PDA

View Full Version : I'm about done with ebay

flute
01-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I got charged 2.98 (or so) to ship something that cost her .37 to ship!

I am so sick of this!

latestdish
01-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm surprised, because I've gotten some quality things there cheaply.

Kelsey1224
01-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Was there packaging. They can charge a moderate shipping and 'handling' charge. For example...did the seller have to use a padded envelope, etc.

I'm with latestdish...I've gotten good deals through eBay and although the s/h can be a pain, I factor that into the cost. If it's still cheaper, then it is worth it to me.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

harloo
01-09-2004, 12:43 PM
If you think shipping is too high on any certain item, then you should NEVER bid on it. Otherwise, you accept the terms. I know it's not fair, but that's the way business is done on ebay.

You could email the seller and tell them that you don't appreciate them overcharging you shipping, and see how that works out. If you make up a bit of fuss then they might give you a refund on shipping.

:) HTH

ammandy
01-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Hard to form an opinion without knowing what the listing said. If the auction stated $2.98 to ship, then you agreed to it when you bid. If it did not say, you should have asked before you bid.

zitra
01-09-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't think unless the auction said "actual shipping", that there was anything wrong with what the seller did. Really in most cases you are not just paying to ship..you are paying for packaging materials, and handling charges..That is how alot of people make their money on ebay.

ezmoney163
01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
ITA with Zitra. I know I usually add 50 cents or so for my gas to run to the PO. I only started this because it was everyday I was going and every other day I was putting gas in my car.

Danny
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Cost of doing buisiness. Did you inquire before you bid about the shipping? I always try to nail that down before I decide if it is worth the total price.
Sorry you were unhappy with your deal

Njean31
01-09-2004, 05:18 PM
i add a little extra too for packing, shipping, and gas back and forth to the post office. i clearly state my price in the beginning.

llbriteyes
01-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Not much for me to say, but I agree with these posters. I have to buy boxes/envelopes, "peanuts" or other packing material, labels, etc., not to even mention my time. At one time, Ebay was my JOB.

Linda

mklbjk
01-09-2004, 08:10 PM
I have always gotten great deals on ebay. Also some sellers can sell so cheaply because of the "handling" charge - the tax consequences on net profit are more favorable for the seller as the shipping and handling is considered an expense. Anything that saves me the time, gas and hassle of shopping is a good thing for me.

sara1234
01-10-2004, 09:26 AM
I know how you feel, I just recently won an auction that had a set rate of $4.00 shipping

So I figured that I would ask if that was priority shipping, and he said that it was..

So I won the auction and when I sent my $ I left a note saying this was for my item and priority shipping like we agreed on,

A few days later I got my item in the mail.. He only paid .60 cents to ship it!

Oh well there is nothing I can do. I can't even leave him a negative, I am sure he will leave me one for leaving him one.. Not worth it .. Oh well :(

flute
01-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
Was there packaging. They can charge a moderate shipping and 'handling' charge. For example...did the seller have to use a padded envelope, etc.

if there was a padded envelope, I would not be as mad, cus I know those cost almost a dollar, but this was a regular business sized envelope, with the 2 items inserted. Nothing more, nothing less.

.50 for gas? You are kidding me?

Why do I bother?

tamaralynn007
01-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I know the feeling!!! There have been times The shipping was quoted as say...5.95. Then here comes your package in a manilla envelope with the postage CLEARLY imprinted on the envelope saying 1.98!! There was no Handling and Packaging either!! I think this is just a way for the seller to make some more money!!! Especially if they didn't get the price that they hoped they would!! And if that was the case, they should of put a RESERVE price on the item-so they would get the money that they wanted from it!!!

harloo
01-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by sara1234
I know how you feel, I just recently won an auction that had a set rate of $4.00 shipping

So I figured that I would ask if that was priority shipping, and he said that it was..

So I won the auction and when I sent my $ I left a note saying this was for my item and priority shipping like we agreed on,

A few days later I got my item in the mail.. He only paid .60 cents to ship it!

Oh well there is nothing I can do. I can't even leave him a negative, I am sure he will leave me one for leaving him one.. Not worth it .. Oh well :(

If he told you he was going to send you priority then you should hold him too that promise.

KarlaJorge
01-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Well I have seen zillion auctions that starting bid is only 0.01 (one cent) but then look at the shipping cost => 14.99 or something like that and you know it doesn't cost that to ship that particular item but you also know that no one would sell such particular item for 0.01 (one cent), but it's their way of being sure that they don't lose and make you think you are getting a deal, it's just tricks of the business. :rolleyes:

faygokraze
01-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Ive about had it with EBAY also. Non-payers and people that charge to much for shipping.

The one thing that gets me are the scammers!!! The people that say they never recieved a package or that parts were missing!! Ive started charging the price for delivery confirmation and insurance in every auction. Its gotten that bad. Of course I dont do too much business on there anyway!!

houseoconfusion
01-18-2004, 12:54 PM
REPORT THEM! I'm so sick of it! A handling fee is one thing, ex: for something in a manilla envelope $1 is more than enough. If they need peanuts, etc. maybe $3 but I got so ripped I went nuts! I saw a post for dvd's and shipping was $3.85, well she had alot of them and it clearly said will combine shipping on all auctions to save you money. So seeing that shipping is $3.85 (we all know priority shipping is $3.85) I assumed she was an "honest" seller and bought 6 dvd's, again assuming that she would put them all in the same priority box and shipping would be under $6, WRONG!!! She charged me $20 to ship them 6 dvds! Needless to say I was furious, so I contacted ebay, they told me to go along with it pay her the shipping costs and then they investigated her for fraud! Well she did herself in good, she put them in a cearl box shipped media mail,NO package material what-so-ever, NO delivery confirmation, NO insurance! For a grand total of get this $2.68! Please explain to me what she used the other $17.32 for? Gosh even if she bought the cearl just for the box this would have still be over $13 for her gas to go to the post office! It is illegal to inflate shipping/handling charges so dramatically. Ebay said it is a way to get out of paying final value fees and it is fraud. They said a reasonable fees is fine but IF someone complains you must be able to PROVE every PENNY of that Handling fee. so be very careful, as I know for a fact she is having to pay more for her final value fees for these auctions I won and she is banned from ebay.

KarlaJorge
01-26-2004, 03:40 AM
That is exactly what I mean when they place a starting bid at 0.01 cent and very high exagerated shipping costs, it's to get to pay the least on final value fees.

momfromTN
01-26-2004, 07:16 AM
I UNDERESTIMATED the cost of shipping on an item I just sold, but I had to eat it, because I put it in the ad. Lesson learned. But, if I had accidently overcharged, I would have returned the amount.

flute
01-26-2004, 07:54 AM
houseofconfusing: omg :eek:

I saw an auction, man I wanted it too $1.00 but to ship was $19.37 for 30 pieces of clothing. :( I would've bought it too, but I just thought "no don't think so" (clothing for isabel, of course) would've been a good deal for me in the end, but I'm just thinking no way, what a darn shame :(

gloria96
01-26-2004, 08:48 AM
I can understand a few extra charges, but most of them are just plain ridiculous. I bought a barbie rapunzel doll at christmas time because we couldnt find one here. All the sellers had basically the same bid price, but the shipping charges were outragous. I finally ended up going with a seller that had 8.99 charge. Hated to do that even, but my neice wanted this barbie so bad.

I have read on the discussion the boards that you have to be careful, that if a seller says they combine shipping, some just mean that they will put it in same package and still charge you full shipping charge for each and every auction.

Sometimes ebay just S**KS