PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need suggestions for Grandpa's Christmas present!!!

JazzMama
11-17-2003, 09:15 AM
I have a major dilemma and thought I'd post to see if anyone else has an idea. My grandfather is in his seventies and pretty much has everything he needs (tools, clothes, what-nots). He lives in the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas and is retired. So, I don't have any idea of what to get him for Christmas. I've looked at some of the gift baskets from Figi's and Hickory Farms, but I'd really hate to just give him a basket of food. Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated!!

HaveKids,LostMind
11-17-2003, 09:17 AM
A nice pocket knife! Granpa's and pocket knives go together!

gemini26
11-17-2003, 09:25 AM
What are his likes and dislikes? Maybe something as simple as you getting one of those baskets and going and "kidnapping" him or else giving him a coupon to use that you must honor when he asks at his convenienceto have a nice outing with you somewhere. If he has something he likes to do like fishing take him (just the two fo you) and a picnic lunch and go fishing. Best gift you can give is yourself.

JazzMama
11-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Hobbies: Writes music, being outdoors, playing guitar, singing

He lives about 4 hours away, so it's kind of hard to see him as often as I like.

Ladytiger
11-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Grandpa items:
A nice pocket watch
slippers
a massage chair or the pad that goes on one
warm gloves

DBackFan
11-17-2003, 10:07 AM
The pocket watch is a great idea and fairly inexpensive ones can be found. I engraved one for my Grandpa and he was buried with it. Nice reminder of you. :)

shelhop
11-17-2003, 01:09 PM
The best gift I ever gave my grandpa was a collection of old radio show cassettes, like True Detective Mysteries or Fibber McGee. He loved listening to those blasts from the past. There were comedies, mysteries, drama, and even quiz shows.
I don't know where you could find any of them, either on cassette or probably CD now, but probably Amazon.com would be a good bet. Or check out the gift shop in a Cracker Barrel store. They offer a lot of nastalgic things.

zitra
11-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Maybe a giftcertificate somewhere..does he fish or have a fav. sport? Maybe a gift certificate to a sporting goods store

Ladytiger
11-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Does he like tea or coffe?
You can make a basket up of different flavored tea boxes (same with coffee), or even hot chocolate, get a pretty mug, pad the basket with a few pretty kitchen towels, and there you go.
Need more ideas?

gemini26
11-17-2003, 02:49 PM
I still say since you live so far away go pick him up for the day. Would be a long day for you but I bet he would be thrilled since you don't see each other so often. Or maybe talk to him and meet half way somewhere and just spend the day with each other.

Quaker_Parrots
11-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Do you crochet? a warm winter afghan is always a welcome gift (or even a quilt if you sew)

Princess4J
11-17-2003, 03:30 PM
HOW ABOUT A COLLAGE OF PICTURES OF THE TWO OF YOU TOGETHER ?
HE MIGHT REALLY ENJOY THAT.

cinnamonch
11-17-2003, 03:34 PM
How about a scrap book?

See if you can get a hold of pics when he was younger, with his friends, at family outings.

Maybe a video? Have different members of the family and friends recall special moments they've had with him. (sorta like the "It's your Life" show.

These would be things he can view over and over

Electric Chameleon
11-17-2003, 06:32 PM
I was just going to suggest some pictures, or an album, or family and friends, with captions, but someone else beat me to it! LOL

I also like the idea of a throw, or how about a collage of video tapes not a collage a montage of footage of relatives and friends wishing him a Merry Christmas and reflecting on his life!

Let us know what you decided!

EC

weebit29
11-17-2003, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to let ya'll know that you made me cry ......your gift ideas were so wonderful and sweet and brought me many memories. My grandfather turned 82 the 13th if November and I had no idea what to get him for Christmas. He loves fishing and hunting but can't go anymore, he isn't able to get around very well. He gets mad if you get him something that he feels is wasting money, like cologne or more clothes etc. I already gave him a pocket watch a few years back. He loves candy and animals but is now a diabetic and has cats dogs etc........but the picture thing was a wonderful and new idea for me. I did a frame of various family photos for my youngest uncle a few years back of his mom and my dad and our granny that had all passed away in the past few years and I still think that was one of the best gifts I ever gave him. I think for my grandfather I am going to go back thru the picture albums and get a shot of him with each of us 11 grandchildren when we were small with him and piece them together. Of course a new pocket knife is in order too, who knows how many more Christmas's I will have with him :(. Ok I must be just in a crying mood tonight

Missy