PDA

View Full Version : For those who have miscarried or know someone who has

jdglmg
01-18-2004, 01:55 AM
I thought this was an excellent article on the emotions surrounding miscarriage and it can help those of us who have not miscarried but know someone who has...

The Silent Sadness: Losing a Child Before Birth

It is believed that there is no greater loss than the loss of a child. However, society often forgets that a miscarriage is also losing a child. Each year, millions of women miscarry - approximately half of all women who get pregnant. Some believe that an early miscarriage is not as traumatic emotionally as one that occurs in the late stages of a pregnancy or even after birth. This belief is inaccurate.

Miscarriages are unbearable for both parents no matter when it occurs in a pregnancy. When couples are happy and anticipating the arrival of their child, a miscarriage can bring on a difficult grieving process. Symptoms of grief may vary. Parental reactions and intensity of feelings may differ. Typical reactions include the following:

continual crying and suffering from feelings of isolation or loneliness
wanting to talk about the miscarriage in specific detail
feeling hopeless, helpless, irritable and depressed
overwhelmed with anger, guilt and/or blame
loss of appetite or overeating
struggling with insomnia or lack of energy
inability to concentrate, comprehend or remember things
loss of goals in life, as well as a sense of desolation about the future
aching arms, phantom crying and/or frequent sighing
A miscarriage can take an emotional beating on an individual. But it can also have a negative impact on a marriage. Reactions to death, especially a child’s, is different from person to person. Therefore, we all grieve differently. The importance is not how a person grieves, but that they do grieve and move successfully through the grieving process.

Spouses often grieve in different ways and often misunderstand each other's reactions and needs. Some may feel reluctant to express feelings or may not want to talk about the miscarriage. However, he or she may feel comfortable listening to their spouse.

Crying is another reaction that may vary. Crying is an acceptable and healthy expression of grief, but many fathers may find it difficult to release their emotions through crying. Some fathers feel that crying leaves them vulnerable. Men are often encouraged to be strong in a time of crisis. But crying is way to release tension, frustration or anger.

Communication may be difficult during the grieving process. It is essential to eliminate misunderstandings and intense emotions, which can lead to marital problems. Experiencing grief due to a miscarriage is stressful, and couples need to know that grief does not always bring them closer. Sometimes it can create a wide gap that cannot be sealed.

Family and friends can provide loving support to a couple or individual grieving from a miscarriage. But if they do not know how to console you, it can make them feel awkward and uncomfortable. They may not understand the intensity of your grief or may feel helpless to be able to console or comfort you. Consequently, many offer cliches or platitudes as a source of comfort. You may hear some of the following statements:

You will have more children.
You were lucky it was early in your pregnancy.
You're still young enough to have more children.
You're lucky you didn’t have bring the baby home from the hospital before he or she died.
Since they have not had your experience, it will be difficult for them to understand the depth of your grief and sadness. Another way your family or friends will try to console you is to tell you to have another baby. Let them know how important that baby was to you and by simply having another baby will not replace the precious life that was lost. Ask them to be supportive by just listening. Here are some helpful tips that will aid your family and friends to help you get through this difficult time:

Don’t ignore me because you are uncomfortable with the subject - it makes me wonder if what happened to me means nothing to you.
Acknowledge my pain, and please, don't expect me to be "over this" in a month; the depth of my grief will even shock me as it returns in waves over and over again long after everyone else has forgotten.
If you haven't called and a long time has gone by, tell me that you're sorry, and that you just didn't know what to say, but don't say you've been too busy!
If you invite me for lunch in the midst of my grief, expect to talk about my loss. It's all I am thinking about anyway and I need to talk about it; small talk neither interests nor helps me.
If I start to cry while I am talking about the miscarriage, don't change the subject. Crying is a healthy way to release this intense emotion.
Don't compare other situations to mine.
Don't tell me about your birth situations, now is not the time.
Telling me that "God's will is best" and "the baby is in a better place" doesn't ease the pain. I'd rather hear that God is with me and will help me through this difficult time.
Don't say, "I'm glad you didn't get to hold the baby". I'm in pain because I didn't get to hold the baby. My arms ache and those feelings of deprivation are so strong you can't imagine how I feel.
When asking my husband how I am doing, ask him how he is doing. He lost his baby as well.
Don't devalue my baby by saying, "better luck next time". This baby was a very special and unique person, and he or she can ever be replaced. Besides you and I don't know if there will be a next time, and that is painful all on it's own.
Passing through the grief cycle takes time. Don't try to offer answers, because sometimes there are no answers. The best support available is to listen and love the grieving individual or couple.

For more helpful advice on losing a child through miscarriage, visit our library section for a complimentary booklet titled Take Heart in Your Grief (http://www.onmainstreet.org/th.htm)

ang in NC
01-19-2004, 10:08 PM
I lost 3 babies. This says it all.No one knows anothers pain until they have been there. I know this post will help alot of people.Thanks for your post. My last miscarriage was 12 yrs ago.But I still remember the hurt. Again thanks for your post!

ImaGApeach
01-19-2004, 10:18 PM
I lost a child in between my 2 oldest daughters and it was very painful no one seemed to understand-they did not think I should be so upset and ppl said things like"it's for the best" and "it's God way because there was something wrong with the baby" I still remember this pregnancy just like my othere 3 daughters that lived. Thanks for sharing.

Whitequeen39
01-19-2004, 10:36 PM
I lost 4 babies at 21 weeks (girl), 8 weeks, 16 weeks(boy) and 6 weeks. I have 5 sons but the pain of each little one that I lost is still very deep. Thanks for the post it sums up all the feelings perfectly.

Merry99%
01-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks.Nothing anyone says can make you feel any better when this happens(IMO):( but a hug from someone who really cares and just being there means the world sometimes:(

jdglmg
01-20-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm glad this is helpful! I have never had a miscarriage, but it took me almost 5 years of no birth control to get pregnant. I was starting to wonder if I could have children. (I have two now! :)) But I know I would have been devastated if I had miscarried. It is a baby you are carrying and whether the baby is born or not when you lose a baby, it is traumatic! I cry when I hear about someone having a miscarriage, and I know their pain is 1000 times more than what I feel for them!

curlymae29
01-22-2004, 06:16 AM
I haven't ever lost a baby myself, but in the last year my daughter has lost two. Oh...how I wish I could take that pain away from her. I was surprised how much I hurt. I still shed tears over my two grandbabies and look forward to the day when Jesus lays those two beautiful babies in my arms.

krzymom
03-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Oh how true this is. Noone understood the pain I was in when I miscarried. Esp. hubby he was like oh well quit cying lets go eat. So oone grieves the same

intimidator329
03-14-2004, 07:40 PM
I lost one in Feb of '99. I then had a devestating car wreck in Oct '99. I sometimes think that maybe the baby was taken back because either it would have been killed in the wreck or it knew with the injuries and problems I will have the rest of my life, I wouldn't be able to physically give it the care it needed.
I was going to name her Desiree Michelle if it was a girl or Dakata Micheal if it was a boy.

since then my witch of a sil has had three girls and everyone in my family thinks my miscarriage was all in my head. My sil said I was jealous. How could I have been. She didn't get pregnant until Dec '99.
my mom thinks I need prozac cuz I keep saying I had a miscarriage.
she took me to the er. somehow with the new grandkids she "forgot"

Whitequeen39
03-14-2004, 08:11 PM
{{{{{{{{Intimidator}}}}} I am so sorry, if you ever need someone to talk to , please feel free to pm me anytime.

hotdoglove
03-15-2004, 10:06 AM
I lost a baby around christmas time and I really still feel it fresh in my mind:( It does hurt but it was for the best

justmehere
03-15-2004, 10:22 AM
So very nice of you to post this jdglmg:)

I have lost 2 babies to miscarriages, it is a very painful time in a mothers life, and a dh's also, there really isnt any right words to say to a woman in this sad time in her life.
I still think of my babies, and wonder how they would be today, their personalities, what they would look like, and if they will know me when I pass and meet up with them someday?
It has been many years since I lost my babies, but it still hurts like it was yesterday:( Because I will always feel they should be with me, and not gone.
I have been blessed with 3 beautiful girls, and now a grand-daughter:D

babymaniac
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks so much for this post.I had a miscarriage on New Year's Eve 2002. I became pregnant again and gave birth to a healthy boy in October 2003.Dut to a birth control failure I became pregnant again and I had a miscarriage last month .I know it was too soon to get pregnant again and my son was only a few months old but I had settled to the fact that I would make it work out somehow.So it still really hurt to lost this last baby.What really hurt was that a lot of people seemed glad for me because they said I didn't need another child so soon.:(