PDA

View Full Version : NJ people, help ,???????

Faithfully
12-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi, I have a ? for people who live in NJ. My dh is up for a great job, in Murray Hill,NJ. Everythings great, except, how do people live there?????? The housing prices are 3x the amount they are, where I live, and I live in NY:eek: This is serious, my dh really wants this postion, but the house I live in now, would cost about $400,000 there, and they aren't offering him that kind of money, so is there a secret for buying, and living in NJ, so maybe dh's dream could come true?? Thank you:)

tigerskiss1963
12-18-2003, 07:46 PM
i dont know of any secrets about buying a home here in NJ
but i will ask people that sell homes if there is any thing they can do to help your dream come true

Faithfully
12-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I would appreciate that. Do alot of people in NJ live in townhomes? We wouldn't mind that to much. I have checked into the prices of those, and they run in the range of about $260,000, and thats still a bit steep for us:(. Does anyone know why it is so expensive there? Even the property taxes are around $7,000, sorry to moan, and groan, but I really want this for dh, he has worked so hard for years, and gotten an excellent education, he deserves it:(

Unicornmom77
12-18-2003, 09:55 PM
no advice i just wish you luck hun!

ebgreen74
12-19-2003, 03:27 AM
my sis in law just bought a condo in NJ and paid soooooooooooo much I just couldnt believe it!!!! I have no clue how they manage to live in that state! Is there any way your husband could commute(maybe by train?). I know alot of people commute from NJ to NY.

schsa
12-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Part of it is because they have so many people squeezed into such little land. We left NJ at the end of the 70's. Our house double in value in about 5 years. And we lived on a commuter line into NYC. I don't know where Murray Hill is but if it is any where to commuter distance to NYC that would explain quite a bit.

You might consider other towns in the area but I think that you will find most housing prices there outrageous.

nooshu
12-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Try searching on www.foxtons.com Prices are a little better there due to lower commisions. That's where I got mine. Good luck.

sahmsfreeb
12-19-2003, 06:36 PM
hiya.........
we used to live in nj 5 years ago... prices are lower in nj than in long island new york!!!! my advice for dh is to commute to murray hill... (is he working at bell?) dh said for you to go a lil further west or south... the prices will come down...

some great towns that i know of with EXCELLENT SCHOOLS but the commute may be way too long... are kinnelon, montville, randolph, wayne.

Danny
12-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Like everywhere else - it depends on where you live in NJ!! I live in the suburbs (Central Jersey) and there are some homes that are extremely expensive and some that aren't - you just have to look. Try searching some of the towns nearby - 10 miles may make a huge difference in price.

Good luck!

Faithfully
12-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice, and support:D

EB- I live upstate, and west in NY, the commute would be way to long, but TY!

Schsa-Its North NJ, near Sayerville, and Orange NJ

Nooshu-Excellent site, TY,TY,TY!!!!!!

SAHM- Not Bell, BOC. TY for the town names. There is one I was looking at something?tocong. I will look into the others:)

Danny, TY for your advice too:)

You all are such blessings!:D

coffelover
12-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi there! Why do you think we all driving old cars here lol. I live in North Jersey, and it is very expensive, but you have to look around. Some towns are just crazy in taxes and prices, and some(can be 10 min away driving) much more reasonable. The only advise I could give you first rent, then see, where do you like more. But just fyi av tax in NJ for the house ~5000/year for 50*100 prap. Also some townhouses can run more expensive then regular houses, so if you would choose older house it could cost 3/4 of new townhouse. But if you want more rasonable houses go south, it can be 1/2 hr, and you will see changes in prices.

Faithfully
12-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by coffelover
Hi there! Why do you think we all driving old cars here lol. I live in North Jersey, and it is very expensive, but you have to look around. Some towns are just crazy in taxes and prices, and some(can be 10 min away driving) much more reasonable. The only advise I could give you first rent, then see, where do you like more. But just fyi av tax in NJ for the house ~5000/year for 50*100 prap. Also some townhouses can run more expensive then regular houses, so if you would choose older house it could cost 3/4 of new townhouse. But if you want more rasonable houses go south, it can be 1/2 hr, and you will see changes in prices.

TY Coffelover, I think you have an idea where Murray Hill is, can you give me your opinions on some towns you can think of? Thanks for your input!:D Oh, I have been looking into some older homes, and people seem to really take care of them, and keep them real updated(from the ones I have seen on the net), so we would definitely be interested in one, if it was in good shape, in a nice area:)

coffelover
12-24-2003, 02:23 PM
I never heard of Murray Hill, but I know where Orage is. Some areas of Orange are very-very nice and exp, and some just dangerous.But I live about 30 min away from there. Also, I remember when we choose our house, I used something in yahoo, where you can see general info about the area, such as average income, population, schools and so on. It was very helpfull at the time. I will try to go back and figure out how to get there. But as a general rule for NJ, the farther from NY - better prices.

tarynsmom
12-25-2003, 10:33 PM
We live in South Central Jersey (near Ft Dix)and bought a 3 bedroom rancher in 2000 for 75,900. That's not to bad,right. Of course we live near nothing!! *LOL* No,it's not that bad,1/2 hr from Seaside ,1/2 hr from Great Adventure and about 45 minutes from AC. I hear North is expensive but really they seem to save the special insurance rates and property taxes just for us,and now with govenor pinoccio,it doesn't look like it's looking up :)

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

nnjangel
12-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Murray Hill is in Union County, NJ. Its very expensive around here for anything decent ($250,00 at least!) in a decent neighborhood. There are a few nice mobile home parks that you can get a custom built home for @$70-90,000. If you are willing to commute a bit, the farther south you go the better the prices are. My parents live in Cumberland County and their house would go for about $90,000 there and if it were up here would go for $250,000. There are some nice homes for under $200,000 in the Keansburg/Hazlet area (check foxtons.com or weicherts.com) and that is a nice little area to live in. Its about an hour or so commute to Murray Hill but to NYC you can get the ferry taxi thing right from the highlands. Its also near Sandy Hook, NJ (the little "finger" in the middle of the NJ coastline) which is a state park beach area. Hope this helps!

I have lived in NJ my entire life and if you need any further info please feel free to PM me (just post that you did cause I always forget to check) Ill be glad to help in anyway I can. I dont live very far from Murray Hill.

Joisey63
12-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Southern coastal Jersey checking in :)

I live ( and have permanently for 10 years ) on a lagoon-front property in soutern Ocean County, and can tell you just by traveling 1/2 mile from my home, that the North Jersey sprawl is in FULL swing. They're building around here like there's no tomorrow. It's sad. It used to be such a nice, quiet seaside kinda town. Now everywhere I turn, there are big trucks and construction equipment EVERYWHERE. They just broke ground on a site very close to me that will be "luxury rental townhomes". They've wiped out God knows how much wildlife (it's on the water - fish will be effected as well as birdlife) to make room for people who don't want/can't afford the lifestyle North Jersey offers. South Jersey seems to be the most reasonable alternative, with access to the GSP and NJTP fairly closeby. It's funny, to hear people that live here speak, you can tell just by accent that the north is moving south :) It's worth a peek....before costs rise too much here too! Good luck!