PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this?

MySonNick1
01-19-2004, 10:07 AM
17-year-old in legal fight with Microsoft

08:21 AM CST on Monday, January 19, 2004

Associated Press

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – It's Microsoft versus Mike Rowe-soft.

Rowe, a 17-year-old high school senior and Web designer from Victoria, has angered the software giant by registering an Internet site with the address www.MikeRoweSoft.

"Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to the end of it," said Rowe.

Microsoft, however, is not amused.

It has demanded that he give up his domain name. In November, Rowe received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers informing him he was committing copyright infringement.

"I didn't think they would get all their high-priced lawyers to come after me," Rowe said.

He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his name. Microsoft's lawyers offered him $10 in U.S. funds. Then he asked for $10,000.

On Thursday, he received a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement.

"I never even thought of getting anything out of them," he said, adding that he only asked for the $10,000 because he was "sort of mad at them for only offering 10 bucks."

Microsoft company spokesman Jim Desler said Sunday, "Microsoft has been in communication with Mr. Rowe in a good faith effort to reach a mutually agreeable resolution."

Rowe is keeping his sense of humor.

"It's not their name. It's my name. I just think it's kind of funny that they'd go after a 17-year-old," Rowe said.

nanajoanie
01-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Go Mike Rowe!!!!! Sometimes the "little guy" wins. Cheering for you!!!!!

hmkejma
01-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Cheering for Mike Rowe!!!!!

Unicornmom77
01-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by nanajoanie
Go Mike Rowe!!!!! Sometimes the "little guy" wins. Cheering for you!!!!!

GO MIKEY GO MIKEY!! I think he should get the big money, what an insult $10!!!! Geez!!

Dolly<3
01-19-2004, 11:41 AM
I think it's petty. Like Microsoft doesn't have better things to do than pick on some kid with a little website. :mad: For shame!

MySonNick1
01-19-2004, 12:04 PM
I just thought it was kind of funny. I am cheering for Mike too.

teenies*mom
01-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Lets stand behind Mike Rowe -
10 bucks thats ridiculous!!!

Syrinx
01-19-2004, 02:21 PM
That's ridiculous! Anyway, doesn't copyright infringement only apply if the person is trying to profit off the name?

Quaker_Parrots
01-20-2004, 04:38 AM
Well, he is trying to turn a profit on his website, he has a web design business he runs on the site:

http://www.mikerowesoft.com

the1bea
01-20-2004, 08:34 AM
This is crazy. I am in support for Mike Rowe soft. Looks like on his site you can send him some paypal for his defense. I cant belive his $10. I would be asking for $10 MILLION before this is all done and over with. Poor guy.

justme23
01-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Quaker_Parrots
Well, he is trying to turn a profit on his website, he has a web design business he runs on the site:

http://www.mikerowesoft.com

I think tho that you have to profit off of things microsoft, don't you? For it to be infringement? Web Design and OS design aren't really the same...

tsquared
01-20-2004, 11:42 AM
I think the companies sometimes get so big that all they think about is themselves and dont bother getting customer oriented.......What is $10,000 to Microsoft any how............