PDA

View Full Version : Fisher phone surveys-sign up for 2004 (UPenn)

MySweetLord
12-21-2003, 10:46 AM
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Fisher/index-eng.shtml

comments from this years

http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=261842&highlight=%2Afisher%2A

borrowed
Thank you for your interest in FISHER, a telephone speech study supporting linguistic research, technology development and education conducted by the Linguistic Data Consortium at the University of Pennsylvania.

Please select the language that you will be participating in:

PLEASE NOTE, FISHER ENGLISH IS CURRENTLY NOT COLLECTING CALLS. WE EXPECT FISHER ENGLISH TO BEGIN COLLECTION AFTER MAY 2004.

Thank you for your interest in FISHER, a telephone speech study supporting linguistic research, technology development and education conducted by the Linguistic Data Consortium at the University of Pennsylvania.

As a FISHER participant you will take part in up to 20 telephone calls talking to other participants -- typically people you do not know -- for ten (10) minutes. A small number of participants will be selected to participate in only one (1) telephone call and will be paid $50 for this call. This will offset those participants' reduced participation in the Fisher study.

A robot operator will initiate all calls. You need only answer your phone (and enter your PIN) at the time(s) you will specify later during this registration. You may also initiate calls (using your PIN) by calling:

1 866 687 4758

In real life, our conversations with strangers have specific goals: to get or give information, to accomplish a task or to build a relationship. In this study, we assign topics to encourage the same kind of goal-oriented talk. The topics also give variety to the conversations and keep them going in a meaningful way. Please speak on the suggested topic, giving your opinions and the benefit of your personal experience and please also ask about the other person's experience and opinions.

Please remember that all FISHER calls will be recorded for research and educational purposes.

COMPENSATION RATES
For every successful Fisher call (you have a conversation with another participant for the full 10 minutes on the designated topic) above 3 in which you take part, you will receive compensation. Participant compensation will be paid on a sliding (increasing) scale that will average (8) US dollars per successful call. The Fisher base rate pay scale can be found below:

Call Compensation (US Dollars)
1 0
2 0
3 0
4 7
5 7
6 7
7 8
8 8
9 8
10 9
11 9
12 9
13 10
14 10
15 10
16 11
17 11
18 11
19 12
20 12

BONUSES
TARGET CALL BONUS:
In addition to the base rate, if you complete all 20 calls you will receive a Target Call bonus of US $30.00.

Maximum compensation for participation in Fisher will be:

US $189.00

Except for the callers selected to make a single call, who will receive US $50.00

You will also be entered into our lottery for each call you complete. There will be (5) $500 lottery prizes.

In order to be compensated, YOU MUST FILL OUT EITHER:
1. W9 FORM
2. FORM 8233 (for foreign nationals residing in the US)
3. Certification of Foreign Source Inc ome (eg. Canadian citizens residing in Canada)

Remember, IN ORDER TO RECEIVE COMPENSATION you must fill out one of the above forms.
You can link to this form later during the registration process or obtain it directly from the IRS.

Completed tax forms should be mailed or faxed to:

Linguistic Data Consortium
FISHER STUDY
3600 Market Street, Suite 810
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2653

FAX (215) 573-2175

We will make every effort to get call payments to you as quickly as possible. Please understand, however, that it can take up to 8 weeks to receive your check(s). (dated from your last successful call.)

You may make or receive FISHER calls on any type of phone, landline or cellular. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact LDC at 1-800-380-PENN. Thank you in advance for supporting linguistic research and education through the FISHER project.

David Miller
FISHER Project Manager

Please click the button below to register using our secure server.
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Fisher/

vicky122
12-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Di you give your ss # I don't remember them asking for it before.

morris2b
12-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks!!

Mulata
12-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Thank you

MySweetLord
12-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by vicky122
Di you give your ss # I don't remember them asking for it before.

yes all their studies require ss#. Secure site

pg0707
12-22-2003, 06:03 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

vicky122
12-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Ok thanks I just didn't remember the last time. I know they pay.

MySweetLord
03-04-2004, 04:45 AM
anyone doing these yet?

pg0707
03-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks for posting this!

obxbum
03-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks so much!:)

jj50000
03-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Can both my husband and I do it or is it one or the other. We have one phone line if that matters.thanks for the info. Jennifer

Jacie
03-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I just signed up for the 2004 study. How do we go about doing referrals on this board? Is there an order to it?

If anyone would like to sign up and needs a referral, please PM me.

JCsavedus4
03-04-2004, 10:24 AM
I am still not sure about the SS# thing?? Too cautious, I am..LOL!

stachowiak
03-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I did this in 2003 and they are legit! Thanks for the link. Yes, all persons in household that qualify can do surveys.

jj50000
03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
How do i pick a referring source i.e. one of the newspapers if I don't get any of those. I tried leaving the space blank and couldn't go on. thanks Jennifer

BizGrL007
03-04-2004, 03:34 PM
I once heard that you need not put in your SS# is that still true? Also, I did it last year am I automatically registered for this year and use the same pin or Do I have to register again? Thanks So Much

mspruite
03-04-2004, 05:24 PM
You only need to give your SS# if you want to get paid. These studies are through the University of Pennsylvania, same as the Baron "surveys". There are laws that say that the university has to have your SS# on record if they pay you.

My understanding is they did not keep any of our info from the old study. If you want to participate in the new study you need to register for the current study.

HTH

FloridaGrandma

Amy121483
03-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Since they ask for the SS number, does that mean you have to pay taxes for the "income" you earn from this program? LoL Or they just need it for no reason really, just their rules?

mspruite
03-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Amy, I don't think that they have to report your earnings to the IRS if you make less than $600 in a single year -- so they usually don't.

I count on them not reporting it.

My memory isn't as sharp as some of these younger members. Maybe someone else can shed a little light on this.

FloridaGrandma

1dragonfly
03-05-2004, 08:03 AM
This is just a guess, but I think your referral #is your pin # and to be used if you are signing up a male under you.

Has anyone received the email with the pin, since signing up under this thread?

Schmilee
03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and someone mentioned "Baron surveys" in a previous post. Can someone tell me where to find them on the www and how to sign up? Thanks so much for this great site...love it!

mspruite
03-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the boards, Schmilee!

http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/qs.html (http://http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/qs.html)

This is the URL for Baron. He isn't taking any new sign-ups at the moment, but there is a place to <click> and leave your email addy so that he can notify you when he needs more help.

FloridaGrandma

Schmilee
03-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome and thanks for the link. I've been signing up for and doing surveys all day long!:)

vicky122
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
How ARE YOU SIGNING UP? Opps sorry about caps. It won't let me go on either.

Schmilee
03-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Instead of clicking on the link, copy it and paste it into your browser. That's how I got in.

http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/qs.html

I only got on his waiting list, but at the bottom of that page is a list of additional survey sites you can sign up for, at least half of them were new to me. Hope this helps!

PS: I just clicked on the link I put in this message and it works fine. Go figure! ROTFL

MySweetLord
06-01-2004, 05:26 AM
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Fisher/index-eng.shtml

comments from this years

http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=261842&highlight=%2Afisher%2A

borrowed

Please select the language that you will be participating in:

PLEASE NOTE, FISHER ENGLISH IS CURRENTLY NOT COLLECTING CALLS. WE EXPECT FISHER ENGLISH TO BEGIN COLLECTION AFTER MAY 2004.

As a FISHER participant you will take part in up to 20 telephone calls talking to other participants -- typically people you do not know -- for ten (10) minutes. A small number of participants will be selected to participate in only one (1) telephone call and will be paid $50 for this call. This will offset those participants' reduced participation in the Fisher study.

A robot operator will initiate all calls. You need only answer your phone (and enter your PIN) at the time(s) you will specify later during this registration. You may also initiate calls (using your PIN) by calling:

1 866 687 4758

In real life, our conversations with strangers have specific goals: to get or give information, to accomplish a task or to build a relationship. In this study, we assign topics to encourage the same kind of goal-oriented talk. The topics also give variety to the conversations and keep them going in a meaningful way. Please speak on the suggested topic, giving your opinions and the benefit of your personal experience and please also ask about the other person's experience and opinions.

Please remember that all FISHER calls will be recorded for research and educational purposes.

COMPENSATION RATES
For every successful Fisher call (you have a conversation with another participant for the full 10 minutes on the designated topic) above 3 in which you take part, you will receive compensation. Participant compensation will be paid on a sliding (increasing) scale that will average (8) US dollars per successful call. The Fisher base rate pay scale can be found below:

Call Compensation (US Dollars)
1 0
2 0
3 0
4 7
5 7
6 7
7 8
8 8
9 8
10 9
11 9
12 9
13 10
14 10
15 10
16 11
17 11
18 11
19 12
20 12

BONUSES
TARGET CALL BONUS:
In addition to the base rate, if you complete all 20 calls you will receive a Target Call bonus of US $30.00.

Maximum compensation for participation in Fisher will be:

US $189.00

Except for the callers selected to make a single call, who will receive US $50.00

You will also be entered into our lottery for each call you complete. There will be (5) $500 lottery prizes.

In order to be compensated, YOU MUST FILL OUT EITHER:
1. W9 FORM
2. FORM 8233 (for foreign nationals residing in the US)
3. Certification of Foreign Source Inc ome (eg. Canadian citizens residing in Canada)

Remember, IN ORDER TO RECEIVE COMPENSATION you must fill out one of the above forms.
You can link to this form later during the registration process or obtain it directly from the IRS.

Completed tax forms should be mailed or faxed to:

Linguistic Data Consortium
FISHER STUDY
3600 Market Street, Suite 810
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2653

FAX (215) 573-2175

We will make every effort to get call payments to you as quickly as possible. Please understand, however, that it can take up to 8 weeks to receive your check(s). (dated from your last successful call.)

You may make or receive FISHER calls on any type of phone, landline or cellular. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact LDC at 1-800-380-PENN. Thank you in advance for supporting linguistic research and education through the FISHER project.

David Miller
FISHER Project Manager

Please click the button below to register using our secure server.
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Fisher/

UPDATE

jamrsc
07-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Did my first one today.

Euphrasie
07-22-2004, 01:55 PM
I signed up back in March when this thread was started, and I just started getting calls this week. Completed my first one today...yeah!

sissbarb
07-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Has anyone who participated before received a PIN number to make calls this time?

vicky122
07-22-2004, 06:05 PM
I did it the first time but didn't hear anything this time.

dianenjeff
07-22-2004, 06:06 PM
I got my second call today. Do I need to send in the tax form? I don't know if I put my ss number on the form, it was so long ago. lol

jamrsc
07-23-2004, 03:47 AM
Has anyone who participated before received a PIN number to make calls this time?

I got a pin in my email from them.