PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about...

jdglmg
12-15-2003, 09:22 AM
cordless phones? I got a set of three for my birthday - the ones where you plug the phone cord into the base unit and then you can put the other two charges wherever you want them...They all work off the same base.

OK, here's the deal. I just got these last week for my birthday. Last night I finally sat down to put everything together and get them charged up so I could start using them. Today, they were charged up and ready to go. BUT, about 1/2 of the times that I have tried to use the phones (any of them), I get a lot of static and then the signal will just die. The batteries are completely charged, and I have tried sitting right beside the base, so neither of those things are the cause of my troubles. I guess I will call the Help Line and see what they say and if I don't get anywhere there, I will have to take them back. :(

Oh, one more thing, I live about a mile from the airport, and it seems as though the problems may be caused by airplanes. Is that possible, or is it just a coincidence?

I hope I can find some phones that will work! I've been wanting these for a long time!

socks1211
12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
all u have to do is change your channel on the phone keep changing it till u get a clear reception

justme23
12-15-2003, 09:27 AM
I don't think it's the airport, my aunt lives about 10 miles from DFW International and all she uses is cordless. It could just be a faulty base period. I hope the help line has a better answer!

GodsGiftsRFree
12-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Sometimes if the base is by appliances, the appliances can cause interference. They (whoever "they" are LOL) usually suggest keeping them out of the kitchen area. And make sure the chargers aren't too close to each other.

Also, I would think being by the airport may very well cause problems, but I don't know that for sure.

I wouldn't want to have to sit right next to the base ... what would be the point of having a cordless phone, right?! LOL

Good luck ...
God bless <><

jdglmg
12-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply, socks, but I don't think I can do that on these phones. The manual says, "The GH4003 cordless telephone automatically searches and selects the clearest of 95 channels when it is being used." There is no button on the handset to manually change the channel. :confused:

jdglmg
12-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by justme23
I don't think it's the airport, my aunt lives about 10 miles from DFW International and all she uses is cordless. It could just be a faulty base period. I hope the help line has a better answer!

I would think if airplane traffic would cause a problem, they would have a warning in the manual. We have had a cordless phone here for a long time (900 MHz). The new one is 2.4 GHz. I don't know if that makes a difference.

jdglmg
12-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by GodsGiftsRFree
Sometimes if the base is by appliances, the appliances can cause interference. They (whoever "they" are LOL) usually suggest keeping them out of the kitchen area. And make sure the chargers aren't too close to each other.

Also, I would think being by the airport may very well cause problems, but I don't know that for sure.

I wouldn't want to have to sit right next to the base ... what would be the point of having a cordless phone, right?! LOL

Good luck ...
God bless <><

"THEY" think they know everything! LOL

The base is in my bedroom beside the answering machine and no other appliances and the chargers are pretty far apart. But the chargers really shouldn't have any impact because they don't send or receive any signals.

Oh well, I am off to call the help line - if I can get the phone to work long enough! :rolleyes: I will let everyone know what I find out. I hope it isn't being by the airport, because I really want a phone like this. I think maybe it's because it's a Bell product. I had problems with the last one I had, too. The cordless phone we used the longest was a Uniden, and we never had any problems with it!

justme23
12-15-2003, 10:02 AM
I agree, I think it's cause it's a Bell! Every Bell phone we've had has crapped out on us w/in a year... NEVER AGAIN! Verizon had a deal and sold my aunt a phone and then swbell sold a phone (not bell) that she uses already (which I bought because she highly recommended) and I bought it... we switched cause I wanted hers and she wanted mine. It's a Panasonic and I would not trade it for the world. It was pricy, almost 180 bucks a year ago (altho we payed 40 bucks a month for it, so it wasn't all upfront), but I will use this phone until it just dies!

jdglmg
12-15-2003, 10:24 AM
OK, I called the help line. I told her the problem I was having and the first thing she asked is what was plugged in to the same outlet with the phone. I told her it was an alarm clock and an answering machine. She said, "That's not good." She told me to unplug the base and all of the chargers, take the batteries out of all the phones for 15 minutes, then plug everything back in (without the answering machine and the alarm clock). She said I shouldn't plug it in with anything more than a lamp! HELLO! Where am I supposed to put my answering machine? OK, normally I would just plug it into another phone jack and outlet, but (long story) we only have one working phone jack right now. I guess they would recommend that I get call notes (from Southwestern Bell of course)!

Anyway, I did what she said and so far so good. I was able to get a clear signal with the dial tone. We'll have to wait until I have an actual phone call to see how it's really working. I guess I'll go call my hubby at work and bug him. LOL

jdglmg
12-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by justme23
I agree, I think it's cause it's a Bell! Every Bell phone we've had has crapped out on us w/in a year
Maybe I should take it back even if this fixes the current problem!