PDA

View Full Version : Stupid WAMU!!!!!

Bohemut
11-14-2003, 07:04 PM
I have my mortgage with Washinton Mutual (WAMU). It's set up for automatic withdrawal every month from my checking account, which is with another bank. I was looking at my checking account info online today and found that WAMU withdrew the house payment on the 10th, and there is another withdrawal pending for the same amount today! I called my bank and they said I could do a stop-payment which costs $22.00 or I could let it go through. But she said I should call WAMU first and find out what's going on. I called WAMU and got a recorded message that said the auto-withdrawal payments made on the 10th were redone on the 14th due to some computer error. They will refund any overdraft/insufficient fees charges. No mention of whether or not they will refund the extra payment. Also the message stated that their customer services reps had no more information than was on the pre-recorded message. What a load of crap!!!!! :mad: This isn't the first screwy thing they've done. We've had our mortgage for a little over three years and at least twice a year they come up with something weird (like taking exta money so they can pay insurance and taxes and then not paying them but refunding the money to us later????).

I don't have a large house payment, and I have enough money in the account to cover it with no problem. But it still makes me mad that they are being so "oh well" about it. What about all the other people who do have large house payments and who can't afford two payments in one month? How are they going to make it? Is WAMU going to do anything to help them pay their other bills? I think not since the recording only mentioned refunding NSF and overdraft fees. That doesn't mean the bank with the overdrawn account will honor any of those checks. For me it's an inconvenience, but for others it's a major calamity! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I will be so glad when we get a new house and never have to deal with WAMU again!

DAVESBABYDOLL
11-14-2003, 08:12 PM
That's why I have never done automatic withdrawls...

Hope it gets fixed :)

Willow
11-15-2003, 07:20 AM
That's why I will never do automatic withdrawls. Nobody is going to have my personal information. One of the tellers at the bank told me that it's not a good idea to do things like that. I know a lot of people do it though. Not me!!! I have heard way too many horror stories about people taking out more money than they should. No one but me is going to have access to my bank accounts.

Jaidness
11-15-2003, 07:40 AM
nothing like a bank to screw things up royally and then have such an uncaring attitude about it. I wish it would happen to them sometimes so they could feel what it is like!

GINGER
11-15-2003, 09:58 AM
I write checks out every month because of stories just like this. My FIL believes whole heartedly in online banking and automatic withdraw, I keep thinking that he is going to get burned...
Hope everything gets worked out

DaLilPeachy
11-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Yeah auto pay sucks. The only reason a lot of people get it is because of the rate concession. I would cancel it. Sorry this happened to you.

twinkiesmom
11-15-2003, 02:22 PM
I have a WAMU mortgage and that's one of the only bills I don't have done auto withdrawal cuz if I have the extra cash, I like putting extra on my principle. But I had almost considered doing auto pay. I think I'll just keep writing checks. Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully, they straighten it all out w/o screwing you in the end.

Danny
11-15-2003, 04:19 PM
We have WAMU for our mortgage too but prefer to go the 4 blocks to pay in person. I am a trusting person generally but not with my bank accounts. I want to be the only one who has access to them.

schsa
11-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Never do an automatic withdrawl. Then you are depending on two machines to communicate correctly with each other. I know enough about computers to know that they aren't that reliable and I prefer that check so I know when it went out and when it came back to my bank. I don't even like drafts that they do with the bank cards in the grocery store. Cash or check.

hotwheelstx
11-16-2003, 03:24 AM
We've done this in the past only to of been BURNED BIG TIME.

I wish every company that uses this option would take it away. Causes nothing but heartache, grief, unwanted charges.

Yes, sometimes you're late but I would much rather pay those late charges than overdrafts, trying to find where the money went to, when it was done.

(((((((((((((((((Bo)))))))))))))))))))))

Bo,

Did you get my note????

feliciac
11-17-2003, 03:12 PM
I guess I am gonna be the lone stranger on this one, but I have been using auto pay for years now and have not had one problem with it. I have had two different car notes from two different companies and my mortgage at a third company and not one problem and my car insurance at yet another company. Yes, you do have to be careful, but it does work.

((((((((((((bohemut)))))))))))

Maybe you could find a branch and go talk to them directly? Sometimes that makes it easier.

Bohemut
11-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Actually it's worked out okay. WAMU reversed their withdrawal. I just wish their recording would have said they were going to do it. It was alright for us (we have a relatively small mortgage payment because we bought a repo'd manufactured home) but there are people who have high payments and it was them I was most concerned about/for.

We've had other problems with them from the beginning, but this is the first time something like this happened. They have screwed up so many times I don't know how they can stay in business. I've talked to a couple of neihbors who have them too, and they have similar stories to mine. It's like they have two different departments to deal with one issue, and they don't communicate. So you will get information from one department, then a day or two later you get conflicting information from another. :rolleyes: I spent hours on several days just getting the escrow withholding for insurance taken care of (they decided not to pay for the insurance even though they included it in our monthly payment--we got a refund, but still. Jeesh!)

mommyme
11-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey Debra, I just read this. I'm so sorry this happened and you had that stress to deal with. I had to call DishNetwork earlier because we thought they were about to take out TWO payments for our satellite bill. Turns out one withdrawl was showing for the previous month, so it wasn't getting taken OUT. Otherwise we would be overdrawn. Unless something like this happens, it makes things easy to have your payments automatically taken out. BUT, as with anything, it has its drawbacks, too :rolleyes:

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}