PDA

View Full Version : Please, please help me. There's a collection agency doing something illegal to me!

Dawnathon
12-11-2003, 06:51 PM
I was wondering if you all could give me some suggestions on what to do with my situation, if you would be so kind!

I was out in California and had to go to the ER. My HMO insurance from Wisconsin covers ER visits outside it's coverage area. It also pays 100%, so I have no copays. The date of service was back in June, and I didn't get any bills so I didn't think any further. Suddenly I got a collection notice from American Capital. I didn't understand what it was for so I called them up and they said that my insurance company paid a certain amount and the rest was for me to pay. If I didn't pay it in the next three days it would go on my credit report. But I just got this letter two days ago!!

This seemed fishy since I have 100% coverage, so I called my insurance company and they said they paid 100% of the amount that the hospital/physician was allowed to charge for those services and the rest cannot be billed to the patient since that is illegal. I called back American Capital and the guy kept changing his story, first it was my copay. Then when I told him I didn't have a copay he said, well, it's the amount the insurance didn't pay. Then I told him what the insurance representative told me, that they cannot make me pay the rest of the bill because the original bill was overcharged. He said that is not true, and I said he could speak with her as I had her number and he said that he would not. I asked him if he would extend the date that it would be put on my credit report for a few days so I could straighten this out with the hospital and he said that he would not since it was my responsibility to pay the bill immediately. He kept interrupting me when I tried to explain the situation, and I asked him to let me finish talking and he hung up on me. I am so upset and frustrated that I have been bawling over this.

I don't want my credit rating damaged when it's not my fault, can you tell me what to do since it seems they are doing something illegal?

Dawn

Ladytiger
12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
First, don't even bother calling American Capital. Did you get a full name and address? Then you can send a Cease and Desist letter, they in turn would have to contact the hospital, then the hospital has to "go after" you. THEN you can work something out between them and insurance.
Good luck Dawm and don't let them bully you!

ttistin
12-11-2003, 07:33 PM
cant you call American Capital back and talk to someone else? Keep asking to talk to someone else till you get someone who will listen. I agree dont let them bully you. You have rights, some collection places just dont want to give you a chance to use them.

Oh and do you remember the guy you talked to? if so call and report his butt, he had no right to talk to you that way or hang up on you.

Dragonfairie
12-11-2003, 08:40 PM
You should contact the hospital and physician and verify that it is a legitimate claim, first. Also, write back to the coll agency and request proof of their claim.

spongebob
12-11-2003, 09:40 PM
credit agency does not look at medical bills against you.. they told my neice they do not count those against you because they still might be tied up and insuanceso if you try to get a loan that won't count against you.. and yes take his name ext number timeof call every thing..
do you have a copy of your insuance stating what they pay..good luck.. and don't take any crap. if you tell him to quit calling you he has to quit or that is harrsment..
can you get copies from the hosptial

iowakat
12-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Most insurance companine only pay so much for each covered charge. If they have an agreement with the medical provider, that provider agrees to settle for that amount even though they would usually charge more. If the medical provider doesn't have an agreement with your insurance company, I think you do have to pay the difference. To turn it over to a collection agency and have the jerk act like that isn't right though. I'd contact the hospital and doctor directly and get it straightened out.

LOONEYMAMA
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Dragonfairie
You should contact the hospital and physician and verify that it is a legitimate claim, first. Also, write back to the coll agency and request proof of their claim. what she said

MistyWolf
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Credit agencies DO look at medical collections that have been reported on you. I had on from when I lived in Arizona from 1995, and when we bought our house in 2001, I had to take care of that just so it wasn't on my report. They weren't denying us a home loan, but just said in case there were any problems to correct it. I made an arrangemnt with the collection ageny and we agreed on the amount that I paid.

Always get the names of who you talk to and I'd definitely report that person. Also, just go through the hospital and see what they say.

jonette5
12-11-2003, 10:55 PM
You should have gotten an EOB (Explanation Of Benefits) from your insurance when they paid this bill. If not contact them and ask for one. On that it will say what they paid and if you are responsible for any charges. If it shows that it was paid in full (by contracted amount or other) and it shows that you are responsible for nothing, make a copy and send it to the collection agency.

justinenycole26
12-12-2003, 03:13 AM
First of all, NEVER talk to a collection agency on the phone. No good can come of it. Send them a C&D letter right away. Tell them they must cease ALL communication with you. Send it Certified Return Receipt. Call the hospital, tell them they have 10 days to clear this up! Do NOT take no for an answer. If the first person does not do what you want, go over their head till you get a satisfactory answer.

SilverKittyNH
12-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Also, don't forget to call your insurance company and let them know. If it is a major HMO that has contracts with various providers, then the fact that that provider has reported you for non-payment will not sit too well with the insurance company and they may be willing to help. After all, you pay insurance premiums not ONLY for coverage, but for HELP relating to that coverage (people always forget this part). SOME of your premium covers some sort of "customer service" or billing help.