PDA

View Full Version : A Question For All You Farm Women On Here??

tsquared
12-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Every time they threaten a big winter snowstorm here tons of the farmers come in and buy milk. They dont buy their normal allotment, but increase it by 1, 2, 3 gallons or more........WHY????????? Why would you buy all of this milk if the elcectricity happens to go out then what? Wouldnt pwdered milk be better as you could pump extra water before the well went off.
Who can tell me the logic behind this??

Mini
12-17-2003, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure about farm women but when they forecast that here milk sells out faster then they can restock it. Not sure why..I mean you got a point it's all gonna go bad if the power goes out. We don't do that, if we need milk we go buy a half gallon or something and split it or something. Maybe we are just weird:confused: :D

Willow
12-17-2003, 06:45 PM
I guess if the power goes out you could always put the milk outside in the snow. lol

cpbaby
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
And HOW does this apply to JUST farm women???:confused: I grew up on a farm WAYYYY out in the boonies, we never bought more than a gallon of milk at a time and that was with four kids and only if we were running low. My mom never went to thr grocery based on the weather forecast.

I dont go buy ANYTHING "extra" if they call for snow. I live across the highway from a convenience store and can go over there if I run out. Plus they have GREAT fried chicken!:);)

peaceluver
12-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Maybe its just because if the roads get bad they dont want to be out buying milk. Thats why I stock up and I live in town.

tsquared
12-17-2003, 07:32 PM
LOL just noticed it was farmers that did this cause in town us young farts can deliver it to them and fall on our bums going to their doors...LOL

cpbaby
12-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by tsquared
LOL just noticed it was farmers that did this cause in town us young farts can deliver it to them and fall on our bums going to their doors...LOL

You DELIVER? :eek:

WOW! Im impressed, I think.

cch
12-17-2003, 07:37 PM
I always buy 4 or 5 gallons at a time. Unfortunately though, that only lasts us a week.

tsquared
12-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by cpbaby
You DELIVER? :eek:

WOW! Im impressed, I think.
Sure we deliver........how else ya going to have fun out on the ice and snow.......When it snows the people who cant get out make the phone ring off the wall...... and the ones that dont have a good memory call every 1/2 hour to place their orders again....lol

Willow
12-17-2003, 07:41 PM
When I was little my brothers used to tease me and say that the milkman was my father. :eek:

flute
12-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Patchouli
I guess if the power goes out you could always put the milk outside in the snow. lol

my first thought was that :D

it's not really snowed here to accumulate yet & I had my water in my car freezing (or well starting to, there were some chunks of ice in it) :D

tsquared
12-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by flute
my first thought was that :D

it's not really snowed here to accumulate yet & I had my water in my car freezing (or well starting to, there were some chunks of ice in it) :D
time to get out the antifreeze tester and see if you dont need more antifreeze in it.....sounds like you might.......

cpbaby
12-17-2003, 07:50 PM
When I was little my brothers used to tease me and say that the milkman was my father. :eek:

OMG! My youngest sons daddy WAS the milkman! lol

My DH was a milkman when we married and I tease him that thats why our baby had blue eyes and blonde hair(my eyes and hair are dirt brown, the dominant color). When Nick was 2-4 yrs old, if someone asked him where he got his pretty blue eyes, hed blink and say "Fwom da Mil'man!" You shoulda seen the looks Id get! LMAO!

flute
12-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by tsquared
time to get out the antifreeze tester and see if you dont need more antifreeze in it.....sounds like you might.......

i guess I didn't write that correctly.

*ahem* the water we drink which was in a gallon container in the floor board of my car over night (cus i was too lazy to bring it into the house) froze. or started to rather.

I don't think antifreeze would help that. :D

nanajoanie
12-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Here in Greensboro, NC the "s" words mean the stores are out of bread and milk in a record 2-4 hours. You never hear anyone mention peanut butter or chips or crackers and cheese in a can. We have an emergency cupboard year round. Stocked with peanut butter, jelly, Spam, Campbells new pop open soup cans (electric can openers don't work) assorted cheese crackers and snacks. And the bathtub always gets filled to be able to flush the toilet. Yep we are on a deep well but the power goes out, so does the water. I make coffee on the gas grill side burner in an old fashioned perkolator.

cch
12-17-2003, 07:55 PM
LOL flute! It'd keep it from freezing, but it would kill you. I took it the same way as T did.

flute
12-17-2003, 07:58 PM
he he :)

ezmoney163
12-17-2003, 08:04 PM
I buy it so my kids can at least have milk and cereal and stuff like that. We go through 2-3 gallons a week anyway, my son is a big milk drinker and on my good days I am too. I guess you could buy the powdered milk but I hate the taste of that stuff. My mom used to mix it half and half so it would taste better. But that didn't even work.

tsquared
12-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by flute
i guess I didn't write that correctly.

*ahem* the water we drink which was in a gallon container in the floor board of my car over night (cus i was too lazy to bring it into the house) froze. or started to rather.

I don't think antifreeze would help that. :D
See us men are clear on what we are saying and meaning!!!:eek:

fatesfaery
12-17-2003, 09:12 PM

LOL.....when I was little my Daddy was the milkman too.....he drove a milk truck for PET Dairy when I was really little.

Maybe farmers buy up because they know the roads are going to get bad and they don't wanna get out? I asked DH (he grew up on a farm) and he said they never did.....it seldom snows in Louisiana and they got their milk straight from the cow....

cpbaby
12-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by fatesfaery
it seldom snows in Louisiana and they got their milk straight from the cow....

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Thick milk! :p My cousins used to drink "fresh milk" but I always refused, it looked so nasty to me.

Donnagg123
12-18-2003, 07:00 AM
They do the same here. When there is even mention of a storm, people will buy out all the milk bread and eggs within a 40 mile radius :rolleyes: