PDA

View Full Version : So Cold!

Blackberry
01-06-2004, 09:43 PM
We got about 1 foot of snow today and I am so COLD!

Dh won't let me use the heating system in our apartment because they are baseboard heaters and he says they cause fires and are too dangerous to use. We have a fireplace and he builds fires for us in the evening, but they don't even heat up the whole room. During the day I freeze to death huddled under blankets until he gets home. I'd have to buy a ton of logs everyday if I were to burn them day and evening. I am so angry with dh!

The weather is so bad here right now, the school's are cancelled due to the snow and now we've got freezing rain comeing down so I'll probably have them home again tomorrow. Plus dh wasn't even able to make it into the apartment complex today because the road that leads into our complex is steep. He (and tons of other residents) had to park down below on the shoulder of the main road. Ugh. Anyway, dh will probably be home from work tomorrow so maybe he will light a fire in the morning.

Well I need to get back to my spot on the couch....I'm freezing and my blankets are waiting for me. :mad:

Kyla Kym
01-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Bless your heart, I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you have blowers on your fireplace? Maybe if you set a fan in front of it it will help pull the heat out into the room. That's what I do since my heater doesn't have a blower on it. It really helps allot. I also put blankets up over doorways to rooms I don't use so I don't have to heat them. It's cold here tonight to. brrrrrrrr...

gobs101
01-06-2004, 10:28 PM
I have baseboard heaters in my house and have been using them for 15 years with no problems. If he feels they are so unsafe he/you should call the maintaince folks and have them checked out.Burning wood seems a lot more dangerous to me than turning on the heater. jmo though. Hope you get warm soon.

okie
01-06-2004, 11:52 PM
It's been cold here too.Of course one day it's 75 and the next it's 30.

girlwithsoul
01-07-2004, 11:09 AM
If they're unsafe it's the apartment's job to fix them. You are living in unlivable conditions right now if you ask me. I would DIE with no heat and I live in TEXAS where it's warm. PLEASE get some heat for yourself.

schsa
01-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Your husband is out of his mind. Turn the heat on and be warm. If he wants to stay at home and freeze then let him but you need heat.

What is he thinking?? Is he just being frugel and trying to save some money?

tmesser
01-07-2004, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blackberry
[B][b]We got about 1 foot of snow today and I am so COLD!

So what part of Washington do you live in? I am freezing here. we have the freezing rain and lots of snow. no local schools closed here but my daughter sure wished they were. We depend on oil to heat our house and are almost out. suppose to have some delivered today but they have been so backed up. stay warm

freeplease
01-07-2004, 11:38 AM
needs to put you up in a nice warm hotel. Is his workplace heated? Sheesh, I've never heard of baseboards being dangerous. I've lived with them, and survived to tell the tale. ;)

turbob
01-07-2004, 11:40 AM
I had baseboard heaters for years and NEVER had a problem. Turn them on! It is freezing here - too cold to snow. When I was waiting for the bus this morning is was 1 degree.

feliciac
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
If your hubby thinks the basboard heaters are too expenseive, then he needs to get you something else. It is just wrong that you have to stay under blankets, especially when children are involved. You can buy room heaters, but they do get expensive to use. After using them for a while, he will probably change his mind. And if not, then put your foot down. You are the one in the house not him and you (and the children wen there is no school) need to be comfortable.

amysusi
01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I think if baseboard heaters were as dangerous as he says, that apartment would have burned down long before you were there.

heymom
01-07-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't know ..... This just sounds wrong to me. HE won't let you use the heat.It is there ,it works,use it.This just seems very controlling to me,maybe even abusive.:( IMO

Blackberry
01-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by tmesser

So what part of Washington do you live in? I am freezing here. we have the freezing rain and lots of snow. no local schools closed here but my daughter sure wished they were. We depend on oil to heat our house and are almost out. suppose to have some delivered today but they have been so backed up. stay warm

I live in Auburn, part-way between Tacoma and Seattle. Yesterday we got nearly 6 inches of snow & then in the evening the freezing rain started. Now if it is not ice then it is slush. All of the bare tree branches are encased in an inch of ice----beautiful but dangerous. We are so lucky to have not lost our power due to tree's & branches falling on power lines. Thousands are not so lucky.

Regarding dh and the baseboard heaters....if it get's so cold again in the apartment when he is at work then I'm going to use the heat just enough to take the chill out of the place. He'll never know. He's a mail carrier with USPS so he is outside in all kinds of weather so it is not like he is snug as a bug all day. When he comes home to a cold house=-=it feels warm to him.

Oh well.......thanks for the warm wishes.

wyozozo
01-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Eliza
Its going to cost a lot more to fixed busted, frozen pipes than it would be to raise your heat a notch or two. Also, I have never heard of baseboard heaters being any more dangerous than any others - for pete's sake, you are at home, you would see if something caught fire. I would tell him I was turning the darn things on and if tehre was a fire at least I would be warm!
Sorry, that just sounds cruel and unusual to me. Probably it would be a different story if he was at home during the day freezing his ---- off.

My thoughts exactly!! Just make sure you vacuum them out first, if you haven't used them they will smell terrible the first time you turn up the heat!

Dragonfairie
01-08-2004, 05:33 PM
We just installed baseboard heaters in our home last year, they are so nice and the only thing that would be considered unsafe is if your curtains are too long or the furniture is closer then (I believe 6") away. We had oil furnace b4 and that felt unsafe to me.

kimp67
01-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Won't LET you use the heat?....I better hit the back button now.....