PDA

View Full Version : head lice in schools?

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:01 PM
In my daughter's class they have been passing head lice around for 2 months now. I was wondering if anyone knows of a home made treatment that works better than the ones that we keep getting from Wal-Mart.

chyna123
12-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Good Luck on finding anything that works on it... I have tried all the over the counter medicines and the doctor has went as far as calling them in Medication for kidney problems because they have had word that it works and still didnt work..I have tried mayonaise,baby oil,everything in the world and nothing gets completely rid of them......I have been fighting them for going on a little over 6 months off and on and i cannot get rid of them..I have washed everything in my house,bagged all toys,everything... if you happen to find the miracle product please let me know.....

Unicornmom77
12-18-2003, 09:15 PM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHUT YUR MOUTH I HATE HEAD LICE!! We always use vinager and oil and then Tea tree oil in the hair EVERYDAY and we havnt had it again for over 7 mts!

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Oh darn that sure isn't what I wanted to hear...although I was afraid that is what I was going to hear :(

CaptCritter
12-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Uggh, my daughter went through this at school a few years ago, I got so sick of putting all those chemicals on her head and I was afraid of how they might affect her.

I finally got rid of them by using conditioner everynight on her hair, I washed her hair and then put conditioner on her hair left it in and used the little lice combs and combed out all the lice (the can't hold on to the slippery hair, so they are easy to comb out)until the combs came out clean, then I did the good ole "nit picking" (only the first treatment if you can get most of them) then rinsed the conditioner out. The idea is to use the conditioner every night for at least 2 weeks and that way you will comb out all the little baby lice before they have time to lay new eggs. I also did it once or twice a week after that just to avoid and infestation if she were to get them again.

I was at my wits end with my daughter, I was ready to shave her head! I couldn't believe how easy this was as long as I kept at it everynight, and she loved to have her hair brushed so that made it even easier on both of us, she has not (knocking on wood) had them since. Good luck, I feel you pain, they are persistant little buggers.

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Unicornmom77
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHUT YUR MOUTH I HATE HEAD LICE!! We always use vinager and oil and then Tea tree oil in the hair EVERYDAY and we havnt had it again for over 7 mts!

could you tell me if you mix up the vinager and oil and how to go about it? At this point I am willing to try anything

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by CaptCritter
Uggh, my daughter went through this at school a few years ago, I got so sick of putting all those chemicals on her head and I was afraid of how they might affect her.

I finally got rid of them by using conditioner everynight on her hair, I washed her hair and then put conditioner on her hair left it in and used the little lice combs and combed out all the lice (the can't hold on to the slippery hair, so they are easy to comb out)until the combs came out clean, then I did the good ole "nit picking" (only the first treatment if you can get most of them) then rinsed the conditioner out. The idea is to use the conditioner every night for at least 2 weeks and that way you will comb out all the little baby lice before they have time to lay new eggs. I also did it once or twice a week after that just to avoid and infestation if she were to get them again.

I was at my wits end with my daughter, I was ready to shave her head! I couldn't believe how easy this was as long as I kept at it everynight, and she loved to have her hair brushed so that made it even easier on both of us, she has not (knocking on wood) had them since. Good luck, I feel you pain, they are persistant little buggers.

I have been trying that for the past few weeks thinking that it would help (and I think it has some) but we still can't completely get rid of them :( All the chemicals I have been putting on there have forsure damaged her pretty hair too because I am finding tons of dead ends all of a sudden :(

Kyla Kym
12-18-2003, 09:25 PM
I was told when my son was small to spray his hair with hair spray and I always did that when he was younger and he never got them.

Are you close to Hot Springs? When I was over there the other night I noticed that has some of the lice treatment on the clearance rack in the pharmacy.

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
I was told when my son was small to spray his hair with hair spray and I always did that when he was younger and he never got them.

Are you close to Hot Springs? When I was over there the other night I noticed that has some of the lice treatment on the clearance rack in the pharmacy.

Oh darn I wish I was.........Hot Springs is about an hour and 1/2 away :(

Kyla Kym
12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
It's a hour and 15 mins from me. ARe you south or north of Hot Springs? I'm south. :)

I have to drive that far just to find a Wal-Mart where I live at. LOL :)

Unicornmom77
12-18-2003, 09:38 PM
I mix it about half and half IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO NASTY!! Smells awfull!!

They do have a new perscription medicene called ODIVE or somthing like that , but I have read nothing but bad thigs about it, it is accualle a pestiside and it says to leave in their hair ALL NIGHT?? It is moslty alcohol and this pestiside!! ITS AWFULL!!

Good luck hun!!

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:39 PM
It's a hour and 15 mins from me. ARe you south or north of Hot Springs? I'm south. :)

I have to drive that far just to find a Wal-Mart where I live at. LOL :)

gosh I dont know the direction actually (yes I know how dumb hehe) I live in Horatio which is about 50 miles north of Texarkana

PrincessArky
12-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Unicornmom77
I mix it about half and half IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO NASTY!! Smells awfull!!

They do have a new perscription medicene called ODIVE or somthing like that , but I have read nothing but bad thigs about it, it is accualle a pestiside and it says to leave in their hair ALL NIGHT?? It is moslty alcohol and this pestiside!! ITS AWFULL!!

Good luck hun!!

does it need to be any special oil or will any of them work? Gotta agree with you on the overnight thing....I am making a mess of her hair as it is w/out adding that one

ang in NC
12-18-2003, 09:52 PM
OK Ladies Let me tell you how to get rid of them. I hope I don't offend any one~~My dau kept getting them when she went to a rural school. One of the nurses who was african american told me what to do!Take grease like the stuff african american people use and coat the childs head.Then put a shower cap on.(You can use a quick cover thing too)Let it stay on for 2 hours.(yes 2 hours)Then take dawn dishwasher detergent and wash it out. It will be very hard to get the "grease" out.But this works. Again I hope I didn't offend any one.Good Luck. This is alot safer than Rid and is cheaper too.

Kyla Kym
12-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by PrincessArky
gosh I dont know the direction actually (yes I know how dumb hehe) I live in Horatio which is about 50 miles north of Texarkana
Your not to far away from me. I even know people that live in Horatio.
Have you ever heard of winding stairs?, Or camp albert pike? I live there. :)

PreciousDarlin
12-18-2003, 10:09 PM
I remember when I was in Elementary School, we had a problem with it in our classroom. Unfortunately, we weren't able to completely get rid of it until everyone else in the class took preventive measures because we continued to pass it back and forth at school. It was bad enough that the school office was handing out the shampoo and stuff. I have no advice because between the Nix and the prescription stuff that my infant brother had, we were able to get rid of it...

AngelGrim
12-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Now this is a oooooollllllldddddd remedy, my 91 year old late great grandmother used it on me when nothing else worked when I was 7 and it worked and never came back. This is after all the nit picking and combing and cutting my hair short and the shampoos and such. My gram rinsed my hair with kerosene-spelling. It smelled awful but it did the trick.

Unicornmom77
12-18-2003, 10:36 PM
ang in NC I have heard of this method also!

When my kids had it this last march and WE BUZZ CUT ALL OUR HAIR!! Even mine and my two DD and hubbys and DS!! It looked awful!! But it did the trick and along with Tea tree oil in our conditioner and water bottle for hair we havnt gotten it back!

Oh yeah and the oil doesnt have to be anything special just make sure you wrap their heads with plasic of somesort and keep it on there for like 2 hours

msmom79
12-18-2003, 10:37 PM
a couple of times and after all the shampoo's and sprays. i finally listened to my grandmother and washed my kids hair with keresene ,yeah it stinks and you want to make sure it does not get in your childs eyes,after washing this out use baby oil to make the hair slick,and comb out then rewash.also if you do not spray your beds and furniture constantly lice will return time and time agian,i still to this day keep a can of lice spray here at my home to spray my couches ,chairs and everything after company leaves,cause ladies you can never be to careful. i recommend conditioner from the hair dying kits for the lady who says this is ruining her childs hair,because the conditioners in the hair dies are alot better and they protect agianst damages. just my thoughts ladies.ann

Candice
12-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by ang in NC
OK Ladies Let me tell you how to get rid of them. I hope I don't offend any one~~My dau kept getting them when she went to a rural school. One of the nurses who was african american told me what to do!Take grease like the stuff african american people use and coat the childs head.Then put a shower cap on.(You can use a quick cover thing too)Let it stay on for 2 hours.(yes 2 hours)Then take dawn dishwasher detergent and wash it out. It will be very hard to get the "grease" out.But this works. Again I hope I didn't offend any one.Good Luck. This is alot safer than Rid and is cheaper too.

I bet that would work. When I was in 9th grade, this girl that sat infront of me had lice... I thought it was the nastiest thing because there were so many. So I went home and told my dad and he told me to put alot of oil in my hair because the lice can't live in it. So I did.. and I never got it. I had my dad check everyday after school and I never had any. He told me alot of black people don't get it because they put grease in their hair and the lice just can't live in it. But anyways... sorry you're having trouble with them. (((hugs)))

shelhop
12-19-2003, 04:29 AM
We fought this problem for so long I'm embarassed to say. But I'm very happy to announce that it finally is truly gone, and not coming back, and I swear we owe it all to vinegar (and constant nit-picking).
I, too, started to get concerned about putting all that Nix, Rid and what have you in my kids hair. So I started investigating and they're starting to link the constant use of those products to childhood cancer. I stopped using them completely.
Vinegar, straight vinegar worked. We washed their hair with a regular shampoo, then towel dried it and completely doused it in vinegar. Before we rinsed that out we simply combed, and combed, and combed. After that, we washed the hair again, and then used a good conditioner. Another good combing, then used the hair dryer to get it completely dry.
This took care of about 90% of it. Once the hair was completely dry, I sat over my kids with a spotlight on their hair. (Very bright light is key! Sunlight should be your first choice if possible.) And then slowly, but meticulously, go through every single strand of hair. Believe me, I know how tiring that is. I have 5 kids. 4 of them are girls with long and extremely thick hair.
It's gone now. Finally. We still check hair about twice a week. And I've been told the best way to prevent them from picking it up again is always make sure to have a hair styling product in it. So we do that every day. The other thing is if your daughter has long hair, always put it in a ponytail, a braid, something. Never leave it down for school. She won't be as likely to pick it up from the other kids.
I wish you the best of luck. I know how discouraging it is.

Quaker_Parrots
12-19-2003, 05:16 AM
Tea tree shampoo it smothers them. You can also get a bottle of the oil. If you wash their hair with the Tea Tree shampoo, they won't get lice

THEpouty1
12-19-2003, 05:33 AM
Denorex extra strength works well too. Having 3 kids in school and a small one at home, lice is one of the scariest things to me.

Ireland
12-19-2003, 05:58 AM
We spent last summer trying to get rid of lice and then again at the start of the school year seems a parent was not doing a good job in checking her child and the kids kept on getting it over and over.
We used olive oil overnight every other day for two weeks I put a shower cap on their heads as they slept with the olive oil on their head and put them into the bath tub to apply it.
It worked it smothered everything living or dead and it was chemical free which I liked.
Now I use the lice repellant spray they sell at Walgreens so far no more lice..

http://www.liceguard.com/Repell.htm

MamaFairal
12-19-2003, 08:17 AM
EEEEEWWW you guys are making me itch.......lol

zitra
12-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Just make sure, that after you use the medicine you wash EVERYTHING that is made of fabric in your home..I am talking having your couches/chairs/carpets/matresses cleaned..wash all clothing in closets your children may have touched, you will have to have the seats in your car cleaned (and anything else that is upholstered), all bedding, any bean bags, or whatever else you kids use to sit on, coats, and stuffed animals, soft fabric dolls (well you get the idea)

Unless all these things are cleaned they will continually get them

PrincessArky
12-19-2003, 06:59 PM
thanx everyone for the input.....I am printing it out and going to start with the less stinky first and then go from there if needed. Again you guys have helped me more than you know.

Unicornmom77
12-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Yeah dont forget stuffed animals and barbies!! We always bag all of these things up and let them site for AT LEAST A WEEK OUTSIDE!! Wash em if you can, You can also run things through a HOT dryer for about 5 or 10 min to kill em! GOOD LUCK HUN!!

PrincessArky
12-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Your not to far away from me. I even know people that live in Horatio.
Have you ever heard of winding stairs?, Or camp albert pike? I live there. :)

Albert Pike on the other side of Dierks? I have been there if thats the right place I am thinking

evrita
12-19-2003, 07:22 PM
You can also put the stuffed animals in the dryer and also use a hairdryer on the hair the heat will kill them too. I found the tea tree oil and the vinager really worked and even clip some stands of the hair if yu cant get the egg off......

Kyla Kym
12-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Albert Pike on the other side of Dierks? I have been there if thats the right place I am thinking
Yes that's the right place. I was raised up in Dierks. That's where most my folks are. But I married a guy that's from up here and I've lived here for the past 20 years. :)

PrincessArky
12-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Yes that's the right place. I was raised up in Dierks. That's where most my folks are. But I married a guy that's from up here and I've lived here for the past 20 years. :)

How cool we are practically neighbors :) I haven't been to Albert's Pike in years but I go through that way whenever I head to Hot Springs or Little Rock......I would love to live in such a lovely out of the way place.

waterfowl
12-20-2003, 12:24 AM
My children had lice for months, we tried a lot of different things. What worked for us was Selsun Blue Medicated, the one with menthol in it. Worked like a charm. We shampooed their hair every night for a week with it. Good luck:)

MistyWolf
12-20-2003, 08:44 AM
My daughter's girl scout troop leader just called and said one of the girls at last weekends meeting had it! .. They just did a lice check at her school on Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully she is OK .. keeping my fingers crossed. We went through the lice thing the end of May, beginning of June and it is NO picnic!!!

The treatment that worked the best for us was mayonnaise .. real mayo, not light and not miracle whip. You just slather it on their head and tie a plastic bag on their head for at least an hour.

YYounghouse
12-20-2003, 02:34 PM
I stand in awe of the sheer knowledge of
LICE that is on display here.
I am overwhelmed at the body of
knowledge.
I see a book in the BBS future;
"How to fight Lice and Win" by BBS

FairyFreak
12-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Ok,the very best you can do is to use Suave Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner.It's the safest and least expensive thing that REALLY works.Wash the hair with the shampoo and then slather on the conditioner,cover with a shower cap and let it sit for at least an hour.Then go through the hair with a fine tooth comb.You can repeat as necessary.The coconut oil kills the lice.Good Luck.

Kyla Kym
12-20-2003, 03:35 PM
How cool we are practically neighbors :) I haven't been to Albert's Pike in years but I go through that way whenever I head to Hot Springs or Little Rock......I would love to live in such a lovely out of the way place. I love living here, except for having to drive so far to go shopping. Next time your coming this way, give me a holler and maybe we can go do something together. :)

FairyFreak
12-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Here's something else that may interest all of you.

http://www.headlicetodeadlice.com/shampoo_chart.html

freeplease
12-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Was great about this. She told the kids how to avoid lice, how to get rid of it, and how there isn't shame involved in it. It happens to the best of families. She said to keep lice away, use a hair product with an alchohol base. The boys were thrilled because it meant they could mousse and gell up their hair to high heavens. lol I just went with the cheap hairspray. Knock on wood...it seems to be working.

cSoReNSoN
12-20-2003, 06:45 PM
My brother and I were fortunate that we never acquired lice while in school. I would have freaked out if I knew bugs were in my hair, as I am paranoid about bugs! haha
It really isn't anything to be ashamed of, as others have stated, but I cannot imagine the pain it brings. I am a future teacher, so these tips are quickly useful!

smartie23
12-20-2003, 09:48 PM
to me and people who i know that have had it the most important thing is to make sure and comb it with the lice comb every day, don't skip one day. also i was able to get a prescription from my daughter's pediatrician for an over the counter shampoo (i can't recall the name) and it may not make a difference if you have no insurance or a high co-pay. Good luck, it is a terrible thing to go through. my daughter had it when she was 2 yrs old and it took us over 6 months to get RID of it completely.

PrincessArky
12-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Kyla Kym I will do that.....hopefully it will be soon :)

FairyFreak thanx for sharing that info w/us...I found it EXTREMELY interesting. My daughter comes home tomorrow from her dad's and I am ready to get started on some of the great ideas that are listed here. Thanx again to everyone for giving me such great ideas