PDA

View Full Version : I hate to sound like a scrooge, but........

cathych
12-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Have you every seen Xmas lights that were so TACKY that you just about lost it every time you went by their house? There is a whole row of people just down the street from us that put up enough lights to lights to light up a small town (and I am not exaggerating), one house even decorates their satellite dish-they still have one of those monster ones in their front yard. Another house decorates their entire yard in plastic manger cows.....it almost sounds hilarious if it wasn't so ridicioulous looking; there are even cows in the trees. Another house does swans, don't ask me what swans are supposed to mean in the holiday season....yesterday I counted over 50 lit swans of every shape & size, & this is for a neighborhood with small houses, the square footage of all the homes in our neighborhood is about 1300 square feet or less!

fatesfaery
12-24-2003, 11:38 PM
My SIL's ex-husband's family is like that. They actually cover themselves in lights and stand out in the yard at night....People call them "The Light People" and actually come from miles around to see them. The first year she was married to my brother we drove through there, she noticed a child standing on the porch, covered in lights. She whipped out her cell phone and called her ex and screamed at him to get Brandon (their son) off that porch and out of those lights. Turned out it was a mannequin, not Brandon.

Lori63
12-25-2003, 03:51 AM
We have one house on our street that is totally tacky-everyone is talking about them. They have all the blow up things,etc.-it really is just done horribly. The rest of the neighborhood is mostly beautiful and elegantly done. They are very nice people, but it is really horrible. I guess everyone has the right to do it the way they want.

ebgreen74
12-25-2003, 10:32 AM
I think its all in the spirit of having a good time. Happy Holidays

zitra
12-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Yes, I have seen some "over" decorated houses..but nothing enough to make me upset, or want to lose it..guess the people living in those houses have different tastes than mine..

suziebee20
12-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Where we live there is this one small circle of houses where almost everyone goes all out. It's been a "famous" Christmas touring spot for years. They make wooden cutouts, and this one guy has a new theme just about every year. This year he has 99 wooden dalmation puppys and then the two big ones, they are all over his lawn, roof, etc... Some of them are super cheesy, but it's all good fun. :)

WitchyGurl
12-25-2003, 06:22 PM
One year a friend of mine and myself got some old trophies at an auction for free and we've thought about handing them out as "Tacky" awards for very bad decorations! I wonder of the winners would take the hint!
So far we haven't passed out the trophies, but there are several houses around here in heated competition without realizing it LOL:D

Crueheadchick
12-25-2003, 11:14 PM
These people just down the road from us only do 1 thing. They have huge letters in bright red lights that spell
NOEL
it is a huge distraction at night cause driving down the road its all red! It also wouldnt be so bad if they did anything else with it.

:rolleyes:

GeThang
12-25-2003, 11:25 PM
LOL. There is a motel in my town that goes WAYYYY out. It looks absolutely ridiculous. I will have to get a digital and take pictures, then you'll see what I mean.

archaic
12-26-2003, 05:41 PM
People just don't realize how dangerous Christmas lights are. You have all these lights blinking and flashing and then it happens. A UFO is flying overhead and spots those lights. He thinks his buddy is parked down there so he lands next to the house. Imagine his suprise when he finds it full of humans. The next thing you know-you are abducted!