PDA

View Full Version : Another Wal-mart complaint(my daughter was injured)

kaylaandbrittanysmom
01-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Here is a copy of the letter I just sent through planet feedback.

I had a problem at my local wal-mart tonight(store number 0767 in Lake City,FL).My daughter(who is 6) was injured by a store display.There was a metal display rack on one of the aisles that was broken.Two pieces of the metal were broken and were sticking out.She brushed up against it and cut (as well as scratched)her arm.There is about a 3 inch mark(I do have pictures I took of it right after it happened).They did take an incident report.I feel like this is an uncalled for accident.The employees should check these racks very often.I hate to think what might have happened if a smaller child had walked by it and possibly injured themselves worse.My daughter is scared and does not want to go back to Wal-mart any more she said.We were told the rack would be removed.

As if that were not bad enough,I had a bad experience at the check-out.We waited about 12 min. in line before actually getting to check-out.I went to use a coupon and was told I could not.It was a manufacter's Buy one get one free Scott bathroom tissue coupon.The co-manager Alan was very rude about it.He tried to tell me that Wal-mart does not honor any Buy one get one free deals.I told him that I knew that they would not match BOGOF,but had always had no problem using coupons for these deals before.I told him I had just used one for a candy bar a few days before that was BOGOF,he said that I could not have.He made me feel like I was trying to rip them off by using a legitimate coupon and refused to take it.

I know there are a lot of people who are now refusing to shop at any Wal-mart due to the recent labor law violation accusations.I am now very seriously considering to stop shopping at any Wal-mart.I know I will pay more,but I do not know how much longer I can continue to support your company.I am very upset over everything that happened during my shopping trip tonight.I want something done about poorly serviced equipment and rude managers who can not give answers that were asked for.

I had an incident at another Wal-mart almost 2 years ago,where the wheels on my shopping cart gave way and my daughters(then 2 & 4),fell out of the cart.Not one manager even came over too see if they were alright(we did take them to E.R. to make sure).Back then,I did finally get a hold of the district manager who said"I will look into it and get back to you".It has been 2 years and he still has not.I am bringing this up to show that it seems like people in your company do not care.I am fed up.

I seriously doubt this letter will reach anyone who cares,but I would at least like a response ASAP(not a computer generated one).I would prefer a phone call on this matter.

Sincerely,
Leslie S.

Sorry this is so long.I am very upset about this.My daughter does not want to go back to Wal-mart(it used to be one of her favorite places).I am going to call corporate also tomorrow.They need to get thier act together!

sugar206
01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
That sucks that your dot got hurt. Walmart needs to respond to you asap.

dealsRus
01-17-2004, 11:10 PM
What do we do when your not the only one. To begin with,about a year ago I was shopping with my friend and her 3 son's. We were walking around when the one boy fell and hit is head on the rack, well guess what? The rack was SHARP at the edge, not rounded off by any means, he cut his head open:eek: I started balling, his head was bleeding all over the place ( I did not know if he would live because of where the cut was ) I am over reacting I think, lol

Well, the manager didn't have much to say.
He was scared she might take action
To top it off we took Shaun ( the kid ) to the
ER right away and they had us waiting, I went up to nurse and said THE KID'S HEAD IS SPILT OPEN AND YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE HIM WAIT.

Next story:

I was at walmart with hubby, we were near TVs on an incap that were hanging WAY off the edge. The tv boxes were way too big for the shelf. Any how one fell off and hit my leg, hurt it real bad, I told the manager, she did not seem to care at all, she said the TVs would be moved:rolleyes:

grrr, what is wrong with these people? What are we to do?

The line thing does not surprise me!! We always have to wait forever, and what is up with the people that run the LAYWAY around there:confused:

Blackberry
01-18-2004, 12:03 AM
You poor dot. I don't shop there often because the nearest one is a ways away, but their prices are so darn good. My sister has boycotted them for a couple of years, but she can afford to shop anywhere she wants.

momfromTN
01-18-2004, 05:53 AM
The only thing I am not understanding is why your child is so terribly traumatized by a cut on the arm from a rack she brushed up against. Maybe the thing just had been broken and no one had noticed yet.

Look, I do think WalMarts are starting to stink, but it sounds strange for a child to react to that extreme. Maybe I am misunderstanding something. I am, however, very sorry your daughter was hurt and WalMArt needs to address the issue.

In the meantime, I would not shop there anymore if I were you.

MamaFairal
01-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by momfromTN
The only thing I am not understanding is why your child is so terribly traumatized by a cut on the arm from a rack she brushed up against. Maybe the thing just had been broken and no one had noticed yet.

That was gonna be my question........how could a cut traumatize her so badly???

I may get flamed for this but watch your kids more closely when ya have them out shopping anywhere :)
JMHO

Dolly<3
01-18-2004, 08:52 AM
I was thinking the same thing. That could have happened anywhere. Is your daughter going to be scared to go everywhere she gets hurts?

Maybe she's picking up on mommy's frustration (cut, long wait, coupons, etc) and that's why she hates walmart now. Of course, she IS only 6 and if it was a BAD cut then I can see why she wouldn't want to go back. It doesn't sound like a bad cut though b/c you didn't take her home to clean & bandaid it right away.

But yes, I think it was walmart's fault she got cut. It could have been anyone, not just a child. It could have been me bumping into it, and I'd be pissed.

kimp67
01-18-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm also sorry your dot got hurt, but that could've happened anywhere. Actually it happened not too long ago in the store I work in, but it was a metal peg & an adult that got cut.
As far as the rudeness, in my opinion that's not acceptable. I would've called the store the next day to speak to the manager on duty & then, if need be, called the district manager.

Dolly<3
01-18-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't know - but if she did, she can say she did. :) I wasn't arguing with her, just going by what she said.

MamaFairal
01-18-2004, 10:24 AM
because the OP stated she took pics of it doesnt mean she went straight home......
If you read on...she states she then waited in line to check out for over 12mins and then wasted time argueing with a clerk and manager..
doesnt sound to me like she raced home to patch up her injured dot does it...

IMO...if my dot had been seriuosly injured in a walmart i would of made them call an ambulance.......didnt sound too serious huh??

NOW ONTO ROUND #2............

kaylaandbrittanysmom
01-18-2004, 10:59 AM
We did go straight home after checking out(I had to get diapers for my little one).Hubby took pics of her arm with our digital camera while we were waiting in line.

I did not expect to get flamed in here.I think some of you are being very rude.It is not a very serious cut,but my daughter freaks at the site of blood.She is very shy and sensitive.Her moods are also pretty erratic(she was just diagnosed with ADD).She is still saying today that she does not want to go back.

For the person who stated for me "to watch my kid",I was watching her,but my 16 month old son had gotten out of the straps in the buggy and was trying to stand up.I had to get to him before he fell out.I was watching her.

I am not wanting anything from wal-mart but to keep a better check on thier equipment.

If you are going to flame,please press the back button,I do not need this today.

Angelseyes28
01-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Come on guys, she came here to vent. Not to ask for parenting advice from all of the perfect parents on BBS.:rolleyes:
And who's to say how her daughter feels. My son was stung by a bee while swinging on his swingset. He is still hesitant about swinging on it and it happened a year ago.

kaylaandbrittanysmom
01-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by angelseyes28
Come on guys, she came here to vent. Not to ask for parenting advice from all of the perfect parents on BBS.:rolleyes:
And who's to say how her daughter feels. My son was stung by a bee while swinging on his swingset. He is still hesitant about swinging on it and it happened a year ago.

Thank you! Each child reacts differently.If he had happened to my 3 year old daughter,she would have cared less.My kids are my life and I try to protect them(without over doing it).I feel bad that it happened and am already blaming myself for it.

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Come on guys, she came here to vent. Not to ask for parenting advice from all of the perfect parents on BBS.

I feel bad that it happened and am already blaming myself for it.

She already feels bad about it. Why don't we support her? Isn't that what this place is about?

momfromTN
01-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Nevermind.

ezmoney163
01-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Excuse me, but I never said I was perfect. I thought I was very polite in my statement to the OP. I don't have kids who freak over a little blood and I wanted to understand what happened a bit more. I was not flaming anyone. Asking someone a question to understand a point made is not flaming.

I do not know what her daughter being tramatized by this experience has to do with her vent. It is not a big deal. My son was attacked by bees over the summer /fall season. he is not even 2, he freaks out now when he sees any bug that is able to fly. I am glad you have kids who do not freak out easily, but for those of us who do, please understand that it is not only tramatizing to the child but also to us as parents that have to see the fear of doing certain things in my childs eyes. (((HUGZ TO OP)))) I totally understand, and I too would tell the company about this.

momfromTN
01-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ezmoney163
I do not know what her daughter being tramatized by this experience has to do with her vent. It is not a big deal. My son was attacked by bees over the summer /fall season. he is not even 2, he freaks out now when he sees any bug that is able to fly. I am glad you have kids who do not freak out easily, but for those of us who do, please understand that it is not only tramatizing to the child but also to us as parents that have to see the fear of doing certain things in my childs eyes. (((HUGZ TO OP)))) I totally understand, and I too would tell the company about this.

Well, she made it sound like the child was bleeding to death and freaking out, yet they went on to the check out. I didn't understand and I just asked a question, and I thought I was very polite. AND...I did express sympathy at the child being hurt. I also stated that I wouldn't shop there if they showed such little concern for my child. So, forget it. Nevermind. I will learn not to ask questions any more. I will do as others on here and just assume.

Angelseyes28
01-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Well, she made it sound like the child was bleeding to death and freaking out

We must be reading totally different threads b/c I didn't get that impression from her at all.
Have a good day:)

momfromTN
01-18-2004, 12:24 PM
We must be reading totally different threads b/c I didn't get that impression from her at all.

My point is that I asked a question and then am accused of flaming. But, ok whatever. You have a good day too.

Dolly<3
01-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kaylaandbrittanysmom
We did go straight home after checking out(I had to get diapers for my little one).Hubby took pics of her arm with our digital camera while we were waiting in line.

I did not expect to get flamed in here.I think some of you are being very rude.It is not a very serious cut,but my daughter freaks at the site of blood.She is very shy and sensitive.Her moods are also pretty erratic(she was just diagnosed with ADD).She is still saying today that she does not want to go back.

I didn't mean to flame you about it. :confused: I even said that I could understand if it was a really bad cut why your dd would be scared to go back. All you have to do is say your dd is sensitive and can't stand the site of blood and I'd understand, like I do now.

ezmoney163
01-18-2004, 03:16 PM

ITA!!! I didn't find that in any of the post.

momfromTN
01-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Umm...I was being sarcastic. The written word is hard to decipher so cut me some slack.

Now, let me begin again. I was NOT flaming the OP, I was only asking a question. I do not understand a child who would freak at a scratch and I was only trying to get a handle on the situation. I was not questioning anyone's parenting. I have 2 kids and neither of them freak over something like that, so naturally it would be a new thing to me. I didn't appreciate being chastised for asking a question. Thats how it felt. So, to the OP, I hope your daughter is better now and I am sorry she was hurt and traumatized by the incident. I hope you get satisfaction you seek from Walmart, and if they don't satisfy you, then I hope you find another good place to shop.

Dolly<3
01-18-2004, 03:29 PM
I understand what you meant momfromTN.

hotwheelstx
01-18-2004, 03:54 PM
I am so sorry for what happened to you and your daughter. This has been a few years ago but here's what happened and what I did to resolve the problem:

I was shopping and went to get some bleach. I p/u a bottle and someone else apparently had opened it (to smell it-it was one of those new scented ones). They didn't screw the cap back on tightly. When I went to pick it up the lid shot upward spraying bleach all over me, clothes, floor.

I dropped EVERYTHING I had and left cart and went to c/s. Told them what happened.

They could of cared less what happened. They did (my insistance) take an incident report, gave me a change of clothes. Someone in security w/camera had seen what happened and came to help at c/s desk. They never said another word about it. This was on a Saturday.

On Monday I called their corp. office and explained what had happened. Within 4 hours someone from corp. was calling me back to take a taped conversation about what happened.

The next day they called again and said they'd obtained a copy of the tape that had shown what happened in the store...(I'm not sure they still do this).

Apologized to no end and offered me $100.00 in compensation for my time, inconvenience, ruined clothes. Also sent me a gc in the amt. of $200.00 to purchase items I'd left in the store....I didn't go to check out w/anything.

Within 5 days from the day of incident I had the gc and check in my hand. Along w/apology letter to take back to Walmart store and show c/s. C/S btw was repremanded for not doing much of anything to assist me.

Call tomorrow and explain what happened. I wouldn't say that my daughter is "traumatized" by it but that she's very uneasy about entering the store and going shopping. Tell them you have photo's and offer to send them (at their expense-should be).

Here's who you need to call:

Call Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., at

1-800-WALMART (1-800-925-6278), from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (CT) Saturday or from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. (CT) Sunday.

To reach the home office, call 479-273-4000.

I'm almost positive I called the home office. It's been awhile ago (about 10 years).

I would also look on your receipt for the name of the store mgr. cashier's number-name. They'll want proof that you were in the actual store.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Linus1223
01-18-2004, 04:23 PM
This is the response to your letter on PF...I agree 100% with what the poster says.

"I can understand complaining about the BOGO coupon.

I dont understand at all why you added the bit about your daughter being "injured". According to you, the store filled out an incident report and removed the broken display which is all they can do. You then reference another incident from two years before where your daughters fell out of a shopping cart and the district manager said he would get back to you but hasnt. What exactly was he supposed to get back to you about? I find it amazing you even bring that up as it is apparent your daughters suffered no injury from the fall because I am sure we would have heard about it if they had.

You say your six year old daughter is now "scared" to go back to Walmart. Ma'am, if your daughter has expressed fear in this manner and you havent sat her down and explained how sometimes accidents occur and that is no reason to stop going places then you are doing her a grave disservice.

You are the child's mother and you have a responsibility to put life's events in perspective; especially when the child is six years old and still learning about how things work. Getting scraped by a piece of metal at a department store is not a major life changing event any more than is falling down and scraping a knee. As the parent, you should be able to determine what is important to your daughter and what is not as well as not using such an unreasonable "fear" as a pawn to make your complaint look more serious than it really is. "----Mr. Helpful.

momfromTN
01-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Linus1223
This is the response to your letter on PF...I agree 100% with what the poster says.

I dont understand at all why you added the bit about your daughter being "injured". According to you, the store filled out an incident report and removed the broken display which is all they can do. You then reference another incident from two years before where your daughters fell out of a shopping cart and the district manager said he would get back to you but hasnt. What exactly was he supposed to get back to you about? I find it amazing you even bring that up as it is apparent your daughters suffered no injury from the fall because I am sure we would have heard about it if they had.

You say your six year old daughter is now "scared" to go back to Walmart. Ma'am, if your daughter has expressed fear in this manner and you havent sat her down and explained how sometimes accidents occur and that is no reason to stop going places then you are doing her a grave disservice.

You are the child's mother and you have a responsibility to put life's events in perspective; especially when the child is six years old and still learning about how things work. Getting scraped by a piece of metal at a department store is not a major life changing event any more than is falling down and scraping a knee. As the parent, you should be able to determine what is important to your daughter and what is not as well as not using such an unreasonable "fear" as a pawn to make your complaint look more serious than it really is. "----Mr. Helpful.

Well said.

iluvmybaby
01-18-2004, 05:19 PM
This is what the BACK button is for, this forum is for people to vent without being judged or flamed, my mama said if you cant say nothing nice DONT say anything at all. This is a safe place for all of us to come and share our frustrations, dont make it to where people are afraid of expressing themselves without abrasive comments:mad:

silvermist
01-18-2004, 05:46 PM

Well I have to admit that I agree. I just didn't understand her being tramatized by an event like that. It's like falling off a swing or falling when rollerblading or running around or something that kids do every day. She seems alright now so that's all that really should matter. Should understand that in life accidents happen. I don't know. I just think that incident could happen ANYWHERE so I don't see how Walmart is particularly at fault for that. I'm not trying to flame you but just sayin that those types of accidents are common with little children and it didn't seem like a huge gash or anything.

But the customer service about the manager acting like that was a bit off since he shouldn't have acted like that and at least if the policy about coupons was true should have explained it politely. Maybe you could complain about the service to them?

Yesterday I had waited in line for a real long time and some woman in front of me had ALL these kids and a shopping cart piled high and dropped Pinesol in line and she had acted so b***** about it all with such an attitude. It's like sheesh your problem since you're the one who had dropped it, not the cash register person. Plus it created alot of nasty fumes and the person behind me started coughing and I got some spilled on me too and she didn't even apologize. That just reminds me of what some previous poster posted about Chlorox.

brumzoo
01-18-2004, 05:59 PM
I hope your daughter is ok. I was going to post a problem here, but after seeing the reaction you got, I will just keep it to myself. Sorry you cannot just post a vent & whine here without getting flamed. I thought that was why this forum was here, to get a much needed kind word when you need one most. I have not seen reactions like you have received in this forum before.

Linus1223
01-18-2004, 06:14 PM
I realize that people are aloud to post at v/w about their frustrations...BUT I though EVERYONE was allowed to express their opinions. I don't have to agree with everyone here and I will voice my opinion if I don't.

I'm sorry if you don't like that.

Edited to correct my spelling mistake since someone felt the need to point it out.

brumzoo
01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
I realize that people are aloud to post at v/w about their frustrations...BUT I though EVERYONE was aloud to express their opinions. I don't have to agree with everyone here and I will voice my opinion if I don't.

I'm sorry if you don't like that.

I see that you are young and maybe do not realize that some people just want a little kindness and not criticism at times. You will hopefully learn that. JMHO

I wasn't asking for any flaming here. Just trying to be supportive to someone who has had a bad day.

BTW, it is spelled allowed.
;)

Linus1223
01-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by brumzoo
I see that you are young and maybe do not realize that some people just want a little kindness and not criticism at times. You will hopefully learn that. JMHO

I wasn't asking for any flaming here. Just trying to be supportive to someone who has had a bad day.

BTW, it is spelled allowed.
;)

I don't see what my age has anything to do with. You're right that it is just your opinion. And mine is just that too.

And thanks for pointing out my spelling mistakes! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MamaFairal
01-18-2004, 06:40 PM
* GO LINUS1223 * GO LINUS1223 *

(doing the go Linus dance....lol)

Linus1223
01-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by MamaFairal
* GO LINUS1223 * GO LINUS1223 *

(doing the go Linus dance....lol)

Haha...Quit egging me on :D :) :cool:

brumzoo
01-18-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't see what my age has anything to do with. You're right that it is just your opinion. And mine is just that too.

Well, you know the saying about opinions...:D

Last edited to add that I am through with the hijacking of this thread b/c someone took my first post personally.

Angelseyes28
01-18-2004, 07:31 PM
I realize that people are aloud to post at v/w about their frustrations...BUT I though EVERYONE was allowed to express their opinions.

You know what, you are absolutely right. And to prove just how right you are, I'm going to tell you my opinion.
My opinion is that you came in this thread for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. It is members such as yourself that cause other members to refrain from posting for fear of being ridiculed or flamed. Enough is enough!
From now on everyone has 3 choices....
1. Reply with courteous comments.
2. Hit the back button.
OR
3. BE BANNED!

And guess what, we can ban members for no apparent reason since that is what we are known for anyhow.

BTW kaylaandbrittanysmom I am sorry but I am closing your thread. Unfortunately it has gotten way out of hand. Feel free to repost it if you want.