PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette and politness, is that a thing of the past???!!

iluvmybaby
01-15-2004, 09:14 AM
:mad: Sometimes I believe that we are living in a world without manners, common sense, or any sembelence of politeness. I see this when I go out, I cant believe the behavior of some adults and some children. Today I witnessed it here, not for the first time, but it REALLY made me angry. A seller called someone a smart butt for pointing out that the SAME item can be found cheaper, in fact $20 cheaper, and her reply is mine is cheaper by four dollars smarty. Now the other person didnt say it as a personal attack against the seller, he/she found it for someplace cheaper from a reputable company.

At work I encounter at least a dozen people that I wonder how they function in this society, not very well. UCK I am not going to continue, dont want to get banned, I am just frustrated as heck. I am polite anc courteous, why is it wrong to expect other people to be the same?

Kelsey1224
01-15-2004, 09:22 AM
ITA

amysusi
01-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Why should you be banned for a comment like that? You're right, society has gotten ruder. Everyone (well, most everyone) is just out for themselves and to make sure they get theirs. THey don't care who they have to step on. I see it all around. They all just want to make sure they look good. It's just like someone told me when I was a teen (and it's stuck ever since): People are mean and point out your faults just in an effort to hide their own.

BBS forums are one of my refuges from those kind of people. :D

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Whatever happened to treat others the way you want to be treated?? Am I too old for remembering that?!?!

dealsRus
01-15-2004, 09:55 AM
I must add I feel this way about going into stores, or places to eat. The people that work there seem so unhappy, and very rude. You know all they want is a paycheck at the end of the week! ( I am not saying everyone is rude, I can understand people that have had a long day, but try to keep a smile on your face ) I know those people go to stores or out to eat too! ( They are human also ) I went to the store the other day and I seen a cute set (mittens,hat,and slippers) well, no one could find a price for it. and there was not another one like it. So I took it up with me to check out and I told the lady. I said this has no bar code or price and she went " WELL, that is going to be kinda hard then!!" Really snotty. I just stood there with a smile and waited while she called someone. She ended up calling a manager and they were comparing it to kids, when it was a BABY item. She looks at me and goes " 10.99 is THAT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU " I was like no thanks. ( because it was on a clearance rack, and there was NONE back there like it ) and then she was TICKED that I did not want it. She was like " Theses are VERY expensive " I ended up buying my other items and before I walked out I asked to talk to a manager. I explained to him how rude she was. This other worker was standing right there. She said I bought a hat on clerance the other day for 1.90 and he looks at me and says " 1.90 is that ok? " I was like yes, thank you.... $1.90, far cry from $10.99 don't ya think?

I wonder if she is in trouble for being so rude:eek:

Sorry to keep talking, but I agree with everyone eles. Why is it, it is so hard to find people that are happy and polite?:mad:

feliciac
01-15-2004, 10:03 AM
I understand everyone has bad days, but if you work serving customers then you need to learn how to deal with those days and still be nice or find another job. I worked in customer service for many years, so I know how it is, but I always tried my best to be polite even to those people you just want to smack. I am not saying everyone's like this, but it seems to be my experience.

redrig
01-15-2004, 10:06 AM
I was raised to always say please, thank you and you're welcome, and that habit has always stuck with me

ttistin
01-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Oh I know what you mean. I am always saying thank you and please and your welcome, dh didnt do it much till he met me :D lol His parents just didnt make them {their kids} learn manners like that. For example dh's older sister has two kids {8 and 6} you never ever hear please, thank you or your welcome out of their mouths, course you dont hear it out of his sis either :D Now our kids always say them. We make sure of it. All 3 of them know that if they want something they say please, and then thank you. When my dad was up from Al over the summer him and and my stepmom couldnt get over their manners. Like they said down in AL that is how just about everyone is raised, yes sir no sir kind of thing. Up here you hardly hear the sir, mam part lol now we dont make them say sir and mam but the manners part yes.

Sorry didnt mean to make this so long, but yes I agree. People just dont use manners anymore. I always remember the Golden Rule:)

amysusi
01-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ttistin
you never ever hear please, thank you or your welcome out of their mouths

Reminds me of DS. When he was just learning to talk, he would say

thankyouwelcome -all one word like that. So cute.

aimefisher
01-15-2004, 11:45 AM
On the other side of this, I took my 2 year old to the store today and when we were done she said " buddy buck please " and once they gave it to her she said " sanks you " ( thank you )

Donnagg123
01-15-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know if this has already been mentioned yet or not, but I wouldn't use what happens online to judge the world. I am not saying you are wrong, because believe you me I have seen tons of rudeness and all. However, I think that most are rude online because of the anonomousness (sp?) of it all. I mean, for all you guys know I could be a sunday school teacher but if I come here I could post all kinds of garbage and none of my off-line friends or family have to know. Sorry so long, but I am thinking that maybe some (not all) are rude because they know people will not see their face. Again, I am definately not saying you are wrong...in fact I agree with you that online or offline rudeness is never an acceptable behavior.

schsa
01-15-2004, 12:16 PM
It all depends on how you were raised. And where you live. Where I live people are basically polite. Strangers help strangers. There are places in the country I would never live again because people are just rude.

Dizzyontheweb
01-15-2004, 12:30 PM
I got into a discussion about something like this in one of my classes. I say thank you, welcome, and yes mam, no sir. We decided it was a Southern thing. Itis getting to be rare here also though. I sometimes get strange looks when I use them.

LuvBigRip
01-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I agree. People seem to get more and more rude all the time.

latestdish
01-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree. I was also raised to say please, thank you, etc. My 21 month old daughter who says hi to people passing by gets ignored 99% of the time, and it hurts her feelings.

fatesfaery
01-15-2004, 02:06 PM
I was raised in the south. I was raised to say, please, thank you, you're welcome, excuse me and yes and no ma'am and sir, you respected your elders, period. My kids were raised the same way, though I'll admit the first time someone other than my kids said ma'am to me I looked around for either my mother or MIL, so it doesn't bother me for someone to not say ma'am to me. Both my kids have had teachers who refused to be called ma'am and punished kids for doing it.

I'm also the kind of person who will talk to little kids that smile or talk to me, but these days with things the way they are, I'm always a little worried how a child's parent is going to react.

latestdish
01-15-2004, 04:07 PM
This Yankee outright married a Dixie for that reason. I admired his politeness and charm. OK, that and many other reasons. :)

JENNIFERCATLADY
01-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I went Akron, OH a couple months ago for training at work, boy did I make a BIG mistake. One of the ladies asked me a question and I had the audicity to say "Yes Ma'am" (just the way I was raised) and she FLIPPED out on me for calling her ma'am. Oops!

Unicornmom77
01-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by latestdish
I agree. I was also raised to say please, thank you, etc. My 21 month old daughter who says hi to people passing by gets ignored 99% of the time, and it hurts her feelings.

A simple Hi would be nice, But noooooooooooooooo
lol

My kids say HI HI HI HI HI HIHIHIHIHIHI LOUDER AND LOUDER until they ppl are to far away or they finnially answer! lol

Kyla Kym
01-16-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by fatesfaery
I was raised in the south. I was raised to say, please, thank you, you're welcome, excuse me and yes and no ma'am and sir, you respected your elders, period. My kids were raised the same way,
I think most people do like being called ma'am and sir. It shows you respect them. Well at least in my books it sounds more respectful. :D

I have had men take their hats off before when they say hi to me, (even had a few bow when they said Hi, Ms. Darla, even though I know they are playing) it still just makes me feel all giddy inside. LOL :p...I just eat that stuff up! I love manners and try to treat people with the same respect they show me. What does it hurt to be polite. :)

fatesfaery
01-16-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
I think most people do like being called ma'am and sir. It shows you respect them. Well at least in my books it sounds more respectful. :D

I have had men take their hats off before when they say hi to me, (even had a few bow when they said Hi, Ms. Darla, even though I know they are playing) it still just makes me feel all giddy inside. LOL :p...I just eat that stuff up! I love manners and try to treat people with the same respect they show me. What does it hurt to be polite. :)

Your post reminded me of something else. We called friends parents either Mr/Mrs...last name or Mr/Ms ....first name, we would have never called an adult by their first name.....we also had to call our aunts and uncles aunt or uncle so and so. My nephews and niece just call me Donna, my mom doesn't like it a bit either, she even asked me why I didn't put aunt and uncle on their Christmas presents.

My parents were both big on manners, but we also got lots of compliments on our manners when we were kids.

zitra
01-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by fatesfaery
Your post reminded me of something else. We called friends parents either Mr/Mrs...last name or Mr/Ms ....first name, we would have never called an adult by their first name.....we also had to call our aunts and uncles aunt or uncle so and so. My nephews and niece just call me Donna, my mom doesn't like it a bit either, she even asked me why I didn't put aunt and uncle on their Christmas presents.

My parents were both big on manners, but we also got lots of compliments on our manners when we were kids.

I have always told my children to call their friend's parents/our neighbors buy Mr. & Mrs. But my neighbors, and their friend's parents are tell my son's something like "now none of that Mr. stuff around here, call me Dennis, or call me Terry" etc. My son even had a teacher with a hard to prounouce last name, os he had the kids call her by her first...

feliciac
01-16-2004, 07:59 AM
I guess I must be in the minority here, lol, cause I don't want anyone to call me m'am. I am not that old and I guess after being raised in the military it just sounds way too formal. I am not a formal person and I don't mind anyone calling me by my first name, it's me. And I have a tendency not to answer when people say m'am, not because I am rude, just because it's not something I am accustomed to.

Don't get me wrong though, I love having doors held open for me and such. Heck, this Cali girl married a southern boy partly for that reason. I remember the first time I visited Arkansas, I told my cousin I was taking some of the guys home with me to teach our guys how to treat a girl, lol.

AngelGrim
01-16-2004, 06:59 PM
ITA