PDA

View Full Version : Remember the teacher who said my son was immature?

ilikefree
12-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Last week I posted about my son's parent teacher conference and how she thought he was immature for still being into Pokemon cards (he is 10 and in 5th grade).

Well, guess what this same teacher assigned for homework. Justin came home from school the other day and said their assignment was to write a letter to Santa. We told Justin the story of Santa in 3rd grade (although I think he knew long before that). But okay, I can maybe see this assignment for the writing skills. But they also had to cut out pictures of stuff that they wanted for Christmas. He did this in kindergarten!! Talk about immature!! I've e-mailed the teacher about it but haven't heard anything back from her yet. I wasn't mean or anything, I just told her that I was curious as to why she thought he was immature. :confused: :confused: :confused:

zitra
12-04-2003, 07:39 AM
While I agree, that the cutting out of pictures is a kindergardnerish thing, and I also agree, that the teacher was WAY out of line saying your son was immature for being into Pokemon (I think that is natural for somone his age) writing a letter to Santa, I really don't see as childish/immature..my son is 10 and in 5th grade, and believes in Santa, I will not tell him the story of Santa, I think it is good for a child to beleive as long as he can..my son also still believes in the Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny..If he ever starts to figure it out we will be straight with him, but I don't think it is childish for beleiving, nor really childish for the teacher to assign them to write a letter to Santa, for the fact that I beleive many chldren at that age still beleive..

suziebee20
12-04-2003, 07:55 AM
That is wrong to say your son is immature... especially for being into Pokemon cards. Even if he was into something other than Pokemon cards, teachers shouldn't say children are "immature!"

lol, I wish my teachers would realize cutting stuff out seems a bit for younger kids. My 11th grade AP teacher made us cut stuff out all the time- lol I think it's so she wouldn't have to grade writings she could just look at all our cut outs!

twinkiesmom
12-04-2003, 07:59 AM
LOL at you for questioning the teacher on this. Makes her wanna say . . . 'well, ummm, ummm' lol Keep us posted on on her reply!

MizzusKat
12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Our poor children only get to be kids for such a short time these days! I'd sure rather see children interested in Pokemon cards when there are SO many worse things out there for them to get into! My oldest son, who is 11 and in 6th grade, still loves Pokemon and that's fine by me. Some of the kids he knows at school are already talking sex and drugs!! Pokemon sounds pretty good compared to THAT!! WHY do people insist that our kids have to grow up so fast now? We all live so long and only get to be little for a very little time. I personally encourage my two boys to PLAY as much as they can. The days of bills, jobs, and responsibility will come upon them all too soon! My 9 year old still sleeps with his favorite monkey doll and I'm not EVEN planning to tell him he is "immature." He will give up his childhood when he's ready and I'm in no rush. Tell that old teacher that your child IS a child and she is there to teach CHILDREN! Good for you for sticking up for him!

Mini
12-04-2003, 10:27 AM
That's immature in 5th grade? Wow, my brother is in 10th grade and he plays Yu-Gi-Oh. I don't think it's immature. And those cards are gonna be worth a bundle when they stop making them(i'm sure eventually they will stop) It's just a card game, I wish people would get over it.:rolleyes: