PDA

View Full Version : Reversed Racism?

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-23-2004, 12:07 AM
I know I am probably going to get flamed for this, but am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

Students disciplined for award campaign
Posters promoted white student for African American award
Thursday, January 22, 2004 Posted: 11:13 AM EST (1613 GMT)

OMAHA, Nebraska (AP) -- Officials disciplined students who papered their nearly all-white high school with posters advocating a white student from South Africa for the school's "Distinguished African American Student Award."

Peggy Rupprecht, spokeswoman for the Westside Community Schools district, said administrators at Westside High School discovered more than a hundred of the posters throughout the school first thing Monday -- Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

"The content of the posters, they believed, was inappropriate and insensitive to some members of our school community," Rupprecht said.

Citing privacy policies, Rupprecht said she could not specify what the penalties were or how many students were disciplined. But the mother of the boy pictured on the posters said he was suspended for two days.

The award has been given the last eight years to an outstanding black student as part of the school's Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration, she said.

The poster pictured junior Trevor Richards, 16, smiling and making a thumbs up sign. A message at the top encouraged votes for him for next year's award.

Karen Richards said her son and his friends were not trying to hurt anyone.

"My son is not a racist," she told the Omaha World-Herald. "He has black friends, friends from Bangladesh and Egypt. Color has never been an issue in our home."

"It was a very innocent thing," she said.

Two of her son's friends were disciplined along with him, she said. A fourth student was punished for circulating a petition Tuesday criticizing the practice of recognizing only black student achievement with the award, she said.

Tylena Martin, a junior, said the poster had been on the door to her homeroom class where she is the only black student. She said she felt hurt by the posters and the backlash that ensued.

According to 2002-2003 state statistics, 56 Of Westside's 1,632 students are black.

nosamiam
01-23-2004, 01:51 AM
No flaming from me. But I don't think this was reverse racism or racism at all. I think it was just a few stupid kids that didn't think about what they where doing.

zitra
01-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by nosamiam
No flaming from me. But I don't think this was reverse racism or racism at all. I think it was just a few stupid kids that didn't think about what they where doing.

I don't see it as the students being stupid...The kid they nominated/wanted votes for was an amercian born in Africa, who happened to be white..thus "an African American".

erniemarie
01-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by zitra
I don't see it as the students being stupid...The kid they nominated/wanted votes for was an amercian born in Africa, who happened to be white..thus "an African American".

uhmmmmm sorry but that is NOT what an African American is, an African American is someone of African origin or descent born in America, this student is an African who happens to be white-if he was born in Africa he is African by birth regardless of his heritage, nothing more

this is the most ridiculous crock of BS I ever heard, first off to promote a White student who is deserving of the award is perfectly fine but he would have to be desrving for humanitarian reasons such as his role in fighting for equality for African Americans or other monioities, personally I think to promote a white south african who was born in and lived in the age of apartheid-which is the anthesis of everything Dr King fought for is in somewhat poor taste unless there are extenuating circumstances that make him an exemplery example of someone who tried to help minorities and other humanitarian causes IMHO

freeby4me
01-23-2004, 09:06 AM
I have really mixed feelings about this. Nobody should get an award based on their color and the fact the a school gives out an award every year to a certain person due to color is racism. There are plenty of white, mexican, arab american ect who deserve an award just as much but wont even be looked at because they're not black. This goes under the same catagory for me as the white girl who wanted to start a white club in a school that was majority black. She got flamed for being "racist" yet every other origin had their own club where if you werent of the origin you werent allowed to be apart of.
Racism is something this country should have been over years and years ago. Not brought up to make someone look better or worse than someone else.

ckerr4
01-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Since this is a high school award for a "distinguished" student, I doubt that the standards are humanitarian achievements. It's probably more along the lines of academic achievements and more general good social behavior. The kid who wins this award is going to be someone who make decent to outstanding grades, and who engages in one to several extracurricular activities, and maybe does some sort of community project, and there might be an essay or other requirement for the award. I doubt the criteria would be different for a white student from Africa.

However, it is true that there are white people in Africa, although few, and if they are born in Africa, they are called Africans. So what happens when they move to America and assimilate into our country? Are they not allowed to be called African-American? Do we have to call them "white kids from Africa who are now in America"? Seems a little unwieldy.

As someone who is more prominent, Dave Matthews was born in South Africa, and I have heard him referred to as African American. Well - he's an immigrant, from Africa (where he was born) to America (where he now lives). Hmm.

I also doubt that a kid that young, given the time frame, had anything to do with apartheid.

ebgreen74
01-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by ckerr4
Since this is a high school award for a "distinguished" student, I doubt that the standards are humanitarian achievements. It's probably more along the lines of academic achievements and more general good social behavior. The kid who wins this award is going to be someone who make decent to outstanding grades, and who engages in one to several extracurricular activities, and maybe does some sort of community project, and there might be an essay or other requirement for the award. I doubt the criteria would be different for a white student from Africa.

However, it is true that there are white people in Africa, although few, and if they are born in Africa, they are called Africans. So what happens when they move to America and assimilate into our country? Are they not allowed to be called African-American? Do we have to call them "white kids from Africa who are now in America"? Seems a little unwieldy.

As someone who is more prominent, Dave Matthews was born in South Africa, and I have heard him referred to as African American. Well - he's an immigrant, from Africa (where he was born) to America (where he now lives). Hmm.

I also doubt that a kid that young, given the time frame, had anything to do with apartheid.

I agree 100%.

erniemarie
01-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ckerr4

sorry but whether they immigrited here or not, they are NOT African American, they are African immigrants, to be considered African American you have to be born in America, now if you had someone who was Caucasian and of African descent and they were born in America, they would also be African American, you can not be born in Africa and be African American

also I didn't say he had anything to do with apertheid personally, but a child of that age who was born in South Africa would have been born during apertheid and while he lived there would have lived during apertheid and while he may not have been personally involved it is a little tacky to claim someone born and raised there should receive a MLK Jr award, I can see how presenting that type of award to someone some people may see as representitive of apartheid-whether directly involved or not, could cause a lot of racial tensions

I agree the award should be awarded on merit, but they should take in to consideration his extra cirricular activities and there should be some requiremnt of him to have been involved in some activity that shows at least some consideration for those less fortunate than himself-hence a humanitarian activity, that should be required of EVERY person considered for the award regardless of race

llbriteyes
01-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by freeby4me
I have really mixed feelings about this. Nobody should get an award based on their color and the fact the a school gives out an award every year to a certain person due to color is racism. There are plenty of white, mexican, arab american ect who deserve an award just as much but wont even be looked at because they're not black. This goes under the same catagory for me as the white girl who wanted to start a white club in a school that was majority black. She got flamed for being "racist" yet every other origin had their own club where if you werent of the origin you werent allowed to be apart of.
Racism is something this country should have been over years and years ago. Not brought up to make someone look better or worse than someone else.

ITA! Couldn't have put it better!

Linda

llbriteyes
01-23-2004, 10:12 AM
It gripes my butt to no end. If you were born in America, you're an American. Period. I'm not English/French/Welsh American. I'm an American. I believe the ONLY way someone can call themselves
"African American" is if they were BORN in Africa and immigrated. That goes for ANY country. It p*sses me off that its so touchy in this country. AMERICANS were born in AMERICA.

Linda

schsa
01-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Personally I think that in a school with an out of balance student ratio, to pick a black student is somewhat out of place. There are only 56 black students. Somehow that doesn't make sense.

If you want to honor students for their achievements then don't do it based on race, do it on the accomplishments of that student. Regardless of color. That is how we will become a more blended nation.

justme23
01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by llbriteyes
It gripes my butt to no end. If you were born in America, you're an American. Period. I'm not English/French/Welsh American. I'm an American. I believe the ONLY way someone can call themselves
"African American" is if they were BORN in Africa and immigrated. That goes for ANY country. It p*sses me off that its so touchy in this country. AMERICANS were born in AMERICA.

Linda

I could NOT agree more... and I know this is about to get me some serious flames... but has anyone seen road rules on mtv... if you have, did you see the season where they were on the cruise ship and one of their destinations was Africa? I realize some people have their own definition of who is African American, but what few ppl know is that Africans resent the fact that ppl (of any color) who are born in America call themselves African American (which they dedicated an entire show or road rules to, which is why I asked if anyone had seen it). They are Americans and nothing else. By most of the worlds standards, this kid is African American... He was born an African and immigrated to this country, making him African American... if you were born IN this country, you are JUST American.

babydoll_jen
01-23-2004, 10:57 AM
So then why do tv personalities and others still refer to blacks as "African Americans". They were also born in America. Is it proper etiquette to call a black person African American? I don't know. If someone does, please explain.

justme23
01-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by babydoll_jen
So then why do tv personalities and others still refer to blacks as "African Americans". They were also born in America. Is it proper etiquette to call a black person African American? I don't know. If someone does, please explain.

I don't know why it's done, it never really occured to me to question it before... but I do distinctly remember that episode and anyone who is a die hard fan will remember it because they made a very huge deal out of it at the time. And I also remember one of the cast members being very hurt by this, because she felt very strongly about being called African American. I don't know what proper etiquette is... I guess I'm a redneck because... I'm white, not irish american, and (I know this is gonna get me flamed) black ppl are black... we're ALL americans, no matter our color... I don't refer to any of my friends as african or irish or german or whatever american and neither do they. We are just ppl w/ very rich lives and we like to share it w/ everyone.

teddy2948
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Personally, what those students did was for shock value. If they truly wanted to protest the fact that the award was given only to an "African-American" student, then there were means they could have followed to get their point across. It was already stated that when they arrived at school more than a HUNDRED posters were hanging up. Wager to say they were not there on Friday and someone had to break into the school to get all those posters hung up. If that is what they did, then by all means they should be punished.

It's odd though how they have been doing this for eight years and all of a sudden now its a problem. It would seem if these students were so against it, and obviously the minority population in this school is small, then why hasn't someone stood up before now to have this award changed to include ALL students who fit the criteria?

I just see this as another case of kids playing pranks and getting busted and now the parents want them to be given a break. JMHO.

zitra
01-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by justme23
I could NOT agree more... and I know this is about to get me some serious flames... but has anyone seen road rules on mtv... if you have, did you see the season where they were on the cruise ship and one of their destinations was Africa? I realize some people have their own definition of who is African American, but what few ppl know is that Africans resent the fact that ppl (of any color) who are born in America call themselves African American (which they dedicated an entire show or road rules to, which is why I asked if anyone had seen it). They are Americans and nothing else. By most of the worlds standards, this kid is African American... He was born an African and immigrated to this country, making him African American... if you were born IN this country, you are JUST American.

That was my point as well, and I couldn't agree more..

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-23-2004, 12:16 PM

I thought I was the only one that felt this way!

momfromTN
01-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Oh yes reverse racisim does exsist, but it is ok to discriminate against white people. When I was in college there were special financial aid programs just for black and other minorities. If they had one for white students, it would have been considered racist. They had a Miss Black Western Pageant. If they had a Miss WHite Western Pageant, it would have been considered racist. Why?

I understand the black people had and still, in some cases, have it rough. But it is no reason to allow reverse racism. If that offends anyone, well..I guess it will just have to offend. I don't hate anyone. To me, people are people. I guess I would be personally insulted if I got financial aid or an award simply because of my color.
I think blacks and other minorities should take the special treatment as insulting to their intelligence. JMO.

teddy2948
01-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Maybe some of those Ms "Whatever" pagents for minorities were started because they were not ALLOWED to compete in the other competitions and they started their own.

justme23
01-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by teddy2948
Maybe some of those Ms "Whatever" pagents for minorities were started because they were not ALLOWED to compete in the other competitions and they started their own.

Wasn't Miss America Black just a few years back?

erniemarie
01-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by momfromTN
When I was in college there were special financial aid programs just for black and other minorities. If they had one for white students, it would have been considered racist.

hate to burst your bubble but they do have special financial aid programs for Caucasian students, just go to any of the Southern "historically black" colleges, in these schools any student who is NOT African American is considered a minority and gets special consideration for minority scholarships and receives additional financial aid that African American students don't

and as far as the use of the term "black" many people who are African American strongly dislike the use of this word and prefer to honor their culture and heritage by calling themselves African American - Americans of African descent, that's the reason I use it - trust me if you completly immerse yourself in African American culture and community as I have for the last ten years you would understand, you will notice I use the term Caucasian for the same reason - I find the term "white" offensive, I am not "white", my skin is not "white" its kind of a peachy color, I am of a mixed heritage including many nationalities but I was born in America, just like my daughters will be born in America and they will be African American eeven though they won't "look black", they will still be Americans of African descent just like their father is, the terms "white" and "black" are merely antiquited terms left over from the eras of slavery and segregation that are designed to divide and seperate us as a people

teddy2948
01-23-2004, 01:49 PM
There have been several Miss America's, Miss USA etc that have been minority (of all races). I was just saying/asking if those pagents were started ORIGNALLY because of that reason and they have hung on out of tradition. Miss Black America was originally started as a protest to there being NO black contestants in the Miss America Pagent.

Side question??How come we have a Miss America pagent and a Miss USA pagent??

momfromTN
01-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by erniemarie
hate to burst your bubble but they do have special financial aid programs for Caucasian students, just go to any of the Southern "historically black" colleges, in these schools any student who is NOT African American is considered a minority and gets special consideration for minority scholarships and receives additional financial aid that African American students don't

and as far as the use of the term "black" many people who are African American strongly dislike the use of this word and prefer to honor their culture and heritage by calling themselves African American - Americans of African descent, that's the reason I use it - trust me if you completly immerse yourself in African American culture and community as I have for the last ten years you would understand, you will notice I use the term Caucasian for the same reason - I find the term "white" offensive, I am not "white", my skin is not "white" its kind of a peachy color, I am of a mixed heritage including many nationalities but I was born in America, just like my daughters will be born in America and they will be African American eeven though they won't "look black", they will still be Americans of African descent just like their father is, the terms "white" and "black" are merely antiquited terms left over from the eras of slavery and segregation that are designed to divide and seperate us as a people

There is no bubble to burst. I am aware of that fact, but it is not as common as in the bigger schools. And, it is still wrong, IMO. Either way.

And let me ask you, if you are mixed of many nationalities, how in the world are your kids "african american"? I am not being smart alec, I really want to know.
And as far as the term "black". I was told by a black woman that she found the term "african American" insulting. She says she is AMERICAN. She is also one who told me she thought affirmative action was an insult to minorities. Her husband is white and she said her daughter is mixed so she marks "other" on forms. So I guess I cannot please anyone either way. Oh well. LOL!

As far as the pageants go, I do not know if the black women were allowed or not. But, as that is illegal now, why still have them?

erniemarie
01-23-2004, 02:49 PM
There is no bubble to burst. I am aware of that fact, but it is not as common as in the bigger schools. And, it is still wrong, IMO. Either way.

And let me ask you, if you are mixed of many nationalities, how in the world are your kids "african american"? I am not being smart alec, I really want to know.
And as far as the term "black". I was told by a black woman that she found the term "african American" insulting. She says she is AMERICAN. She is also one who told me she thought affirmative action was an insult to minorities. Her husband is white and she said her daughter is mixed so she marks "other" on forms. So I guess I cannot please anyone either way. Oh well. LOL!

As far as the pageants go, I do not know if the black women were allowed or not. But, as that is illegal now, why still have them?

my children will be African American because their father is African American, they will be a mixture of the nationalities I am as well as their father, since their Father is African American-an American of african descent-they will be as well

and as far as the pageants during the Jim Crow/segregation periods no African American women were not allowed to compete in the same pageants as Caucasian women so they created their pageants in which they were allowed to participate, since you're from TN I am shocked you don't know that

Dolly<3
01-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Ugh... this makes my head spin.

momfromTN
01-23-2004, 03:29 PM
my children will be African American because their father is African American, they will be a mixture of the nationalities I am as well as their father, since their Father is African American-an American of african descent-they will be as well

and as far as the pageants during the Jim Crow/segregation periods no African American women were not allowed to compete in the same pageants as Caucasian women so they created their pageants in which they were allowed to participate, since you're from TN I am shocked you don't know that

I no longer live in TN and I only lived there a year. I am originally from Louisville KY. What does TN have to do with it? Again, that is not a smart alec question, I am asking seriously. I also am 36 yrs old, so a lot of the segregation thing I do not have first hand knowledge of.

I still don't get the thing about your kids, but ok. They are your children and you can call them whatever you want to. I don't know my nationality, but my husband is mixed Irish and German, so I guess my kids are a heinz 57! LOL! This melting pot called America~!;)

so-bee-it
01-23-2004, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE] Originally Posted By "Amanda" "Ugh... this makes my head spin."

LOL...mine too.

Pookie2
01-23-2004, 07:23 PM
uhmmmmm sorry but that is NOT what an African American is, an African American is someone of African origin or descent born in America, this student is an African who happens to be white-if he was born in Africa he is African by birth regardless of his heritage, nothing more

So what you are saying is that this boy is not an African - American but his children will be regardless of the color of thier skin?

Donnagg123
01-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh yes reverse racisim does exsist, but it is ok to discriminate against white people. When I was in college there were special financial aid programs just for black and other minorities. If they had one for white students, it would have been considered racist.

I just don't understand this statement. I am currently in college, and yeah there are programs just for people who are not caucasian, but there are just as many if not more for everyone else. I have recieved several scholarships while in college and I am caucasian. Some also require that you achieve a certain GPA or they require that you make under a certain income amount or you have to be going for a certain specialty degree (such as Nursing, Engineering, Etc.), or you have to be a woman. Is this also discrimination? I don't see it as that way just as I don't see that giving someone a scholarship based on skin color is discrimination. JMHO

erniemarie
01-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Pookie2
So what you are saying is that this boy is not an African - American but his children will be regardless of the color of thier skin?

yes thats EXACTLY what I am saying, he is African because he was born in Africa, but his children IF born in America will be African American BECAUSE they were born in America and are of African descent, there are plenty of people who "don't look black" according to societal standards but they are African American and identify themselves as such

momfromTN

based on your user name I thought you were in fact from TN and I would be completly shocked that anyone especially from a southern formerly segregated state has no knowledge of what segregation entailed, its basic American history and should be common knowledge to anyone and everyone born and raised in this country, and as far as my children it is really very simple and I have explained this several times but I will do it yet again, I consider myself caucasian(mix of german, austrian, english, french, french-canadian and native american), their father is African American (born in this country of African descent via slavery) since he is African American obviously his children would also be African American

momfromTN
01-24-2004, 03:12 AM
yes thats EXACTLY what I am saying, he is African because he was born in Africa, but his children IF born in America will be African American BECAUSE they were born in America and are of African descent, there are plenty of people who "don't look black" according to societal standards but they are African American and identify themselves as such

momfromTN

based on your user name I thought you were in fact from TN and I would be completly shocked that anyone especially from a southern formerly segregated state has no knowledge of what segregation entailed, its basic American history and should be common knowledge to anyone and everyone born and raised in this country, and as far as my children it is really very simple and I have explained this several times but I will do it yet again, I consider myself caucasian(mix of german, austrian, english, french, french-canadian and native american), their father is African American (born in this country of African descent via slavery) since he is African American obviously his children would also be African American

When I registered, I thought we would be living in TN for good. The job situation is terrible where we lived, so we moved to FL and my DH has a good job now, thank God.

I know about segregation from history classes, and from what my parents and others have told me, but I have no first hand knowledge, since segregation is OUTLAWED now and I am too young to have seen it firsthand for the most part. I find that era of our history to be equally as shocking as you were shocked when you thought I had NO knowledge of segregation. Anyone who has been to school is taught about it. I just didn't live it or see it, which, BTW, does not make me ignorant of history, nor dumb. Not that you used those words of course, but your post sounded a little condecending. I am sure you didn't intend it that way, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it is just me.

As far as your kids are concerned, yes of course they would have their father's heritage, as well as yours. It just sounded like you were canceling out your own,as some people do, but I understand now. The written word sometimes doesn't convey our thoughts completely.

nosamiam
01-24-2004, 09:56 AM
erniemarie your children will be biracial. My daughters are not only black they are caucasian making them biracial. I will never single out one race. jmho

LuvBigRip
01-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Wow. I am at a loss. This student is of African Nationality. The color of his skin should be no issue as to his nationality. The award was for African-American honors. I would think that based on this alone he qualifies more than any other student. Color of skin has nothing to do with heritage. If we continue to base things soley on the color of skin we continue to forge the divide of races. Until we all, as a nation, begin to check the "other" or "prefer not to answer" boxes on the stupid little survey's that are set to seperate us into little groups, we will continue to be placed into our own little color corner.

I also disagree with the Miss. Whatever Race competitions, when they started it was because they had no access to the white only contests. But times have changed. Integration can only be fully achieved if everyone participates on an equal level. As a woman of European decent, I would not be allowed to enter the Miss Whatever Race contest because I am caucasian. This is discrimination. Period.

As for scholoraships, most of these are set up by individuals, who can set any qualifications they want. The are as varied as your heritage, sex all the way to your current circumstances. ie: single mother raising two children, one boy one girl, who played soccer and whose mother's name is Martha. That is up to the individual who starts the scholarship fund. I do have a problem with publically funded scholarships that discriminate on ANY basis other than performance of grades.

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-24-2004, 11:50 AM
A little update on why I started this thread. The school where my cousin goes to is 50/50. Everyday she sees kids wearing t-shirts that say ""Black is beautiful" and "It's a Black thing you wouldn't understand". Last week she wore a t-shirt that said "White is beautiful". Guess what? She got sent home and suspended for 2 days for that. I'm not saying she is an angel (far from it) but why is it ok for one person to wear something similiar and not someone else?

momfromTN
01-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by JENNIFERCATLADY
A little update on why I started this thread. The school where my cousin goes to is 50/50. Everyday she sees kids wearing t-shirts that say ""Black is beautiful" and "It's a Black thing you wouldn't understand". Last week she wore a t-shirt that said "White is beautiful". Guess what? She got sent home and suspended for 2 days for that. I'm not saying she is an angel (far from it) but why is it ok for one person to wear something similiar and not someone else?

I would have been raising six kinds of it, had it been my child. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If other races can be proud of their heritage, why can't white people?

erniemarie
01-24-2004, 12:55 PM
When I registered, I thought we would be living in TN for good. The job situation is terrible where we lived, so we moved to FL and my DH has a good job now, thank God.

I know about segregation from history classes, and from what my parents and others have told me, but I have no first hand knowledge, since segregation is OUTLAWED now and I am too young to have seen it firsthand for the most part. I find that era of our history to be equally as shocking as you were shocked when you thought I had NO knowledge of segregation. Anyone who has been to school is taught about it. I just didn't live it or see it, which, BTW, does not make me ignorant of history, nor dumb. Not that you used those words of course, but your post sounded a little condecending. I am sure you didn't intend it that way, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it is just me.

As far as your kids are concerned, yes of course they would have their father's heritage, as well as yours. It just sounded like you were canceling out your own,as some people do, but I understand now. The written word sometimes doesn't convey our thoughts completely.

if anything I said came across wrong or offended in any way, I do apologize, I didn't mean to be rude or condescending in any way, I tend to be a bit "rough around the edges" and sarcastic at times

erniemarie
01-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by nosamiam
erniemarie your children will be biracial. My daughters are not only black they are caucasian making them biracial. I will never single out one race. jmho

to me they will always be multiracial (caucasian, african-american and native american-from both parents) however society and the world will always look at my children and see them as african-american, even their birth certificates will classify them as african-american (the state of MI is the only state that recognizes biracial or multiracial on a birth certificate) and I never meant to imply that I was downplaying their caucasian side

momfromTN
01-24-2004, 01:08 PM
if anything I said came across wrong or offended in any way, I do apologize, I didn't mean to be rude or condescending in any way, I tend to be a bit "rough around the edges" and sarcastic at times

Me too. No biggie. I DID give you the benefit of the doubt!:D

debbyfaye
01-24-2004, 01:25 PM
to me they will always be multiracial (caucasian, african-american and native american-from both parents) however society and the world will always look at my children and see them as african-american, even their birth certificates will classify them as african-american (the state of MI is the only state that recognizes biracial or multiracial on a birth certificate) and I never meant to imply that I was downplaying their caucasian side

Why would they (the hospital) choose African American over Caucasian? That doesn't make sense to me. One race/ethnicity shouldn't have precedence over the other. If you, as a Caucasian woman are going to be the one having them shouldn't it be up to you to choose it?

I know that when I had my daughter we filled out all the information for the birth certificate.

Dolly<3
01-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by JENNIFERCATLADY

:mad: That's wrong.

Donnagg123
01-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by HVanWinkle
As for scholoraships, most of these are set up by individuals, who can set any qualifications they want. The are as varied as your heritage, sex all the way to your current circumstances. ie: single mother raising two children, one boy one girl, who played soccer and whose mother's name is Martha. That is up to the individual who starts the scholarship fund. I do have a problem with publically funded scholarships that discriminate on ANY basis other than performance of grades.

I do realize that they are set up by individuals. All I was saying is that if a person is calling these "reverse-racism", then it cannot be because there are plenty out there for people of all races, creeds, etc.

What public funded scholarships are you refering to? Do you mean financial aid that is given by the gov't/state and paid for by our taxes? As far as I know, the only requirement for those are financial need and GPA. There is no discrimination. I also have recieved plenty from either one because of my grades and my financial need. I know there are a lot of people at my school angry because they do not qualify because they make too much, but not because they feel it is any type of discrimination.

bpl76
01-25-2004, 09:28 AM
In my feebble little opinion we are all of the same race. The HUMAN race. :-) Now racing quickly out of here.

Angelseyes28
01-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bpl76
In my feebble little opinion we are all of the same race. The HUMAN race. :-) Now racing quickly out of here.

Very very VERY well said!!:)

llbriteyes
01-25-2004, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by erniemarie
[B]hate to burst your bubble but they do have special financial aid programs for Caucasian students, just go to any of the Southern "historically black" colleges, in these schools any student who is NOT African American is considered a minority and gets special consideration for minority scholarships and receives additional financial aid that African American students don't

Personally, I think everyone is just way too d*mn sensitive. Life's hard enough, why make it harder. And while I'm on the life is tough thing, life IS hard. GET A HELMET!

Linda

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-25-2004, 09:20 PM
The proverbial you know what is about to hit the fan....darling cousin has the bright idea to wear a new t-shirt to school that she made herself. This one says...."It''s a White Thing, you couldn't legally afford it!" I can't wait to hear what happens over THIS stunt!!!

Gitty
01-26-2004, 02:29 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by HVanWinkle
Wow. I am at a loss. This student is of African Nationality. The color of his skin should be no issue as to his nationality. The award was for African-American honors. I would think that based on this alone he qualifies more than any other student. Color of skin has nothing to do with heritage. If we continue to base things soley on the color of skin we continue to forge the divide of races. Until we all, as a nation, begin to check the "other" or "prefer not to answer" boxes on the stupid little survey's that are set to seperate us into little groups, we will continue to be placed into our own little color corner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------ITA!!! I wish the government would eliminate anything that has to do with race off of most everything, and make companies do it also. I have seen many times a application for a job be thrown way because of race. And the person never even got a interview. Makes me sick. We are all of the Human Race.