PDA

View Full Version : How the HECK do these people function in life?

momfromTN
11-13-2003, 08:00 AM
I take orders for infomercials for different products and services. Today, I took an order for an educational product. One question asked if your child is just starting reading or is having problems? This woman actually had to ask someone with her if her own child is beginning reading or not. Then, a medical product, I had to repeat a doctor's name and address 5 times. I am not kidding. 10 times! I enunciated and spoke clearly and distinctly. I spoke slowly. Still, I had to repeat 5 times. Then there are people who have NO clue what their adresses, zip codes or phone numbers are. And ones who call and have NO IDEA what they are ordering. Let me ask: if you are going to order something and give out your CC #, would you NOT know what the heck you are ordering? Then there are people who will gladly give you a CC #, but flip out if you ask for their phone number. Then there are the lovely perverts who love to call and ask you, oh just LOTS of sordid things. People really need a life! LOL!

Ok rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled program~!:D

dlwt
11-13-2003, 08:41 AM
You know this may be silly but when I call to order ANYTHING including pizza I write down my phone number and address because when they ask if it aint written down I draw a BLANK!!! hOPE THE REST OF YOUR DAY GOES BETTER

momfromTN
11-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Yeah but at least you have a clue. I mean these people have NO CLUE at all! The day did go better. ThanX!

ezmoney163
11-13-2003, 12:04 PM
I USED to wok at a business that sells out of catalogs and I used to always think the same thing. LOL I had people wh would call to order things and 100 or more times you would have to ask them for the customer# & the priority code. What did they want to order. ETC. Half never knew what the heck they even wanted when they called, then if they did know what they wanted they didnt know who they were .LOL I loved my job it was a riot, we had a blast. To bad it was just seasonal!!

MoodyBlues
11-13-2003, 09:24 PM
lol MomfromTN.. I had one earlier give me their SS# when I asked them for their zip code. But when it came time for their e-mail address they flipped and said "I don't want to get spam e-mail, so NO".

I thought to myself.. well, you just gave me your SS# when I never even asked for it, but you won;t give out your E-MAIL!

I agree, with this job it sure makes you wonder about some people.

heavenheir
11-13-2003, 10:52 PM
May I add a piece of personal insight please? TY.
Many years ago I OD'ed on prescription meds (2 kinds) because life was too difficult. I had lived a quiet sheltered life and had no need to learn coping skills, or so I thought. (Actually, I didn't even know about "coping skills"). To make a long story short: I nearly died, and: One of the meds destroys brain cells (I found this out many years later). After I was released from the hospital I was really scared because I could not remember my Mom's house; how to get to a Church I had attended all my life; and songs I HAD known by heart but couldn't even make myself remember! There was much more but I didn't want to get carried away! Over the years I have managed to re-learn a lot of things but there are still plenty of times when my memory fails me. I am probably one of the ones who can't remember everyday things, on the phone or in person. I am ALWAYS greatful to the person who doesn't try to hurry me or who doesn't show their irritation. I don't care, laugh at me AFTER I am off the phone, but PLEASE treat me like a human being to my face. I am a very sensitive, caring, loving person and impatient people can leave a scar that takes forever to heal. Just like "you" I am trying to get along as best as I can--it isn't a game. I apologize for the sermon but I felt like maybe people don't see the PERSON on the other end of the phone, and that includes myself at times also! (And she slowly slinks down off the soapbox and tries to hide somewhere before people realize she's gone.....after people leave and her heart moves back down out of her throat................)

momfromTN
11-14-2003, 03:47 AM
Ok, let me set this straight. I was venting frustration at having person after person after person doing these things. I am very nice with my customers, and I smile so they can hear it in my voice. I fully realize I cannot see the person and do not know the whole story. I have nearly lost my voice yelling so a practically deaf man could hear me. I have repeated things 10 times so someone gets it. I always treat people respectfully. But I am human too. Sometimes it gets to you. And ya gotta let off steam. I have also waited several minutes for someone to retrieve a credit card or checkbook and their mailing information.

This is not job I love doing. But it the only job I can find with flexible hours, and we have to pay bills, so I do it. But, I do my best. :)

Linus1223
11-14-2003, 08:09 AM
Do you have people call to order somethign and then they don't have there credit card? I work at an optical place and when people call to order contacts, I never understand why people call to buy something and then have to put ME on hold so they can go in the other room to get their credit card. If you're plannign on buying something, why don't you gt your CC out beforehand?

heavenheir
11-16-2003, 11:54 AM
momfromTN---
Please don't take what I said personally. I was not referring to you and I would never intentionally hurt someone. I am sorry if my comments hurt you. I was only trying to show people that there is another side of the population who don't want to be this way, but that is the way it is anyway. I try to be pleasant and would like to get the same in return but more often than not it doesn't happen that way. Some people just are not cut out to be in the job they are in. I saw that very plainly when I was doing a field placement in Social Work. I was so very disappointed to see that there were uncaring people in that field of work also--so why do they do it? I mean, this is a profession that needed caring people so if they didn't want to be bothered, why didn't they choose another career? I'm certain you do a great job and I know people can be annoying when they KNOW what they need but don't have it available! Like getting on a bus and not having your money ready so everyone waiting to get on have to stand in the cold waiting until someone counts their pennies! I meant no harm to anyone and hope no one took offense.

momfromTN
11-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by heavenheir
momfromTN---
Please don't take what I said personally. I was not referring to you and I would never intentionally hurt someone. I am sorry if my comments hurt you. I was only trying to show people that there is another side of the population who don't want to be this way, but that is the way it is anyway. I try to be pleasant and would like to get the same in return but more often than not it doesn't happen that way. Some people just are not cut out to be in the job they are in. I saw that very plainly when I was doing a field placement in Social Work. I was so very disappointed to see that there were uncaring people in that field of work also--so why do they do it? I mean, this is a profession that needed caring people so if they didn't want to be bothered, why didn't they choose another career? I'm certain you do a great job and I know people can be annoying when they KNOW what they need but don't have it available! Like getting on a bus and not having your money ready so everyone waiting to get on have to stand in the cold waiting until someone counts their pennies! I meant no harm to anyone and hope no one took offense.

With the written word, sometimes the inflection and tone in the voice is missed. I was not offended, I just wanted you to know what I meant. ;)

heavenheir
11-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Thank You!