PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Leap Pad ?

sunnybowl2002
11-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Does anyone have an opinion they would like to share regarding the Leap Pad system?

I am trying to decide which to get for my 4 year old daughter for Christmas. I have heard that the "Go" button can sometimes be a problem.

I am trying to decide between the Fisher Price TouchPad system and the Leap Pad with Writing.

Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.:D

FreeIs4Me
11-14-2003, 09:22 PM
I just got my daughter the LeapPad Plus for her 4th birthday (this past August). The novelty has not worn off at all! This is one of her most favorite "toys". If she is not playing with her dolls, or dress up, she is playing with the LeapPad! I only had to show her how it worked a couple of times. She changes the books & cartridges by herself. :) She loves the Princess story book the most (she is soooooooo into Disney Princesses! :) ). Her next favorite is the writing books. The writing books have mazes to do as well as teach them how to write her letters. Before this, she was writing her S's backwards. After 2 days of this, she writes them correctly! The writing book has helped her soo much!! I never even considered the touch book. I feel the touch book to her would be just like the other touch electronic toys - fun at first then in her toybox after a couple of days.

I don't know anything about the touch pad, but the LeapPad has over 50 books that can be used - including the ones for the Quantum. This is something that will grow with her. They have new books coming out, too!

She ALWAYS takes this with her on car trips, too! This is definitely one of the best investments I have made for her.
It has been accidentally dropped & nothing has broken. She has never had a problem with the pencil or the GO button ( or any other button).

cpbaby
11-14-2003, 10:02 PM
My mom gave my (then) 4 yr old neice a Leap Pad for Christmas last year. She LOVES it. My nephew(2 yrs old) loves it too.

lvsyorkies
11-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Go look at Amazon.com reviews. I had bought the reading one and ret'd it after readint the reviews.

annie169
11-14-2003, 11:54 PM
We had the leappad and loved it. Now, I'm also looking at the Leap pad with writing for my almost 4 year old (she turns 4 on 1/4). WE still have a lot of the books and cartridges which she can use on the writing one. I want the writing one to help get her started for Kindergarten. The Fisher Price we looked at, all you do is push buttons on it. Nothing to help teach her writing and such.

the1bea
11-15-2003, 06:28 AM
My son got a My 1st leap pad for his birthday, it is one of the best presents that he has ever recived!!! We had to buy ALL of the books for it!!! Santa might bring the regular leap pad to him. ;) The GO button can have glitches, but we just turn it off and back on again and it is fine, plus it really only did that when the batteries were getting low. But this is one of the best toys that my son ever recived!!!

newwiccan
11-15-2003, 08:54 AM
My son has had a Leap Pad since he was 3 (he's 5 now) and loves it! We bought him the new writing one and did have to exchange it because of the go button but that's the only problem we've ever had.

NINK
11-15-2003, 09:29 AM
we don't have the one with writing, but we have the regular leap pad and my son has had it for over a year now, he is 5 now. he still loves it. he is getting new books for it for chritmas this year. we never have had any problems with it, he has always been able to do it all on his own. my only complaint is that it doesn't have an ac adapter, only runs off batteries. my one year old is getting the leap pad learning desk for christmas this year.

sunnybowl2002
11-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your insight.

It looks like we are going to go with the Leap Pad with Writing.

I hope my daughter enjoys hers as much as your children have.

Thanks again:)

Sparkli
11-15-2003, 07:00 PM
hey, can I ask about this too??? WHat is the youngest age that you have gotten a leap pad for??? I havent sat and looked at one but Iwould like to get one for my nephew but.... he is only 20 months... do they make them for that age? He's really advanced (says the biased aunt ;) ) But I am still not sure... what do you all think??

thanks
tammy!

Whitequeen39
11-15-2003, 08:02 PM
They have one for babies and then there is the my first leap pad that I just got for my son's 3rd b-day, he loves it! I forget what the baby one is called, they have it at amazon cause I did consider it for my 1yr. old as he was a preemie and has delays. I think if you are looking for a 20 mos old that I might just go with the my first leap pad, especially if he is indeed "advanced".