PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Mac&Cheese?

Ladytiger
12-28-2003, 12:40 PM
Do any of you have a good recipe?
I have leftover ham, and thought that would be great with it~TIA

MamaFairal
12-28-2003, 12:55 PM
i actually love the store brand mac-cheese with the cheese you SQUEEZE out of the package.......add chunked ham.....walah!

girlwithsoul
12-28-2003, 12:59 PM
My boyfriend just makes it by sight. He uses some Velveeta, some cheddar, and some milk. He uses whatever pasta he feels like and combines the cheese in the microwave. Pours it over the cooked pasta in a casserole dish and bake. He continually checks on it and adds milk as necessary. When it's baked he turns on the broiler to make the top a crispy brown.

He's the cook, not me, but I hope that helps. It's pretty easy and I've actually made it before without screwing it up LOL.

Good luck!!

DBackFan
12-28-2003, 01:03 PM
I had some once that had Italian bread crumbs in it and it was so good!

fatesfaery
12-28-2003, 01:49 PM
I cook my macaroni, drain it, put it back in the pot with a little butter, beat 1 egg, add about a cup of milk to the beaten egg. In a baking dish layer macaroni, grated or sliced sharp cheddar cheese, pour 1/2 egg/milk mixture over it, add second layer. Bake at 350 about 30-45 minutes.
You can cover it for gooey cheese or leave it uncovered if you want your cheese browned and crunchy.

If you're going to add ham, I would add it to the noodles after they were cooked,before adding the egg/milk and cheese.

I've also used a white cream sauce made with corn starch instead of the egg/milk mixture to make Mac n cheese. DS hated eggs and wouldn't eat Mac and cheese made with them.

YankeeMary
12-28-2003, 01:52 PM
wow I made homemade mac n cheese for lunch today...I just add butter to noodles and milk and bunches and bunches of cheese...occassionaly I will bake it but didn't today either way is great.

nanajoanie
12-28-2003, 02:17 PM
I make it all the time. Boil a small box of elbow macaroni. Drain. Add 1 can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter (Parkay). I also add some shredded cheddar cheese and a little salt and pepper. My secret ingredient is a couple of dashes of Texas Pete. You could add your favorite spices - onion, garlic, Italian, etc. Improvise:):)

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-28-2003, 03:21 PM
boil some elbow noodles,drain and add cut up velveeta,mix till creamy...yummy! and easy :)

adair
12-28-2003, 09:34 PM
I cook my macaroni until it is still slightly tacky and then drain it.

Cut up cheese into cubes and place in a buttered casserole dish. Stir in the drained macaroni, salt, pepper, and enough milk to cover.

Bake at 350 degrees 45-50 minutes or until top is bubbly and slightly starting to brown.

Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes before serving

schsa
12-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Go to the Southern Living web site. They had the best Mac and Cheese recipes in their magazine this month and I know that they will post them on the web.

cch
12-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by nanajoanie
I make it all the time. Boil a small box of elbow macaroni. Drain. Add 1 can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter (Parkay). I also add some shredded cheddar cheese and a little salt and pepper. My secret ingredient is a couple of dashes of Texas Pete. You could add your favorite spices - onion, garlic, Italian, etc. Improvise:):)

OOOH! Thank you! I grabbed what I thought was 4 cans of cream of chicken soup off the shelf at the store & somehow a can of the cheese soup was one of those cans. I've been wondering what to do with it!

ocvachick
12-29-2003, 03:35 PM
my grandma uses chez whiz in the jar.... milk, lots of pepper and butter.... tops with sharp cheddar. all done by taste

dcut4
12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
One of the recipes I use for leftover ham. not mac and cheese but potatoes and cheese, soooo good!

4 cups cooked cubed potatoes
2 cups ham cubed
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup mayo
1/3 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

mix all together and bake at 350 for abot 30-40 min or until hot and bubbly

KILLZ_IT
12-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Edited to say:

Sorry, I have cheese in my ears, gotta go to the DR....