PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else do this? {cooking question}

ttistin
11-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Ok when I cook ground beef then when I drain the fat from it I put it in a strainer and then I pour some hot water over it, to get all the grease off it.

Does anyone else do this? We have gotten so used to it, not mentioning the fact that it is better for us. that when we do eat at mil's house and she makes lasagna or whatever it will make us sick to our tummys. Hers is so greasy you can see a layer of grease on the top of it. I know nasty. It never bothered dh before but since I started rinsing off the meat he cant stand it any other way.

I was just wondering if we really are a strange family or if anyone else does this. lol

LadyBones
11-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Your not the only one that does that! I do too ;)

buttrfli
11-15-2003, 02:14 PM
I do it too.... I never did until I met my husband, and when he saw me put the hamburger back into a pan without rinsing it, he flipped LOL :D

ttistin
11-15-2003, 02:18 PM
OMG I am so happy I am not the only one lol For some reason I just thought I was:) I have been dying to tell MIL about trying it but I just know she will flip if I even mention something like it.

Boy do I feel better knowing I am not the only strange one out there :D LOL :D :) :) :)

Unicornmom77
11-15-2003, 02:24 PM
We also do that!! LOL Hubby doesnt when he cooks but I always do!

Kyla Kym
11-15-2003, 02:39 PM
I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I'm surprised there are so many of you that do that. LOL
Doesn't it take away from the flavor?

kriskay
11-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I do that too. I can't stand all the fat in it.

LadyBones
11-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I'm surprised there are so many of you that do that. LOL
Doesn't it take away from the flavor?

I never noticed a flavor difference, i don't think it takes the flavor away at all, i season it after i rinse it anyways. I can tell the difference when i eat at fast food resteraunts and grab a hamburger, i am totally sick afterwards.

Danny
11-15-2003, 04:30 PM
How do you make your meatloaf? (wife asked me to ask)

tsquared
11-15-2003, 04:34 PM
T writes this down so his future wife will do the hamburger cooking to perfection.lol
Never knew this was done.......how cool

leewill72
11-15-2003, 04:42 PM
I don't drain it when i do meatloaf, but when i fry the ground beef in the pan, i dump it into a strainer/colander and rinse the meat off, but not neccessarily the pan.

DAVESBABYDOLL
11-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by tsquared
T writes this down so his future wife will do the hamburger cooking to perfection.lol
Never knew this was done.......how cool

I drain and pat with a paper towel,I don't rinse it. ;)

LadyBones
11-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Danny
How do you make your meatloaf? (wife asked me to ask)

I don't make Meatloaf ;)

And on those rare occasions that DH wants it, i use ground Turkey :D

Willow
11-15-2003, 04:49 PM
When I buy hamburger I get either the ground sirloin or the kind that has only 3% fat and is 97% ground beef. I do drain it but I've never rinsed it. I know that people drain it but I've never heard of anyone actually rinsing the meat off. I guess you learn something new every day. lol When I make meatloaf I put ketchup on the top during the last 15 minutes of cooking it so when I take it out of the oven I always drain any grease off if there is any. Usually there isn't that much anyhow.

Danny
11-15-2003, 05:06 PM
OK Thanks - she will try it with skillet cooked meat - as long as nobody messes with perfection (AKA the meatloaf) I will try not to complain.

Bohemut
11-15-2003, 05:48 PM
I don't rinse hamburger because I buy the "diet lean" which is only 7% fat. When I cook it there isn't any grease to rinse off. I have done it with sausage and higher fat hamburger though.

And as for meatloaf I use a mixture of the lean hamburger, sausage and ground turkey. I cook it on a rack so any/all grease drips into the pan so the meatloaf isn't sitting/cooking in grease.

queenangie
11-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Before Weight Watchers: rinsed the cooked meat, hamburger or turkey,with running water.

After Weight Watchers: now I rinse the meat in a colander for 60 seconds under running water and then season with spices.

I'm making chili right now...funny this thread comes up. Just got done with the rinsing and the chili is simmering. Mmmmmmmm, do you all smell it?

twinkiesmom
11-15-2003, 06:37 PM
I gotta say, I've never heard of this. For the last 5yrs, we were eating hamburg/beef from cattle my sil raised and because of what they were fed, the meat had very little fat. Now that I'm back buying store bought beef, I can sure see the difference. I'll just bet that rinsing would make a less greasy chili. Hmmmmm. Sounds like I know what I'm making for supper tomorrow! lol queenangie . . . your chili smells marvelous, dahling.

Xica
11-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Patchouli
When I buy hamburger I get either the ground sirloin or the kind that has only 3% fat and is 97% ground beef. I do drain it but I've never rinsed it.

I buy the same type of meat and drain, too.
When I buy fattier meat, I do drain and rinse or blot with a paper towel.

Whitequeen39
11-15-2003, 07:43 PM
I have been doing the draining/rinsing thing ever since I can remember, I think it started in my anorexic yrs and though I have conquered the anorexia, I still am all for getting rid of as much fat as possible! I have given this tip to everyone I know. I know what you guys mean about getting an upset stomach from places that don't do that...we all do too,lol.

annie169
11-15-2003, 07:49 PM
I actually read in the American Heart Association Cookbook that rinsing the fat off your hamburger even if its the high fat kind, will lower the fat to the 7% lean fat content and not lose the flavor. I do it all the time.

BigLyd1
11-15-2003, 08:54 PM
I've never done this or heard about anybody doing it. I always buy the extra lean (15% fat). It's good to know that if I ever buy the fatty kind, that I can just rinse it. Thanks for the tip :)

babystar0729
11-15-2003, 10:54 PM
WHAT??? and take away the secret ingredient AKA FAT???? j/k I dont RINSE but I do DRAIN

asickchick
11-16-2003, 08:34 AM
I used to do this but now just pat it dry..I can taste the difference when it has been rinsed!

MistyWolf
11-16-2003, 08:48 AM
I rinse here.