PDA

View Full Version : A Medical Question..........

tsquared
01-09-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a medical question i would liek to see if any one knows the answer to?? For the last day and a half i have felt like someone has kicked me in the ribs........very sore.....
I have not lifted anything out of the ordinary........i have not been hit with anything..........
I have been told it is a pinched nerve.....i dont think this can be cause it hurts when i laugh, cough, squat down......etc.......
Nowcan a pinched nerve cause this and if so how?

MsLynn
01-09-2004, 06:25 PM
A HARD COUGHING FIT OR A SNEEZE CAN CAUSE YOU TO HURT LIKE THAT

Quaker_Parrots
01-09-2004, 06:26 PM
could also be pleurisy which is an infection of the lining of your chest cavity, and very painful

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/139/34664

christianw27
01-09-2004, 06:29 PM
WHICH SIDE IS IT T?

annie169
01-09-2004, 06:30 PM
T, is the pain just under your ribcage??? and (not to get too personal but) are you peeing a lot, not as much as usual???

evrita
01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
You might have pulled a muscle and yes a pinched nerve can do that sometimes it makes you feel like yu dont want to breathe. When I get the plueracy It feels more like I cant breathe but it hurts but lungs and if it is left untreated too long it can spread to your arms. It you take ibuprofin it will help it. I have probally bored you enough

twinkiesmom
01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
First thing I thought of was kidney infection or something. If it does hurt to p, try downing some cranberry juice, you may have a bladder infection.

NINK
01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
What is costochondritis (Tietze's Syndrome)?
Costochondritis is a syndrome of chest wall pain that is due to inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. Also called Tietze's Syndrome, costochondritis means that the area of the junction of the rib bones, breastbone, and the associated cartilage has become inflamed.
Sponsored Links
Car Accident Broken Bones
Get legal help for Broken Bones. Claims info for treatments & care.
CarAccidentLawyer.net/broken-bones

Knee Pain Fix
With a Work Out That Will Make You Injury Free
www.RunningTough.com

Broken Bone Injury Law
Get legal help for your accident. Claims info for treatments & care.
broken-bone-center.com

Depending on the extent of the inflammation, this condition can be quite painful.

What causes costochondritis?
Most commonly the cause of costochondritis is classified as 'idiopathic,' or unknown. This means that there is no identifiable cause for the condition. This does not imply that idiopathic costochondritis is any less painful of a condition than if the cause can be identified. The most common known cause of costochondritis is traumatic injury. For example, a car accident where the driver's chest strikes the steering wheel can cause costochondritis by injuring the ribs and cartilage on the front of the chest. Viral infections, usually upper respiratory infections, have also been identified as a cause of costochondritis. The most frequently affected age group is young adults between 20 and 40 years old.

What are the symptoms of costochondritis?
The most common symptom is pain over the front of the upper chest (the area of the sternum). Because of serious conditions, most importantly conditions related to heart problems, costochondritis should only be diagnosed after excluding other more serious problems. Costochondritis pain is usually worsened by activity or exercise, and can also be severe when taking a deep breath. Often simply touching the area involved will be extremely painful for the patient. Because of the many nerves that branch away from the chest, pain may be experienced in the shoulder or arms as well. When called Tietze's Syndrome, the pain is accompanied by redness and or swelling in the areas most tender.

tsquared
01-09-2004, 06:45 PM
It is my left side........it is right under the rib cage and no other abnormalities.......other than the ones i was born with......those cant be helped.....lol

DAVESBABYDOLL
01-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by tsquared
It is my left side........it is right under the rib cage and no other abnormalities.......other than the ones i was born with......those cant be helped.....lol

Sorry,had to laugh,you are such a dork lol

tsquared
01-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by DAVESBABYDOLL
Sorry,had to laugh,you are such a dork lol
LOL thanks Sheila i laughed at this and well can you say wince...lol:D
But i do prefer GOOBER.........:D

annie169
01-09-2004, 07:32 PM
not to freak you out, but it could be gallstones. I'm not a medical professional, but I play one on BBS....hahahahaha!! Seriously, my mom had gallstones and had her gallbladder removed. But, if all you have is pain and no other urologic problems, then, I dont have much else to tell you. If you do get nausea, fever, chills, get to a doctor or emergency room quick!!....or it could be your spleen too (after thought..tg for the edit button)

gonzo
01-09-2004, 07:52 PM
I pulled a muscle once and had the same pain, hurts to laugh, cough, sneeze (that was the worst)lay down etc... I had to sleep proped up with pillows. All I did was turned around to fast trying to catch the dog before she attacked the cat.
At first the pain was so bad it hurt to breath but then after the pain shots at the hospital, it was much better :D The doctor said I pulled a muscle right at the top of my ribs. It took about 2 weeks to heal.
It takes ALOT of pain to get me to go to the hospital but when I looked at dh and said hospital, he knew it was bad. So take it very easy and don't do anything you shouldn't.

kriskay
01-09-2004, 07:57 PM
not to freak you out, but it could be gallstones >>> Annie169

I had gallstones and my gallbladder removed and it was on my right side. So I think you are safe that it isn't that unless you are one of the rare people whose organs are backwards.

tsquared
01-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by kriskay

I had gallstones and my gallbladder removed and it was on my right side. So I think you are safe that it isn't that unless you are one of the rare people whose organs are backwards.
I was born backwards......does that count...
At least that is the only reason i can figure out for the Doctor spanking my butt after i was born......:eek:

fatesfaery
01-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by kriskay

Right side here too.

ajksmom
01-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I have had inflammation in the lining of my lungs before that sounds alot like what you are talking about.
This is what I found on WebMD

Pleurisy

What Is Pleurisy?

Pleurisy is a term used to describe the chest pain associated with inflammation of the pleura. The pleura consists of two thin layers of tissue. One layer lines the inside chest wall and the other covers the lungs. The tiny space between the two layers is called the pleural cavity. This cavity normally contains a small amount of lubricating fluid that allows the two layers to slide over each other when a person breathes.

When the pleura becomes inflamed (pleuritis), the layers rub together, resulting in the pain of pleurisy. Fluid may build up in the pleural cavity (pleural effusion) and may increase the severity of the pain. The pain of pleurisy usually starts suddenly and often is described as a stabbing pain.

The pain may be continuous, but it usually gets worse when the person inhales. The person may avoid breathing deeply to prevent the pain.
The pain may be only on one side of the chest. It may radiate to a shoulder or the abdomen.
The pain is usually worse with coughing, sneezing, or sudden moves.

Does this describe it any at all?

and more:Most cases of pleurisy can be treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and pain medication. In severe cases, prescription cough or pain medications may be needed. The pain may be relieved by lying on the painful side or pressing a pillow against it.

When I had mine all they gave me was prescription Ibuprofen which is equal to 4 200mg Ibuprofen tabs.

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!!