PDA

View Full Version : Tarantula!!

IselaRose
11-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi y'all,
I just aquired a tarantuals. YAY ME. this is good actually, I was just wondering if anyone out there has any care advice for it. Also I heard somewhere that u can remove the fangs :confused: Well any tib bits would be appreciated? Also how high do they jump, My hubby is NOT HAPPY !!

Mike'sWife
11-19-2003, 12:14 PM
oohhh!!! Brave you! I have arachnaphobia!

IselaRose
11-19-2003, 12:18 PM
LOL, I will start teaching next sep. wouldn't he be fun in there

adair
11-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Tarantulas do jump, but not too high. We had one as a pet a few years ago and he scared me one day when I was putting food and water into his containers. Mealy worms and crickets are the foods I usually gave it.

Have not heard of defanging a tarantula, you might call your local vet and just ask if it is a procedure that can be done.

spyfox
11-19-2003, 04:34 PM
I use to raise tarantulas a few years back. You CANNOT de-fang them...it would kill them, They use their fangs to inject the venom into the prey item, to help pre-digest it, then use them to slurp up the goodness. i know, kinda gross, but without them they would die.By the way, tarantula venom is just like a bee sting, only bad if you are alergic.

sinned96
11-19-2003, 08:27 PM
I love spiders

shelhop
11-19-2003, 09:52 PM
I dated a guy that had a tarantula. He had her for a long time, never got bit, and he had her out of her tank all the time. Seems to me the worse problem was that if you startled her, she would fling these tiny hairs on you. Not fun. The hairs caused a really bad rash. But even that only happened a couple of times.
Good luck!

IselaRose
11-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Thank you all so much for all your suggestions and help!

Kyla Kym
11-20-2003, 12:48 PM
I was at the pet shop the other night and they had a baby rat in the tank with one. I asked the lady why it was in there since it looked as big as the spider and she said it was going to be food for it. I almost started crying because it was so cute and fuzzy. About the size of a hamster but it didn't have it's eye's open yet. Don't think I could stand to feed tiny cute fuzzy critters to spiders or snakes.

feliciac
11-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
Don't think I could stand to feed tiny cute fuzzy critters to spiders or snakes.

That's the reason there won't be any snakes or other live food eating critters in my house, lol. I can't even stand feeding feeder fish to Pacu's. EEEEEWWWWW!!!!!

YankeeMary
11-20-2003, 04:04 PM
My wonderful sister (WVCindy) bought my son a tarantula about 3 years ago he (Clyde) truly was a great pet, he didn't pee on the floor, he didn't bark, and didn't have to go to the vet ever...lol..but he died less then a year ago. Trantualas shed their skin just like a snake does...even the lining of their lungs shed in order for them to get bigger...somewhere we have a wonderful book on trantulas I will try to find it and if you are interested in it email me and I will send it to you...also...Spyfox was 100% right about what she said their fangs and such...Have a good evening...God Bless, Mary