PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart to stop accepting Mastercard for debit card transactions

Mini
12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said on Wednesday it would stop accepting MasterCard for certain debit-card transactions, the first major retailer to make such a move after a seven-year battle over fees.

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest company, said it will no longer accept MasterCard for debit-card transactions that require a signature, as of Feb. 1.

The move was seen as a blow to MasterCard, which is struggling with a market share one-fourth the size of Visa's in the signature-based debit area. Not only will MasterCard lose the business of Wal-Mart, but it could suffer further if other large retailers follow suit, analysts said.

"This is bad for the MasterCard brand image, unquestionably," said David Robertson, publisher of The Nilson Report, an industry newsletter.

Wal-Mart typically accounts for about four to five percent of MasterCard's signature-based debit transactions, Robertson estimated. He said that MasterCard will earn about $110 million in 2003 from all such transactions.

Robertson said some customers will suffer from the Wal-Mart move, because purchases that require a signature allow customers to rack up points or miles on rewards programs but those verified by a personal identification number do not.

Wal-Mart said it would continue accepting MasterCard credit cards, and "most" customers could still use MasterCard debit cards if they punched in a personal identification number, or PIN. Fees are much lower with the PIN system.

Computer services company Unisys said 48 percent of consumers it surveyed prefer using a PIN instead of having to sign for purchases, and 36 percent prefer to sign.

Darrell Rigby, head of the retail practice at consulting firm Bain & Co., said the move was a strategic maneuver by Wal-Mart "to try to get MasterCard to lower their fees."

"Wal-Mart has demonstrated that when they get committed to a program like this, they can hold their breath for a long time," he said. "I think it is likely that MasterCard will end up having to give some concessions to make this work."

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa Berryhill said the retailer "would certainly consider any proposal" from MasterCard to lower its transaction fees, but declined to comment on any discussions or negotiations with MasterCard.

In a statement, MasterCard said Wal-Mart was "putting its hand into its customers' wallets, and telling them which form of payment they must use."

The move comes after Wal-Mart and other retailers sued MasterCard and rival Visa in 1996, arguing that they used their market power to force merchants to accept their higher-cost, signature-verified debit cards.

In the suit, retailers argued that the fees on signature-verified debit cards cost retailers more than 10 times more per transaction than ones that require the customer to punch in a PIN.

Visa agreed to pay about $2 billion and MasterCard agreed to pay about $1 billion to settle the suit in late April.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Wal-Mart reached a deal to accept Visa signature debit-card transactions at a lower fee than Visa currently charges, but the new fees had not yet gone into effect.

Wal-Mart declined to comment on negotiations.

Dolly<3
12-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Wal-Mart said it would continue accepting MasterCard credit cards, and "most" customers could still use MasterCard debit cards if they punched in a personal identification number, or PIN. Fees are much lower with the PIN system.

Whew!

Taegus
12-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Not that I am a fan of either Master-Card or Wal-Mart, but seems to me that if MasterCard was smart, they would negotiate with Wal-Mart - Wal-Mart is a huge retailer and if they quit taking signature verified Debit cards from Master-Card, a large portion of consumers may quit using their MasterCards as much, costing MasterCard not only money in lost fees from Wal-Mart, but from consumers also.

I personally don't have a MasterCard debit card, but I prefer to use my debit card as a credit card (signature verified, rather than PIN verified) because I find it easier.

Just my humble opinion. :)

Anthill
12-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Well our Bank now charges when ever you use your Debit Card using the pin number. SO I would always tell the Cashier Credit so I wouldn't have to enter the pin # and get charged. I just had to sign.

cab244
12-03-2003, 03:13 PM
I won't be using my mastercard debit card at walmart if they stop letting me sign for purchases. My bank also charges an (atm) fee when I use my pin #. When I sign the merchant has to pay the fee.

PreciousDarlin
12-03-2003, 03:33 PM
My bank is the same way. If I use my PIN at the point of sale machine, I get charged, but not if I signed for it. And it just so happens that my bank debit card is Mastercard sponsered. Guess it's back to writing checks at Walmart.....

freebiegrl22
12-03-2003, 04:35 PM
I know it sucks for some customers, but I really think Walmart is taking a great stand for customers. The more Walmart has to pay, the more we have to pay as the consumer. I think it is cool they took a stand, and in the end, I think Master card will sway.

annie169
12-03-2003, 05:25 PM
So, what about my Prepaid Master Card?? Will they take it?? I have to sign for purchases on it, but have a PIN # for ATM withdrawels???

silvermist
12-03-2003, 07:23 PM
I have a Visa backed debit card and when I swipe it through the machine it automatically takes it as a debit. I have no choice to use it as a credit as with other stores. That was a good idea about checks lol to not get charged that 50 cent fee. I can't believe I've never thought about it before hehe Thanks for givin me that idea duuhh to me lol

dreamer2000
12-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by freebiegrl22
I know it sucks for some customers, but I really think Walmart is taking a great stand for customers. The more Walmart has to pay, the more we have to pay as the consumer. I think it is cool they took a stand, and in the end, I think Master card will sway.

I agree. :D

jdglmg
12-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by silvermist
I have a Visa backed debit card and when I swipe it through the machine it automatically takes it as a debit. I have no choice to use it as a credit as with other stores. That was a good idea about checks lol to not get charged that 50 cent fee. I can't believe I've never thought about it before hehe Thanks for givin me that idea duuhh to me lol

Usually when that happens, if you hit cancel, it will ask you if it's debit or credit and you can use it as a credit card.