
She's dead! For all you dirt bags that claim to be her friend, yet supplied her with the means to get "cranked up" and ultimately led to her premature death, she's not coming back! Maybe this is a wake-up call for you. Her death should be a wake-up call for all of us!
I have many friends, some of which shared the same habits as Jamie had. I urge you guys to quit stumbling through life unconsciously day by day and get a grip on reality. If you need help, get it. I also urge the "citizens" of this drug infested area to take a stand. If you see something "not quite right" then do something about it. If you feel you can't then tell someone who will. Let's not let my friend Jamie's death be in vain.
P.S. Here's Mr. Carr's late Christmas present on his petty attempt to be humorous about "recreational drugs." I would best define recreational drugs as: any substance put into your body by means as to slip away from reality for a short period of time, not allowing it to affect your everyday professional lives. Kinda' like social drinking. You've all heard of that I hope?! Nevertheless drugs are drugs and booze is booze. We've all heard what they could do. Now we know first hand what they can and did do to one of our own.
One more thing if I may. I was honored to be one of the six gentlemen to help lay Jamie's body to its final resting place. But a few things bothered me. One was the fact that I didn't see any of her so-called friends there, to pay their respects. The other was the fact that the father of the twins wasn't allowed, for whatever reasons. The family may try to blame him, but they don't need to look any further than their own bathroom mirror. We all failed Jamie. No one and everyone is to blame. Life's lessons learned! Welcome back home Jamie. This is Jamie Dennis' story. Read it, embrace it, learn from it, and don't forget it.
Respectfully,
John Ransom
Cuba

cch
01-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Crossed the line
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
There have been many times over the years that I have disagreed with an article or photo that your paper has seen fit to put into print, but I also believe in freedom of the press. Therefore, I have never felt compelled to voice my opinions in your editorial forum.
On the other hand though, I feel there are certain lines that should not be crossed in the name of freedom.
The photo your paper so irresponsibly decided to print last week, of the young woman lying dead in a creek, in my opinion, crossed that line in more ways than one.
The most disturbing of those reasons being the complete lack of compassion for this woman's family. As if tragically losing a loved one wasn't enough for this family to deal with, your publication cold heartedly made sure that not only her grief stricken family, but the whole county, could see the sad and lonely way she died.
Another reason I feel this photo was extremely inappropriate is because this newspaper is not only read by adults, but it is also read by elementary students in their classrooms at Cuba Elementary School. Promoting reading and studying current events by exposing them to different forms of media is a wonderful thing. That is until our children are allowed to view a picture of a dead woman, and in my son's case, a woman he knew personally. Your paper just took away my paternal right to decide whether my nine-year-old child was emotionally mature enough to view something of this nature.
Regardless of the way this young woman lived her life or her actions leading up to her death, she was a human none the less. She was a mother, a daughter, a sister, not a trophy buck on your sports page.
I truly feel that you, Mr. Viehman, and your whole staff owe this family in mourning and the whole community a sincere and heartfelt apology.
Thank you,
Jodi Bridgeman
Cuba

cch
01-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Very poor taste
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
I feel your front page picture of a "Body found along Brush Creek" with a bunch of gawking men standing around was in very poor taste. What if she had been your daughter?
Odd that this picture was placed right below the article "Judges order pay increases" for entire sheriff's department.
Maybe an increase in education would be better than an increase in pay since this picture shows one of the most contaminated (possible crime) scenes imaginable.
Linda Woods
Cuba

Sensationalism
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
I am an infrequent reader of your paper as I live in St. James. However, this week I was quite disturbed by the picture on the front page accompanying the article on the young lady found earlier this week.
I appreciate the fact that you've tried to capture the area where the victim was discovered. However, I truly think it's tacky that her body is in the picture.
Her friends and family read this paper and how horrible it must be for them to see her like this. Other than sensationalism, there is no reason for it. Shame on you for making this tragedy even worse.
Beth Benton
St. James

Totally disgusting
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
As a long time subscriber to the Cuba Free Press, I find it totally disgusting the way this paper allowed the photograph of the young woman's body that was found off Four Mile Road, north of Cuba, to be published in last week's paper.
To me, this shows no respect for the young woman's family or her friends. Also, Mr. Rob Viehman, "Sir, I hope you never find yourself in the position of this girl's family."
Then, to make things even more disgusting, is the way our law officers and bystanders are gawking at the body, like vultures.
My God, couldn't you have at least covered her up.
Gene A. Kulaga
Bourbon

nightowl2
01-29-2004, 02:37 PM
that is tacky putting her picture like that
how sad :(

ShayShay
01-29-2004, 03:38 PM
OMG, how sad! :( But I agree, putting the girl's photo in the paper was VERY insensitive.