PDA

View Full Version : A Good Reason NOT to have ANY plastic surgury

Blackberry
01-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I was looking through the obits. and saw that one of my favorite authors had died. She was Olivia Goldsmith. She worte The First Wives Club which got turned into a movie and she also wrote Young Wives amoung other books. She was a great writer.

Well, she had plastic surgury and during the procedure she had a heart attack and died! Guess what she was having done......removing loose skin from under her chin!!!!! She was only 54 years old!

So Sad. :(

ttistin
01-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I know what you are saying, but in all honesty death is a risk with any surgery. I myself would love to have plastic surgery {breast reduction and tummy tuck} If I had the option I would do it, even knowing the risk that something like this may happen.

I am sorry that something like this happened to her, It is sad when something like this happends. {{HUGS}}

maxima
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
OMG ... that's horrible. I love her books too.

Personally, I would never consider any cosmetic surgery ... had too many of the necessary ones.

aimefisher
01-19-2004, 02:38 PM
What about necessary platic surgery like a certain person's baby having surgery to repair a birth defect??? Would you deny that baby the surgery? I am not trying to start a fight but there are plenty of GOOD reasons for plastic surgery.

FMDiva
01-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Rest peacefully Olivia Goldsmith, and thanks for those wonderful books.

I don't think the OP is talking about reconstruction surgery rather vanity surgery. I couldn't have vanity surgery myself. Only in the case that I had had some disaster of an accident and it was necessary to reconstruct. The whole idea of putting plastic parts in my body for the vanity of society just is beyond my own limits.

Too many say that "we should accept each other for who we are" and then run to the doctors to have plastic inserted so they "look" better. I have never found the logic behind this, nor do I really want to know either.

ttistin
01-19-2004, 02:43 PM
I am sorry, I didnt mean to come off saying You are in the wrong Blackberry. You arent. I know what you meant with your post. I just wanted to say that to some people that risk is worth it to look/feel better about themselves. {{{{Hugs}}}} I hope I didnt hurt yours or anyone elses feelings with my post.

ttistin
01-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by FMDiva
Rest peacefully Olivia Goldsmith, and thanks for those wonderful books.

I don't think the OP is talking about reconstruction surgery rather vanity surgery. I couldn't have plastic surgery myself. Only if I had had some disaster of an accident and it was necessary to reconstruct. The whole idea of putting plastic parts in my body for the vanity of society just is beyond my own limits.

Too many say that "we should accept each other for who we are" and then run to the doctors to have plastic inserted so they "look" better. I have never found the logic behind this, nor do I really want to know either.

LOL I am sorry I am not laughing at you FMDiva. I just wanted to say that plastic surgery has nothing to do with putting plastic in your body. :D :) :D :)

FMDiva
01-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh.. I fully realize what plastic surgery includes. I was speaking in the general sense of VANITY surgery that includes those chin implants, cheekbones, and other apparatus'. NOT RECONSTRUCTIVE surgery to reconstruct the body after large weight losses, reconstruction of breasts after removal of cancerous breast tissues, placing bone to reconstruct and all the other reconstruction surgery which are entirely too numerous to list in a forum. I am speaking of surgery that people have to look better for society sake.

When you watch some of those surgeries you see that there is quite a bit that those plastic surgeons can do for someone, but for myself it is beyond my limits to have a vanity surgery... I am only speaking for myself.

Material used for many implant apparatus that are not cadaver bone are Silastic, a solid, flexible plastic, Polyethylene, a plastic that resembles sea coral, Gore-Tex, the same material used in high-quality raincoats, and a ceramic called Hydroxyapatite, which also resembles sea coral. Again, if used for reconstruction I would still have to consider it very carefully. It is a foreign material.

MySonNick1
01-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ttistin
LOL I am sorry I am not laughing at you FMDiva. I just wanted to say that plastic surgery has nothing to do with putting plastic in your body. :D :) :D :)

This may be a stupid question, but if plastic surgery has nothing to do with putting plastic in your body, than why is it called Plastic surgery?

And yes, I know what plastic surgery is.

stresseater
01-19-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't think the OP is talking about reconstruction surgery rather vanity surgery. I couldn't have vanity surgery myself. Only in the case that I had had some disaster of an accident and it was necessary to reconstruct. The whole idea of putting plastic
Well said and I totally agree. :D :D

Donnagg123
01-19-2004, 06:23 PM
That is sad. She was a good author. It is also sad the lengths some people will go thru and have to go thru just to please their audience and the public.

On a lighter note, when I saw the title I thought you was going to have a picture of Michael Jackson or something.

Lora_1994
01-19-2004, 06:58 PM
lmao, I thought the EXACT same thing Donnagg

ttistin
01-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by FMDiva
Oh.. I fully realize what plastic surgery includes. I was speaking in the general sense of VANITY surgery that includes those chin implants, cheekbones, and other apparatus'. NOT RECONSTRUCTIVE surgery to reconstruct the body after large weight losses, reconstruction of breasts after removal of cancerous breast tissues, placing bone to reconstruct and all the other reconstruction surgery which are entirely too numerous to list in a forum. I am speaking of surgery that people have to look better for society sake.

When you watch some of those surgeries you see that there is quite a bit that those plastic surgeons can do for someone, but for myself it is beyond my limits to have a vanity surgery... I am only speaking for myself.

Material used for many implant apparatus that are not cadaver bone are Silastic, a solid, flexible plastic, Polyethylene, a plastic that resembles sea coral, Gore-Tex, the same material used in high-quality raincoats, and a ceramic called Hydroxyapatite, which also resembles sea coral. Again, if used for reconstruction I would still have to consider it very carefully. It is a foreign material.

It is not always for socitys sake. most of the time when someone, just an average person, gets plastic surgery it is to make them selves feel better. weather it be implants or something else done. I know for myself {and I know there are many others out there that feel the same} a breast reduction wouldnt just be a vanity thing. It would help me both physcialy and emotionaly. I have no idea what it is like to wear a "normal" shirt, I always have to get a bigger size. I always have a backache. I know that I was always sterotyped into the "slut" type by other females because of my chest, some still think that way of me. So for me and others that are in the same postion it isnt a vanity thing.

the Op's post didnt say anything about an implant, just some skin getting taken off on her neck. Isnt that the same thing as saying that it is a reconstructive surgery?

I am not trying to start anything here, I am just saying that sometimes it isnt about vanity and it is wrong to say that just because someone opts to have plastic surgery doesnt mean it is all for socity. sometimes it means a lot more.

Hillbilly
01-19-2004, 08:06 PM
I say to each his own,but here are a few reasons not to have plastic surgery.http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives.html

FMDiva
01-20-2004, 02:03 AM
I am sure that there are many reasons for reconstruction surgery. But it is wise to discuss all aspects of cosmetic surgery as well. After all this is a forum that many do read and maybe find a great deal of information both pro and con.

Cosmetic surgery is reconstruction of normal structures where as reconstructive surgery is performed on abnormal structures caused by congenital, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors or disease.

I am sure that all of us understand what is meant by the phrase of “Vanity for society sake”. Maybe I should have been clearer about using the phrase Plastic surgery , since it is a phrase used for both cosmetic surgery and reconstruction surgery. My bad, I should have said, I would not have cosmetic surgery. After being involved with in researching with family members, I have come to this conclusion that the world will just have to accept this face/body as I age.
Even IF, I was faced with reconstruction surgery, especially if this surgery included plastic material, I would take even more consideration or choose cadaver bones.

It is up to you to decide what to do with your own body. There is a great chance that my opinion will not be a part of someone else’s decision to have such surgeries.

In response to the OP’s question “A Good Reason NOT to have ANY plastic surgery" I have given my personal opinion which included my wish that society would move away from the standard of beauty that many women and men choose to take this risk. Surgery for the sake of vanity standards set by society. I don't think this included anyone taking the risk of such a surgery to correct an abnormal structures caused by congenital, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors or disease.

Olivia Goldsmith who has died aged of 54 as a result of complications during cosmetic surgery. She had been in a coma since the 14th of Jan. She died on Thursday the 15th. Goldsmith suffered a heart attack as she went under anesthesia for a procedure to remove loose skin from her face. If she had not gone in to have some cosmetic changes by the removal of skin from under her chin, she would be alive to spend more time with her Mother and two Sisters. Maybe give "us" another awesome book. For true, many enjoyed her writing a great deal as I have enjoyed her books.

It is my belief the OP is bringing to our attention, as well as others, that this is elective surgery and as with all surgeries there is a big risk. Even with the best of doctors there have been many things can and do wrong. With the nature of this surgery, things that go wrong can leave such damage that is not always hidden by a shirt from others and does make a difference in self image.
It is important to bring to attention ALL the reasons so others become aware of the ENTIRE risk factors, as well to be aware of the difference between reconstruction and otherwise.

Now, I think I have been about as clear as I can that this is MY THOUGHTS...it is up to you to form your own opinion from the facts that can be found about cosmetic surgery or reconstruction surgery.
I believe someone around this forum said that "this is my opinion and it is up to you to form your own opinion." Great phrase that fits.

Again, I am sorry that I was not as clear as I should of been before.

VintageEyes
01-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by MySonNick1
This may be a stupid question, but if plastic surgery has nothing to do with putting plastic in your body, than why is it called Plastic surgery?

And yes, I know what plastic surgery is.

My guess is that it is because these type of surgeries involve "molding" body parts into another shape. Anything that is "flexible" or "moldable" can be called "plastic". But that's just my guess.

zitra
01-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ttistin
It is not always for socitys sake. most of the time when someone, just an average person, gets plastic surgery it is to make them selves feel better. weather it be implants or something else done. I know for myself {and I know there are many others out there that feel the same} a breast reduction wouldnt just be a vanity thing. It would help me both physcialy and emotionaly. I have no idea what it is like to wear a "normal" shirt, I always have to get a bigger size. I always have a backache. I know that I was always sterotyped into the "slut" type by other females because of my chest, some still think that way of me. So for me and others that are in the same postion it isnt a vanity thing.

the Op's post didnt say anything about an implant, just some skin getting taken off on her neck. Isnt that the same thing as saying that it is a reconstructive surgery?

I am not trying to start anything here, I am just saying that sometimes it isnt about vanity and it is wrong to say that just because someone opts to have plastic surgery doesnt mean it is all for socity. sometimes it means a lot more.

Well spoken..I agree.

FMDiva
01-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by MySonNick1

Originally posted by VintageEyes
My guess is that it is because these type of surgeries involve "molding" body parts into another shape. Anything that is "flexible" or "moldable" can be called "plastic". But that's just my guess.

From the ASPS--->"Despite the popular misconception, the word "plastic" in "plastic surgery" does not mean "artificial," but is derived from the ancient Greek work "plastikos," which means to mold or give form. Plastic surgery includes both the reconstructive and aesthetic subspecialties."

Here is some historical information about the Art of Plastic Surgery, for your enjoyment. It is interesting reading…

THE EARLY YEARS
Mankind's essential nature entails self-improvement. Without the individual's pursuit of learning and enlightenment, peace with his or her neighbors and more efficient means to work, progress would stop. Because human beings have always sought self-fulfillment through self-improvement, plastic surgery -- improving and restoring form and function -- may be one of the world's oldest healing arts.
In fact, written evidence cites medical treatment for facial injuries more than 4,000 years ago. Physicians in ancient India were utilizing skin grafts for reconstructive work as early as 800 B.C.
However, progress in plastic surgery, like most of medicine, moved glacially for hundreds of years. It wasn't until the 19th and 20th centuries that the specialty forged ahead both scientifically and within the medical establishment in both Europe and the United States.
America's first plastic surgeon of note was Dr. John Peter Mettauer, who was born in Virginia in 1787. The colorful Dr. Mettauer performed the first cleft palate operation in the New World in 1827 with instruments he designed himself.
War Drives Plastic Surgery Developments
For better or worse, the driving force behind most plastic surgery developments during the late 1800s and early 1900s was war, with the awful injuries it often inflicts on its participants. In fact, it was the "War to End All Wars," World War I, that catapulted plastic surgery into a new and higher realm.
Never before had physicians been required to treat so many and such extensive facial and head injuries. Shattered jaws, blown-off noses and lips and gaping skull wounds caused by modern weapons required innovative restorative procedures. Some of the best medical talent in Britain, France, Germany, Russia and Austria-Hungary devoted themselves to restoring the faces and lives of their countrymen during and after World War I. In the United States, plastic surgeons like Varaztad Kazanjian of Boston and Vilray Blair of St. Louis nobly served both their country, and humanity, in those years.

More reading here (http://www.plasticsurgery.org/History.cfm)

hotwheelstx
01-20-2004, 01:22 PM
As one who has had massive reconstructive surgery (auto. accident) I understand fully the dangers of it. It's not something to be taken lightly. As in my case necessary for "survival" I do understand why people do partake in it....

Even w/me it was addicting....I didn't go that far but drs. wanted to "improve" what they'd done to "repair" the damage so far.

If it's what you think you're "missing" in your life or something you want to just do"....seriously reconsider.

Olivia Goldsmith was great. I admired her for her accomplishments in writing. She well be sorely missed.

If anyone's curious as to what I've had done:

Skin graphs to entire hiney area...I had none left.

Nose reconstruction

Cheek/jaw reconstruction

Chin reconstructed

Skin graphs to tummy area-hit the pavement causing skin to be scraped off.

Sinus cavity reconstruction.

I truly do understand vanity but this along w/other "plastics" is a long, hard recovery to say the least.

Blackberry
01-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by aimefisher
What about necessary platic surgery like a certain person's baby having surgery to repair a birth defect??? Would you deny that baby the surgery? I am not trying to start a fight but there are plenty of GOOD reasons for plastic surgery.

Well, duh! Of course I would not deprive a baby/child/adult necessary plastic surgery to live a good life. That is not what I meant at all. Plastic surgery is a wonderful thing that has done wonderful things for so many people.

I'm was just saying that it was sad that a good author went under the knife for something seemingly small like extra skin under her chin and she ended up dying. It seemed like it would such an easy surgery. Of course hindsight is 20/20, I'm sure if she had know what was going to happen, she would have gladly lived with the extra skin.

llbriteyes
01-21-2004, 04:36 PM
I think that a person has a right to do what they want with their bodies. If plastic surgery can help self esteem and they can afford it, why not? Not my business.

However, I CAN say that wouldn't have it myself unless necessary... except... When I finish losing all my weight, and my breasts have always been large large... Back breaking large, if I still haven't lost some breast acreage, I will get reduction surgery.

KATinKY
01-22-2004, 09:21 PM
nevermind