PDA

View Full Version : Reward and punishment ideas needed

sdmay3
01-20-2004, 04:54 PM
I have 3 girls ages 9, 11, and 13 and a boy that will be 3 next month. One of my girls has bipolar and ADHD and the other has ADHD. I am trying to put together some reward and punishment charts for them to try and regain some control in my house. My 11 year old was just released from the mental hospital today. They only put her in on Friday but due to insurance they had to release her. Any ideas for rewards or punishments would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know of any good software for making up chore charts?

evrita
01-20-2004, 05:02 PM
I have a daughter that is a handful. We hadher in therapy and found a couple diff meds that worked. We take away the comp of soemthing they really LOVE and as far as reward maybe alot of praise money at the end of the week.A star chart and if they get so many stars then do something special like go to the park or something they love to do HTH

YankeeMary
01-20-2004, 11:21 PM
No ideas just sending you prayers and strength...God Bless, Mary

sdmay3
01-28-2004, 05:27 AM
I am still desperate for ideas.
Thanks,
Dawn

VenusA423
01-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Here's a link to a site that was posted a while back, where you can print up chore/star charts. Good luck!

http://www.dltk-cards.com/chart/

shelhop
01-28-2004, 07:05 AM
This is the reward system we use at our house, and it really is quite effective...although nothing works 100% of the time.
My husband and I have put together our own little store. It's a locked cabinet with all sorts of misc. trinkets that apply to the different ages of kids. We have 4 girls and a boy ranging between 5 and 15 years old. The stuff doesn't have to be expensive. We pick up dollar store and clearance items. I also enter a lot of contests and sometimes put small wins (Like Pepperidge Farms Goldfish wallets...lol) in it.
We purchased a large roll of tickets. The kids receive tickets for good behaviors as well as for chores and all around general kindness. Every Saturday is "shopping day". They may then exchange tickets for prizes in the cabinet, or save up for a bigger prize on another Saturday.
This works better than anything we've ever tried. And it doesn't always have to be something you've purchased. "Coupons" for things like staying up an hour later, or get out of a chore free, etc., can be quite valuable to kids. Occasionally we even have drawings for trips and stuff that they can put tickets in for entries. Stuff like a trip for you and a friend to go to the movies, or roller skating. That sort of thing.
The kids love this, and it really does help. We still have some quarrels and stuff like that, but it's greatly reduced knowing that good behavior gets rewarded, and it really stinks when you haven't got tickets to go "shopping."
Hope this helps. Good luck to you and yours.