PDA

View Full Version : Have you recently updated your Norton Anti-virus?

adair
01-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Have you recently updated your Norton Anti-virus?

Have you noticed an odd slow down at certain times? Like when trying to launch MS Word, right-clicking icons, disk access, - that sort of thing? I know I did, so I went looking and discovered that Norton had an update that'll cause a computer to make like it's a 286.

OK, Norton is actually blaming VeriSign, due to slow server problems. Here's the whole scoop as quoted from Symantec:

"Situation:

Symantec is currently investigating reported computer slow downs and instability. This issue appears to be related to VeriSign receiving an unusual number of requests by Windows-based clients to download a certificate revocation list (CRL) on January 7-8, 2004. This increase in traffic resulted in intermittent VeriSign CRL server availability. For security purposes, Symantec products routinely verify the integrity of system components and at times were unable to achieve the authentication they were seeking due to the unavailability of VeriSign's server -- therefore customers experienced delays and instabilities. Symantec and other vendors are cooperatively working with VeriSign to mitigate this situation"

Blah, Blah, Blah. Strange how this happens ONLY if you ran the update...

Oh well, even the best of 'em can have occasional problems. Until this is fixed, here's a temporary work around:

1. Open up Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and then the Advanced tab on the resulting screen.

2. Scroll down to the Security heading, then UNcheck the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" checkbox.

Hit apply and your computer springs back to its old self.

I received this information in email this morning and thought I would pass it along

Dolly<3
01-09-2004, 09:11 AM
OMG thank you! I've been having that same problem lately and I had no idea why!!

mom2cvam
01-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Thank YOU!!! My computer is running so much faster now!! I was starting to get a bit worried. lol TY!!! :)

sinned96
01-09-2004, 10:35 AM
mine was unchecked all ready

rlynn411
01-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks so much. I had done everything trying to speed this laptop with no luck. DH kept saying what did you do? As if I need to try to mess up any of uor computers. Did what you suggested and now its back to being quick. Reminded of the days before we had the cable modem!

tsquared
01-09-2004, 06:49 PM
thanks this helped me tons