PDA

View Full Version : I always wondered about this, now I know.

janelle
12-15-2003, 03:12 PM
The Four Last Things - Judgement
Question from John Gibson on 12-15-2003:

Father,

I have been studying on the Four Last Things and I have something that I was am confused on. It appears that everyone goes through two judgements. One at the time of death and another at the coming of Christ. I am confused as to the difference in these two judgements. If the judgement at the time of ones death determines whether they gain Heavan, Hell or Purgatory what happens at the second judgement. How does this corespond with the Bible when it talks about "He will come to judge the living and the dead..".

God Bless,

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 12-15-2003:
John, In your private Judgment, you will be rewarded or punished as you live on earth. This is not known by others, just by yourself. AT the Final Judgment the whole world will know your virtues and your sins and whether you are in heaven or hell. This public judgment is made in favor of social justice, a reckoning often not made on earth. I think we all will be surprised at the end at who is in heaven and who in hell. Judgment of the living and the dead = judgment of those in grace and those in sin. Fr. Bob Levis

curlymae29
12-16-2003, 02:00 AM
I'm not really for sure...but then again who is? But I think it's taking about two judgements for the people as a whole. The first judgement is for the unsaved. The second judgement is for the saved, where they will have to be accountable for the things they did and didn't do in life. It is at that judgement when we'll recieve our rewards.

janelle
12-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Well I've been taught (Catholic) that when we die we will go to be judged to see if we can go directly to heaven, hell, or purgatory. I know purgatory if a foreign thing for Protestants to believe. But we believe if you die with any stain of sin on your soul you will go to purgatory to atone before allowed into heaven which is a place without sin. No sin can get into heaven. Most will end up in Purgatory. Not a bad place, but a place to atone for our sins at the time of death. We pray for the poor souls in Purgatory all the time.

Then on the final judgement day everyone will stand before the whole world and be judged. Then we will all know who is in heaven or in hell. Talk about embarresed. Well that is how a human would look at it anyway. Cring. :rolleyes:

I was taught this in school but forgot it. Now I remember. We don't believe in once saved always saved either. St. Paul certainly didn't if you read what he wrote. He was always striving to gain his salvation, always on guard least he lose it. If a saint is on guard I certainly will be.

curlymae29
12-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Then we will all know who is in heaven or in hell. Talk about embarresed.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Which ever way....I dread going before the Lord, not because I doubt my salvation, but because I'm going to have to be accountable for all those years I wasted by not serving Him. Even now I still don't do enough and I do things I shouldn't. I know God already knows, but on that day, everyone is going to know. Won't be an easy day, that's for sure.

curlymae29
12-16-2003, 04:26 PM
I know purgatory if a foreign thing for Protestants to believe.

Oops...meant to say...naw, not foreign to me. My mother was raised Catholic and I learned somethings from her and when my Aunt was visiting I went to mass with her.

Merry99%
12-17-2003, 01:00 AM
I am not good at quoting scripture,I forget what is where,or exactly how it is worded,but...I think I have read after we die we know no more of this world,and since hell will be here(I think?) maybe we don't know.
Knowing someone we love is lost is surely painful now though:(

FBH you should not stay out of here:) Everyone has a right to their opinions and to voice them whether majority agrees or no one agrees just as long as no one gets personal nothings too differing to share and IMO we are all suppose to get wisdom and understanding about all we can.

janelle
12-17-2003, 01:23 AM
I know it's confusing but why do people report that they can see their loved ones who have died when they are dying? Guess I need to study this. I thought we could recognise our loved ones when we get to heaven.

Merry99%
12-17-2003, 01:31 AM
I sure hope we can see our loved ones in heaven,I have always heard that we could my whole life and when i read we would know no more of this world I was confused,but i think it means we won't know whats going on here when we are gone.I know dh and I would not be as man and wife in heaven,but can't imagine not knowing or getting to be with him...but heaven and our life there is probably much more perfect and beautiful than our minds now could comprehend.

curlymae29
12-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Hi...FBH! Now that your here why not pull up a seat and stay awhile. Your company has been missed!

I think at the time of Judgement, we will know and I think many will weep and mourn. The bible say that God will wipe away every tear. I don't know about you, but when I get to heaven, I think I'll be jumping up and down for joy. So where would the wiping away of tears come from? (But, I have heard it said that it simply means that God will wipe away the cares of this world!)

I have wondered about knowing those in heaven. I've always felt that we would know each other and those we never knew. But I wonder about those lost. Will those be wiped from our mind? It seems like God would have to do that. But I just don't know. I can only say that if not, He will give us a way!

Curlymae.. JMO on the comment about being accountable for all those years before you became a Christian. I don't think we will be accountable for that time.

FBH...ooooh, how I wish I could make this claim. But you see I can't! All those years I knew! I was just plain ole rebellious and willful. Let's add selfish to that too! I knew full well I was living outside His will and I just went ahead and did it anyway. :( And you can't believe how much I regret it. It wasn't just me I was hurting, I was hurting my beautiful kids. Thank goodness God got a hold on me and brought me back in time to teach my kids. I guess better late than never, but I could have had such as easier life and could have given them a better foundation to build on.

janelle
12-17-2003, 05:35 PM
[

FBH...ooooh, how I wish I could make this claim. But you see I can't! All those years I knew! I was just plain ole rebellious and willful. Let's add selfish to that too! I knew full well I was living outside His will and I just went ahead and did it anyway. :( And you can't believe how much I regret it. It wasn't just me I was hurting, I was hurting my beautiful kids. Thank goodness God got a hold on me and brought me back in time to teach my kids. I guess better late than never, but I could have had such as easier life and could have given them a better foundation to build on. [/B]

Well if Saint Paul, who killed Christians before he converted, can get to heaven I think you have nothing to worry about when you confessed to your sins to the Lord and that you had changed. Remember the Prodical Son and how the father celebrated when the son came home. More celebrating than for the son who was always there. Huggs.

Merry99%
12-17-2003, 11:40 PM
"He [God] will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away" (Revelation 21:4).

curlymae29
12-18-2003, 03:46 AM
I know it's confusing but why do people report that they can see their loved ones who have died when they are dying?

My father saw his mother before he died. Actually for two days before he died. He told her at one point:

"Not yet Momma. I've got to take care of Little N***."

I was 13 at the time and the only child left at home. My brother was in the service at the time and was away from home. He made it home just a few hours before he died. When my brother came into the room, Daddy who was drifting in and out (mostly out) came to enough to talk to him. Daddy told him to always take care of me, that it was up to him now.

I think God sends us a loved one at the time of death so that it's easier for us. Yes we know that heaven awaits, but there is a certain 'unknown' and the unknown scares us. Having a loved one to help us cross over gives security to leave here.