PDA

View Full Version : Will YOU Try 'Em ? "Low Carb Doritos & Tostitos"

Jolie Rouge
01-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Frito-Lay introduces low-carb chips

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-RTO-PLS&idq=/ff/story/0002/20040114/141247891.htm

NEW YORK, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Snack foods company Frito-Lay said Wednesday it is introducing two new types of chips to capitalize on the popularity of low-carbohydrate diets.

The two new products, called Doritos Edge and Tostitos Edge, will cut out 60 percent of the carbohydrates that are in regular Doritos and Tostitos.

Frito-Lay, a unit of PepsiCo Inc. , has already eliminated trans fats from its brands. Trans fats, which give products a longer shelf life, have been linked to heart disease.

The new chips will use soy proteins and fiber as substitute ingredients, the company said in a statement. Both Tostitos Edge and Doritos Edge will have six net carbohydrates, 10 grams of protein, and three grams of fiber.

The low-carb craze, popularized by the high-protein Atkins diet, has food companies rolling out new products to jump on the bandwagon.

Anglo-Dutch food group Unilever said on Wednesday it has launched a variety of low-carb products in the U.S. markets under existing brand names such as Ragu, Wish-Bone, Skippy, Lipton and Lawry's.

Fast food chains McDonald's Corp. and Burger King revamped their menus to cater to customers counting their carbs.

The alcohol industry is also taking notice. Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc.'s low-carb Michelob Ultra beer has been a big profit driver for the past year and Adolph Coors Co. is rolling out Aspen Edge beer to take a part of the health-conscious market.

Spirits companies such as Diageo Plc. are using their advertising to point out that many of their drinks have always been low carbohydrate offerings.

Doritos Edge is currently being tested in Phoenix, and both products
will be available across the United States in May.

01/14/04 14:11

Cherbear90
01-15-2004, 01:36 AM
I will probably try them. Eventhough, I'm not a big fan of these low-carb diets. They do put some fiber and soy protein in them to take the place of some of the carbs. That's good. I don't watch the quantity of carbs but the quality. I choose to eat foods with healthy carbs(whole grains, legumes, fruits, veggies. Some people lead a life of limiting carbs that I believe isn't healthy, even if it is short-term. Suzanne Somers, a big proponent of limiting carbs, developed breast cancer. I'm not an expert, but I do have a science background and have read alot about this. Basically, our bodies need healthy carbs to help get rid of the excess toxins that accumalate from the breaking down of proteins. If absent, these toxins could lead to cancer. I've also heard of people on these diets experiencing hormonal imbalances. Soooooooo... yes, I'd try them but NOT in conjunction with a low-carb diet.

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-15-2004, 05:06 AM
yep,I will

MistyWolf
01-15-2004, 05:32 AM
I'm sure I will :)

captorquewrench
01-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Nope.

Shancopp
01-15-2004, 07:22 AM
yep......after induction.

Dolly<3
01-15-2004, 07:27 AM
I will depending on how much fat is in them. If they're low-carb, high-fat, no.

texasgander
01-15-2004, 09:20 AM
I will!

PrncsNYC
01-15-2004, 11:27 AM
as a veggie, fiber and soy protein are the things I look for in products anyway so heck yaeh I'll try them. I'm not carbophobic but I do try to watch them.

MsLynn
01-15-2004, 11:53 AM
ok i posted in here yesterday and its GONE....... WHAT HAPPENED??

now to repeat

i will probably try them, since i love the WOW chips, that have little/no fat

freeplease
01-15-2004, 02:33 PM
like the diet potato chips that caused anal leakage, I think I'm gonna pass. lol Those were soooo nasty. Sorry if this is too graphic, but if Dan Rather can say it, I guess I can too. :D